De'Eric Mister commits

A great start to this Sunday!

giphy.gif

Congratulations Eric!

We need more athletic cerebral players like him on the team.

I imagine kids are pretty tough that come from Gary, Indiana. A couple people got shot at one of the city's High School graduation ceremonies a couple days ago

It's remarkable how many Gopher commits have Army and Air Force offers. Especially Army. The majority of the class has a service academy offer and a couple more guys have Ivy League.

While it's a little concerning to see the Gophers recruiting against the MAC and G5 schools more than in the past under Fleck, it's likely that the Gophers are at least bringing in solid young men who will perform in the classroom.

It's remarkable how many Gopher commits have Army and Air Force offers. Especially Army. The majority of the class has a service academy offer and a couple more guys have Ivy League.

While it's a little concerning to see the Gophers recruiting against the MAC and G5 schools more than in the past under Fleck, it's likely that the Gophers are at least bringing in solid young men who will perform in the classroom.

I've been trying to word something like this but not sound negative. Thanks for doing it for me...

With that said. Welcome aboard the boat... He's taking up 2 seats....

1st...welcome to Gold County!

2nd...offers are something that always intrigue me. It's been interesting to look at offers over the years from Brew to Kill to Claeys to PJ. I'm speaking very generally, but over the years the 'bottom' of the class, often the Gophers were the only P5 offer. Seems PJ has done a nice job bringing up the floor. Mister has a Kentucky offer. Elliott has Kansas. I think current only Peters doesn't have a P5 offer and he's in our back yard and just camped here. Seems to be a stronger floor and more competition. Hopefully PJ can continue to raise the ceiling and become that strong developmental program he describes.

I imagine kids are pretty tough that come from Gary, Indiana. A couple people got shot at one of the city's High School graduation ceremonies a couple days ago
Yeah Gary manages to have a reputation … even among folks in Chicago…

Too bad, the song is good.

the coaches apparently saw something they like in this kid, so let's hope he can develop.

but - according to 247:

he is the 20th ranked player overall in Indiana and the 117th-ranked OT nationally.

again, I am NOT saying that he can't develop into a decent player.

I would just like to see the Gophers set their sights higher.

Fleck is about Order over Chaos, he is the Jordan Peterson of College Football. You would expect Service Academy types to be attracted to him.

the coaches apparently saw something they like in this kid, so let's hope he can develop.

but - according to 247:

he is the 20th ranked player overall in Indiana and the 117th-ranked OT nationally.

Elite athleticism, huge frame, great wingspan and not with a football power and only 4 years playing football. It is good having a project that could develop. OT Early went to a HS that my HS beat in Missouri 42 to 0. He was far from a finished product and not highly ranked until he blew up at a camp the Gophers were at. Reminders me a lot of Mister

but - according to 247:

I'm sure the coaches see something in him that makes him a higher ranked player that listed. We'll know more for sure in a few years.

but - according to 247:

I am sure they did set their sights higher, but if they think they can develop this kid, then great, go for it. Lowly rated o-linemen come out of nowhere and develop into nfl players all the time. Look no further than John Michael Schmitz vs Curtis Dunlap. I trust Callahan to identify talent as he has a solid track record of doing so.

but - according to 247:

I've been trying to be positive about what seems like the 'slide' in recruiting in the last year and perhaps longer.

It seems to me we're not getting the looks from the big boys these days and I'm not sure what to attribute that to. NIL???

I do know one thing; when I brought this up last year that things seemed to be trending down, I was called a 'Star Chaser' even though the stars do actually mean something 'most' of the time.

I still get excited this time of the year to see what interest there is in the program but my level of excitement has certainly diminished due to recent results.

Here's to knowing we still have time to reel in some 'huge' gets!! 🥃

I've been trying to be positive about what seems like the 'slide' in recruiting in the last year and perhaps longer.

It seems to me we're not getting the looks from the big boys these days and I'm not sure what to attribute that to. NIL???

I do know one thing; when I brought this up last year that things seemed to be trending down, I was called a 'Star Chaser' even though the stars do actually mean something 'most' of the time.

I still get excited this time of the year to see what interest there is in the program but my level of excitement has certainly diminished due to recent results.

The stars mean something most of the time when looking at large sample sizes. I’m guessing some coaching staffs have higher hit rates with lower rated players than other staffs. Look at all the guys rated lower than .85 from Fleck’s first class that stuck around, developed, and became very good players. With free transfers the roster construction and transfers are every bit as important as stars. If you take the top three players from each class from 2017-2021, at least one has transferred out at some point, sometimes two. So I don’t think landing the big knockers has been the key to Fleck’s success. Yes we can point to Bateman (who wasn’t highly rated when he committed) but for the most part the success has come from finding underrated guys at all positions, not just as OL and RB like Mason, or DB and LB like Kill, but across the board.

I have zero inside knowledge, but to me there's been an intentional shift in recruiting to fill the bottom of the class with guys who are less likely to transfer quickly (i.e., local kids and those with really high character who are drawn to MN for reasons other than FB). I mean, a certain percentage of Minnesota's class is always going to be developmental guys who won't see the field for 3 years. Would you rather have a mid to high 3-star kid who leaves after a year, or a lower 3-star kid who stays 3 years so you really have a chance to develop him and see if he can make an impact? I could be very wrong and just rationalizing, but in a normal year, I don't think the staff would've jumped so quickly on a couple of the local kids and projects like Mister.

I have zero inside knowledge, but to me there's been an intentional shift in recruiting to fill the bottom of the class with guys who are less likely to transfer quickly (i.e., local kids and those with really high character who are drawn to MN for reasons other than FB). I mean, a certain percentage of Minnesota's class is always going to be developmental guys who won't see the field for 3 years. Would you rather have a mid to high 3-star kid who leaves after a year, or a lower 3-star kid who stays 3 years so you really have a chance to develop him and see if he can make an impact? I could be very wrong and just rationalizing, but in a normal year, I don't think the staff would've jumped so quickly on a couple of the local kids and projects like Mister.
Isn't that your argument here, that we're in a new normal (my thought is that you are rationalizing..) by filling the bottom of the class, even though you throw in that "in a normal year", we wouldn't be doing what we're doing?

Sorry, not trying to be an ass, but to me, your last sentence threw your argument off it's track.

I don't think recruiting is sliding as much as it is changing.

Hes' offered and gotten nearly all top MN kids and might run the table on them.

He's getting solid talent elsewhere and seems to be doing good with the portal.

Only time will tell what the verdict is, buthe seems to like smart, solid, develop-able players.

Five stars mean something. High fours stars stand out. Athletically, nobody knows the difference from mid-3 star to low 4 star, including the rating services. Fleck recruits those guys on the basis of work ethic, coachability, and character. He excels at that, rendering class ratings immaterial.

de%20in%20on%3A%20An%20update&body=I%20wrote%20about%20the%20saga%20of%20Hennepin%20County%20Dave%20%20two%20weeks%20ago%20in%20%22Our%20drunk%20sheriff%20and%20the%20SUV%20he%20rode%20in%20on.%22%20Incredibly%2C%20Hutchinson%20is%20still%20the%20sheriff%20of%20Hennepin%20County.%20In%20the%20latest%20update%20to%20the%20story%2C%20the%20Minnesota%20Department%20of%20Public%20Safety%20released%20an%20investigative%20file%20including%20video%20and%20photos%20from%20the%20scene%20of%20Hutchinson%27s%20DWI%20crash%20in%20Alexandria%20last%20month.%20See%2C%20for%20example%2C%20this%20CBS%0D%0A%0D%0ARead%20More%20Here:%20%20https%3A%2F%2Fwww.powerlineblog.com%2Farchives%2F2022%2F01%2Four-drunk-sheriff-and-the-suv-he-rode-in-on-an-update.php%3Futm_source%3Demail%26utm_medium%3Dsw%26utm_campaign%3Dsw

Isn't that your argument here, that we're in a new normal (my thought is that you are rationalizing..) by filling the bottom of the class, even though you throw in that "in a normal year", we wouldn't be doing what we're doing?

Sorry, not trying to be an ass, but to me, your last sentence threw your argument off it's track.
Yeah, poorly worded I agree! I should've said, "in previous years."

Top Bottom