Official 2014 Spring Football Thread: Articles, Tweets, Analysis & More...

That actually makes more more concerned about Poock then happy about Roderick since he will supposedly start or at least play a bigger role. I would prefer to see our starting OLB run right through our third string or maybe even fifth string RB with Jeff and Berkley then the other way around. i really don't see how you can have 2 of the exact same players like Kirkwood and Williams both getting meaningful snaps when you have those other 3 guys who are so much different then them. Its going to be one or the other.

One does not simply tackle a 235 pound RB with a head of steam. I hope Williams and Kirkwood get plenty of snaps to mix it up. Kirkwood has dished out plenty of highlight reel punishments both as a runner and a pass protector and it's been a joy to watch. Williams has that potential and more.

One does not simply tackle a 235 pound RB with a head of steam. I hope Williams and Kirkwood get plenty of snaps to mix it up. Kirkwood has dished out plenty of highlight reel punishments both as a runner and a pass protector and it's been a joy to watch. Williams has that potential and more.

I totally agree with you Mr. Pompous. The team has great depth at RB going into this season. R Williams has a relatively quick burst to go with his power that is really fun to watch. Kirkwood is solid as well.

That actually makes more more concerned about Poock then happy about Roderick since he will supposedly start or at least play a bigger role. I would prefer to see our starting OLB run right through our third string or maybe even fifth string RB with Jeff and Berkley then the other way around. i really don't see how you can have 2 of the exact same players like Kirkwood and Williams both getting meaningful snaps when you have those other 3 guys who are so much different then them. Its going to be one or the other.

Williams & Kirkwood aren't the "exact same player" at all. Kirkwood maxed out his skills, but Williams is a much bigger boy & is still scratching the surface of his abilities. He's one of the players I'm most excited about in fact. Anyone who watched him crush people his Freshman year or in the non conference last season knows what a beast he can be. Poock will start & he'll be a good player.

PiPress: Gophers football: Cedric Thompson is a willing leader on defense

There are differences in his game that carried over to this spring. It was apparent when he had two interceptions in Tuesday's team drills, and when he had three straight deflected passes in 1-on-1 drills Thursday.

"I read receivers better," Thompson said. "I usually don't play man, but going into the (bowl) game, I said, 'I'm going to play man in this game and see where I'm at.' So now I'm out here in spring playing man a lot. I'm a lot more comfortable."

Thompson asserts that how he played in the bowl game is "going to be every game next year, too."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/c...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Williams & Kirkwood aren't the "exact same player" at all. Kirkwood maxed out his skills, but Williams is a much bigger boy & is still scratching the surface of his abilities. He's one of the players I'm most excited about in fact. Anyone who watched him crush people his Freshman year or in the non conference last season knows what a beast he can be. Poock will start & he'll be a good player.

They are both bowling balls and we only need one of those types when we also have a guy in Cobb that is also a power back, a do a little bit of everything in Jeff Jones and a speed guy in Berkley. We don't need 3 power backs over 225 or we at least don't need to play all 3 of them when we also have 2 completely different backs in Jeff and Berkley.

They are both bowling balls and we only need one of those types when we also have a guy in Cobb that is also a power back, a do a little bit of everything in Jeff Jones and a speed guy in Berkley. We don't need 3 power backs over 225 or we at least don't need to play all 3 of them when we also have 2 completely different backs in Jeff and Berkley.

Williams is a special player.

Are you complaining that we have too much depth? Ask Iowa fans about running back depth. Can never have too many good backs (or any position really).

I'll let Kill decide what we need

Are you complaining that we have too much depth? Ask Iowa fans about running back depth. Can never have too many good backs (or any position really).

Iowa doesn't have any good running backs. Wisconsin i would say always had 3 very talented backs every year, Iowa never does. Weisman is average at best and Bullock and Canzeri are nothing special

Very average speed or maybe bellow average for a guy his size, also poor vision. If he had the burst or speed that a guy like Carlos Hyde has or somewhat remotely close to that then then he would be a very special player. If all you are looking for is a 235 pound frame and nothing more then we could have just picked up Anthony Anderson. My criticism may sound too harsh but I have a high standard for the RB position at the university of Minnesota and want to have elite playmaking RBs that are our best players on the team. I want to have guys like Melvin Gordon and Ameer Abdullah or Maroney and Barber, not the only slightly above average guys like Cobb, Tevin Coleman or Jeremy Langford.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jerry Kill called <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> DT recruit Gary Moore a "Baby Ra'Shede" today after practice. The 6-3, 276-pound Moore is part of 2014 class.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/449391026218991616">March 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Iowa doesn't have any good running backs. Wisconsin i would say always had 3 very talented backs every year, Iowa never does. Weisman is average at best and Bullock and Canzeri are nothing special

You're making my point but somehow not understanding it. Why don't we need multiple power backs? We finally have some decent depth and running back and you're complaining that we have too many of a certain 'type' of running backs (Kirkwood, Williams, Cobb). Other teams would like to have the additional depth. The best will play right away and the others need to be ready to step up when called (Cobb last season). Wouldn't it make more sense to be happy we finally have quality depth for a change instead of complaining we have too many power backs? With as much as we run the ball, good to have guys ready in case of injury or to just keep pounding at the defense.

You're making my point but somehow not understanding it. Why don't we need multiple power backs? We finally have some decent depth and running back and you're complaining that we have too many of a certain 'type' of running backs (Kirkwood, Williams, Cobb). Other teams would like to have the additional depth. The best will play right away and the others need to be ready to step up when called (Cobb last season). Wouldn't it make more sense to be happy we finally have quality depth for a change instead of complaining we have too many power backs? With as much as we run the ball, good to have guys ready in case of injury or to just keep pounding at the defense.

Well I don't want to sound like I am complaining that we have too many power backs on our roster, I just dot see all 3 of them getting major carries. Only one of those three will get a good amount of carries and Jeff and Berkley will get the other carries as they will have completely different and specialized roles at RB.

Dienhart's Top 10 RBs for 2014

http://btn.com/2014/01/21/dienhart-my-top-10-b1g-running-backs-for-2014/

The Iowa intern must have put in Cobb's video. I think Cobb dials it up another notch this year. He is a patient runner, almost too gentle for his size, with great vision who has the ability to put big numbers especially if we can pass the ball better this year. I expect he'll dial up the physicality this year.

What I saw of Williams in 2012-2013 (though limited) pleased me. He is a physical, thundering, twisting, huge Nigerian Nightmare-type RB that can come in and punish defenses, especially in short yardage or goal line. He doesn't need to be our every down back. Change of pace, Thunder and Lightning, whatever. He seems plenty fast to me with the old eyeball test.

Well I don't want to sound like I am complaining that we have too many power backs on our roster, I just dot see all 3 of them getting major carries. Only one of those three will get a good amount of carries and Jeff and Berkley will get the other carries as they will have completely different and specialized roles at RB.

I wonder if it would be out of the question for Rodrick to redshirt this year (while Cobb, Jones, Kirkwood, and Edwards get the carries) and then Jones/Williams/Edwards tear it up in year 2015. I probably have my Madden glasses on.

The coaching staff has mentioned using Edwards in different ways to get him the ball, I'm taking that as putting him in the slot or out wide. I could see Edwards and Jones splitting time at that hybrid position and Cobb and Williams both used exclusively in the backfield running downhill. We're an offense desperate of playmakers, if all 4 guys can play then having that depth is a good thing. Odds are at least one of them will get hurt anyways. Kirkwood is the odd man out IMO, he may be a valuable guy on special teams though.

Rodrick Williams is no slouch when healthy. He's a guy that always falls forward and gets the tough yards, there's certainly some value in having a guy like that. And if he has his head on right like the reports say, watch out.

Comments like this always make me wonder if people actual watch or know anything about football. Running backs "win" more often than linebackers do. It's the 10-12 times a game that the linebackers "win" that make the difference.

Practice Observations from Thursday

The practice rules limit what can be put up on the internet.
Kill ran a very up tempo practice today. Intensity was very high.
The passing game has received a lot of attention this spring. Come to practice and you will see a lot of balls flying through the air.
Quarterbacks have looked very good this spring, again they have been throwing a lot of passes. Dominic McKinzy is very talented. He has beautiful throwing mechanics. Six foot ten inch Nate Wozniak has very high potential. (no pun intended) He can pull down those high passes and run. Good luck to the defensive backs. Pirsig is an absolute beast. He's about the biggest human being you will ever see. The Defensive Backs are athletic and fast. They can also deliver a hard hit.
Coach Kill looks great, he's slim, trim and has a healthy glow.

I just want to echo what Johnny Gopher posted in a different thread. I agree with everything and would add a few items.

McKinzy is talented but looked very raw - like all QBs do when they first come in.

Leidner looks like the real deal. He is clearly the number one and his workouts with the wide receivers are showing. We WILL have a passing attack in the fall. I don’t know how good it will be, but it will definitely be better, with the potential to be very good.

Steveler also looked good although in my mind he is the clear number two. Steveler is fairly fast and if he ever breaks contain he will do some damage to the other team. I would expect him to get a lot of playing time in the first two games and whenever feasible during the season. With just a little bit of real game experience he can be a number two we won’t have to worry about.

Rhoda is good and not far behind Steveler but is a clear number three.

Of note to me was both Leidner and Steveler threw some VERY ACCURATE long passes. If the Gophers can hit one or two of those every game (or 20 for that matter) it will greatly loosen up the defenses.

Edwards is fast - Abdullah, Mark, Gorden fast. Just having him run jet sweeps will make defenses adjust and also loosen up defenses.

The receivers as a group looked pretty good to me. I know Kill recruits kids with good hands but I couldn’t tell if they were making catches because they had good hands or because the balls from the QB’s were on target. It is amazing how good a receiver can be if the ball hits him in the hands.

The pass D looked really good to me. When the receivers didn’t catch the ball it was usually because a D back was swatting it away.

The running backs looked fresh. I thought both Kirkwood and Williams had some nice runs and I can see both of them playing - especially towards the end of games if we have a lead and are trying to run out the clock.

I focused mostly on the offense but I did note a couple of things about the defense. I have already mentioned the D backs but I also noticed Wilson looked good, and Campbell is tall and fast. I would expect both of them to have good years.

I don't think I have posted anything that isn't common knowledge but I just wanted to reinforce some observations

Comments like this always make me wonder if people actual watch or know anything about football. Running backs "win" more often than linebackers do. It's the 10-12 times a game that the linebackers "win" that make the difference.

Yes i understand that it is not easy to tackle a 5-11 235 pounder and that running backs usually can get an extra yard or 2 more often then get driven back when they get brought down but i would prefer to see our supposedly future starting OLB not get "run over" as the article described it. I hope Rallis starts anyways.

Yes i understand that it is not easy to tackle a 5-11 235 pounder and that running backs usually can get an extra yard or 2 more often then get driven back when they get brought down but i would prefer to see our supposedly future starting OLB not get "run over" as the article described it. I hope Rallis starts anyways.

I vote for whomever is the better linebacker after fall competition to be the starter.

So you're saying your opinion is to not have an opinion? You don't care if we recruit a QB ever again as long as Kill decides not to. Okay...

Sorry you failed to read what I was responding to and understand the most basic of concepts. The statement I was replying to was "We don't need 3 power backs over 225 "

Sorry you didn't come even close to comprehending.

I vote for whomever is the better linebacker after fall competition to be the starter.

I believe that just may be how Kill and Company will decide who will start but I suspect that you all ready knew that. :rolleyes:

I'm a major Williams fan as well. Kind of shocked he didn't have his own break out year last year but he'll be fine moving forward.

The emergence of Cobb last year should have major ripple effects across the program/roster. Cobb showed everyone in the program that if you work hard and focus on your business, you can go from in the doghouse or almost forgotten to a major impact player/starter.

Let's see who steps out of the shadows this year!! Maybe it's even Williams, who knows

Go Gophers!!

Sorry to go off topic with the video but seeing Wozniak at 0:20 playing out wide! Wow. I like that a lot and it shows that he will be more then just a blocker and be a legitimate threat in the receiving game and will probably stay at TE instead of just developing into another OT.

Really like that Eric Murray interview. First time I've seen him/heard him speak. Seems like a great kid.

I was at the practice today. The kickers were out early, and all looked good kicking, especially Santoso. However, later they practiced field goals with a live scrimmage, and nearly every kick was off target. Amazing what a little pressure does.

Top Bottom