Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

But that fits his argument so well! Please, let him live in that world, he likes it. Plus, it's entertaining. There will be plenty of power 5 schools that will be snatching up Claeys and his recruiting abilities, right dpodoll68?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if his motivational speaking tour allows him time to coach again.

Its not Creamer. Fleck had an in home and Creamer tweeted he would not take any more visits. Confirmed by the Iowa guy and the Minnesota guys.

The Creamer visit to Iowa has been confirmed by more than the Iowa rep above including the local recruiting guys. Creamer obviously didn't follow through with his no visit social media statement. I hope he stays with MN, but there is no certainty at this point.

Soft commit OLB Bryson Jackson is at Baylor U this weekend with an offer. However, BU has six OLBs listed on their scholarship grid and one commit. He will be the eigth OLB. If he decides it is more important to be closer to home, he is a goner. He may have a better chance of seeing playing time quicker with the Gophers with five OLBs (Guthrie enrolled early).

I sure hope CB Trey Creamer is back in the fold again now that he has cancelled his Iowa visit. We may be decimated at CB after the suspension/expulsion appeals this coming week.

Soft commit CB Raheem Layne has a visit with Wake Forest this weekend, and a Virginia Tech offer on Jan. 18.

That is why the coaching staff never stop recruiting while the scholarship grid is at 88. The potential of losing 5-9 guys on suspension plus Bryson and Layne and suddenly you have that many bodies to fill before NSD which doesn't leave PJ FLeck very much time.

So, maybe Boye Mafe is one of the players that are waiting for a roster opening. I am hoping tOSU doesn't offer Thayer Munford yesterday and he decides to play for Ed Warriner. However, he is warming up to UK in Lexington which is 4-1/2 hours from Massilon OH. I think he wants to play closer to home. Potentially, there may be a few pleasant surprises even after NSD.

Boy, this is going to be the most exciting ten days I have ever seen in Gophers Football Recruiting.

As someone previously mentioned, if we lose three CB to expulsions/suspensions we will be down to three freshmen roster players. This will be suddenly huge position of need. Am I hearing this correctly - Demetrius Douglas may mover over to CB and Hunter Register may move over to S?

I think Creamer is a solid verbal. He said he's not visiting anyone anymore after Fleck paid him an in home visit recently. The longer Layne goes without flipping to WF the better I feel, and hopefully he doesn't schedule a VT visit.

Some actually said offering those guys means nothing until they come visit here - but you just go at it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

No offense Spoof, but some also said that nobody would want the coaching job and our recruiting class would have about 5 people this year. :rolleyes:

Some actually said offering those guys means nothing until they come visit here - but you just go at it anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

No offense Spoof, but some also said that nobody would want the coaching job and our recruiting class would have about 5 people this year. :rolleyes:

Ha. Never said no one would want this job, but the second statement sounds like something I would say.

Ok well it does sound like Creamer is in Iowa City on a visit. Maybe he meant he's not visiting anyone after this visit? His clarification tweet wasn't very clear apparently, I think most of us thought he had cancelled the Iowa visit.

Ok well it does sound like Creamer is in Iowa City on a visit. Maybe he meant he's not visiting anyone after this visit? His clarification tweet wasn't very clear apparently, I think most of us thought he had cancelled the Iowa visit.

Reminds me of the Snelson production as far as words saying "I'm firm" when every action speaks the opposite.

Reminds me of the Snelson production as far as words saying "I'm firm" when every action speaks the opposite.

I still think we're the heavy favorite in this situation though. I'd be more worried if a school closer to him had him visiting. I mean what can Iowa really bring to the table that we can't. We've been recruiting him longer, and can offer a good chance at immediate playing time, although Iowa is pretty thin in the secondary from what I saw of their depth chart.

Interesting article just goes to show how much traveling it takes to get the most Elite players--http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/1/20/14328730/2017-best-college-football-recruits-rankings-map

IMHO, there are reasons why both Jerry Kill/Claeys & Fleck focus on sealing the border and then casting a 500-600 mile net for most of their recruiting. They want to secure as many good players that want to be closer to home first. Then go after the recruiting hotbed states (Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc...) for other positions of need. It costs tons of money to recruit away from your home base.

Lots of kids prefer to be close to home. I am not talking about the upper echelon recruits who know they can go to ND, Harvard, Stanford, etc... tOSU, Alabama, Clemson, etc... they pick and choose players they want. Schools like Minnesota have to spend a lot of energy and resources to go after players in the hot recruiting beds.

Once you get a player committed, it is not a shoe-in. The Gophers coaching staff have to be in constant communication with their commits. Getting the players from the south & southeast to visit MN is the hard part. Once they get a visit, they get surprise at how beautiful and progressive the State is, and that it is not a tundra as advertised. Then, they have a chance to seal the deal. Once a player commits to MN, the competition around the neighborhood know the kid is willing to travel away from home. The hard work is done by the MN staff. Now, all the regional poachers like Iowa have to do is entice the players that they have a better deal for them whether it be playing time or other promises. Fleck does the same thing by using his salesmanship to nudge players from other schools loose.

This recruiting war is like the Popeye the Sailor Man and Bluto hamburger stand wars. Mr Whimpy will gladly pay Tuesday for a hamburger today.

But that fits his argument so well! Please, let him live in that world, he likes it. Plus, it's entertaining. There will be plenty of power 5 schools that will be snatching up Claeys and his recruiting abilities, right dpodoll68?

How is that different from this year where half the class was already recruited by Claeys & Company?

Yes, but at the time you did say you would be happier if you were wrong which to your credit is more than 75% of this board would ever admit.

Well, I'm assuming the "5 recruit" statement would have been between coaches when it looked like MC didn't already have something major lined up. As for PJF, he has already created way more excitement and recruiting interest than I would predicted so that is something else I was wrong about. We could be here all day.

Only if his motivational speaking tour allows him time to coach again.

Let it go! Why do you need to continue to beat up on Claeys? He did a lot of really positive things while here. Now we have Fleck to support. No need to beat up on Claeys - he and the staff did bring in a strong class last year.

It is possible to be appreciative of the work of Claeys and the previous staff, and excited about Fleck.

The Creamer visit to Iowa has been confirmed by more than the Iowa rep above including the local recruiting guys. Creamer obviously didn't follow through with his no visit social media statement. I hope he stays with MN, but there is no certainty at this point.
Haven't you heard, we are now living in an alternate facts reality.

He probably just wants a free trip to Iowa City to take in the sites before he signs with us.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it again. Coming into the 2017 recruiting class (prior to the suspensions), our biggest needs were d-line, QB, and WR. When Claeys was let go, we had 1 D-line recruit, 1 WR, and 0 QBs from high school. That's right, in 11 months we had 2 commitments from arguably our 3 biggest areas of needs. In the 3 weeks that Fleck has been on the job, he has added 3 D-line recruits, 3 WRs, and 2 QBs, all ranked at levels at or above what we are used to getting. I call that an improvement in recruiting.

Can't blame kids for taking the alloted five officials. Get free trips, paraphernalias, and free food & lodgings out of the deal. However, some schools may tell the kids if they take another visit after committing it negates their commitment.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jackson to Baylor, Hawes took an OV to Purdue this weekend, Layne and Creamer being sought after by multiple other Power 5 schools. I've been told that Claeys and staff didn't recruit out-of-state prospects wanted by other Power 5 schools. Weird.

I'm okay with this.
I'm with you, I can't really blame a kid for looking around when there's a coaching change. I would have loved to have kept him though, he really flies around the field.

I've said this before and I'll repeat it again. Coming into the 2017 recruiting class (prior to the suspensions), our biggest needs were d-line, QB, and WR. When Claeys was let go, we had 1 D-line recruit, 1 WR, and 0 QBs from high school. That's right, in 11 months we had 2 commitments from arguably our 3 biggest areas of needs. In the 3 weeks that Fleck has been on the job, he has added 3 D-line recruits, 3 WRs, and 2 QBs, all ranked at levels at or above what we are used to getting. I call that an improvement in recruiting.

This I agree with completely. I have no idea why the previous regime couldn't get a sniff from d linemen when it was such a position of need. And while we signed a bunch of receivers, they have all been very underwhelming to non-existent. And don't get me started about QB recruiting (although we may never know how Green would have turned out). There is no guarantee on the Fleck recruits, but at least when you take 3 QB's in one class you only need one to stand out right away.

Serious question: is anyone not happy or satisfied with how Fleck has been recruiting so far?

You can't judge a recruiting class until you see them play. every class of every FB program in the country will have some kids that exceed expectations, and some kids that don't meet expectations. I suspect the same will be true for Fleck. And some players need more time to develop than others. I remember a lot of people on this board claiming that DeVondre Campbell was not living up to his potential. He's starting for an NFL playoff team today.

Fleck has some commitments that look good on paper - but how many times in the past has this board gotten excited about the potential of a recruit - only to see that recruit do nothing (or next to nothing) on the field.

A year from now, we will know a lot more about Fleck as a recruiter and coach (at the major-conference level). Two years from now, we will know even more.

I wonder if they will give Ott or Bolden another look with Jackson now out of the mix?

per CBS:

Head Coach P.J. Fleck continues his recruiting hot streak, landing 3-star Safety Kendarian Handy-Holly while on his official visit this weekend.

KHH chose the Gophers over offers from Iowa State, Kentucky, Louisville, Mississippi State, Florida, Ole Miss and a number of others. He's the 25th addition in the class and the first as a true safety.

As a long 6-foot-2.5, 205-pound prospect with a verified 4.5 40 time, Ken possesses all the traits and skills that he could push for early playing time as a true Freshman, a major need for Minnesota heading into next fall.

Ken is currently rated the No. 37 Safety in the country according to 247Sports Composite, with a 3-star grading of 0.8664.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/breaking-fleck-lands-3-star-safety-ken-handy-holly/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom