Official 2022 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Gobie has been quiet about it, but I'm assuming some champagne was popped on that offer and that Bixby will be rowing in 2022.
He has been pretty vocal on Twitter about other offers. I don't think he was a Gophers writer, but Midwest analyst, but could be wrong.

'He's a step ahead of everyone else': Caledonia's Eli King the next big thing in southern Minnesota

To many, the 6-feet-3, 175-pound Eli is the latest, greatest athletic star in southeastern Minnesota. Or at least on the brink of becoming that. College scouts suggest that local fans are right in their assessment of Eli.

He’s already been offered football scholarships by Minnesota and Iowa and is being looked at by a bunch of Division I colleges in basketball, including the Gophers and Hawkeyes.

For further proof of his excellence, just examine what he did this school year, turning in electric seasons in football and basketball.

SOMETHING SPECIAL
As a wide receiver, Eli used his size, leaping ability, hands, deceptive speed and dynamic ability to change direction to finish with 958 yards receiving and 21 touchdowns. He was also a standout defensive back and kick returner for the Warriors, who won their fifth consecutive state championship and upped their winning streak to 68 games.

“Eli has an ability to cut like no other,” Caledonia football coach Carl Fruechte said. “He puts that foot down, makes a cut and he’s gone. Nobody caught him all season.”

In the just-completed basketball season, Eli soared for 46 dunks. That included one where he literally leaped over the top of a player and hammered it home. That drew a charging call, but it had the crowd in a tizzy as he showed off his massive vertical leap. When the season was done, he’d averaged 16 points per game, shooting 65 percent from the field, including 35 percent on 3-pointers.

He was also good for 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks per game and was a defensive menace.

“The type of athlete that Eli is, you just don’t see them around here,” longtime St. Charles basketball coach Terry Knothe said. “He’s fast, he’s a quick jumper, he’s long and he’s strong. Then you throw in his instincts, which are remarkable. He just has it. He’s seemingly always a step ahead of everyone else.”

Go Gophers!!

'He's a step ahead of everyone else': Caledonia's Eli King the next big thing in southern Minnesota

To many, the 6-feet-3, 175-pound Eli is the latest, greatest athletic star in southeastern Minnesota. Or at least on the brink of becoming that. College scouts suggest that local fans are right in their assessment of Eli.

He’s already been offered football scholarships by Minnesota and Iowa and is being looked at by a bunch of Division I colleges in basketball, including the Gophers and Hawkeyes.

For further proof of his excellence, just examine what he did this school year, turning in electric seasons in football and basketball.

SOMETHING SPECIAL
As a wide receiver, Eli used his size, leaping ability, hands, deceptive speed and dynamic ability to change direction to finish with 958 yards receiving and 21 touchdowns. He was also a standout defensive back and kick returner for the Warriors, who won their fifth consecutive state championship and upped their winning streak to 68 games.

“Eli has an ability to cut like no other,” Caledonia football coach Carl Fruechte said. “He puts that foot down, makes a cut and he’s gone. Nobody caught him all season.”

In the just-completed basketball season, Eli soared for 46 dunks. That included one where he literally leaped over the top of a player and hammered it home. That drew a charging call, but it had the crowd in a tizzy as he showed off his massive vertical leap. When the season was done, he’d averaged 16 points per game, shooting 65 percent from the field, including 35 percent on 3-pointers.

He was also good for 6 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks per game and was a defensive menace.

“The type of athlete that Eli is, you just don’t see them around here,” longtime St. Charles basketball coach Terry Knothe said. “He’s fast, he’s a quick jumper, he’s long and he’s strong. Then you throw in his instincts, which are remarkable. He just has it. He’s seemingly always a step ahead of everyone else.”

Go Gophers!!

Pretty intriguing prospect. It's hard not to root for a kid like him from SE Minn. Since I have nothing better to do, I just watched his football and bball highlights on Hudl. He's a touch bigger than rail thin weighing 175 at 6'3. I assume he's only 15 or 16 right now as a sophomore and with 20 more pounds, he looks like he'll be a monster...

Anyways, this is a kid worth following even if he doesn't end up a Gopher. He honestly reminds me of Blake Elliott...former D3 football player of the year at St. John's. But lets hope he's even better than that

Pretty intriguing prospect. It's hard not to root for a kid like him from SE Minn. Since I have nothing better to do, I just watched his football and bball highlights on Hudl. He's a touch bigger than rail thin weighing 175 at 6'3. I assume he's only 15 or 16 right now as a sophomore and with 20 more pounds, he looks like he'll be a monster...

Anyways, this is a kid worth following even if he doesn't end up a Gopher. He honestly reminds me of Blake Elliott...former D3 football player of the year at St. John's. But lets hope he's even better than that
hope he is better than Blake Elliot? Blake Elliot in his prime would have been a top 3 WR on the gophers on almost any given year in the last 20 years.....if Eli King is going to even be as good as Blake Elliot we better offer the kid ASAP....

hope he is better than Blake Elliot? Blake Elliot in his prime would have been a top 3 WR on the gophers on almost any given year in the last 20 years.....if Eli King is going to even be as good as Blake Elliot we better offer the kid ASAP....
Already have. See post 63.

I've been told that the Gopher's offered Lucas Heyer, a 2022 OL from Hill Murray. Huge kid. Used to go to school with my son in Wisconsin but transferred to Hill for hockey. He's got offers (from what I hear) from Iowa, Iowa State, and Nebraska.

Big man Jaylen Early proud for Gophers offer.

Eli King from Caledonia, who the Gophers have offered, picked up an offer from Notre Dame.

Eli King from Caledonia, who the Gophers have offered, picked up an offer from Notre Dame.
What position is he projected at in college?

What position is he projected at in college?

I would think WR, but I wouldn't be surprised if takes over the QB job at Caledonia this year now that his brother graduated.

“Beyond the culture, coaching staff, facilities or community aspects that I touched on earlier; it ultimately felt like home. I grew up going to games at Minnesota, spring practices and spring games as a kid. I remember eating dinner with Mike Sherels and the team one time when I was about 7 years old. I grew up getting balls signed by Gopher players, I had a custom Ra'Shede Hageman jersey as well when I was younger. I've always grown up loving the state of Minnesota. We've lived out of the state now for about half my life but once I stepped on campus in June it just felt like being home.”

Bixby had dinner with Mike Sherels at 7 years of age. Had a connection to Ra'Shede Hageman and who knows what else at a young age. Clearly shows the impact of reaching out to the youngsters.

Last edited:

Who knows the connection with Darrius Clemmons. The wide receiver out of Portland? We have a warm on him and have for awhile. Does anyone know about him? Big receiver, looks like the real deal??

Who knows the connection with Darrius Clemmons. The wide receiver out of Portland? We have a warm on him and have for awhile. Does anyone know about him? Big receiver, looks like the real deal??
Demetrious Douglas is from Portland. Maybe that's the Gopher connection.

Sweet - Marshall has been pumping out some talent lately. 6'5 280 is a pretty darn big 16 year old too. I imagine he's ours unless something funny happens.
He would be a great get. Just have to work to continue to keep the border closed.

He would be a great get. Just have to work to continue to keep the border closed.

For sure. I think most kids from Marshall would commit to Minnesota if they got an offer. I do worry about these kids from Caledonia (well really, just the one kid) going elsewhere. Caledonia is just as close to Iowa City and Madison as it is to Minneapolis.

Didn’t we lose a pretty high level player from SW Minn to Iowa either in this class or last?

Didn’t we lose a pretty high level player from SW Minn to Iowa either in this class or last?

Yeah I think his name is Yahya Black...from Marshall. I can't remember the details, but I don't think the Gophers had much of a shot at him.

Yeah I think his name is Yahya Black...from Marshall. I can't remember the details, but I don't think the Gophers had much of a shot at him.
Yep, thanks. https://247sports.com/player/yahya-black-46081312/

No worries, your post is still correct in my opinion ... most kids from SW Minn with a Gopher offer would love to stay in state. About 2.5hrs from Marshall to the U, 4.5hrs to Iowa St, and 6hrs to Iowa.

While it's very unfortunate the Minn. high school players won't get a h.s. football season; the Gophers can't capitalize on the lack of exposure. For example, the Gophers are looking at various Minn. tight end prospects. It should be much easier for the Gophers to identify the best fit than it would be for Iowa or Nebraska.

Looks like the football team offered Tre Holloman (in addition to his basketball offer), the CDH WR/DB. It worked pretty well with the last two sport star out of North Minneapolis, so hopefully we've got a shot at him.

This would be a much bigger get for the hoops team. I think football will be stacked at DB and WR for the foreseeable future. We gotta get one of these high-profile kids eventually. Wasn't Hollomon's mom a hoops standout at the U, or am I making that up?

Looks like the football team offered Tre Holloman (in addition to his basketball offer), the CDH WR/DB. It worked pretty well with the last two sport star out of North Minneapolis, so hopefully we've got a shot at him.

This would be a much bigger get for the hoops team. I think football will be stacked at DB and WR for the foreseeable future. We gotta get one of these high-profile kids eventually. Wasn't Hollomon's mom a hoops standout at the U, or am I making that up?

Yes, his mother is the varsity girls coach at CDH and also played ball at the U.

Top Bottom