Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

The NCAA transfer portal is an interesting study, as many of the players are given both a high school and a transfer rating. Some players have improved greatly from their HS rating and are transferring up. But a lot seem, after a couple of years in college, to have tumbled from their sky high HS ratings to a much lower Transfer rating. The HS ratings element is a very good measure, but it is an art not a science, and a lot of higher HS three stars seem to surpass stagnant HS four stars after a few years of S&C and good positional coaching. Bottom line: I really like the potential of this 2021 Class (and liked 2020, too).

The difference is composite rankings vs 247 rankings only. You can see in the two URLs, as well as just above the ranking table.

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2021-Football/TeamRankings/
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Don't ask me how they calculate "points".

I think most people here generally prefer the composite ranking.

Star ratings matter more for recruiting publicity. The Gophers may elect to use the 247 Ratings showing 7 4-Stars than the 247 Composite Ratings showing 5 4-Stars. It looks better and more upbeat in the PJ Fleck style of delivery accentuating the positive.

In the final analysis, some of the high 3-Star recruits may truly be more closer to a 4-Star. The Gopher coaches are more confident with their own complete evaluation of every recruit they extended offers to. We all know these evaluations don't stop until NSD. Jason Bargy has been mentioned as an example of the Gophers pulling their offer late when character issues became apparent.

Last edited:

Was he a soft commit waiting for his star ratings to jump and for his dream school to offer, or did the Gophers cool on him for some recruiting red flags?

June is almost here. We have 205 days before Early NSD on December 16, 2020. We still have time to find suitable DTs. Maybe, this is an opportunity for late bloomers. Maybe even someone right in our own backyard.

I understand regis is a kid and prospects decommit all the time but why the hell do you commit and then decommit less than a month later. Hopefully he keeps us in the running and comes to his senses.

I understand regis is a kid and prospects decommit all the time but why the hell do you commit and then decommit less than a month later. Hopefully he keeps us in the running and comes to his senses.

He took his Minnesota stuff down almost after committing. Texas has not offered, neither has Baylor, or TCU.

Is this guy as good as we thought?

On a positive note, we have 5 kids in this class rated higher than Bateman was:

Dickerson - .9487 (3rd all time)
Kaliakmanis - .8988 (17th)
Ortiz - .8958 (21st)
Irving -.8941 (22nd)
Jackson - .8927 (24th)

He took his Minnesota stuff down almost after committing. Texas has not offered, neither has Baylor, or TCU.

A new DT prospect, Byron Murphy II, on the cusp of 4 star (0.8830), just showed up as “warm.” Looks like the real deal. Same size as Regis; more polished? Maybe there is some interplay between the Regis de-commit and this?

Last edited:

I'm not sure anything really changed for Regis but it sounds like the situation is one of wanting to be closer to family/home.

A new DT prospect, Byron Murphy II, on the cusp of 4 star (0.8830), just showed up as “warm.” Looks like the real deal. Same size as Regis; more polished? Maybe there is some interplay between the Regis de-commit and this?
Man if we replaced him just like that with this kid that would be amazing.

I am not a recruiting psychologist nor do I play one on TV.

But...have we reached the point in the program where committing to us in itself is eye candy for other pontential programs?

Not saying this kid or any 'crut's strategery is that sophisticated...but this is new territory for Gopher Nation and I wonder how an action like this fits into the overall recruiting scheme?

Was he a soft commit waiting for his star ratings to jump and for his dream school to offer, or did the Gophers cool on him for some recruiting red flags?

June is almost here. We have 205 days before Early NSD on December 16, 2020. We still have time to find suitable DTs. Maybe, this is an opportunity for late bloomers. Maybe even someone right in our own backyard.

All the fun stuff that goes with recruiting that none of us have any real clue about because it all happens behind the scenes and the teams and recruits rarely go public with the reason why things fell apart.

Bummer to lose Regis as he looked solid but it is what it is. Verbals are nice but everything is in flux right up till signing day. And if we are going to play in a higher profile crop of recruits we should be prepared for the volatility that comes along with it. When you are recruiting kids that don't have other comparable options it is pretty easy to feel confident the verbal will stick. Much less so when you are dealing with the high 3* low 4* guys like Regis who have lots of other power 5 offers.

Man if we replaced him just like that with this kid that would be amazing.

Byron Murphy might have just come onto our radar due to the change in status on 247 but very little in recruiting happens just like that. Coaches are always working multiple players even after guys verbal. They have to because guys change their mind all the time, just the nature of the business.

I’m always disappointed when a strong prospect changes his mind but at least the kid decommitted while we still have plenty of time to get a replacement. I’d rather he did that if he isn’t sure than to keep stringing along only to flip at the last moment.

Good luck to Regis wherever he ends up - and another DT somewhere is going to get chance to join the fastest rising (and the best character orientated) program in the country.

Byron Murphy shows up as "warm" for us and four others. Certainly a prospect. But statistically a 20% shot for now. Tough to lose a 100%. But maybe Regis never was a 100%, given the stuff people said about his taking down to Gopher commitment video quickly, etc.

I would think replacing Regis with another DT would be a priority in this class given how the roster looks.

His 247 profile says Baylor and TCU offered months ago.

Hopefully, the Gophers will not become the Kill's era WMU. They offer, and then we poached on them.

This isn't done by any stretch of the imagination. The Gophers have to stave off poachers from the big boys for the next 205 days until NSD. They better have a Plan B/C player on the ready.

Hopefully, they can have that summer BBQ soon enough.

Hopefully, the Gophers will not become the Kill's era WMU. They offer, and then we poached on them.

This isn't done by any stretch of the imagination. The Gophers have to stave off poachers from the big boys for the next 205 days until NSD. They better have a Plan B/C player on the ready.

Hopefully, they can have that summer BBQ soon enough.

Its nice to have players other teams want. Even OSU loses four or five year.

As noted, it is a weird sign of progress if other schools start saying - "hey, this kid committed to MN. He must be good. We should take a second look at him!"

if you're going to swim in the deep waters, you are going to run into the occasional shark. (insert boat jokes here........)

but, better the deep waters as opposed to the kiddie pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom