Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

i just once would like to see coach diss his class

this sucks, I missed out on everyone i wanted and ended up with these bums. If i get this group to 500 it'll be a miracle

LOL! That is something you'd expect more from Mike Leach the Pirate.

LOL! That is something you'd expect more from Mike Leach the Pirate.

Something tells me that any coach that did talk about his recruiting class that way would probably not have too many days left at his current institution. :)

Something tells me that any coach that did talk about his recruiting class that way would probably not have too many days left at his current institution. :)

Not exactly a thing Mike Leach will do about his recruiting class, but he is not immune to flame throw a Jerry Burns like tirade. CAUTION: Foul language.

My dog was barking at Mike Leach's rant.

i just once would like to see coach diss his class

this sucks, I missed out on everyone i wanted and ended up with these bums. If i get this group to 500 it'll be a miracle
It would certainly make the times they say they have a good class feel more genuine.

I remember Buddy Stephens, HC of East Mississippi JC who was on Netflix’s Last Chance U shouted at his team at half time yelling “We F**** up recruiting! We recruited a ton of guys that we thought could play that can’t!”

I agree. Maryland was #4 in the B1G at an average rating of 87.37—with 23 commits. Gophers averaged 87.18, a negligible difference—but came in 8th because we had only 18 commits who counted in the ranking. This was because PJ and his coaches, after watching our run defense last year, deviated from the normal script and plugged in some highly experienced transfers to help us transition to all the young defensive talent we have on board. And they picked up a high 4* transfer WR along the way, too. None of these transfers count in our class ranking. Maryland “ranked” No. 4 in the B1G, but I think our class, in totality, is every bit as good as Maryland’s—and perhaps better, in terms of addressing immediate team needs.
Our incoming group is better because most of the transfers are going to contribute next fall.

If recruiting rankings were all that mattered, there would be no reason to play the games.

These recruits are - after all - human. Some will do better than expected. some will do poorer than expected. Some will have their careers hampered by injury.

all recruits look or sound good on paper. But, 3 or 4 years from now, some of the 2021 recruits will be labeled as "underachievers." and you can say that for every school in the country.

Again, going by the raw numbers, then Fleck is recruiting at a higher level.

But, if MN is going to move up in the conference, then the real issue is whether MN is recruiting at a higher level than their immediate competition.

It's not about whether MN is recruiting better than Illinois or Purdue. it's about whether MN is recruiting better than IA and WI.

But, if MN is going to move up in the conference, then the real issue is whether MN is recruiting at a higher level than their immediate competition.

It's not about whether MN is recruiting better than Illinois or Purdue. it's about whether MN is recruiting better than IA and WI.

I agree with your general sentiment with one slight modification. For us to move up in the conference (which we have by the way), we need to be recruiting at a level that is on par with Iowa and Wisconsin. It will be difficult for us to ever land classes that look significantly better on paper than those schools.

Our biggest issue has been that we have been playing catchup with those schools, however I would contend that we are now at a point where we are recruiting on par with them. Since 2018 our classes have stacked up well with the rest of the West. Prior to 2018, not so much.

And that fact is being shown on the field given that we have gone from being an also ran to a team that people see as having a legit shot at winning the West.

There is still work to be done, as our record against Iowa and Wisconsin is nowhere close to where we want it to be. But I would argue that since 2018 Fleck has significantly closed the talent gap between us and our main rivals. So moving forward from here it just comes down to who plays better on Saturday.

If recruiting rankings were all that mattered, there would be no reason to play the games.

These recruits are - after all - human. Some will do better than expected. some will do poorer than expected. Some will have their careers hampered by injury.

all recruits look or sound good on paper. But, 3 or 4 years from now, some of the 2021 recruits will be labeled as "underachievers." and you can say that for every school in the country.

Again, going by the raw numbers, then Fleck is recruiting at a higher level.

It's not really even that. We are now recruiting as good as Wisconsin and Iowa. The rankings mean nothing after OSU and Michigan. It is silly to think someone can tell the difference between a guy rated .884 and someone else rated .892.

The only things that matter are:

1. Does he fit our system requirements;
2. Does he have the attitude and character we seek;
3. And how well do the coaches develop and improve them.

We are now getting a talent level that can win the West. Forget the national and BIG rankings. Does anyone think Frost can do a better job with recruited talent than Fleck?

It's not really even that. We are now recruiting as good as Wisconsin and Iowa. The rankings mean nothing after OSU and Michigan. It is silly to think someone can tell the difference between a guy rated .884 and someone else rated .892.

We are now getting a talent level that can win the West. Forget the national and BIG rankings. Does anyone think Frost can do a better job with recruited talent than Fleck?

Yep, but no matter how many times rational points like this are made there will always be those who just can't see past the recruiting site rankings and take them as gospel.

Any recruiting site that gives its evaluation of a recruit or the average a team has earned in its recruiting to three or four significant figures is a fraud and is committing math malpractice.
Using recruiting to determine where most teams will end at season's end unless they are loaded with recruits everyone wanted or have only recruits no one wanted is futile.
There are too many variables to take into account that range from the schedule, injuries, coaching etc etc.
Looking at the recruiting rankings as only estimates and using them to day dream about what next year will bring is fine but do not use them to bet the mortgage money at the football futures betting in Las Vegas.

Any recruiting site that gives its evaluation of a recruit or the average a team has earned in its recruiting to three or four significant figures is a fraud and is committing math malpractice.
Using recruiting to determine where most teams will end at season's end unless they are loaded with recruits everyone wanted or have only recruits no one wanted is futile.
There are too many variables to take into account that range from the schedule, injuries, coaching etc etc.
Looking at the recruiting rankings as only estimates and using them to day dream about what next year will bring is fine but do not use them to bet the mortgage money at the football futures betting in Las Vegas.
Recruiting rankings are only intended for ranking each class in a given year, not necessarily to predict future game results.

So I guess things on this front will be fairly quiet until perhaps after spring ball around the country is done, and that round of transfer market starts up?

So I guess things on this front will be fairly quiet until perhaps after spring ball around the country is done, and that round of transfer market starts up?

Would think the 2021 recruiting thread should be pretty dead.

Not totally sure how it works with the transfer portal. Assume guys still in it can find a new home pretty much anytime as I don't think they are tied to any specific signing periods.

Would think the 2021 recruiting thread should be pretty dead.

Not totally sure how it works with the transfer portal. Assume guys still in it can find a new home pretty much anytime as I don't think they are tied to any specific signing periods.
Say player ______ is at some other P5 school, goes through spring ball, coaches tell him he isn't likely to see the field too much in 2021 and he should transfer if that's what he's looking to do.

I assume with the updated rules/waivers, this player could come to Minnesota and be eligible to play this fall.

Granted, we would need to lose some guys after our spring ball to make room. And I guess it's probably not likely we'd pick up any significant pieces between spring ball and fall camp. But who knows.

It is starting to show on the field. Nebraska has been flipped, Iowa has gotten worse and WI is going in the right direction.

Kill was 2-3 vs Nebraska and -11.8 per game
2-3 vs Iowa and -.4 per game.
0-5 vs WI and -17.4 per game

Claeys was 0-3 vs NE -7, IA-7, WI-14

Fleck is 3-1 vs NE and +10.5 per game
0-4 vs IA and -14 per game
1-3 vs WI and -8.25 per game

Iowa has been better during Fleck's years than during Kill's years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom