Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

What about potential "medical redshirts" among those currently injured? How does that work into the mix?

As far as I can tell Lincoln Plsek and Brian Bobek are the two senior that would be eligible for a medical red shirt from injuries. Plsek would be for this year and Bobek for last year. In Bobek's case they have requested it but they have not ruled on it yet. Coach Kill thinks he will receive one but with the NCAA you never know. If they are both granted ones that would mean that there would be two less scholarship available next year. All other medical red shirts granted to players hurt this year would have no impact on next year but would have an impact on future years.

We have 2 DBs committed (Daniels twins) and probably a 3rd with Tyler Johnson. The plan is to take 4-5, so between Smiley, Durr, and Thomas, we'll fill up at DB pretty quick here.

The biggest gaps right now are at D-line and TE. JoJo hasn't played football for a year and Weber is a JUCO who is still flirting with Oklahoma St. Last year's d-line recruiting was weak with only 2 players - Winston and Mose; both players that will take some time to develop. We really need to add some good prep d-linemen to this class.

We were going to take 2 TEs: a blocking TE to replace Plsek (were targeting Kyle Fourtenbary and Kyle Rau) and a pass-catching TE (had been targeting Albert O.) to replace Maxx. We've missed on all 3. Given that Duke and Plsek may never play again and that Woz and Lingen will be juniors next year this is an area that needs some attention.

As far as I can tell Lincoln Plsek and Brian Bobek are the two senior that would be eligible for a medical red shirt from injuries. Plsek would be for this year and Bobek for last year. In Bobek's case they have requested it but they have not ruled on it yet. Coach Kill thinks he will receive one but with the NCAA you never know. If they are both granted ones that would mean that there would be two less scholarship available next year. All other medical red shirts granted to players hurt this year would have no impact on next year but would have an impact on future years.

They can use a regular redshirt on Plsek given that he hasn't yet used one. They don't need to haggle with the NCAA. He'll be back next year if he's willing and able.

They can use a regular redshirt on Plsek given that he hasn't yet used one. They don't need to haggle with the NCAA. He'll be back next year if he's willing and able.

Good point. He was injured before the TCU game, right? So, eligible for a traditional RS since he hasn't played any snaps.

I noticed that also but wasn't sure if Plsek had taken a snap or not this year so I decided to leave it alone, but you are right. Based on pharmacygopher's post this definitely can be his red shirt year.

Antoine Winfield Jr. is no longer visiting this weekend.
Any idea why or if he has rescheduled? Looks like his team has a bye this week so wonder what has changed that he is no longer visiting this weekend.

I noticed that also but wasn't sure if Plsek had taken a snap or not this year so I decided to leave it alone, but you are right. Based on pharmacygopher's post this definitely can be his red shirt year.

Burns thinks that Plsek might be done for good.

Any idea why or if he has rescheduled? Looks like his team has a bye this week so wonder what has changed that he is no longer visiting this weekend.

His parents were "busy." I think the ship is sailing on Winfield.

With Winfield visiting this weekend and then Durr, Thomas, and Smiley all visiting Halloween weekend I would think the DB situation will sort itself out the next couple weeks. The DE situation isn't as clear as it seemed like Terrell Lucas was the top target and he was scheduled to visit on Halloween but that was cancelled. I see current Troy DE commit Terrance Corbett is now scheduled to visit Halloween weekend.

I agree that the DL needs some attention, Amir Watts a DT from Chicago is listed as a Gopher lean on 24.7. He has nice size and a very solid highlight tape. Let's hope the staffs IL connections stay strong and we land him as well.

Whats the word on this coney durr kid, the cb. We going to get him? How good is he?

per Sid:

• Looks like the Gophers football team is going to have a fourth outstanding Barber, after having brothers Marion Barber III and Dominique play for them, as well as their father, Marion Barber Jr. Thomas Barber, who has committed to Minnesota, is playing for Armstrong and recorded seven tackles, a tackle for a loss and forced a fumble in a recent 42-6 victory over DeLaSalle. … Another future Gopher, Carter Coughlin, whose father, Bob, and grandfather Tom Moe were Gophers athletes, is having an outstanding season at linebacker for Eden Prairie. … Another Gophers recruit, Lansing (Mich.) Catholic dual-threat quarterback Tony Poljan, passed for 243 yards and rushed for 147 in a 48-6 victory over Eaton Rapids on Oct. 9.

http://www.startribune.com/after-super-bowl-iv-loss-vikings-crushed-chiefs-in-rematch/333136361/

Go Gophers!!

WCCO: Barber Makes His Own Name At Robbinsdale Armstrong

Thomas Barber knows the end is near for his high school career at Robbinsdale Armstrong, and it has been a good one on a good team.

“All my friends I’ve made, I mean, I’ve created a bond with all these guys growing up from like second grade, third grade, fourth grade,” Barber said. “It’s finally our senior year and it’s just been fun.”

He is a 235-pound linebacker; the foundation of the defense.

“Exceptional. A great football player, and I think everybody knows that, obviously with the family and the brothers and the dad around,” Coach Jack Negen said. “He’s playmaker for us, you know, and he’s been a hundred-tackle guy right there at it for the past two years.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/10/16/barber-makes-his-own-name-at-robbinsdale-armstrong/

Go Gophers!!

A third 100 tackle year would be phenomenal. Already 235 pounds. Looking forward to him in Maroon and Gold in a big way!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per the STrib:

Game at a glance

Recap: Minneapolis North quarterback Tyler Johnson finished with six touchdowns — three passing, three rushing— in the victory. The future Gopher ran nine times for 109 yards and was 13-of-18 passing for 244 yards. Patrick Dempley caught three of those passes for 119 yards. The Polars (9-0) advanced to the Class 1A, Section 4 finals on Saturday against Mayer Lutheran at St. John’s University in Collegeville.

Key of the game: Johnson was a playmaker for the Polars, both with his legs and arm. He broke off a 70-yard rushing touchdown late in the first quarter. Just over one minute later, Johnson connected for a 74-yard touchdown pass to Dempley. Johnson capped the first half with an 18-yard touchdown run as the clock hit zero.

Quote: “I remember playing my first game with these guys three or four years ago here. It just means a lot for all of us to stick together.” — Johnson on the Polars’ senior class, which played its last home game Tuesday

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/566486?referrer_id=338086

Go Gophers!!

About the last 10 minutes they give some pretty good updates about where and who the coaches have been out visiting this week.

Not sure who this is referring to but it got my attention.

Not sure who this is referring to but it got my attention.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> Might be this one right here. I remember him this summer, but forgot his name.

Top Bottom