Official 2016 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

If, and this is a big IF, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Nebraska all start to tail off; what a great time for the Gophers to grab the West and be the new dominate team! Ah, to dream is fun. :cool:

MN Daily: Gophers keeping 2016 recruits in-state

Carter Coughlin is a four-star linebacker out of Eden Prairie, Minn., who received offers from Ohio State, Oregon, Wisconsin and Michigan State.

In years past, top in-state recruits like Coughlin would be lured away by those power-house schools, two of which just competed for the first-ever College Football Playoff championship.

But this year is different. Gophers head coach Jerry Kill has locked down almost all of the top recruits in Minnesota for the 2016 recruiting class, including Coughlin, who committed to his hometown team back in March.

“I grew up attending Gophers games with my family, and after seeing how coach Kill has really turned around the program, it seemed like a no-brainer,” Coughlin said.

Heading into the summer, the Gophers have received commitments from seven of the top 11 high school players in the state of Minnesota, according to the recruiting website 247 Sports.

The only big recruit from Minnesota who has slipped away from the Gophers thus far is former East Ridge quarterback Seth Green, who committed to Oregon in October and transferred to Allen High School in Texas for his senior season.

“I think we’re doing very well right now in [the in-state recruiting] process,” Kill said, though he can’t comment on specific recruits until after national signing day. “There’s a lot of good players, and we need to do our best to keep them in-state.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2015/06/10/gophers-keeping-2016-recruits-state

Go Gophers!!

Ryan Burns says that the staff is recruiting as if the twin DB's are not committed and if they take visits to other schools the staff will move on. Also indicates there might be academic issues with Garcia. The staff is also looking for 1 more LB and are targeting 3 right now, Noah Burks, Jeremiah Moon, Andre Polk. Burns has a very nice write up right now on scout on a lot of recruits, I wont share all of it, but they have a deal right now for 10 bucks for 6 months, if you like recruiting, I'd check it out.

Ryan Burns says that the staff is recruiting as if the twin DB's are not committed and if they take visits to other schools the staff will move on. Also indicates there might be academic issues with Garcia. The staff is also looking for 1 more LB and are targeting 3 right now, Noah Burks, Jeremiah Moon, Andre Polk. Burns has a very nice write up right now on scout on a lot of recruits, I wont share all of it, but they have a deal right now for 10 bucks for 6 months, if you like recruiting, I'd check it out.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Aimee would have been a nice addition after losing out on Panasiuk to MSU with Garcia seemingly on precarious academic grounds.

DT seems to be harder for the Gophers to recruit as good ones are in such high demands they get passed over for sexier programs.

Another strikeout for Wisconsin by missing out on Panasiuk, but good news for them is they did pick up a commitment today from Tyler Biadasz who had some big time FCS offers, took a possible PWO candidate away from us too. But on a serious note, Michigan State is killing it, that Dline is going to be sick, they got 2 stud DE's committed and now a stud DT.

Dang, MSU has the #2 class in the country on Scout. OSU #1.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Ryan Burns says that the staff is recruiting as if the twin DB's are not committed and if they take visits to other schools the staff will move on. <b>Also indicates there might be academic issues with Garcia</b>.

Well, that would suck!

While it is a ways yet from NSD in Feb. 2016 and things can happen between now and then (hoping all our commits remain solid), DT is the most difficult position for the Gophers to recruit in this cycle.

Knowing that Garcia has to resolve some issues for qualifying and losing Panasiuk and Wavenski, they are not in a panic mode. They must have an alternate plan.

My too early speculation of their Plan B if they can't get a high caliber DT commitment they want: Find sleepers (like Cedric Thompson); PWO to develop into a solid DT; Pluck someone from JC; An incoming/existing player bulking up & switching to DT.

The Gophers want a scholie or two available for post signing day. Jerry Kill mentioned that there is a threshold for early signings. Wasn't there a four star player that was available that approached the GOphers late last season before NSD, but they already secured a commitment from someone?

David Cobb, Cedric Thompson, De'Vondre Campbell, Desmond Gant, Rashand Croney, and Craig James - they were all last minute additions.

These coaching staff seem to create their own luck through hard work and long hours recruiting and evaluating. They recruit to fit their system. While they want high three stars and four stars like everybody else, they won't take some of them unless they are thoroughly evaluated to fit the Gopher mold. Four stars aren't guaranteed to blossom to expectations.

Once they complete the facilities and continue their upward trajectory in B1G West, they can command serious attention to higher level recruits like what MSU is doing right now with their winning ways.

Gotta love how Coach Kill laid out his goal planning in the beginning when he said it will take at least five years to return to respectability.

While it is a ways yet from NSD in Feb. 2016 and things can happen between now and then (hoping all our commits remain solid), DT is the most difficult position for the Gophers to recruit in this cycle.

Knowing that Garcia has to resolve some issues for qualifying and losing Panasiuk and Wavenski, they are not in a panic mode. They must have an alternate plan.

My too early speculation of their Plan B if they can't get a high caliber DT commitment they want: Find sleepers (like Cedric Thompson); PWO to develop into a solid DT; Pluck someone from JC; An incoming/existing player bulking up & switching to DT.

The Gophers want a scholie or two available for post signing day. Jerry Kill mentioned that there is a threshold for early signings. Wasn't there a four star player that was available that approached the GOphers late last season before NSD, but they already secured a commitment from someone?

David Cobb, Cedric Thompson, De'Vondre Campbell, Desmond Gant, Rashand Croney, and Craig James - they were all last minute additions.

These coaching staff seem to create their own luck through hard work and long hours recruiting and evaluating. They recruit to fit their system. While they want high three stars and four stars like everybody else, they won't take some of them unless they are thoroughly evaluated to fit the Gopher mold. Four stars aren't guaranteed to blossom to expectations.

Once they complete the facilities and continue their upward trajectory in B1G West, they can command serious attention to higher level recruits like what MSU is doing right now with their winning ways.

Gotta love how Coach Kill laid out his goal planning in the beginning when he said it will take at least five years to return to respectability.

For the first point, we'll be fine at DT. Ja'Quize Cross has named us his leader and will be here for an unofficial sometime this summer. I'm sure Garcia gets here eventually. We'll probably add 1 more DT for this class as well. We may pass at RB for this class unless we get an absolute stud since we have so many young RBs on the roster.

As for the 2nd point, were you drunk when you wrote this? I wouldn't use Ra'Shaun Croney as an example of a good late addition to the team...

For the first point, we'll be fine at DT. Ja'Quize Cross has named us his leader and will be here for an unofficial sometime this summer. I'm sure Garcia gets here eventually. We'll probably add 1 more DT for this class as well. We may pass at RB for this class unless we get an absolute stud since we have so many young RBs on the roster.

As for the 2nd point, were you drunk when you wrote this? I wouldn't use Ra'Shaun Croney as an example of a good late addition to the team...

Plus Craig James was rumored as a silent verbal for several weeks leading up to signing day..

So, I may have missed this, but I don't recall anyone commenting on the recent Gopher FB camp. The recruiting sites note several who attended. Has anyone heard anything? Who looked good? Surprise attendees? New offers that went out because of performance?

So, I may have missed this, but I don't recall anyone commenting on the recent Gopher FB camp. The recruiting sites note several who attended. Has anyone heard anything? Who looked good? Surprise attendees? New offers that went out because of performance?

No new offers. It appears that all of the really good talent from MN for 2016 has committed or been offered. The staff identified a lot of the players early at the junior elite camp last summer, and it paid dividends with all of the current in-state commits.

Below is from Lakeville Goldy's Sports Huddle write-up.

Sid: You had a clinic last Sunday - 130 kids - any sleepers? JK: Yes, a few guys that were offered last year, and now a few guys on the list to evaluate for offers. Another camp today, 100 more kids. Gives kids opportunities.

Dave: Tell us about the clinics. JK: Another camp today (so Sun, June 14), youth camp coming Tues and Weds, Junior camp Thurs and Fri. Then done with camps for a while, couple in (inaudible). Gone well. Compliments to kids in the camp. Kids busting tailends regardless of size or ability.

They will not offer until all the camps a done and they meet to get a consensus. I would think camp offers will go out by next Tuesday or Wednesday .

Based on the 247 CB, these are players with a Gopher offer who are leaning heavily towards the U (>75%):

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/InstitutionPredictions

Tralund Webber, JUCO DE
Vincent Calhoun, JUCO OG
Tyler Johnson, Athlete (safety or WR)
Albert O. (WR/TE)
JD Spielman (WR)
Coney Durr (CB)
Bailey Edwards (WR)
Corey Rau (TE)

It sounds like Rau wants to stay in Texas, so we can probably cross him off the list. That leaves 7 remaining for right now, and Ja'Quize Cross makes 8. A lot can happen between now and signing day, but I wouldn't be surprised if we land at least 6 of those 8.

Tyler Johnson also appears to want to take his time and the staff is said to not be willing to wait around for him

What is the word on Jamahl Johnson from Prior Lake HS? The Gophers have not offered. Is his height (6' 1/2") an issue?

What is the word on Jamahl Johnson from Prior Lake HS? The Gophers have not offered. Is his height (6' 1/2") an issue?

He is coming off a very impressive camp where it was said he was the best DL there and he just man handled everyone, however he wasn't going up against elite competition.He is likely a long shot to get an offer, he still doesn't have a offers yet from UNI or the Dakota schools. His height is an issue, but he also lacks the explosiveness or the strength to warrant an offer from the Gophers.

Forest Lake OL Patrick Kasl has commited to the Badgers. He never received an offer from the Gophers and Wisconsin was his only power 5 offer to date.

Top Bottom