Official 2017 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Found this article on him: http://www.recruitingnewsguru.com/c...scary-talented-deolb-michael-clemons-in-2016/
He redshirted last year, so I think that would mean he would have 3 years to play for us. (I could be wrong though, certainly not an expert on that stuff)
He's a pretty intriguing prospect. Not much game film but he looks like a monster in this hudl video. Big, rangy, fast.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3891854/572c03848c15a50e9cb71bdb' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

per Joe: Kurt Warner's son, Kade, is on the Gophers' recruiting radar

Warner said he and Johnson have kept in touch here and there over the years. They actually spoke fairly recently, as Warner had reached out to Johnson, seeking some advice for his son, Kade Warner, who's looking to play college football.

Kade Warner, a 6-2, 190-pound senior wide receiver for Scottsdale (Ariz.) Desert Mountain, is listed as a two-star recruit by both 247Sports.com and Scout.com.

"Minnesota has shown a little bit of interest," Kurt Warner told me. "I got a chance to reach out to Jay and talk to him about the college process, as my son goes through it -- what to look for, what to do.

"It was nice to reconnect. I’m excited for [Johnson] to be in the position that he’s in, to be in the Big Ten, and have a chance back in the Minnesota area, have a chance to be able to lead a BCS team as their offensive coordinator is pretty exciting."

http://www.startribune.com/kurt-warner-s-son-kade-is-on-the-gophers-recruiting-radar/389497631/

Go Gophers!!

As of right now, in checking all three recruiting sites, National recruiting is not going well. We seem to be going after kids with mostly .mid-major offers. In looking at fall visits due in game weekends we're way behind. Teams like Maryland and Rutgers are we ahead of us.The same wth our two biggest rivalries. We supposedly can ink 7-8 more kids. At this point, I'm seeing us finishing only above Purdue in rankings. I think a lot of it has to do with last year's record, a new coach, and a staff that are , except for a couple of coaches, are average at best in closing on kids.

As of right now, in checking all three recruiting sites, National recruiting is not going well. We seem to be going after kids with mostly .mid-major offers. In looking at fall visits due in game weekends we're way behind. Teams like Maryland and Rutgers are we ahead of us.The same wth our two biggest rivalries. We supposedly can ink 7-8 more kids. At this point, I'm seeing us finishing only above Purdue in rankings. I think a lot of it has to do with last year's record, a new coach, and a staff that are , except for a couple of coaches, are average at best in closing on kids.

That's what happens when you bring in new head coaches that were top recruiters at big time programs. We'll see if it translates to wins in a few years.

That's what happens when you bring in new head coaches that were top recruiters at big time programs. We'll see if it translates to wins in a few years.

Wasn't Brewster touted as top recruiter when he took over at MN? I seem to recall his success with the Gophers was below average, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

So?

Wasn't Brewster touted as top recruiter when he took over at MN? I seem to recall his success with the Gophers was below average, but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Sure, but he was in the pros for 5 years before taking the Gophers job. He was also never a coordinator, only a position coach. There is a correlation between recruiting rankings and success, but it's not perfect. This why I said we'll see if it translates to wins down the road.

Sure, but he was in the pros for 5 years before taking the Gophers job. He was also never a coordinator, only a position coach. There is a correlation between recruiting rankings and success, but it's not perfect. This why I said we'll see if it translates to wins down the road.

Wisconsin/Iowa don't recruit at a high level, ranking wise, we'll be closer to their mold. Identify players and coach them up.

It's system we've been using under kill for few years.

Wisconsin/Iowa don't recruit at a high level, ranking wise, we'll be closer to their mold. Identify players and coach them up.

The system has worked in the sense that it took us from a terrible team to a solid, top 40/50 team. I think it's a fair point that if we want to consistently be a top 25 team, national recruiting needs to improve. Kill/Claeys deserve a ton of credit for locking down the borders and making in-state recruiting as good as it can be. However, we need to be able to start consistently getting out-of-state recruits that have multiple P5 offers. Especially on the d-line.

It's hard to predict what we currently have with the in-state recruits since they all wanted to stay home and committed early. If in-state kids want to be Gophers and don't hit the camp circuit, they don't get rated as highly. Take JC Hassenauer a few years ago. Going into the summer, I believe he only had offers from the Gophers and Rutgers. If he would have committed to the Gophers early, he would have been viewed as a marginal recruit, but instead he goes to an Alabama camp and gets offered by Saban. So then the perception becomes that Hassenauer is an excellent recruit. Bottom line, it's hard to know exactly what we're getting with Bursch, Abojei, and London.

The system has worked in the sense that it took us from a terrible team to a solid, top 40/50 team. I think it's a fair point that if we want to consistently be a top 25 team, national recruiting needs to improve. Kill/Claeys deserve a ton of credit for locking down the borders and making in-state recruiting as good as it can be. However, we need to be able to start consistently getting out-of-state recruits that have multiple P5 offers. Especially on the d-line.

Depends on what you think ceiling is for Minnesota. In current climate we're not going to consistently be in top 25 for recruiting. If we can consistently be in 30-40 range nationally and develop and coach and get gems...we can make runs for B1G title.

If we have a winning season, I suspect we'll land some bigger fish this fall.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If we have a winning season, I suspect we'll land some bigger fish this fall.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Agreed, if Claeys can show he can run the ship recruiting will continue to improve. Hopefully we finally see some success on offense this season which will help us get better QB and WR recruits. Have to prove it this season.

It sure would be helpful if there were more instate Power Five football players coming out of high school each year in Minnesota. How are there not 30 legit kids from Minnesota each year that go on to play at the next level? Lock up more than half the state and I think I am starting to like the recipe.

It sure would be helpful if there were more instate Power Five football players coming out of high school each year in Minnesota. How are there not 30 legit kids from Minnesota each year that go on to play at the next level? Lock up more than half the state and I think I am starting to like the recipe.

IMO, MN is producing more Basketball and Hockey talent. They don't tend to play other sports after their 9-10 grade year. Elite hockey players playing football is rare anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This could be something that changes in the next 5-10 years. Minnesota is growing, especially in the Suburbs. When I started High School, we were a tiny program and by my senior year, our football talent had gotten way better, Nick Hart was in my graduating class. My point is, High School football is going to get more competitive and hopefully produce more talent year in and year out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We are not recruiting anywhere near those 2 programs.

This could be something that changes in the next 5-10 years. Minnesota is growing, especially in the Suburbs. When I started High School, we were a tiny program and by my senior year, our football talent had gotten way better, Nick Hart was in my graduating class. My point is, High School football is going to get more competitive and hopefully produce more talent year in and year out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

With global warming and with Florida, coastal Carolinas, and most of the Gulf States coast swallowed up by the ever expanding oceans, yeah MN will be a new hot bed for football recruiting.

The telltale sign is when the killer bees come to reside in MN permanently. Although, I don't welcome alligators or pythons. ;)

Yes, ratings tell the story. Our best recruiting class in recent memory was Brewster's. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, ratings tell the story. Our best recruiting class in recent memory was Brewster's. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look I was trying to convince others that I think we have better talent than Illinois and was told that we don't based on recruiting ranking. But to just say that Wisconsin and Iowa are on the same talent level of Minnesota and do a better job of coaching up is a leap.

Rivals 5 year rankings:

Wisconsin 34
Iowa 51
Minnesota 58

All 3 programs outplay their recruiting rankings. It stands to reason each team will vary in quality from year to year with player changes and coaching changes. They are all within striking distance of each other. None are close to Ohio State.

Top Bottom