Official 2023 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Darius Taylor had a productive junior season for Walled Lake (Mich.) Western High School, rushing for 1,380 yards and 26 touchdowns and adding 650 receiving yards. This season, he's on pace to blow those numbers away.

Through two games, Taylor, who has committed to the Gophers, has rushed for 542 yards and eight touchdowns for the Warriors. The 5-11, 187-pounder is a three-star recruit who's the 34th-ranked running back nationally and the No. 12 overall recruit in Michigan for the Class of 2023 in the 247Sports composite of major recruiting services.

Taylor started his season with a bang, rushing 27 times for a school-record 345 yards and six touchdowns on runs of 44, 2, 17, 82, 36 and 1 yards in a 47-26 win over South Lyon. He added 42 receiving yards, finishing 13 short of 400 total yards. He followed that up by carrying 32 times for 157 yards and two TDs in a 16-12 win over Walled Lake Northern.

Taylor isn't the only Gophers recruit playing for Walled Lake Western. Quarterback Drew Viotto also has committed to Minnesota. He has completed 14 of 26 passes for 282 yards this season.

Go Gophers!!

Darius Taylor had a productive junior season for Walled Lake (Mich.) Western High School, rushing for 1,380 yards and 26 touchdowns and adding 650 receiving yards. This season, he's on pace to blow those numbers away.

Through two games, Taylor, who has committed to the Gophers, has rushed for 542 yards and eight touchdowns for the Warriors. The 5-11, 187-pounder is a three-star recruit who's the 34th-ranked running back nationally and the No. 12 overall recruit in Michigan for the Class of 2023 in the 247Sports composite of major recruiting services.

Taylor started his season with a bang, rushing 27 times for a school-record 345 yards and six touchdowns on runs of 44, 2, 17, 82, 36 and 1 yards in a 47-26 win over South Lyon. He added 42 receiving yards, finishing 13 short of 400 total yards. He followed that up by carrying 32 times for 157 yards and two TDs in a 16-12 win over Walled Lake Northern.

Taylor isn't the only Gophers recruit playing for Walled Lake Western. Quarterback Drew Viotto also has committed to Minnesota. He has completed 14 of 26 passes for 282 yards this season.

Go Gophers!!
I mean....it is great to see one of our commits having a great season but always cringe a little when guys start putting up video game numbers because it attracts attention. :)

will recruitment for this class be pretty quiet until December?

Go Gophers!!

Suck it Coach Khakis

per Randy:

On Friday, third-ranked Prior Lake played No. 6 Shakopee at Dan Patch Stadium in a Class 6A football matchup the lived up to its billing, with the Lakers emerging with a 24-16 victory over the Sabers.

Playing key roles for Prior Lake in the victory were a pair of players who've committed to the Gophers for their recruiting Class of 2023: defensive lineman Martin Owusu and offensive lineman Greg Johnson.

Lakers coach Matt Gegenheimer sees Owusu as a player who's transformed himself by adding 40 pounds.

"Everybody was a little hesitant [in recruiting] because they didn't know if he was a D tackle or a D end," Gegenheimer said of the 6-3, 280-pound Owusu. "Once the Gophers saw that he was 280 pounds, they knew he could play D tackle for them. He's done a tremendous job in the weight room and physically changed his body, turning into a man."

Through two games, Owusu, a three-star recruit and the No. 5-ranked player in Minnesota in the 2023 class, has eight tackles and two sacks.

"He's an obvious force out there," Gegenheimer said. "He had some inconsistencies as a junior that are not there anymore. Every play, his motor is better, his strength is better, his speed is better. He's been destructive the first couple games."

Go Gophers!!

High school football: Stillwater QB Max Shikenjanski’s stellar start made P.J. Fleck take note. Will others follow suit?​

Max Shikenjanski loves playing quarterback because he loves the spotlight, the big moment, the chance to have the ball in his hands with everything on the line.

So when Stillwater trailed Centennial by 14 points with six minutes to play in a Week 1 game this fall, the Ponies’ senior signal caller was in his element. And he thrived.

Shikenjanski threw two scoring strikes in the final minutes, and capped the comeback by running in the game-winning 2-point conversion to push the Ponies over the top for a scintillating, season-opening victory.

But it wasn’t until Stillwater was on the bus ride home that players realized just how impressive the totality of their offensive performance truly was. The Ponies put up 499 yards of total offense against a stout Centennial defense, including 445 passing yards and four touchdowns from the quarterback.

“We were like ‘Jeez,’ ” Shikenjanski said. “We didn’t really know what just happened. We really didn’t have a clue.”

Those numbers, Stillwater coach Beau LaBore noted, “would suggest that somebody should be more interested” in his quarterback, “whether he says he’s playing basketball or not.”

Shikenjanski is a multi-sport standout who committed to play basketball for The Citadel in August to secure his spot with the program after enjoying his visit to the South Carolina military college.

But it’s not as though Shikenjanski ruled out a future in football at that moment. The quarterback had received interest from a number of football programs, including the Gophers. But those conversations, he noted, ended after the spring.

Until that Week 1 victory. Those numbers piqued P.J. Fleck’s interest. Conversations reignited, and Minnesota offered Shikenjanski a preferred walk-on offer.

“It’s great, it’s kind of a dream of mine,” Shikenjanski said of the Gophers’ interest. “I’ve grown up a Gophers fan, my dad played for the Gophers, so it’s something I’ve dreamed about, so it’s definitely really good.”

Shikenjanski remains committed to The Citadel, but he said the football route is “definitely an option now that Coach Fleck offered me. It’s a tough decision.”

Because while Shikenjanski reiterated that he loves basketball — the sport his father, Jim, played for the Gophers — he added “there’s nothing as good as Friday night lights.”

“Getting to step on the field every single Friday and play with all of my best friends, I mean, it definitely makes me interested more in football and makes me want to play. But I could say the same for basketball. After the season, I don’t ever want to give it up,” he said. “But definitely playing more and getting into the swing of the football and playing a few games, it definitely, yeah, brings my interest up more.”

Go Gophers!!

Manager Rocco Baldelli 'big part of our future,' Twins boss Derek Falvey says​

Twins President of Baseball Operations Derek Falvey shut down any speculation about manager Rocco Baldelli's job security Friday.

The Twins will almost surely miss the playoffs this season. They're 73-77, sitting 10 games out in the American League Central and 9½ out of the wild-card race with 12 games to play, including Friday night against the Angels at Target Field. And while this would be the second consecutive season with no postseason appearance, Baldelli is set to manage for a fifth season in 2023.

"Rocco's our manager. He's my partner in this all the way through. That's never even crossed my mind, quite frankly," Falvey said. "... Rocco's a big part of our future. Not just next year, but beyond."

Win Twins!!

Manager Rocco Baldelli 'big part of our future,' Twins boss Derek Falvey says​

Twins President of Baseball Operations Derek Falvey shut down any speculation about manager Rocco Baldelli's job security Friday.

The Twins will almost surely miss the playoffs this season. They're 73-77, sitting 10 games out in the American League Central and 9½ out of the wild-card race with 12 games to play, including Friday night against the Angels at Target Field. And while this would be the second consecutive season with no postseason appearance, Baldelli is set to manage for a fifth season in 2023.

"Rocco's our manager. He's my partner in this all the way through. That's never even crossed my mind, quite frankly," Falvey said. "... Rocco's a big part of our future. Not just next year, but beyond."

Win Twins!!
Wrong thread

Wonder if any Michigan high school players will be invited to watch the game from our sidelines on Saturday. Is that allowed?

Dang it.....would somebody please tell our RB recruits to stop putting up such eye popping numbers.....looks like we may have a couple really good ones coming in.

Top Bottom