Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Interesting we're 1 score underdogs for the Colorado game.

I like this class so far, we gotta remember where the program came from. We are getting kids with other P5 offers on the regular.

That wasn't the consistent case for a long time.
Last I looked, Ohio State was favored over us by 13.5. I can’t find the Colorado odds, but it seems that making us a 7 point dog is a bit strong. Colorado is a solid team, but not that good. Maybe home field advantage at 5000+ foot altitude is a factor.

They're just trying to get you to bet.

Let's see each team in action first.

Are we officially done recruiting for this class now? Or do we still have open spots?

Pretty good answer given the level of uncertainty with scholarship numbers and what not right now.

If I had to guess, we might see a few additions/changes to the class before signing day but I would think the bulk of the 2022 class is done and it will probably end up being a smaller group than usual.

Pretty good answer given the level of uncertainty with scholarship numbers and what not right now.

If I had to guess, we might see a few additions/changes to the class before signing day but I would think the bulk of the 2022 class is done and it will probably end up being a smaller group than usual.
I suspect it's a spectrum like ... recruiting in general.

There's "we're all full" and "oh gawd YOU!?!?! ... uh yeah we got a spot..." and all sorts of points in between.

I don't think that has any bearing on this class since for the 2022 season we'll be back at 85.
Right, but everyone on the roster for 2020 gets an extra year, right? So it will take some time for those scholarships to trickle back down to normal levels (slash be managed down by retirements/transfers) even as the cap comes back to normal.

Aren't they going to make room for late-commitment announcers like Texas WR Dillon Bell?

Right, but everyone on the roster for 2020 gets an extra year, right? So it will take some time for those scholarships to trickle back down to normal levels (slash be managed down by retirements/transfers) even as the cap comes back to normal.
Yes, 2021 is *the* extra year, we have essentially 2 graduating classes this season, and as soon as spring ball begins for the 2022 season, we'll be back at 85. It's not going to take "some time" - it's just going to be this season and then done. No trickling.

I wonder how crowded the draft-eligible competition will be in the next NFL Draft.

Rashod Bateman declaring early worked in his favor money-wise.

To me, the biggest thing is where we are losing them to. If a kid wants to go to Notre Dame or Stanford, I can't really fault a kid for getting a free ride to such a place. But losing kids to WI, IA, IA State, etc. hurts more. For a lot of us, we have neighbors, friends, family members that are fans of these programs living here, and it's more of a pride/ego thing than a thing that is necessarily something that will have a direct tie to wins/losses. If we were consistently winning games against these teams, it wouldn't hurt so bad. But when you lose both on and off the field, it is very much an ego/pride thing. Take NE for example, we've beat them often enough that losing a kid to NE doesn't sting nearly as much. I see a kid go there, and I just say "WTF would you want to go there of all places??"

Bingo. Big difference between an MN kid choosing an NC contender, a high prestige school like ND, or a historically good destination school and choosing another Midwestern Big Ten school that we compete with on a yearly basis.

Interesting we're 1 score underdogs for the Colorado game.

I like this class so far, we gotta remember where the program came from. We are getting kids with other P5 offers on the regular.

That wasn't the consistent case for a long time.

I'm calling BS. First off...that line makes no sense. Second...I can't find week 3 lines anywhere.

To me, the biggest thing is where we are losing them to. If a kid wants to go to Notre Dame or Stanford, I can't really fault a kid for getting a free ride to such a place. But losing kids to WI, IA, IA State, etc. hurts more. ... Take NE for example, we've beat them often enough that losing a kid to NE doesn't sting nearly as much. I see a kid go there, and I just say "WTF would you want to go there of all places??"
There is someone we know over there that is probably asking that very question himself.

Last edited:

Yes, 2021 is *the* extra year, we have essentially 2 graduating classes this season, and as soon as spring ball begins for the 2022 season, we'll be back at 85. It's not going to take "some time" - it's just going to be this season and then done. No trickling.

We also effectively have two freshman classes (2020 and 2021 recruits) as EVERY player, not just seniors, received an extra year of eligibility. Would-be seniors are juniors, would-be juniors are sophomores, would-be sophomores are freshmen, and there are new freshmen as well. That increase in headcount will not dissipate for years, even if the scholarship cap snaps back to 85.

We also effectively have two freshman classes (2020 and 2021 recruits) as EVERY player, not just seniors, received an extra year of eligibility. Would-be seniors are juniors, would-be juniors are sophomores, would-be sophomores are freshmen, and there are new freshmen as well. That increase in headcount will not dissipate for years, even if the scholarship cap snaps back to 85.
Yeah, I totally missed that part. You are right, I was wrong.

Yeah stuff is gonna be wonky for a while.

Yeah stuff is gonna be wonky for a while.
Yeah, going to add an extra layer of complexity for those that are desperate to try and figure out scholarship numbers each years and how many guys we can sign.

Don't see how we don't take a smaller than average class this year. Beyond that it will just depend on how all the numbers shake out.

I think Fleck and staff are going to wait until after the season to fill up the 2022 class with transfer portal guys.

I think that is perfectly reasonable, and might be "the thing" going forward. 13 high school commits out of 25 possible new scholly counters per season, gives you a nice cushion to bring in a lot of interesting guys from elsewhere, that can help the team.

I think Fleck and staff are going to wait until after the season to fill up the 2022 class with transfer portal guys.

I think that is perfectly reasonable, and might be "the thing" going forward. 13 high school commits out of 25 possible new scholly counters per season, gives you a nice cushion to bring in a lot of interesting guys from elsewhere, that can help the team.
I doubt they take anywhere close to 25 guys this year though, will be interesting to see how many more they add. The recruiting front has been awfully quiet.

I doubt they take anywhere close to 25 guys this year though, will be interesting to see how many more they add. The recruiting front has been awfully quiet.
Depends on how many we lose, in some since. Not talking about guys playing their last season. Talking about other guys who enter the transfer portal, looking to start over elsewhere.

I would be surprised if every team doesn't deal with accelerated amounts of turnover. We will see though.

As far as I understand the rule, it doesn't matter if 50 guys leave the team ... you can only add 25 new guys who are on scholarship for each fall, period.

So as long as we don't go over 85, but we lose say 10-15 guys a year to the transfer portal, we can go to the transfer portal ourselves and fill those in ... up to the 25.

Depends on how many we lose, in some since. Not talking about guys playing their last season. Talking about other guys who enter the transfer portal, looking to start over elsewhere.

I would be surprised if every team doesn't deal with accelerated amounts of turnover. We will see though.

As far as I understand the rule, it doesn't matter if 50 guys leave the team ... you can only add 25 new guys who are on scholarship for each fall, period.

So as long as we don't go over 85, but we lose say 10-15 guys a year to the transfer portal, we can go to the transfer portal ourselves and fill those in ... up to the 25.
If you signed less than 25 the year prior or if you grey shirt guys, then you can sign more than 25, if there is room as far as the 85.

A coach could make a hell of a team relying massively on the transfer portal. Like a new age Bill Snyder. On gopher gridiron, Burns was saying he’d be shocked if they don’t take at least one olineman transfer.

Another interesting note from Gopher Gridiron, gopher commit Aidan Gousby had a Wisconsin offer, AND his brother (who the gophers offered last year) is a linebacker at Wisconsin. Gotta love luring younger bro away from the bad guys when they have those kind of ties.

If you signed less than 25 the year prior or if you grey shirt guys, then you can sign more than 25, if there is room as far as the 85.
Well, a grayshirt (or a maroonshirt, for that matter) isn't really signing the guy in that class, because he either isn't on the team at all in the fall (gray) or he's actually a PWO the first year (maroon).

So that's a bit of semantics.

I don't think that "less than 25 the year prior" is valid. Otherwise, you could have a team sign 15 new counters one year, and you're saying they can sign 35 the next year? I doubt that.

The 25 rule (and it was tweaked I think in 2017 or 2018 to take away some loopholes) was primarily driven by SEC oversignings. In 2009 Ole Miss signed like 37 players? Just silly

Top Bottom