Official 2014 Spring Football Thread: Articles, Tweets, Analysis & More...

This is great to see:

• Brian Bobek, a transfer from Ohio State who missed last season because of a heart infection, was cleared for contact this week and is already pushing for playing time at center behind Olson.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/250272791.html

Go Gophers!!

I'm loving the offensive line news this spring. How do you improve a defense? Get a better offense. And that all starts with the offensive line. Think back to the O line of the Brew era and now what we have. It's only going to get better and better.

And we bring in a recruit like Jeff Jones and guys are talking about red shirting him. Are you shirting me???

Some great news coming from spring practice but in areas I expected to hear good things from. Was hoping to ear more news from our weak positions like WR. That being said keeping the defense strong and impoved players across the entire field will only help.

As far as Jones red shirting it might be hard to imagine but this would be ideal if he can be on board with it. We have Cobb, Kirkwood, and Williams all with experience and we all want to see what Edwards can bring to the mix. Having Jones take a year to develope his body, learn the system, and allow the seniors to clear out would set him up to be the go to guy along with Edwards in 2015. Playing him next year would be fine but just how much action is he going to get? I think it makes a ton of sense to bring just one RB into the fold this year in Edwards. The following year you then have Jones, Edwards, and Williams as the veteran guy at the position.

Lauer - 6-7, 310
Epping - 6-2, 321
Olson - 6-4, 301
Campion - 6-5, 326
Prisig - 6-9, 325

Meh...maybe Klein can get these guys in the weight room and bulk them up a little.

Agreed. Until our guys start developing exertional rhabdomyolysis we haven't gone far enough.

WolfontheProwl; said:
As far as Jones red shirting it might be hard to imagine but this would be ideal if he can be on board with it. We have Cobb, Kirkwood, and Williams all with experience and we all want to see what Edwards can bring to the mix. Having Jones take a year to develope his body, learn the system, and allow the seniors to clear out would set him up to be the go to guy along with Edwards in 2015. Playing him next year would be fine but just how much action is he going to get? I think it makes a ton of sense to bring just one RB into the fold this year in Edwards. The following year you then have Jones, Edwards, and Williams as the veteran guy at the position.

I agree with you. This is something Gopher Football fans and fans of up and coming teams don't get. I always hear fans on the board talking about the next superstar. Mankato Jesus and now Mr Jones. I want my favorite team to redshirt these players and have a roster that forces these frosh to sit, learn and develop. Like Pirsig. High school to college is a tough transition for every student. Perhaps Nelson would still be here if we had a solid Junior or Senior starting for us. Now we've got a Sophmore leading the team? I don't love it. My point is, that unbelievable Freshman come once in a lifetime and even if their physically ready, the head might not be there. Doriel Green Beckham comes to mind.

I love that our backfield is crowded, so crowded that a stud like Jones will redshirt and not be number 1 anytime soon. Think of Wisky, every damn year they have a stud junior or senior running back and O lineman.

More depth and less freshman playing = a bigger sweet spot and less room for error. Go Gophers!!!

Some great news coming from spring practice but in areas I expected to hear good things from. Was hoping to ear more news from our weak positions like WR. That being said keeping the defense strong and impoved players across the entire field will only help.

If he's good enough, it seems likely he'd jump to the NFL as soon as possible. In that case he'd leave after playing 2 years as a RsSO instead of 3 years as a JR. I know that's getting ahead of things, but it would be a reason to not RS him.

I agree with you. This is something Gopher Football fans and fans of up and coming teams don't get. I always hear fans on the board talking about the next superstar. Mankato Jesus and now Mr Jones. I want my favorite team to redshirt these players and have a roster that forces these frosh to sit, learn and develop. Like Pirsig. High school to college is a tough transition for every student. Perhaps Nelson would still be here if we had a solid Junior or Senior starting for us. Now we've got a Sophmore leading the team? I don't love it. My point is, that unbelievable Freshman come once in a lifetime and even if their physically ready, the head might not be there. Doriel Green Beckham comes to mind.

I love that our backfield is crowded, so crowded that a stud like Jones will redshirt and not be number 1 anytime soon. Think of Wisky, every damn year they have a stud junior or senior running back and O lineman.

More depth and less freshman playing = a bigger sweet spot and less room for error. Go Gophers!!!

There isn't a comparison between Nelson as a recruit and Jones as a recruit. Jones is easily the highest-rated recruit the Gophers have signed in the Rivals era. Pirsig is irrelevant, because OL almost always redshirt to gain size and strength. Speed-position players (especially on offense) redshirt at a lower rate than any other on the field. Becky isn't a good comparison, given that many of their recent RBs (Ball, White, and Clement) played as true freshmen despite having talented veteran RBs in front of them. Jones is rated more highly than any of them, and they were all competing with other Becky RBs that were more highly rated than anyone in front of Jones. If Jones earns it, he plays.

There isn't a comparison between Nelson as a recruit and Jones as a recruit. Jones is easily the highest-rated recruit the Gophers have signed in the Rivals era. Pirsig is irrelevant, because OL almost always redshirt to gain size and strength. Speed-position players (especially on offense) redshirt at a lower rate than any other on the field. Becky isn't a good comparison, given that many of their recent RBs (Ball, White, and Clement) played as true freshmen despite having talented veteran RBs in front of them. Jones is rated more highly than any of them, and they were all competing with other Becky RBs that were more highly rated than anyone in front of Jones. If Jones earns it, he plays.

WRONG! Damn it Dpo, why do you always have to be such an asshat about literally EVERTHING!?!?!?

You've totally missed my point. It's about having a team that possesses depth so a freshman running back like Jones won't be the #1 guy. Which is a good thing.

And I think the Nelson vs. Jones is exactly the same. Plenty of board members quoted Tom Lemming who said Nelson was his #2 pocket passer that year. You have a memory like a lot of people. Nelson was the greatest thing that happened to JerrySota up until Jones maybe. Nelson was the straw that would stir the drink for years. And I don't think a kid that could have gone to ANY school in the country is irrelevant in this argument. Going by offers which, lets be honest is the truest meter of a prospects worth, Pirsig is the best prospect the Gophers have ever gotten.

At least you didn't insult or bully me this time. I appreciate your respect.

You've totally missed my point. It's about having a team that possesses depth so a freshman running back like Jones won't be the #1 guy. Which is a good thing.

If Jones is the best guy, the existing depth is completely irrelevant. If he's the best, or among the best, he plays. Period.

And I think the Nelson vs. Jones is exactly the same. Plenty of board members quoted Tom Lemming who said Nelson was his #2 pocket passer that year. You have a memory like a lot of people. Nelson was the greatest thing that happened to JerrySota up until Jones maybe. Nelson was the straw that would stir the drink for years. And I don't think a kid that could have gone to ANY school in the country is irrelevant in this argument. Going by offers which, lets be honest is the truest meter of a prospects worth, Pirsig is the best prospect the Gophers have ever gotten.

I don't care what people here were saying about Nelson. You can't say "look at the offer list" for Pirsig and then whine about what Gopher fans were saying about Nelson while completely disregarding his offer list. Nelson would've gotten more offers had he not committed so early, but an unbiased look says he was a solid in-state prospect who the Gophers wanted and needed. Jones is a once-in-a-generation type recruit. It's not even close to "exactly the same".

P.S. The offer lists of Pirsig and Jones are of virtually identical quality, while Jones is far, far, far more highly rated. You also conveniently ignore the fact that OL (particularly tackles) redshirt almost 100% of the time, while RBs see the field as true freshman very frequently. In fact, the only two scholarship RBs on roster who redshirted both did so because of injury (Kirkwood and Edwards). But we're going to redshirt Jones even if he's earned his way onto the field? Please.

At least you didn't insult or bully me this time.

:rolleyes:

MN Daily: Campbell could emerge as playmaker
The Gophers junior linebacker recorded 41 tackles in his first year with the team.

Still, many think Campbell has the potential to be a first-round pick down the road.

“He has a great future ahead of him if he keeps doing everything he needs to do,” head coach Jerry Kill said.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2014/03/11/campbell-could-emerge-playmaker

Go Gophers!!

seriously a Nelson vs Jones compairison... there is no compairison... JONES IS A TOP 50 PLAYER IRREGARDLESS OF POSITION!!! hes a playmaker... top 50 national recruits don't redshirt... stop comparing him to ANYONE on our roster.. we don't have and haven't had anyone with his ability don the maroon and gold in a very very long time... so stop your bitching.. grab a cold grainbelt and come August get your popcorn ready as the B1G Network has the season premier of the JONES show...

If he's good enough, it seems likely he'd jump to the NFL as soon as possible. In that case he'd leave after playing 2 years as a RsSO instead of 3 years as a JR. I know that's getting ahead of things, but it would be a reason to not RS him.

That's my thinking

seriously a Nelson vs Jones compairison... there is no compairison... JONES IS A TOP 50 PLAYER IRREGARDLESS OF POSITION!!! hes a playmaker... top 50 national recruits don't redshirt... stop comparing him to ANYONE on our roster.. we don't have and haven't had anyone with his ability don the maroon and gold in a very very long time... so stop your bitching.. grab a cold grainbelt and come August get your popcorn ready as the B1G Network has the season premier of the JONES show...

heh...irregardless.

It is incredibly insulting to Jeff Jones that you think Philip Nelson compared to him. I didn't know a top 50 recruit is the same as a 2 star(on ESPN) actually on 247 Nelson was only the 8th best player in the state as well. Mitch was actually 7th according to them. Nelson never ever was a savior and he was a middle of the pack guy in our class or at least thats what i believed and he turned out to be a middle of the pack guy. Andre, Isaac Hayes, Harbeson and Pirsig were the gems of the class, not Nelson. Really our only recruit from the internet age that legitimately compares to Jeff is Hayo Carpenter who actually had 5 stars on scout, better then Jeff but at least compare him to MarQueis or Alipate, not Philip Nelson.

I could be wrong, but with this staff, it doesn't seem that complicated;

If Jones can't pick up the blocking schemes, he won't play. End of story, at least that's what I'm guessing.

If Jones can't pick up the blocking schemes, he won't play. End of story, at least that's what I'm guessing.

+1 People just don't listen to what Kill says. It is really quite simple, i.e. if a player is the best and can be counted on, he will play.

P.S. GopherHolers opinions also have no impact on who will start either.

Actually you missed the point. JJ is in a different league than the guys in front of him. Sitting/redshirting him would be like if Mason did it to Maroney. There was talent in front of him, but you simply don't sit kids with that talent planning for 5-years down the road. You put them on the field ASAP - especially at RB where the 'transition' isn't as great as at other positions.

Or if he fumbles much.

Didn't seem to hurt leidner's time last year.

Seriously, I can't believe it wasn't stressed more during practice and allowed to linger all year. It better be a point of emphasis this offseason.

+1 People just don't listen to what Kill says. It is really quite simple, i.e. if a player is the best and can be counted on, he will play.

P.S. GopherHolers opinions also have no impact on who will start either.

Jones will play if he can contribute on the field. either getting reps behind the QB or anywhere he can make an impact.

Kill will put the best on the field as much as possible.

Lets Hope Mitch can lead the team to improvement.

The only way Jones red shirts is if he is injured during the summer. Kill needs to win now and he won't sit a running back if that player is ready to jump over a few others. I'd rather see Williams Jr. red shirt (which I know won't happen). Blocking will dictate if he plays a lot or a little, but Jones will play.

Jones will play if he can contribute on the field. either getting reps behind the QB or anywhere he can make an impact.

Kill will put the best on the field as much as possible.

Lets Hope Mitch can lead the team to improvement.

You guys keep just wanting to highlight the "on the field" activity for Jones and the rest of the gophers. If that were the case i would totally agree, the fact of the matter is though that Jones has struggled academically in high school, and for him to see playing time he needs to be at a solid level scholastically speaking. As of right now he is not there, and it takes time. I believe Jones could contribute right away "on the field", but off the field as a student he still needs to buckle down, meaning I see his first year being one focused on becoming an all around solid college student/athlete. Im betting he redshirts his freshman year, plus we have some solid depth in front of him.

You guys keep just wanting to highlight the "on the field" activity for Jones and the rest of the gophers. If that were the case i would totally agree, the fact of the matter is though that Jones has struggled academically in high school, and for him to see playing time he needs to be at a solid level scholastically speaking. As of right now he is not there, and it takes time. I believe Jones could contribute right away "on the field", but off the field as a student he still needs to buckle down, meaning I see his first year being one focused on becoming an all around solid college student/athlete. Im betting he redshirts his freshman year, plus we have some solid depth in front of him.

Good point with the scholastic part. Depth won't matter much if he is better than the older guys. Kill needs to keep winning.

That is not how it works. If he gets admitted he will be eligible to play right away. They certainly will be checking on him to be sure that he is attending classes and doing his work. If he isn't, he will be treated the same way as any player who does follow the rules, i.e. he won't play. That is how it works when you play for Kill.

P.S. Summer school should give a good indication if he is struggling.

But, Jeff is lightyears ahead of Cobb already! I just read it above!

I could be wrong, but with this staff, it doesn't seem that complicated; If Jones can't pick up the blocking schemes, he won't play. End of story, at least that's what I'm guessing.

No, if he really can't block for some reason, they will use him in the slot running jet sweeps and catching passes. You don't sit a player like this.

Top Bottom