Official 2021 Gophers Football Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back to 2021 recruiting news after a few pages off.

Tammy Burger, the outspoken (in a good way) mother of Deven Eastern, has been hinting strongly on Twitter that she knows of some recruits ready to commit. She has been very involved since her son committed. Hosting other recruits and their parents for a lake weekend (ala the Coughlins when building the empire class) and her some, along with Ortiz, seem to be recruiting kids hard.

Lets hope she is on to something.

Also, her kid is a monster. Was a weird offer/commit in my opinion but he dominates high school football and is a physical specimen.
Really excited about Eastern. Was surprised about him at first, but the kid looks to have all the tools and is a MN kid that wants to stay home. Can’t wait to see him in a Gopher uniform!

Tammy Burger, the outspoken (in a good way) mother of Deven Eastern, has been hinting strongly on Twitter that she knows of some recruits ready to commit. She has been very involved since her son committed. Hosting other recruits and their parents for a lake weekend (ala the Coughlins when building the empire class) and her some, along with Ortiz, seem to be recruiting kids hard.

Also, her kid is a monster. Was a weird offer/commit in my opinion but he dominates high school football and is a physical specimen.

Any speculation on who she might be referring to as possible commits? Townley would seem like an obvious option given he is local but assume there are others.

I think it is very possible that Deven becomes the superstar of this class. IMHO the top of this class has a chance to be special (assuming there are no major shakeups before signing day), the kind of difference makers we haven't had a lot of over the years and potentially could see the kind of impact on defense from these guys that we saw from the offensive guys in 2018.

The Michigan LB commit they were working on, I forgot his name. Is he still a possibilty?

I think Jaydon Hood (current Michigan commit) is a real possibility flipping from Michigan to MN.

Hmm, there's like only two 3* not already committed somewhere...ranked #4 and #10 on MN state prospect list on 247.

The Michigan LB commit they were working on, I forgot his name. Is he still a possibilty?

From the comments and her reaction, it seems definitely possible it is Jaydon Hood. We could use an LB...

Any speculation on who she might be referring to as possible commits? Townley would seem like an obvious option given he is local but assume there are others.

I think it is very possible that Deven becomes the superstar of this class. IMHO the top of this class has a chance to be special (assuming there are no major shakeups before signing day), the kind of difference makers we haven't had a lot of over the years and potentially could see the kind of impact on defense from these guys that we saw from the offensive guys in 2018.

I think this as well. His physical tools are not typical for our recruits. He is a huge kid and clearly worked hard to get his body where it is. WANTS TO BE HERE which is massive obviously. Stud DLs are few and far between here. I think he has a real chance to be just that.

You have that wrong. Headcount means everyone that gets a scholarship is a full ride.

FCS is equivalency, which is where you can split them up

Again, not correct.

Just because someone automatically counts as a full headcount, for being awarded any dollar amount, doesn't require the school to award a full equivalency worth of dollars to that athlete.

That's the break down/conflation.

Now, if you told me that every single FBS team chooses to only awards full equivalency dollar amounts to scholarship recipients, I would believe you. It would make sense to give each athlete the full amount, if they're going to be counted as a full no matter what. But the rules don't require that.

If you can go into the NCAA DI rule book and post the exact language where schools are only allowed to award full scholarships in headcount sports, then you got me. But the only language you're going to find is something like "any student-athlete receiving any amount of award in a headcount sport shall be counted as one head towards the maximum number of counters".

Do you guys think Eastern moves inside? He is taller (like 6'6) I think, but he's also big. Get him bigger and just plug the middle up?

I think Jaydon Hood (current Michigan commit) is a real possibility flipping from Michigan to MN.
Michigan having worst season ever ... pretty much only their game against us could be seen as a "highlight" ... every other result is a disappointment. Losing to Mich St, needing OT to beat Rutgers, losing every other game, might have to cancel against Ohio St (would've been an embarrassing beat down). Harbaugh being questioned if he should be fired or quit.

If there was ever a year where a Michigan commit should consider decommitting, I think this is the year.

Do you guys think Eastern moves inside? He is taller (like 6'6) I think, but he's also big. Get him bigger and just plug the middle up?
I assume he is destined for 3tech. That's usually the better, faster pass-rusher of the two inside positions. The nose is more of the "big guy" and run stuffer/plugger.

Deven Eastern, not only appears to be a stud, he is a good kid. I am starting to worry, when you are depending on his mother for new recruits. That is funny!

Again, not correct.

Just because someone automatically counts as a full headcount, for being awarded any dollar amount, doesn't require the school to award a full equivalency worth of dollars to that athlete.

That's the break down/conflation.

Now, if you told me that every single FBS team chooses to only awards full equivalency dollar amounts to scholarship recipients, I would believe you. It would make sense to give each athlete the full amount, if they're going to be counted as a full no matter what. But the rules don't require that.

If you can go into the NCAA DI rule book and post the exact language where schools are only allowed to award full scholarships in headcount sports, then you got me. But the only language you're going to find is something like "any student-athlete receiving any amount of award in a headcount sport shall be counted as one head towards the maximum number of counters".

you're AT BEST arguing a technicality that isn't used.

i

you're AT BEST arguing a technicality that isn't used.
You could be very much correct. Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if every single FBS team chooses to award full dollars to each scholarship recipient.

All I'm saying is that the language of the rules only says that any athlete that receives any award, counts as a full towards the maximum count. It doesn't say the school is required to award full dollars.

The most likely chance where this could be used in practice, would be the poorest (literally) SunBelt schools, in my guess. Think like Louisiana-Monroe. They spend less on football than the schools in FCS that spend the most! Think about that. But they're doing 85 instead of 63. So, maybe for them I could see some partial awards (even though they count as full).

One other tidbit that might support me: the rules for FBS require that each school award a minimum of 90% of the maximum, every year. But 85 * 0.9 doesn't divide evenly (it's 76.5). So why would a rule, specific to FBS (which is specifically a headcount sport), specify it in a way that doesn't divide evenly?

Last edited:

Deven Eastern, not only appears to be a stud, he is a good kid. I am starting to worry, when you are depending on his mother for new recruits. That is funny!

I don't think anyone is depending on his mother. I think kids recruit kids. If a couple stud 4 stars start telling you to come there, and you're already considering it, and you like the dudes, then you might just do it. High school kids are easily influenced by their peers.

His mom just tweeting it out cause she is the no filter type.

Deven Eastern, not only appears to be a stud, he is a good kid. I am starting to worry when you are depending on his mother for new recruits. That is funny!
Why don't you tell that to her? See how far that sexist comment goes.... SMH.

Like a lot of parents she is an advocate/recruiter for the Gophers and she is great! Mom, Dad, Uncle, Sister, Brother, it does not matter.

Why don't you tell that to her? See how far that sexist comment goes.... SMH.

Like a lot of parents she is an advocate/recruiter for the Gophers and she is great! Mom, Dad, Uncle, Sister, Brother, it does not matter.

One cool thing is to travel to away games. You end up meeting family. Its amazing when like a 3rd string DBs uncle goes to every game. They care so much. I love it.

What does it cost for a kid to attend some of these schools
I don't think anyone is depending on his mother. I think kids recruit kids. If a couple stud 4 stars start telling you to come there, and you're already considering it, and you like the dudes, then you might just do it. High school kids are easily influenced by their peers.

His mom just tweeting it out cause she is the no filter type.
I have been saying that all along.

I think this as well. His physical tools are not typical for our recruits. He is a huge kid and clearly worked hard to get his body where it is. WANTS TO BE HERE which is massive obviously. Stud DLs are few and far between here. I think he has a real chance to be just that.

I love the look of this class from a defensive standpoint. Dickerson, Eastern, and Ortiz are at a level we don't typically get around here and guys like Schuster and others look promising as well. If Townley and Hood were to come along for the ride the future on defense would look very very bright.

I suspect figuring out what REALLY will motivate a guy to commit and stick with your team .... is 99% of recruiting.

And for every kid it can be different, and the kid might not even know himself.

I love the look of this class from a defensive standpoint. Dickerson, Eastern, and Ortiz are at a level we don't typically get around here and guys like Schuster and others look promising as well. If Townley and Hood were to come along for the ride the future on defense would look very very bright.
Totally agree.

Devon Williams had offers from Michigan, Mich St, Nebraska, West Virginia to name a few
Austin Booker had offers from Iowa, Arizona, Arizona St, Oregon, Nebraska to name a few

Two other good ones to go along with your list.

What does it cost for a kid to attend some of these schools

I have been saying that all along.

As a 4 star LB it costs you nothing because you’re getting a full ride plus food and expenses and everything else.

Between the 2019, 2020 and 2021 classes, there is a TON of upside on our defense.

All the people complaining (on other threads) that the 2019 recruits aren't starring on defense yet are being ridiculous. These guys didn't have a spring ball and had a totally disjointed offseason. Plus, LB and DL are probably two of the toughest positions - due to the necessary size and strength but also understanding assignments and technique - to play as a freshman (true or redshirt).

It's not going out on a limb to say that a good number of the players who people are saying don't have enough talent this season will end up being solid contributors and even stars in 2021 and 2022

Rivals:
Michigan (@TheWolverineMag) LB commit Jaydon Hood @JaydonHood_7 is No. 223 in the new #Rivals250 after previously being unranked nationally.
Would be a huge get if he were to flip.

Between the 2019, 2020 and 2021 classes, there is a TON of upside on our defense.

All the people complaining (on other threads) that the 2019 recruits aren't starring on defense yet are being ridiculous. These guys didn't have a spring ball and had a totally disjointed offseason. Plus, LB and DL are probably two of the toughest positions - due to the necessary size and strength but also understanding assignments and technique - to play as a freshman (true or redshirt).

It's not going out on a limb to say that a good number of the players who people are saying don't have enough talent this season will end up being solid contributors and even stars in 2021 and 2022

Yeah, too many fans expect kids to just show up on campus and dominate like they can in basketball. Doesn't typically work like that in football for most kids. That is not to say there are not impact freshmen in football but more often then not it takes guys a few years to develop before they are ready to shine.

What's up with Eli King from Caledonia? Looks like he moved to QB for his senior year and they only played 3 games. His stats are pretty ho-hum as he's really playing out of position.

He's gonna play college basketball, right?

I'm not saying it is hopeless. But, half the guys on your list are not playing...the best ability is availability.
CAB does make big catches and he's solid but is he somebody you game plan for?
We have been told Mafe has upside...other than in the uniform and a play every other game...have we really seen it? He has been here four years.
The highly regarded young guys...either have not seen the field yet...which is a pretty big red flag.
Or again, yah...they flash every other game for a play.
You can't win the Big Ten with the performances exhibited this season by too many guys.
Think Cashman, did he get you excited and make you wonder why the heck they didn't play him more? Part of it was there were guys ahead of him. Then when every time he blitzed he sacked the QB...did you wonder why they stopped asking him to blitz? ...And then they remembered again. He made plays.
Winfield made plays. Barber, Renner, Steven Richardson, Winston de, Jonathan Celestin, the Huff Bros. Martin etc etc tons of other guys who were overshadowed made plays. We do not have guys on this roster showing us on game day they are either already good or showing us they will be good. That's recruiting. The stars don't matter if you can't coach em up.
Developing guys is one thing...shouldn't somebody just walk on campus and say look at me I'm good!! How can there be virtually nobody who fits that description. Mo has been awesome the last two years...he has been here four years because we had other backs. We don't now. He goes out of the game and we can't get back to the line of scrimmage with the other backs.

CAB - He's a #2. No one ever gameplans for a #2 WR in the Big Ten. So you are essentially punishing his reputation as not someone who gets "gameplanned for" because Bateman (the most talent WR to wear a Gopher WR uniform) happens to be here. This is just a plain silly assessment on your part.
If you watched CAB this year at all, you would think he was the greatest ever if he was only recruited by Kill.

Mafe - Out with COVID last game, so your going with the "play every other game" tactic with him. Classy to do in a COVID year.

Cashman - somehow he was a great Kill recruit but never got a scholarship offer. Now he's in the NFL after playing two years under Fleck. You seem to imply Fleck did nothing to help him and possible halted his progress. That's plain silly.

You need to quit being so transparent in your hatred for Fleck and whatever your motivation is to keep drawing questions to his ability to lead a program. You can go after Fleck for a lot of things, but if you feel the need to question him for his ability to develop players after supplying a record number to the NFL, than that's a big fat error on your part.

If you want to blame him for his inability to recruit, maybe don't do it the year one of his very first recruits is slated to be a first or second round recruit after only 2.5 years in school.

Maybe READ what you have typed before hitting the SUBMIT button to see if what your posting has any semblance of appearing as rational, non-biased commentary before posting.

Yeah, too many fans expect kids to just show up on campus and dominate like they can in basketball. Doesn't typically work like that in football for most kids. That is not to say there are not impact freshmen in football but more often then not it takes guys a few years to develop before they are ready to shine.

Exactly. There definitely ARE impact freshmen, but the problem is that most of them go to Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon. There just aren't that many to make it around to programs at our level.

Exactly. There definitely ARE impact freshmen, but the problem is that most of them go to Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Oregon. There just aren't that many to make it around to programs at our level.

Far easier to be an "impact freshman" when you show up and are surrounded by 10 guys who are at worst high 3 stars who play like juniors and seniors.
Throw a freshman on Clemson's or Bama's defense.... you'll be okay.

Throw a freshman on a defense that's struggling with high turnover, that standout freshman is going to have a harder time standing out as a DT if the DE's are low 3 stars and play like sophomores.

The: Full beard, looks like they're 28 and been playing in the NFL for years guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom