Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Not trying to say the class rankings are the end all but I as you do fall on the "stars matter" side.

As far as wins and losses I look at the conference record and see a 4-12 record. I understand that is only after 2 years and Kill's tenure cannot be judge after 2 years. It appears though some have already declared after 2 years Kill has it all figured out and if you don't share that point of view you ust don't get it.

No one has said he has it all figured out but he is doing the same things Wisconsin and Iowa did to fix their messes. Will he be as successful ? I hope so but I also think it will be harder simply because they are better. But the program isn't the Amateur Hour anymore. No system changes every year, no annual coordinator changes , no more recruiting 5 players a year that can't get into school, no more two year gaps in recruiting o-linemen, no more recruiting H/S widereceivers that belong in D2, and everyone can run.
That is not Ohio S but it is not the bleeped up mess we were three years ago either.

Bob_Loblaw said:
This is all semantics. It doesn't matter whether you put it under a larger umbrella of recruiting or whether you consider it recruiting and player development. However, any way you slice it, the kid's ability to get in and stay in school play a huge part of the recruiting process. We see players all of the time who HAD great offers, something came up (appears academic) and they end up at Ball State or Boise State. Those schools stopped recruiting the player because of those red flags.

I don't know much about Army recruiters, but I know job recruiters look into "fit" and ability to "get the job done". They look at candidates resumes and if they see the candidate switches jobs every two weeks, they are usually much less interested (because of attrition).

It's part of the entire process. Killjoy puts it all under the umbrella of recruiting and you prefer to break it off into seperate categories. But it all is an attempt to get the same goal. . .having a more talented roster.

What does a "more talented roster" mean? MarQueis Gray was the most talented QB we've ever had, but he wasn't the best QB we've ever had. Why? Bad recruiting or development? No other team wanted Eric Decker. Great recruiting or scouting? Texas turned away RG3 and Johnny Football. Bad recruiting? No, they could have had them. If you lump everything together in one term, you can't accurately discuss the process because there are a number of reasons players turn out or don't.

@mcallisteronfox: Sparta (NJ) Pope John WR Noah Brown RT @nb_dosuno: Picked up my 19th offer from Minnesota today #GoldenGophers

Go Gophers!!

I think good ol' country Jerr gets recruiting and is doing a fine job of achieving better success through incremental steps across the board. The team is well managed. They are into the whole conditioning, make no mistakes, learn the playbook, stay in class, and graduate routine. They are also beginning to understand the culture of winning. Jerry is doing one thing that I believe is fundamental to football: recruit the lines and all else will improve with time. He has a dearth of nose tackles like this team has never seen before in the modern era. He recruits for both sides of the ball, which makes it tougher. I think he really is building on a long term vision and that takes more than 2 recruiting cycles to carry out. I like what I see already on his offer sheet and his acceptance tally. I would like to him to land another candidate or two for PR purposes that have merit in the next week or two.

Kill and staff are working. Let's just let them work and see what shakes out in the next 2 to 3 years. I'm all in for patience. From my seat, I think we will see more victories sooner than people realize or expect. When the national press corps start noticing individual Minnesota players for early kudos, like RH, well, they must see something going on at Minnesota or they wouldn't even dig that deeply at the roster.

Of course, I'm usually wrong, so I'll end my rant here.

+1

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI 38m
Kansas RB Deron Thompson (@deronTHETRUTH20) tells me #Minnesota is his leader right now. Thompson ran a 10.69 100 this month. Kid can move.

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI 49m
#Gopher offeree Kansas RB Deron Thompson RT @deronTHETRUTH20 Can't wait to get up to Minnesota and feel that game atmosphere!

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI 38m
Kansas RB Deron Thompson (@deronTHETRUTH20) tells me #Minnesota is his leader right now. Thompson ran a 10.69 100 this month. Kid can move.

#Gopher offeree Kansas RB Deron Thompson RT @deronTHETRUTH20 Can't wait to get up to Minnesota and feel that game atmosphere!

Seems like he would be a pretty solid get

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Deron-Thompson-143869

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=6891158

http://247sports.com/Player/Deron-Thompson-30948

What does a "more talented roster" mean? MarQueis Gray was the most talented QB we've ever had, but he wasn't the best QB we've ever had. Why? Bad recruiting or development? No other team wanted Eric Decker. Great recruiting or scouting? Texas turned away RG3 and Johnny Football. Bad recruiting? No, they could have had them. If you lump everything together in one term, you can't accurately discuss the process because there are a number of reasons players turn out or don't.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but you seem pretty preoccupied by these kinds of arguments that are largely based on semantics. But I'll indulge.

#1: "More talented roster"=A roster full of people who are better at football. I think most people thought that Gray was an extremely athletic QB, however athleticism does not always equate to talent. For instance, I think we all think that Drew Brees is a more talented QB than Gray, even though Gray is larger, faster, more athletic, etc. By a "more talented roster", I mean a roster full of better football players.

#2: Why does it matter how you break down the terminology? I would almost always use the same terminology as you're using (referring to recruiting as the salesmanship and player development as choosing the players). However, it works to use the other form (just calling it all recruiting). For the people who just describe it all under the label of "recruiting", they understand that there are other elements than salesmanship that go into the process. It's part of the process. We all get it, regardless of the terminology, that assembling a roster is a multi-faceted process. It seems pretty arbitrary to insist on a particular terminology.

Bob_Loblaw said:
I don't mean to be a jerk, but you seem pretty preoccupied by these kinds of arguments that are largely based on semantics. But I'll indulge.

#1: "More talented roster"=A roster full of people who are better at football. I think most people thought that Gray was an extremely athletic QB, however athleticism does not always equate to talent. For instance, I think we all think that Drew Brees is a more talented QB than Gray, even though Gray is larger, faster, more athletic, etc. By a "more talented roster", I mean a roster full of better football players.

#2: Why does it matter how you break down the terminology? I would almost always use the same terminology as you're using (referring to recruiting as the salesmanship and player development as choosing the players). However, it works to use the other form (just calling it all recruiting). For the people who just describe it all under the label of "recruiting", they understand that there are other elements than salesmanship that go into the process. It's part of the process. We all get it, regardless of the terminology, that assembling a roster is a multi-faceted process. It seems pretty arbitrary to insist on a particular terminology.

I also don't mean to be a jerk, but the same people that group all aspects into one word "recruiting" are the same ones saying that its a myth that Brew was a good recruiter because the talents didn't translate to on field production, but that's not the same thing. I'll stop now because that's not what this thread is for.

aaaaand He Who Should Not Be Named is already interacting with him/Dimonic etc.. What a sad, sad man.

aaaaand He Who Should Not Be Named is already interacting with him/Dimonic etc.. What a sad, sad man.

How pathetic...I assume this guy is a pedophile given how much time he spends stalking teenagers online. It's disgusting. Can't believe that he hasn't been banned by twitter yet? These kids must get so much bs on their sites that it isn't even worth reporting him. Sad for all involved.

I am all for supporting your school, but this guy is seriously deranged.

"I have no interest in playing for Minnesota, but I'll keep them under token consideration to appease my friends and family."

"I'd say Minnesota is going to be a contender to the end," Ragnow said. "Distance doesn't really matter to me, but hometown is huge. My parents love that and it would be nice to play in front of my friends and family. Then, I love every single one of their coaches. They take time to get to know me and check up with me every day."

How pathetic...I assume this guy is a pedophile given how much time he spends stalking teenagers online. It's disgusting. Can't believe that he hasn't been banned by twitter yet? These kids must get so much bs on their sites that it isn't even worth reporting him. Sad for all involved.

I am all for supporting your school, but this guy is seriously deranged.

After reading your comments, I took a little peek at the guys' profile. What a disgusting human being he is...cussing out Gopher players and recruits and whatnot. What a sad, sad life he lives.

Connor Mayes tweet:

@PuppyloveMayes: I will be releasing my top 6 schools Friday at 7:00.

Go Gophers!!

We had our 15th and 16th junior....now rising senior....pick up offers today. Eden Prairie TE Zach Hovey (6'5 230) picked up an FBS offer from Florida Atlantic. Edina DE/LB Nick Mertes (6'3 220) picke up an FCS offer from Montana.

No one has said he has it all figured out but he is doing the same things Wisconsin and Iowa did to fix their messes. Will he be as successful ? I hope so but I also think it will be harder simply because they are better. But the program isn't the Amateur Hour anymore. No system changes every year, no annual coordinator changes , no more recruiting 5 players a year that can't get into school, no more two year gaps in recruiting o-linemen, no more recruiting H/S widereceivers that belong in D2, and everyone can run.
That is not Ohio S but it is not the bleeped up mess we were three years ago either.

The "amateur" hour crew was able to win 3 B1G games in years 2 and 3 and was competitive in all but one game in year 3. Year 4 was a disaster, but that was in part due to Brewster's seat being scorching hot. A lot of that crew is currently coaching at helmet schools and clearly are fairly well regarded within their profession.

The Big Ten performance of the team 3 years ago and the team last year was very similar. Both won 2 games, but were only really competitive in 3 conference games.

The "amateur" hour crew was able to win 3 B1G games in years 2 and 3 and was competitive in all but one game in year 3. Year 4 was a disaster, but that was in part due to Brewster's seat being scorching hot. A lot of that crew is currently coaching at helmet schools and clearly are fairly well regarded within their profession.

The Big Ten performance of the team 3 years ago and the team last year was very similar. Both won 2 games, but were only really competitive in 3 conference games.

So are you saying that the problem was then the head coach? If so I have to agree with you since we had a head coach who was here on a internship to learn how to be a head coach. That was not Brewster's fault but it was Maturi's.

It is impressive if you look back on the staff that Brewster was able to assemble here, however.

Everett Withers- moved on to success as a DC at UNC and Ohio State
Jedd Fisch- Not a Gopher favorite, but he's now an NFL offensive coordinator
Ted Roof- Has acquired something of a bad rap, but he has no problem finding work as a DC (Auburn, Penn State, Georgia Tech)
Thomas Hammock- Acquired something of a Benedict Arnold rep as well, but the man can recruit
George McDonald- Moved on to be a receivers coach at helment schools and the NFL, now an OC at Syracuse
Derek Lewis- Tight Ends coach at Florida
Tim Davis- Offensive Line at Florida
John Butler- Defensive Coordinator at Penn State

I mean, having eight guys from your staff get what most people would consider career promotions, especially coming out of the disaster that was Minnesota in the Brewster years? That's pretty damn impressive.

Brewster could attract good people he just couldn't keep them, it's the same song as with the recruits, he could attract them he couldn't keep them.

Brewster could attract good people he just couldn't keep them, it's the same song as with the recruits, he could attract them he couldn't keep them.
Or he didn't have a clue what to do with them once he got them.

Two more new offers out to Minnesota Preps. Looks to be a great hear for Tight Ends in this class. Wayzata's Brandon Lingen (6'5 240) picked up an offer from Air Force and Champlin Park's Matt Juneau (6'5 250) picked up an offer from North Dakota. Other Tight Ends with offers are East Ridge's George Behr (6'5 225) from Rutgers and Eden Prairie's Zach Hovey (6'5 230). Interesting to see the number of 6'5 Tight Ends! 18 Minnesota Preps picked have picked up D1 offers with these latest two offers.

http://www.gopherhole.com/page/show/758743-class-of-2014-minnesota-hs-football-recurits

Well said.

Connor Mayes tweet:

@PuppyloveMayes Top 6 schools in no order:Oklahoma TCU MINNESOTA TEXAS TECH KANSAS STATE BAYLOR

Go Gophers!!

Connor Mayes tweet:

@PuppyloveMayes Top 6 schools in no order:Oklahoma TCU MINNESOTA TEXAS TECH KANSAS STATE BAYLOR

Go Gophers!!

Not surprising that we made the cut but it's still encouraging. He has some nice offers close to home so it'd be one hell of a commit if Kill and his staff can get Connor.

Top Bottom