Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illinois pushed their high school season out to the spring. So to everyone concerned about Kaliakmanis not playing in 2 years, he will play in the spring I believe. And then he'll have at least one year to learn under Morgan. So no, I'm not real worried about that. He's the real deal.

Or he will early enroll at the U.
I’m not worried about it because he isn’t playing as a freshman barring some insanity.

the star rating is based on the number of schools that are interested in a player

Wrong.

they will get a higher star rating if larger schools are on the list

Wrong.

Wentz, did not even have a star rating out of HS.

Wentz didn't have a star rating out of HS because he had zero FBS offers and thus wasn't worth the time to be evaluated. If you're evaluated, you get a rating. Between FCS, DII, and DIII, there are thousands of players who sign every year, and virtually none of them are evaluated. There are only so many hours in a day, and the analysts are going to focus their time on players who will actually play in FBS, let alone Power 5.

Most top Minnesota kids will get a 2 star rating unless P5 programs are recruiting them.

Wrong. All of Minnesota's top 10 kids have been at least 3-stars on 247 comprehensive each and every year since 2016.

Minnesota's 247 representative is not very involved, unlike many other states.

Link?

I’m not worried about it because he isn’t playing as a freshman barring some insanity.
True. Although from what I've seen he isn't one of the players expected to enroll early. I think he intends to play. Most years I'd like to have him here early but there isn't usually a spring season. With Covid and potential restrictions for practice at the U, it might be for the best for him to get used to competing again.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or still butthurt about your kid/nephew/buddy. QB should not be a major concern
Next season

Morgan R-Sr
Annexation R-Jr
Kramer R-So
Clark R-So
Kaliakmanis Fr

Probably some of the best depth (numbers wise) I've seen in my time as a Gopher fan. (Except the year Mason took like 5 QBs in one class lol)

Even if any combination of 2 QB left for some reason (minus both TM and ZA) I think the Gophers would be okay depth wise next year.

Kramer .... fair or not I'm getting Tommy Kramer flashbacks and I'm not happy about it.

I think he will be a nice player and help calm our defense next year. Going into year 5 of PJ I'm disappointed that they will be starting a FCS grad transfer at LB. It's what needed to be done and I hope it helps the young LBs grow. Jaydon Hood still needs to be a top target as he won't sign until the second signing day for football. Overall great add, not super fast but he can tackle and take the correct angles to the ball.
How do you know he will be starting? Who cares where he comes from if he is good.

Right no worry, your 17 year old #1 recruit for your 2021 class has not played Foosball in 2 years.
And he probably won’t play for at least another two years, so why should we worry? Kyle Trask never started between his freshman year of high school and his red shirt junior year of college and he’s a heisman front runner.

Ryan Burns Tweet early Friday night:

BREAKING: I can confirm the #Gophers have received a commitment from Abilene Christian graduate transfer linebacker Jack Gibbens (@johngibbens18). Gibbens totaled 258 career tackles in his 4-year career at ACU, including 22 for loss. January enrollee.

Listed as 6'3" - 240lbs.

Abilene Christian is an FCS School in the Southland Conference.
This is great news! I’m hoping we get 1-2 more of these one-year rentals on D or maybe an OL for experienced depth. Even if these grad transfers don’t start day 1, they can still be very valuable as situational guys, or quality backups to cover for injury. Nothing wrong with taking 1-3 transfers a year to supplement transfers, injuries, retirements, etc. and balance classes due to attrition.

This is great news! I’m hoping we get 1-2 more of these one-year rentals on D or maybe an OL for experienced depth. Even if these grad transfers don’t start day 1, they can still be very valuable as situational guys, or quality backups to cover for injury. Nothing wrong with taking 1-3 transfers a year to supplement transfers, injuries, retirements, etc. and balance classes due to attrition.
Did you watch our defense this year? We need starting caliber players all over the defense, not back-ups. The expectation for any grad transfer should be that they have a strong chance to be a starter.

Did you watch our defense this year? We need starting caliber players all over the defense, not back-ups. The expectation for any grad transfer should be that they have a strong chance to be a starter.
Yeah, if you are taking a one year guy, he better be a significant contributor or it seems like a waste of a scholarship to me.

True. Although from what I've seen he isn't one of the players expected to enroll early. I think he intends to play. Most years I'd like to have him here early but there isn't usually a spring season. With Covid and potential restrictions for practice at the U, it might be for the best for him to get used to competing again.
With the vaccines probably not really rolling until later in the spring, who knows if there will even be a normal spring ball schedule in 2021 either.

Maybe they'll have a May or even June schedule? So you enroll for summer, which is what they encourage all incoming Freshmen to do anyway, and do it then. Start a month later? I guess we'll see.

Yeah, if you are taking a one year guy, he better be a significant contributor or it seems like a waste of a scholarship to me.

Fleck has been on record that he is not a huge fan of going the JUCO route or bringing in short term Grad Transfers so for them to bring in a one year guy like this LB they must think he can make an immediate impact as a starter.

I think he will be a nice player and help calm our defense next year. Going into year 5 of PJ I'm disappointed that they will be starting a FCS grad transfer at LB. It's what needed to be done and I hope it helps the young LBs grow. Jaydon Hood still needs to be a top target as he won't sign until the second signing day for football. Overall great add, not super fast but he can tackle and take the correct angles to the ball.
LSU is doing that with Cox. It happens to many programs all across the country. You more just hope he can make the jump and look as good as we need him to. Sometimes the lower level guys end up being absolute studs who were those classic late bloomers, academic casualties, etc. and just needed that time to come into their own. I'm happy we landed him and having a guy who could step in.

As an aside about him, seems to be a very high character guy as he is one of 12 finalists for the William V. Campbell Trophy, which is presented annually to an individual identified as the absolute best in the nation for his combined academic success, football performance and exemplary leadership.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wentz didn't have a star rating out of HS because he had zero FBS offers and thus wasn't worth the time to be evaluated. If you're evaluated, you get a rating. Between FCS, DII, and DIII, there are thousands of players who sign every year, and virtually none of them are evaluated. There are only so many hours in a day, and the analysts are going to focus their time on players who will actually play in FBS, let alone Power 5.

Wrong. All of Minnesota's top 10 kids have been at least 3-stars on 247 comprehensive each and every year since 2016.

Link?
whoa whoa whoa. didn't you know you can just say whatever you want with no factual backing and no one should challenge you on this? I legitimately don't understand why people post things like this that you can clearly just look up and show that they have been disproven

As an aside about him, seems to be a very high character guy as he is one of 12 finalists for the William V. Campbell Trophy, which is presented annually to an individual identified as the absolute best in the nation for his combined academic success, football performance and exemplary leadership.
Like I noted earlier, I teach at Abilene Christian and I can vouch that Gibbens is the real deal with A+ character, work ethic, and intangibles. In games this season versus Army and Univ. of Virginia, he played well and clearly can do just fine at the next level. He'll fit in great.

Could probably find it somewhere in here but what are people’s best guesses as to how many more guys we will add in this class?

Ryan Burns Tweet early Friday night:

BREAKING: I can confirm the #Gophers have received a commitment from Abilene Christian graduate transfer linebacker Jack Gibbens (@johngibbens18). Gibbens totaled 258 career tackles in his 4-year career at ACU, including 22 for loss. January enrollee.

Listed as 6'3" - 240lbs.

Abilene Christian is an FCS School in the Southland Conference.
Keep the juco/grad transfer defensive players coming!

Kramer .... fair or not I'm getting Tommy Kramer flashbacks and I'm not happy about it.
I prefer to remember TK when he first started playing and was named "Two-minute Tommy." Unfortunately, he started to like the booze too much and became "Tanqueray Tommy." He became quite painful to watch at that point!

LSU is doing that with Cox. It happens to many programs all across the country. You more just hope he can make the jump and look as good as we need him to. Sometimes the lower level guys end up being absolute studs who were those classic late bloomers, academic casualties, etc. and just needed that time to come into their own. I'm happy we landed him and having a guy who could step in.

I should have said I'm disappointed that they have to take a transfer of any kind. It means there were a few misses, which happen. As long as you don't fill your roster with transfers I'm okay with it. I don't think you can build chemistry and continuity with a roster made up of lots of transfers. The LB's need to be better next year and this should help. Gibbens taking over for #55 will be huge. Gibbens, Oliver, and Gordon should be a nice starting 3. Jaydon Hood could be a game changer if we land him. In my opinion he would be the second best recruit of the Fleck era right behind Bateman.

The potential “waste” is for one year. Very little risk involved. Fleck’s record here with transfers has been very good, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I noticed Rivals dropped Devan Eastern back to a 3-star after elevating him to a 4-star.

The potential “waste” is for one year. Very little risk involved. Fleck’s record here with transfers has been very good, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
I think it’s a waste if the intention is just adding depth. It takes away a year of development from a more long term prospect. If the intention is for the one year guy to be a major contributor I’m ok with it.

Hence why our future looks dark at this point unless someone comes out of no where to save us.
We’ve barely seen anyone from the past two classes. I’m sure some players will emerge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom