Official 2015 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Whoever mentioned that Jan 30th visits not meaning much was dead on imo. They're fall back visits that often times never materialize.

Willie Sykes got offered by Nebraska and has scheduled an OV and sounds likely to commit soon. Feels pretty good when the huskers go after our sloppy seconds knowing we wouldn't take his commitment. ;)

Also, I was reading the John Kelly thread in a Tennessee forum and apparently he told Steve Wiltfong in 247 article that Minnesota and Tennesee are his top two schools. He has been getting a lot of CB predictions to UT. Also Allen Trieu tweeted this a few days ago.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thats interesting because Burns believes Michigan is the frontrunner and Tennessee doesn't have much of a chance.

Willie Sykes got offered by Nebraska and has scheduled an OV and sounds likely to commit soon. Feels pretty good when the huskers go after our sloppy seconds knowing we wouldn't take his commitment. ;)

Also, I was reading the John Kelly thread in a Tennessee apparently he told Steve Wiltfong in 247 article that Minnesota and Tennesee are his top two schools. He has been getting a lot of CB predictions to UT. Also Allen Trieu tweeted this a few days ago.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thats interesting because Burns believes Michigan is the frontrunner and Tennessee doesn't have much of a chance.

Hard not to think of Michigan as the frontrunner when he says he grew up a Michigan fan, pretty sure he called it his "dream school" a while back and talked about running through the hallways at school screaming when he received the Michigan offer. That said, he hasn't committed yet and that's strange. They're really pushing to get Dior Johnson in on the same week as Kelly, presumably to pitch Kelly on the package deal. Here's hoping that works out.

Hard not to think of Michigan as the frontrunner when he says he grew up a Michigan fan, pretty sure he called it his "dream school" a while back and talked about running through the hallways at school screaming when he received the Michigan offer. That said, he hasn't committed yet and that's strange. They're really pushing to get Dior Johnson in on the same week as Kelly, presumably to pitch Kelly on the package deal. Here's hoping that works out.

Kelly has said he's waiting until signing day so that could be the reason he's waiting to commit to Michigan. I think he's one of those kids who likes the recruiting process and is throwing Tennessee and Minnesota a bone while getting some free visits. Hopefully I'm wrong. The rumor that Tennessee and Minnesota might be the frontrunners is interesting though.

Kelly has said he's waiting until signing day so that could be the reason he's waiting to commit to Michigan. I think he's one of those kids who likes the recruiting process and is throwing Tennessee and Minnesota a bone while getting some free visits. Hopefully I'm wrong. The rumor that Tennessee and Minnesota might be the frontrunners is interesting though.

I am pretty sure Kelly ends up at Michigan but wants to come to the TC to see the Jug one last time in his college tenure up close and personal. once he commits to Michigan he will only see it from across the field unless Wisconsin gets the whole NCAA to ban piutting trophies on the sidelines during the game!

PiPress: QB Croft, RB Femi-Cole say commitments are firm

But Croft and Femi-Cole, arguably the two most talented offensive players in the Gophers' 2015 recruiting class, say they remain excited about joining coach Jerry Kill's program.

Croft, who made his official visit before the Gophers lost 31-24 to eventual national champion Ohio State at TCF Bank Stadium, had received interest from Penn State and other schools after he committed to Minnesota.

But Croft tweeted last week he couldn't wait for signing day.

"It's sort of weird," he said. "But I basically just told (the other schools) I'm not really interested because I have my heart in one place -- and that's Minnesota."

The 5-11, 220-pound Femi-Cole, who was compared physically to Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, said Iowa State has been looking at him recently.

"A few schools have been interested," he said. "Iowa State is thinking of offering, but I'm still solid on Minnesota."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27329315/gophers-football-qb-croft-rb-femi-cole-say

Go Gophers!!

Good to know both are solid on the Gophers. Coach Kill and QB Coach Z are visiting with Croft tonight. Really looking forward to seeing Croft and Femi-Cole in the same Gopher backfield some day!

Good to know both are solid on the Gophers. Coach Kill and QB Coach Z are visiting with Croft tonight. Really looking forward to seeing Croft and Femi-Cole in the same Gopher backfield some day!

Keeping the poachers away for the next twenty days can be a challenge. Nothing's in the bag until they inked that piece of paper.

If Harbaugh goes full throttle after Michigan boys John Kelly & Dior Johnson, they may be lost causes. Let's hope not. We can sure use those two.

Keeping the poachers away for the next twenty days can be a challenge. Nothing's in the bag until they inked that piece of paper.

If Harbaugh goes full throttle after Michigan boys John Kelly & Dior Johnson, they may be lost causes. Let's hope not. We can sure use those two.
I have a hunch that Harbaugh just might overplay his hand and we get Johnson and Kelly anyway.

It sort of is though. In order to get there, recruiters have to drive hours from a major airport.
Lafayette has direct flights to Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, and Houston. Not to mention most college campuses are nowhere near major airports either, so getting connecting flights (assuming a school doesn't charter their own flights) is hardly out of the norm, nor is driving two hours.

Lafayette is recruited heavily by most of the SEC schools, and has also sent kids to West Virginia, Miami, Memphis, Baylor, Florida State, Duke, TCU, and Northwestern in the last decade or so. I have no doubt that Register would have received more attention had he lived in New Orleans (though that highly depends on where as well), but Lafayette is not some rural backwater, and even those places get plenty of attention recruiting-wise in the South.

PiPress: QB Croft, RB Femi-Cole say commitments are firm

But Croft and Femi-Cole, arguably the two most talented offensive players in the Gophers' 2015 recruiting class, say they remain excited about joining coach Jerry Kill's program.

Croft, who made his official visit before the Gophers lost 31-24 to eventual national champion Ohio State at TCF Bank Stadium, had received interest from Penn State and other schools after he committed to Minnesota.

But Croft tweeted last week he couldn't wait for signing day.

"It's sort of weird," he said. "But I basically just told (the other schools) I'm not really interested because I have my heart in one place -- and that's Minnesota."

The 5-11, 220-pound Femi-Cole, who was compared physically to Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, said Iowa State has been looking at him recently.

"A few schools have been interested," he said. "Iowa State is thinking of offering, but I'm still solid on Minnesota."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27329315/gophers-football-qb-croft-rb-femi-cole-say

Go Gophers!!

Glad to know one of the worst d-1 teams is thinking of offering Femi-Cole. Lets pump the breaks on mentioning him in the same breath with Adrian Peterson, no matter the context.

Glad to know one of the worst d-1 teams is thinking of offering Femi-Cole. Lets pump the breaks on mentioning him in the same breath with Adrian Peterson, no matter the context.

It's talking about his physical build not his ability. I don't see why this is a stretch.

If we aren't allowed to get excited about guys that received offers from bad teams there won't be anyone left to be excited about.

Whoever mentioned that Jan 30th visits not meaning much was dead on imo. They're fall back visits that often times never materialize.

Not sure how many we miss on, but Krizanic and McGhee were guys who visited on the 30th or after, but before signing day. One in each of the last two classes.

Anyone know if Kill has any interest in Rashaun Croney anymore? He signed with the gophers late last season, but he never qualified and ended up at Ellsworth cc.

Anyone know if Kill has any interest in Rashaun Croney anymore? He signed with the gophers late last season, but he never qualified and ended up at Ellsworth cc.

He'll have to play one more year at Ellsworth before he can qualify if I'm not mistaken.

Look for Gophers to pick up another QB to replace McKinzy. Probably a PWO though. I can't say how I know this, but they are looking at a Quarterback out of Pennsylvania. This kid is not being heavily recruited by anybody else.

I can say that I want that too. JK and Dior committing would be great.

is Dior planning a visit here? don't see anything on any recruiting sites but the offer was just put out recently-let's get him on site and flip!

Not sure how many we miss on, but Krizanic and McGhee were guys who visited on the 30th or after, but before signing day. One in each of the last two classes.
McGhee was a late offer because our other DB prospects went elsewhere. I believe they are talking about highly recruited guys, not late finds.

Lafayette has direct flights to Atlanta, Dallas, Denver, and Houston. Not to mention most college campuses are nowhere near major airports either, so getting connecting flights (assuming a school doesn't charter their own flights) is hardly out of the norm, nor is driving two hours.

Lafayette is recruited heavily by most of the SEC schools, and has also sent kids to West Virginia, Miami, Memphis, Baylor, Florida State, Duke, TCU, and Northwestern in the last decade or so. I have no doubt that Register would have received more attention had he lived in New Orleans (though that highly depends on where as well), but Lafayette is not some rural backwater, and even those places get plenty of attention recruiting-wise in the South.

Our coaches have to drive from either Houston or New Orleans, no direct flights to Lafayette for them. I'm guessing it's similar for most other teams? No one said that recruiters don't stop there at all. Someone asked why Register isn't getting more looks? It's off the beaten track for recruiters since they like to pick the low lying fruit and get the most recruiting bang for their buck. If there's a blue chipper that's not an LSU lock, they'll make the drive. If there are multiple D1 recruits, they'll make the drive. If it's slim pickings and it's out of the way, they'll probably pass.

Looking at the top-20 in-state recruits list on the 247 website for the city of Lafayette, La. they seem to have had one single player from Lafayette (Micah Eugene-LSU) rank in the top-20 since they started compiling in 2009.

Looking at the commitment list for Lafayette, La on Rivals, they show 2 guys to LSU (local school), 1 to Miami Fla and 1 to Northwestern since 2009. Other than that it's a few regional, non-BCS teams like Tulane/Memphis/Tulsa recruiting there.

This is not to say that no talent ever comes from Lafayette, but it's plainly not a hotbed of talent compared to other areas in the South and probably not worth the drive for most recruiters.

McGhee was a late offer because our other DB prospects went elsewhere. I believe they are talking about highly recruited guys, not late finds.

Precisely. CK was also a late addition. If our plan-A guys haven't visited by the 30th, it's usually not going to happen. The 30th is for trying to flip some plan-B/C guys at the last minute.

is Dior planning a visit here? don't see anything on any recruiting sites but the offer was just put out recently-let's get him on site and flip!

Nothing official yet. Ryan Burns thinks he'll end up visiting next weekend (24th).

Top Bottom