Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

You're not lumping us into the "very good team" group are you?

He is flipping guys committed to decent power 5 schools at the last hour to come play at Minnesota of all places.

Like I said, PJ's behind 2016's class, even with 3 more commits.

He has been here for 2 weeks. It took Jerry 5 or 6 years to get that class. If that's the standard, let's talk again in 3 years and see how Fleck compares.

per 247 and pretty much every site that does rankings, the scoring/ranking is also factored in based on stars and overall rating which is huge for the in state recruits we get so the fact that coughlin is rated so highly (7 pts higher than Andries) and then that the next 7 recruits are higher scored than our #2 in state guy this year, yeah real shocking that the class would be skewed.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I love the enthusiasm! I'm glad that they're already learning to hate our rivals.

You're not lumping us into the "very good team" group are you?

He is flipping guys committed to decent power 5 schools at the last hour to come play at Minnesota of all places. First Missouri. Now Texas Tech. He has been here for 2 weeks. He deserves credit for that.

This is some of the embellishment that people find hard to swallow. Do I admire the job PJ is doing in completing a class with little lead time? Absolutely. Do we need to aggrandize this by saying we flipped kids from "decent P5 schools"? Really? If we had a record of 4-8 (2-6) like Missouri or 5-7 (3-6) like TT would you say we were decent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't claim to follow this stuff as closely as others on this board - but it sure seems as if the numbers don't add up. As others have said, Fleck may be planning/assuming that none of the "Gopher 10" are back.

So - honest question - what happens if they wind up with more than the allowed number of commitments? Are you allowed to over-sign, or do they have to drop some commitments and/or dump some current scholarship players? (in basketball parlance, "Creaning")

This is some of the embellishment that people find hard to swallow. Do I admire the job PJ is doing in completing a class with little lead time? Absolutely. Do we need to aggrandize this by saying we flipped kids from "decent P5 schools"? Really? If we had a record of 4-8 (2-6) like Missouri or 5-7 (3-6) like TT would you say we were decent?

They are definitely decent recruiting wise

per 247 and pretty much every site that does rankings, the scoring/ranking is also factored in based on stars and overall rating which is huge for the in state recruits we get so the fact that coughlin is rated so highly (7 pts higher than Andries) and then that the next 7 recruits are higher scored than our #2 in state guy this year, yeah real shocking that the class would be skewed.

Skewed...Huh...that's pretty much how the process works, so...kill the messenger?

Not according to Scout which is way better than Rivals because I said so.

It would be nice if once in awhile you'd provide some info with your comments. For reference: 60's guy: "anybody understands a top 20's class headline." Johnnyboy: "They won't be close to a top 20 class." post #1760
Johnnyboy Today: "Not according to Scout which is way better because I said so" Gopher Football Team Recruit Ranking on Scout on 1/22/17 Number 30. Thirty is pretty close to 29 and as i said then if we sign 31 guys we'll be a top 20's class. I'll hang up and listen...

I don't claim to follow this stuff as closely as others on this board - but it sure seems as if the numbers don't add up. As others have said, Fleck may be planning/assuming that none of the "Gopher 10" are back.

So - honest question - what happens if they wind up with more than the allowed number of commitments? Are you allowed to over-sign, or do they have to drop some commitments and/or dump some current scholarship players? (in basketball parlance, "Creaning")

If you have more commitments then scholarships you can dole out, you have to tell some kids to look elsewhere. It's generally seen as a dick move, but many coaches do it. I'd prefer not to find ourselves telling a kid that was planning to come here that he has to find a new school a week before signing day.

If you have more commitments then scholarships you can dole out, you have to tell some kids to look elsewhere. It's generally seen as a dick move, but many coaches do it. I'd prefer not to find ourselves telling a kid that was planning to come here that he has to find a new school a week before signing day.

Do you think the AD and coach have already decided the fate of the 10? I'm guessing it's done regardless of the appeals unless someone can prove they were nowhere near the apartment.

THat's why I wonder about some of these guys who have offers from Gophs and other very good P5 schools,, haven't done the research but wonder if they have schollies to give or if it kind of a first come first served situation. Offer stays out there even though the school is close to full on schollies.

Guess your attempt at humor? Did you take the time to look at the commit list and who recruited who? Everybody seem impressed we got Handy-Holly and Douglas ...both TC recruits. A lot of HCs use the last 7-10 days to close out their classes. Go look...there are many teams sitting in the low to mid teens right now.

Douglas committed to Oregon while TC was recruiting him what is your point? I would hope any Gopher coach would recruit a legacy recruit and would land him. No one knows where Handy-Holly would of landed if Claeys wasn't fired.

So it doesn't happen in other states as well? Not sure I'm following the logic here...so the Gophs are either just lucky or not worthy to get higher in-state talent to stay?

They missed on 3 out of the top 4 in state talents last year

Thayer Munford.

Any word about his official to tOSU yesterday? The tOSU coaches made two in-house visit with Thayer on January 14 & 16.

New Gophers OL Coach Ed Warinner also had an in-house visit with him on January 14 at which time he extended an offer. Ed Warinner may have been recruiting him while he was at tOSU.

He's warmer to both UK & Pitt which tells me he wants to be closer to his hometown Massillon Ohio. If Ed Marinner can get him that would be a major recruiting coup of the year for the Gophers.

If I were him, I'd seriously consider the Gophers. He'll be with a coach with whom he has a relationship with, plus he'll probably get more playing time and nototriety.

http://247sports.com/player/thayer-munford-72201

Not to mention two of the top 10ish OTs in this coming NFL draft played for WMU.

Or offer them a grey shirt

Nice way to not acknowledge you were incorrect Donald[emoji6][emoji57]

There's best recruiting service is 247 and they had 3 out of the top 4 going other places! Believe me!

So it doesn't happen in other states as well? Not sure I'm following the logic here...so the Gophs are either just lucky or not worthy to get higher in-state talent to stay?
Other states don't only have one in-state P5 school to choose from

We continue to delete posts in this thread that have nothing to do with 2017 recruiting. If people want to compare the 2017 recruiting class of ours to another school - great. If they want to compare our program overall to another program, please start a new thread as those posts will be deleted. In addition to the 71 posts we deleted in the past 48 hours, we deleted another 19 this morning in this thread.

If you want to compare our 2017 recruiting class under Claeys and now under Fleck, great. But if you want to compare their ability to handle a scandal, please start a new thread. As we've said many times, people come to this thread for updates on 2017 recruiting. Other threads certainly get off topic from the original post, but the recruiting threads in particular we try to keep on topic.

Please help us keep this thread on topic.

We continue to delete posts in this thread that have nothing to do with 2017 recruiting. If people want to compare the 2017 recruiting class of ours to another school - great. If they want to compare our program overall to another program, please start a new thread as those posts will be deleted. In addition to the 71 posts we deleted in the past 48 hours, we deleted another 19 this morning in this thread.

If you want to compare our 2017 recruiting class under Claeys and now under Fleck, great. But if you want to compare their ability to handle a scandal, please start a new thread. As we've said many times, people come to this thread for updates on 2017 recruiting. Other threads certainly get off topic from the original post, but the recruiting threads in particular we try to keep on topic.

Please help us keep this thread on topic.

This action is greatly appreciated by many and we appreciate the effort to keep this board enjoyable to read!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tough to keep up with the flurry. Does the 25 include Bryson Jackson who has flipped to Baylor?

Not sure if all the services are up to date but we currently do have 25 with Jackson flipping away and Beck having flipped here.

Top Bottom