Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

FWIW, Ryan Burns talked to Melvin Holland senior and he told Burns that they were surprised by how it wasn't that cold last night at the hockey game and that it was just as cold in Virginia. This is very good news as Holland has said that weather will be a factor in his decision.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Picture of in-state <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherFootball">@GopherFootball</a> commit <a href="https://twitter.com/Steltz_78">@Steltz_78</a> on his in-home visit tonight with Coach Kill & <a href="https://twitter.com/PhelpsDLCoach">@PhelpsDLCoach</a>! <a href="http://t.co/DDXWNmGhXZ">pic.twitter.com/DDXWNmGhXZ</a></p>— Ryan Burns (@RyanBurnsGI) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsGI/statuses/424414750550659073">January 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dorian Baker is taking an OV to Indiana this weekend. I view this as a good sign, as it means he is still considering options other than Kentucky. It goes without saying that it would be mind blowing to land both Baker and Holland.

FWIW, Ryan Burns talked to Melvin Holland senior and he told Burns that they were surprised by how it wasn't that cold last night at the hockey game and that it was just as cold in Virginia. This is very good news as Holland has said that weather will be a factor in his decision.

Great news. The weather sounded like it was their biggest concern.

I'm a bigger fan of J'Vonte Herrod then Rodney Smith. What ever happened to that offer?

That is good news. His biggest concern was whether he could handle the weather (pun intended).

For those who don't follow that closely, here's an updated list of everyone that appears to still be seriously on the radar. I've placed the players without current offers in italics.

Runningback
- Jeff Jones -- I think everyone knows this story already, but considering us, Michigan, and Florida.
-Rodney Smith -- Also in contact with East Carolina (OV), Southern Miss (OV), Middle Tennessee State, and Georgia State.

Wide Receiver
-Melvin Holland -- Has official visits with Rutgers and Wake Forest, likely to visit Wisconsin as well.
-Brayden Lenius -- Visiting Washington State this weekend, followed by us. Claims an offer from Miami but don't think it's committable.
-Cortez Lewis -- Much like his friend and teammate Demetrius, he's committed to Wake Forest, while also considering us, Boise State, and Northern Illinois.
-Isaiah Gentry- Currently committed to Kent State. Visiting us next weekend.
-Kelvin Cook -- Visiting us next weekend. He and Gentry could be backup plans, or they could have offers waiting for them when they visit.

Offensive Line
-Frank Ragnow -- Finalized his list to us, FSU, and Arkansas. FSU seems like a backup plan at best, so it appears to be us and the Hogs.
-Jared Weyler -- Recent offer. Currently committed to Bowling Green. Visiting us next weekend.

Defensive End/ Linebacker
-Tegray Scales -- Had an official with Indiana this weekend before visiting us next weekend. I've heard Scales could be a defensive end eventually.
-Josh Black- Will take his last official with us on the 31st after having visited Arizona, South Florida, Toledo, and Marshall. USF appears to be the leader.
-Walter Brady- Currently committed to Mid Tennessee State. Also visiting us on the 31st. Again, I've heard both Scales and Black be discussed as defensive end options, so Brady could be a backup to both, as he currently is without an offer.

Defensive Back
-Craig James -- James' recruiting has gone quiet, which has led to speculation that he's already a silent verbal.
-Martevius Mims -- Had an official visit with Western Kentucky this weekend
-Demetrius Kemp -- Has visits with Wake Forest, Boise State, and Southern Miss
-Patrick Porter -- Announced his commitment to Washington State before taking visits to us and Miami. No idea what's going on here, frankly.
-Christian Campbell -- Visiting us next weekend, followed by Arkansas. Currently without an offer from either school.
-Patrick Ontko -- Visiting next weekend. Without an offer. Not sure if he's being considered or if this is another walk-on.

So that's 18 guys (13 with current offers) for about 7-8 spots (including Jones as being open at this point). Some of them currently are without offers and appear to be backup plans, but they appear to be hoping for both runningbacks, 2-3 wide receivers, Ragnow, a DE/LB hybrid type, and 2-3 defensive backs. The recent offensive lineman offer is an interesting one, as I'm obviously not sure if it's conditional to Frank. Taking four offensive lineman when we're already so incredibly deep seems a tad indulgent when we currently are so starved for depth at receiver and defensive back.

It goes without saying that there may be a wildcard or two as well, and this isn't including guys who used to be in the picture that I think are a bit out of it now (specifically J'Vonte Herrod and Dorian Baker)

Good write up, just a few notes....

- Sounds like the WR Gentry may have just barely qualified. Should be interesting to see if we offer now.

- Hard for me to imagine Tegray Scales playing DE. Rivals has him at 6'0", ESPN at 6'2", so let's call him 6'1". Teams like their DE's taller than 6'1" and it's hard to put 245-255lbs on a 6'1" frame. If you can, you're probably playing MLB or FB. He's also listed at around 215lbs, but is currently wrestling at 195lbs, so I'm trying to figure out how we get him to 220lbs, much less 250lbs. I watch his film & think "Keenan Cooper", but that's just me.

- I think Josh Black has grade issues which is why he's so good & doesn't have good offers. I believe (?) we've moved on.

- Also believe Patrick Porter does not have an offer.

- If we could finish off with the following, I'd be ecstatic:

RB- Smith

WR- Holland
WR- Kemp
WR- Lewis

OL- Ragnow

LB-Scales

CB- James
CB- Mims

The secret weapon - a cookie cake!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nice Visit "Golden Gophers" <a href="http://t.co/CYuCqh2LMu">pic.twitter.com/CYuCqh2LMu</a></p>— Melvin Holland Sr (@melvin_holland) <a href="https://twitter.com/melvin_holland/statuses/424889970663247873">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Good write up, just a few notes....

- Sounds like the WR Gentry may have just barely qualified. Should be interesting to see if we offer now.

- Hard for me to imagine Tegray Scales playing DE. Rivals has him at 6'0", ESPN at 6'2", so let's call him 6'1". Teams like their DE's taller than 6'1" and it's hard to put 245-255lbs on a 6'1" frame. If you can, you're probably playing MLB or FB. He's also listed at around 215lbs, but is currently wrestling at 195lbs, so I'm trying to figure out how we get him to 220lbs, much less 250lbs. I watch his film & think "Keenan Cooper", but that's just me.

- I think Josh Black has grade issues which is why he's so good & doesn't have good offers. I believe (?) we've moved on.

- Also believe Patrick Porter does not have an offer.

- If we could finish off with the following, I'd be ecstatic:

RB- Smith

WR- Holland
WR- Kemp
WR- Lewis

OL- Ragnow

LB-Scales

CB- James
CB- Mims

DEs like Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney didn't let their respective 6' 2" and 6' 1" frames hinder them. I like the "bat-down" abilities of the DE, too. But I really like the un-real closing speed both those small and quick DEs have even more. To be clear - Scales may or may not play DE or whatever, but size - especially for an incoming freshmen - should not be an issue at this point.

Scales is being recruited as a LB. Is being told he could start at LB as a Frosh. No way does he move to DE.

DEs like Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney didn't let their respective 6' 2" and 6' 1" frames hinder them. I like the "bat-down" abilities of the DE, too. But I really like the un-real closing speed both those small and quick DEs have even more. To be clear - Scales may or may not play DE or whatever, but size - especially for an incoming freshmen - should not be an issue at this point.

I'm not saying you have to be 6'6" to play DE, but you usually project players by their frame & 6'1", 195lbs is pretty small frame for a DE. For reference, our Safety recruit Blasingame is bigger than Scales at 6'1", 203lbs. Also, I follow our recruiting pretty closely & haven't heard anything about him to DE so as much as I appreciate the report, I'm having a hard time imagining him ever playing DE.

I'm not making any speculation on the position he is going to play but where are you seeing that he weighs 195? Rivals has him at 205, Scout at 210, 247 and ESPN at 215. Just looking at his pictures on 247, he looks bigger than 195.

He would be a huge pickup either way.

I'm not making any speculation on the position he is going to play but where are you seeing that he weighs 195? Rivals has him at 205, Scout at 210, 247 and ESPN at 215. Just looking at his pictures on 247, he looks bigger than 195.

He would be a huge pickup either way.

He is an elite wrestler and is currently wrestling at 195lbs. Also wrestled at 195lbs last year. Maybe he goes 200lbs or 205lbs when it's not wrestling season? Regardless, I'd love to have him, I just think his role will be as an undersized, speed linebacker like Keenan Cooper.

He is an elite wrestler and is currently wrestling at 195lbs. Also wrestled at 195lbs last year. Maybe he goes 200lbs or 205lbs when it's not wrestling season? Regardless, I'd love to have him, I just think his role will be as an undersized, speed linebacker like Keenan Cooper.

I'm with you on this.

Mathis and Is an exception, and actually is a lb now. Freeney may have been short but his lower body was like a tank... Using two of the greatest pass rushers to ever play the game as a reason a 18 yr old recruit can play a position is quite the stretch.

If this kid is that size wrestling, the second he quits that career I have to imagine the weight is going to come quite easily. Could be quite the olb with that wrestling technique in his blood.

Wrestling at 195 is entirely different than walking around everyday at 195. If he weighed 215 during the football season, I'm willing to bet he rarely lifts during the wrestling season in order to make weight because he didn't appear to have 20lbs of fat in his pics. Once he starts lifting hard again I wouldn't be surprised if he got on campus at 215-220.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NCT Rohan Blackwood is visiting <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23USF&src=hash">#USF</a> this weekend. Marshall, Mizzou and Minnesota pushing hard for former Badgers commit</p>— Matt Baker (@MattHomeTeam) <a href="https://twitter.com/MattHomeTeam/statuses/424320771826417665">January 17, 2014</a></blockquote>

6'5", 220, plenty of size to add more weight to him.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Rohan-Blackwood-132430

Mims committed to Western Kentucky today. I thought he was basically a lock to MN and had a commitable offer, but maybe that wasn't the case.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Committed to play football at Western Kentucky University! ??</p>— Martavius Mims 1⃣3⃣ (@Mims_NotHot) <a href="https://twitter.com/Mims_NotHot/statuses/424995497615839232">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Safe to say I hate Iowa and they have the ugliest basketball team</p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/424995525125890048">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Safe to say I hate Iowa and they have the ugliest basketball team</p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/424995525125890048">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

LOL. Smart kid :)

-The comment on Scales wasn't meant to be that I had some inside scoop or anything. I've read suggestions that he could be viewed as a pass-rush guy down the line. It was mostly a throwaway comment and if it turns out to be 100% wrong I wouldn't be surprised. This is the internet, after all.

-If Josh Black is off the radar what's the point of bringing him in? Doesn't make much sense to me.

-Can't believe we lost Mims to Western Kentucky. I just...ugh...

-If Josh Black is off the radar what's the point of bringing him in? Doesn't make much sense to me.

-Can't believe we lost Mims to Western Kentucky. I just...ugh...

No B1G team would lose someone to Western Kentucky. I'm pretty sure he didn't have a commitable offer and it will make sense come signing day. Patrick Porter is still visiting, and Christian Campbell (safety) will be here next week. I never completely bought into the Mims recruitment, because we don't need a JUCO CB unless they are a top-end talent.

As for Josh Black, he seems to be a priority and could be a MLB.

The Mims story is confusing; no other major offers, mediocre rankings on all major websites. Yet some claimed he was a major target for the Gophers. In any case it does not seem he was a big loss for the program.

The Mims story is confusing; no other major offers, mediocre rankings on all major websites. Yet some claimed he was a major target for the Gophers. In any case it does not seem he was a big loss for the program.

Claiming something is not the same as knowing something. Claiming something is :blah: :blah: :blah:

Wrestling at 195 is entirely different than walking around everyday at 195. If he weighed 215 during the football season, I'm willing to bet he rarely lifts during the wrestling season in order to make weight because he didn't appear to have 20lbs of fat in his pics. Once he starts lifting hard again I wouldn't be surprised if he got on campus at 215-220.

Most of the people who wrestle at 195 are walking around at about 205-210 during the wrestling season. If he is an elite wrestler, I'd guess he is walking around at 215 (more elite wrestler are usually better at shedding weight). It's really easy to shed 10-15 lbs before a weigh-in. For instance, Pascal fought Bute last night at 173.5, he walks around (during training but pre-weight cut) at 195ish. Boxing is a little different because you don't have to make weight every week, so the cuts are more drastic. However, if he wrestles at 195, I'd guess he'll walk onto campus next season, wherever he lands, at 220.

No B1G team would lose someone to Western Kentucky. I'm pretty sure he didn't have a commitable offer and it will make sense come signing day. Patrick Porter is still visiting, and Christian Campbell (safety) will be here next week. I never completely bought into the Mims recruitment, because we don't need a JUCO CB unless they are a top-end talent.
Mims isn't a JC guy. I'm thinking there may be something to that silent verbal rumor from Craig James.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Martavius-Mims-153297
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Craig-James-147662

Top Bottom