Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue is that commentators on OAN openly insult and speak against Black Lives Matter. I can see how black players may have an issue with their coach/supposed father figure (for some) repping that position.
OAN is extremist opinion-for-cash drivel. Glad it blew up in his face.

Can we get back to football now?

Please stop the OAN support or bashing on this thread. No problem if you want to talk about how recent events impact 2021 recruiting and beyond, but your opinion on this "news" network does not matter here.

Yeah, there was a legit 2021 class angle (Green's committed to OK State) which launched this tangent but it is headed way off the rails at this point and needs to find its way to its own thread for those that want to bicker about it.

Back to the 2021 class, been a little bit since we have had any substantial news. Wonder when we will see our next commit for this class?

I got my money on Townley as the next commit. I have no timeline, but I expect/would like to see him make his decision soon. I feel like he could be a monster on the DL for a couple years.
Kyran Montgomery should also be announcing somewhat soon. Not sure if the Gophers have backed off on him or not but we are in the final 5.

We also recently offered this kid from Washington. And then still working on Murphy from Texas. DT is a big focus.

Last edited:

I got my money on Townley as the next commit. I have no timeline, but I expect/would like to see him make his decision soon. I feel like he could be a monster on the DL for a couple years.
Kyran Montgomery should also be announcing somewhat soon. Not sure if the Gophers have backed off on him or not but we are in the final 5.

We also recently offered this kid from Washington. And then still working on Murphy from Texas. DT is a big focus.

I'd like to get Murphy in the fold, but who am I kidding, I'll get excited for anyone that says they're coming

I'd like to get Murphy in the fold, but who am I kidding, I'll get excited for anyone that says they're coming

That's my approach.

I have no clue how to evaluate these guys... YAY FOR ALL THINGS!

Townley is an interesting story. Trieu usually knows when he has a crystal ball prediction. Would love to lock him in to this class ASAP then focus on the DT position with the Regis decommit.

I appreciate all the recruiting thoughts and analysis in here. I've been really busy so not following it closely the past month or so. Great to get caught up.

Fleck and Co. should take a look at Enrique Cruz, OT out of Illinois. Seems like he kind of popped up out of nowhere and was recently upgraded to a 91 graded 4-star. Only a handful of P5 offers so far so it's still early in his recruitment. Keep the Illinois pipeline coming!

Last edited:

Fleck and Co. should take a look at Enrique Cruz, OT out of Illinois. Seems like he kind of popped up out of nowhere and was recently upgraded to a 91 graded 4-star. Only a handful of P5 offers so far so it's still early in his recruitment. Keep the Illinois pipeline coming!

Going to go out on a limb and say they are probably well aware of him already given the strength of our Illinois recruiting.

Yeah, there was a legit 2021 class angle (Green's committed to OK State) which launched this tangent but it is headed way off the rails at this point and needs to find its way to its own thread for those that want to bicker about it.

Back to the 2021 class, been a little bit since we have had any substantial news. Wonder when we will see our next commit for this class?

I think there is a dead period for recruiting until August 1.

Where are we now on the available scholarship count?

Are the Gophers are still planning on their summer barbecue extravaganza?

That has been a fun event for recruits and their families.

We are in mourning for any recruiting news! This ? period has to end.

Going to go out on a limb and say they are probably well aware of him already given the strength of our Illinois recruiting.

Not a lot of film on him and the analysis from the recruiting seems incomplete. He must be showing well at the camps to get such a big bump in ratings.

He is 6-5, maybe could an interior lineman? We seem to be set at OT between this year and last. OG/C does not seem to be a point of emphasis this class, perhaps there is not a lot of talent there this year?

I'm sure the staff will be judicious with the remaining few scholarships.

I'd be surprised if they ever take more than one OG/C in a class, and I would NOT be surprised if there are a few classes like this with no "interior" lineman. The staff seems to be focusing on guys 6-5 and up who could play different line positions depending on need

They want developmental OL that they can mold into versatile players. It makes me wonder if it takes that long to figure out which position each OL are well-suited based on their strength and other attributes. It seems to take two years at least before these linemen develope fully.

Will it be better to get a 6'5" - 6'7" "fat" 340-lb versus a 6'5 - 6'7" "skinny" 270-lb lineman? Is it harder to make them gain weight and strength, or lose weight and gain strength?

The monthly Top247 recruiting rankings for June is out for the top 36 players in the Big Ten. Ohio State is tops with 15, followed by Wisconsin with 6. Minnesota, Iowa, Maryland, and Michigan follow with 6 each, then Penn State with 2. Junior Ortiz did not make the top 36 list.

Avante Dickerson is at #19, Mar'Kiese Irving at #29, and Athan Kaliakmanis at #34..

Every Big Ten commit in the updated Top247 for 2021
By CHANCE LINTON Jun 18, Gopher Illustrated

--------------------------

19) Avante Dickerson | CB | Westside (Neb.)
9279275.jpg
(Photo: 247Sports)
Committed to: Minnesota
Measurables: 5-11 | 165
Top247 rank: 4-star | 93 rating | No. 139 Overall | No. 11 CB
Evaluation: Lanky, slender corner with short area acceleration and top end speed with ability to quickly recover. Does good job keeping plays in front of him. Smooth backpedal and gets in and out of his breaks. Good ball skills with ability to read quarterback eyes, break on ball and jump routes. Doesn't get grabby but plays with technique. Adequate tackler, needs to add weight and continue to get stronger for next level. Projects as multi-year Power 5 starter and second-day NFL draft selection. – 247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman
NFL Draft projection: 4-7 Round (Day 3)
Player comparison: David Long | CB | Los Angeles Rams

-------------------------

29) Mar'Keise Irving | RB | Hillcrest (Ill.)
Mar'Keise Irving
(Photo: Allen Trieu, 247Sports)
Measurables: 5-10 | 175
Top247 rank: 4-star | 92 rating | No. 191 Overall | No. 13 RB
Evaluation: Compact back who does have some natural bulk to him but still needs to add more weight for the next level. A very good athlete who has excellent short-area elusiveness. Does a nice job of breaking tackles and staying on his feet through contact. Runs through arm tackles, has a nice stiff-arm and also runs with determination. Finds his way through traffic. Good burst and despite no record of verified times, can break long runs although he may not have elite top-end speed. Solid as a pass catcher but can still improve in that department. Can play in any scheme and has a skill set that projects well to college. Likely to be a lead back at the Power 5 level and has the tools to end up having his name called in the middle part of the NFL Draft. – 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Allen Trieu
Player comparison: Marlon Mack | RB | Indianapolis Colts

-------------------------

34) Athan Kaliakmanis | QB | Antioch Community (Ill.)
9345095.JPG
(Photo: Ryan Burns - GopherIllustrated)
Measurables: 6-4 | 190
Top247 rank: 4-star | 90 rating | No. 237 Overall | No. 9 DUAL
Evaluation: Has good height. Still has a lot of room to fill in and needs to keep adding strength and bulk. Shows the arm talent to make all the necessary throws. Snappy, quick release with good ball speed and consistent zip on his short to intermediate passes. Athletic enough to escape pressure. Keeps plays alive and can make throws from odd angles without setting his feet. Calm under pressure and does not panic. Will stand in and make throws with pressure in his face. Good with his feet but not likely to be a consistent running threat in college. Still needs to keep working on reading defenses and making quick decisions while refining mechanics. Has physical tools and intangibles to be a Power 5 starter and develop into an NFL player. – 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Allen Trieu
Player comparison: Kellen Mond | QB | Texas A&M Aggies
---------------------------

We've got a special boat waiting for you Townley! Doesn't even have any Fleck tape on it.

It looks like they are still in the hunt for a DT.

It looks like they are still in the hunt for a DT.

Yeah they've really been pumpin out offers at DT. Seems pretty safe to say we'll end up with at least 1, maybe 2. Unsure how highly ranked they'll be though. I'm good with it.

Damn. That dude has HUGE offers for a mid 3-star DT. Probably a sign of how competitive the DT market will be the next few months

His offer list is amazing, pretty clear coaches see something they really like in this kid that might not be fully reflected in his rankings. Stiff competition but would be awesome to see him hop in the boat.

Damn. That dude has HUGE offers for a mid 3-star DT. Probably a sign of how competitive the DT market will be the next few months
There are only 19 DTs rated 4 star or better, so even the the mid 3 stars should have nice offers. That said his list is more impressive than would be expected.

I think they also offered two 2022 defensive ends from the same school as Robbins

I’ve been surprised they haven’t targeted the Northeast a bit more considering many on the staff’s ties out East. Plenty of talent in PA and Jersey.

There are only 19 DTs rated 4 star or better, so even the the mid 3 stars should have nice offers. That said his list is more impressive than would be expected.

We can't rely on the star ratings for DTs in particular alone. Steven Richardson 2014 was rated a low 3-Star (0.8141) may have been overlooked due to his height (listed 6' 0", actually looks shorter in person). He had offers from MN, NIU, and WMU.

CoVid-19 is hurting live player evaluations. This is where the rubber meets the road.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom