Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumo...

From everything I've read here I would be very disappointed if Kill had anything to do with this kid and would lose a lot of respect for Kill. Seems shocking he would have any interest in a guy like this. Would definitely be stooping to a low level. This doesn't fit with Kill at all. Would wreak of desperation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From everything I've read here I would be very disappointed if Kill had anything to do with this kid and would lose a lot of respect for Kill. Seems shocking he would have any interest in a guy like this. Would definitely be stooping to a low level. This doesn't fit with Kill at all. Would wreak of desperation.

This make zero sense

You would not give a guy a 2nd chance? if Kill meets with the kid and feels he is not the guy you must think of him(probably from never meeting him and believing everything you read) and Kill decides this kid can complete his degree and work hard for the betterment of the team then why not give him a 2nd chance? I am not sure 2nd chance is the right word since his GF recanted(lied one way or another)

I would guess that no one knows the whole story and that is why Kill will meet with the kid. By the way I am sure Coach Kill knows the coaches this kid has played for and will get plenty of first hand information as well as his interview with him.

If Coach Kill offers the kid it'll be because he's done his homework and doesn't think there will be a repeat of the incident. I don't think any staff spends more time evaluating a kids background then MN. There is also the possibility that the kid is out of FBS chnces and is hoping for an offer from the host school.

A eye witness alerts police with a 911 call, the girlfriend describes what happens, the police find marks that are consistent with exactly what she describes, she has time to think about it and then recents. Who doesn't make sense? There's no need to recruit kids like this when there are soooo many quality recruits out there. Sad to think that Todd Graham would have higher standards than Jerry Kill. That ASU would have higher standards than Minnesota. I would think Minnesota would be big enough that they wouldn't have to stoop to this level to try and win. I would think Minnesota's and Kill's program would stand for more important things. Let the guy get his 2nd chance somewhere else. As a huge Kill supporter, at this time, I'm extremely disappointed and this hugely tarnishes my fandom. I would lose a lot of respect for Kill and very much change the way I perceive the man. Just shocking. Seems to go against every shred of what Kill has represented since he arrived.

A eye witness alerts police with a 911 call, the girlfriend describes what happens, the police find marks that are consistent with exactly what she describes, she has time to think about it and then recents. Who doesn't make sense? There's no need to recruit kids like this when there are soooo many quality recruits out there. Sad to think that Todd Graham would have higher standards than Jerry Kill. That ASU would have higher standards than Minnesota. I would think Minnesota would be big enough that they wouldn't have to stoop to this level to try and win. I would think Minnesota's and Kill's program would stand for more important things. Let the guy get his 2nd chance somewhere else. As a huge Kill supporter, at this time, I'm extremely disappointed and this hugely tarnishes my fandom. I would lose a lot of respect for Kill and very much change the way I perceive the man. Just shocking. Seems to go against every shred of what Kill has represented since he arrived.

I'm sure Kill is going to lose a lot of sleep at night because you're going to lose some respect for him.

If he comes here and Kill turns him around to be an outstanding young man, would you still be disappointed in Kill?

Some Day...Is Coming. I wish everyone in the world was as perfect as you and never made a mistake. It would be such a happy place.

Some Day...Is Coming. I wish everyone in the world was as perfect as you and never made a mistake. It would be such a happy place.

Yes, I agree, I wish everyone in the world refrained from hitting women in the face and choking them. That IS a very high standard.

I would bet that the coaches being in Kansas and talking with coaches got an idea of just what kind of kid Durant is. Was this a one time explosion, or is it a pattern? How is he responding to losing his scholarship? Does he know he is playing with two strikes against him?

There is more to the decision to offer him a scholarship than he is a 4 star MLB. And then there is the locker room. He will have to answer to some pretty stiff questions and have to prove himself to not only the coaches but his fellow players. Most I would imagine would say do the work, keep your nose clean and you are good to go.

I have two thoughts on this situation, both of them are said in a vacuum.

1. If the incident is exactly as it says above (rarely is, both ways), then I agree with what Spurrier and Strong said this week about taking a no tolerance policy regarding hitting women. Of course people deserve a second chance, but ideally not at my program (again, assuming it is as it says above).

2. There isn't a coach in the country (football or basketball) who I trust to evaluate an "at-risk" situation more than Kill. I've been fooled before (re: I was "all in" on Clem winning the right way) and I'm sure my character judgement will be challenged again, but as I sit here now, I have full, 100% confidence in Coach Kill evaluating a situation like this. And I can't imagine a better character evaluator than him.

In Kill We Trust!!

I would also argue that this is the time where Kill could take a risk. It appears we have a stable locker room and a good group of guys that could help keep this guy on the right path. In Kills first couple season as he was trying to change the culture of the program, I don't think he'd take the chance. Now that the culture is established and people know to walk the line, he might be more comfortable. If Kill were to offer, I have confidence that he's done is due diligence. Could it be a mistake? Yep. Could he turn it around and be a great football player and, more importantly, person? Yep.

I believe he's here for a visit (I don't think its gone beyond that?) so maybe the staff doesn't feel he's a fit even after the visit.

According to 247 and Rivals, we haven't even offered him a scholarship. I would probably relax a little bit.

Yes, I agree, I wish everyone in the world refrained from hitting women in the face and choking them. That IS a very high standard.

Make sure he can't ever go to school or get a job anywhere seems to be the politically correct standard today. Ruin his life for a mistake and I'm sure he would then become a model citizen. You make kids earn that second chance because casting them off because of the media and public pressure isn't right. Certainly in some situations the degree of the crime and history of the individual should be factored in. I doubt we sign him. But, I don't think the coaches would bring him in if they thought he put the program at risk ..I'll trust the staff on judging and molding character.

There are plenty of places to get 2nd chances, even at FCS schools. Even after sitting out a year and making amends. Just wait and see what happens when the masses of Minnesotans read about this. Good for the program or bad? Help this momentum that is building or hurt? It's don't understand the need to be taking on domestic violence dismissals from other schools. Thought MN stood for something more than recruiting situations like this. Unnecessary.

Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumo...

NM

Of course, there's no excuse for domestic assault. That said, does anyone here really know what happened? Does anyone know the woman's background? Does anyone know who the witnesses were and what their motivations might be? These cases are very difficult.
Moreover, according to Canadien studies of domestic abuse cases, by percentage, women are more likely to be the perpetrators of domestic abuse than men. That's right. It is in the category of serious injuries incurred that women are more likely to be listed, for obvious reasons. As well, its assumed that many domestic abuse cases against men go unreported, again for obvious reasons.
So I think its prudent to suspend judgement of this player until all the facts and background information is gathered. Which I'm sure the Gophers' staff are doing.

Coach Kill is not just all about football. He turns kids lives around using a disciplined character building approach. He has saved kids lives.

We all know his modus operandi by now, and I trust him to make the thorough character evaluation in the case of this talented young man.

Violence against women is absolutely deplorable.

Bringing this kid is a very risky proposition. A chance at redemption is one thing, but being unreformable is another. The scale will have to weigh talent versus reformable character.

Kids that come to play college football come from diverse backgrounds. Some of these kids grow up without good role models in a subculture where people are desensitize to violence. Some of these kids will thrive under a program like Gopher Football.

Cedric Thompson came out alright. There is hope.

Bringing this kid is a very risky proposition. A chance at redemption is one thing, but being unreformable is another. The scale will have to weigh talent versus reformable character.

I think if Kill were to bring the kid in now it would work out better than had it been 4 years ago. I think the culture in the program would not/ will not feed Durant's negative habits.

I don't think we can get him in for fall. It's far far too late in the admissions process for transfer students. The athletics department would have to make a big stink about it to even have a chance at getting him in way past the deadlines. I don't see the admissions office making special things happen for a guy with domestic violence issues. He can get in for spring semester but probably not fall.

I think if Kill were to bring the kid in now it would work out better than had it been 4 years ago. I think the culture in the program would not/ will not feed Durant's negative habits.

Nor will they tolerate it meaning it's a great opportunity for someone to turn his life around. He'll also have a room mate who will encourage him and hang out with good people.

I don't think we can get him in for fall. It's far far too late in the admissions process for transfer students. The athletics department would have to make a big stink about it to even have a chance at getting him in way past the deadlines. I don't see the admissions office making special things happen for a guy with domestic violence issues. He can get in for spring semester but probably not fall.
The College of Continuing Education, has a final application date of Aug 1st, so there is a way. It's not available to freshmen but it's available to transfers and requires a customized degree plan.

Did anyone else see that Jo Garcia is transferring from East Ridge and won't be playing football this year?

per Sid:

• The Gophers lost their first in-state 2016 football recruit in Breck wide receiver Ramaud Chiakhiao-Bowman, a student with a 4.0 grade-point average who decided to go to Northwestern. The latest GPA numbers available for the Wildcats football team come from the 2013 season, when their players had a GPA just over 3.0, while the Gophers’ GPA for 2014 was exactly the same.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-rudolph-aims-to-put-his-injuries-behind-him/318549161/

Go Gophers!!

“It’s fine,” Garcia said. “I’ve still got my scholarship [to Minnesota], so everything is fine. I’ll concentrate on my body and my mind. I was stressed out when all this happened, crying and stuff, but there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Under NCAA rules, university officials are not allowed to comment on recruits until they sign a letter of intent. National signing day is Feb. 3.

Garcia, who attended Cretin-Derham Hall as a freshman, said he didn’t have many friends at East Ridge.

“I think it was a blessing in a way,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot. One thing this has shown me is that life moves really fast.”

Garcia, a 6-3, 268-pound defensive tackle, also had an offers from Michigan State and Western Michigan before committing to the Gophers last November. He was among eight Gophers commits from the Class of 2016 who gathered at Eden Prairie linebacker Carter Coughlin’s cabin on Pequot Lakes earlier this summer. Garcia also attended Minnesota’s annual recruiting barbecue last weekend. He said he feels like he has developed a close bond with his future Gophers teammates.

“I already feel like I’m working out for college,” he said.

Go GOphers!!

Minus - Garcia will be rusty coming into the Gopher program next year.

Plus - no risk of injury if you're not playing.

It's a goofy situation, but I'm afraid we could be seeing more of this in MN as (some) schools are starting to crack down on abuses of open-enrollment and the transfer rule.

As the above article notes, Garcia will be on his 3rd HS in four years...........

Top Bottom