Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

No use in signing bigger guys if they're not good players. Big DT's who are good players get gobbled up by the helmet schools. You think the staff wouldn't love to have a roster full of Rashede Hagemans? We were very lucky he was a local kid who's parents wanted him to stay close to home. No, we have to develop players via weight room and design our scheme around what we have to work with.
Helmet schools like Indiana and Illinois have bigger, athletic DT's than we do. We could use some Botticelli's. I realize that Hageman is an outlier, but they should aspire to try to get guys like him.
Richardson is great, but too small if the offense can't stay on the field.

Helmet schools like Indiana and Illinois have bigger, athletic DT's than we do. We could use some Botticelli's. I realize that Hageman is an outlier, but they should aspire to try to get guys like him.

Indiana has three DL at 290 or higher. So do the Gophers. Iowa only has two. Richardson is not too small. He's big and athletic.

My guess is Mose Hall and Gary Moore will be close to 290 next year as well. When we are healthy, we'll be just fine.

Today I learned that Indiana and Illinois are helmet schools in football.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Jeff Jones is the only one on the roster. It could balloon to 4 next year with 3, 4*'s committed.

Hmmm. Seems like that might have been significant to mention. Guess it was all about Iowa...

When is that game, and is it on TV? I know there are a few other Gopher commits playing in it as well.

Hopefully you can stream it online like the OD bowl last year with Demry.

This makes 8 gophers playing in all star games. Snelson in the UA game, Coughlin in the Army game, Foster and Tyler Johnson in the Semper Fidelis game and Conner Olson, the Daniels twins and now Martin in the Blue Grey game.

No use in signing bigger guys if they're not good players. Big DT's who are good players get gobbled up by the helmet schools. You think the staff wouldn't love to have a roster full of Rashede Hagemans? We were very lucky he was a local kid who's parents wanted him to stay close to home. No, we have to develop players via weight room and design our scheme around what we have to work with.

That's true, but I don't really see our interior D-linemen getting that much bigger or stronger. That's fine if you plan on stunting all the time, but we've seen quite a few times when the stunting just runs guys out of position leading to big gains for the opposition.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the Gopher Coaches actually prefer D-linemen who are a little lighter and more mobile. If you want size, you can probably go out and find some 330lb type to clog up the middle, but it's a trade-off between size and quickness/lateral movement.

I did think that Stelter showed some promise when he was forced to play inside vs. Iowa. He's listed at 277 on the roster - I wonder how much more weight he could put on? By the way, on the roster, the biggest D-Line men are Richardson at 291, Scott Ekpe at 290 and Shoobie at 290.

Hmmm. Seems like that might have been significant to mention. Guess it was all about Iowa...

In this case, of course it was all about Iowa. They were comparing the recruiting for the top 5 teams in the CFP standings. Minnesota isn't relevant to the conversation.

It seems like the 2016 class seems like the most connected and persuasive I've seen in years. Committed recruits lobbying their peers to join them at MN is really exciting to see!

It seems like the 2016 class seems like the most connected and persuasive I've seen in years. Committed recruits lobbying their peers to join them at MN is really exciting to see!

Agreed. Really nice to see to camaraderie among all of them.

I'm really liking these Daniels brothers!

Sean Foster tweeted #EMPIRE16 ????? after his decommitment. Lots of offers for this kid.

I'm really liking these Daniels brothers!

I see they're working on KJ Sails Jr, CB out of Florida who just decommitted from Iowa. #Empire16 topic on Twitter

Update: Minnesota Nice beat me too it!

Sean Foster tweeted #EMPIRE16 ????? after his decommitment. Lots of offers for this kid.

Sails is out of Gibsonton which is a suburb of Tampa. I don't how connected the trio is with players on that side of the state. Also the crystal ball is a strong lean to Sconny. A 90 grade and #28 CB on 247. Looks like a nifty return man. The kid has some moves.

http://247sports.com/Player/KJ-Sails-78833
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2228195/highlights/289895382/v2

Weird that Sails just committed to Iowa about two weeks ago. Someone posted about this and how it could be the Gophers going after him. I don't have the specific tweet but Ryan Burns pretty much said it won't happen (meaning he won't commit to the Gophers). It doesn't appear we have even offered him so who knows.

Jackson is listed at 330 on the CC's roster. Was listed at 6'3" and 255 in 2012 when he committed to Illinois.

"The Illinois Fighting Illini signed their fourteenth commit on National Signing Day, Merrick Jackson. Jackson is a three-star recruit by Rivals, Scout, ESPN and 247 Sports. He is also ranked as the No. 18 player in the state of Illinois by ESPN, No. 30 by Scout, No. 21 by 247 Sports and No. 27 by Rivals. He is also ranked as the No. 56 defensive tackle in the nation by 247 Sports."

Top Bottom