Official 2014 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

if we use your rankings of total points

and Northwestern is only signing 15 players this year, Coach Kill already said they will sign a full class, so MN will rank much higher in total points come signing day than Northwestern, and at 15 signings (if your right) Northwestern probably will be in the 50's or 60's in class ranking, although their */ratings will probably be higher. Have you followed recruiting before?

True but with only 2 solid recruits and 1 soft recruit(Jones), the Gopher's average means little. NU will sign about 15 recruits this year and they are 2/3s there. I hope the Gophers pick up some top tier players. But at this point that is not the impression I am getting. My point was every time I see a top recruit featured on Gopherillustrated he ends up signing with NU.

and Northwestern is only signing 15 players this year, Coach Kill already said they will sign a full class, so MN will rank much higher in total points come signing day than Northwestern, and at 15 signings (if your right) Northwestern probably will be in the 50's or 60's in class ranking, although their */ratings will probably be higher. Have you followed recruiting before?

I am afraid you misunderstood coach Kill when he talked about having a full class. What he was stating was that we presently do not have any open slots for scholarships for a walk-on. You might check out the link below to see what our present scholarship status is. Please Note: The number of scholarships available is a moving target because of transfers, academic causalities, medical problems etc.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/pages/football-scholarship-grid

Connor Mayes tweet: @puppylovemayes: Rocked some Tcu gear today!

Go Gophers!!

@joshhelmholdt: #Vandy #Bearcats #Louisville #Gophers among schools increasing their interest in 3star Illinois ATH Trent Sherfield

Go Gophers!!

Nice "free" update by Kyle Goblirsch on Gopher247 on our Top 15 recruits in the state. Great to see a bunch of BCS interest in our top players. Plus confirmed that East Ridge TE George Behr (6'5 235) picked up a BCS offer from Rutgers. He is our 6th player in the state to pick up a BCS offer and 12th player to pick up a D1 offer.

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Article/Minnesota-recruits-update-131258

Connor Mayes tweet: @PuppyloveMayes Texas Tech is coming by tomorrow!

Go Gophers!!

Connor Mayes tweet: @puppylovemayes: Coach Limegrover is coming by tomorrow also!! #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Nice "free" update by Kyle Goblirsch on Gopher247 on our Top 15 recruits in the state. Great to see a bunch of BCS interest in our top players. Plus confirmed that East Ridge TE George Behr (6'5 235) picked up a BCS offer from Rutgers. He is our 6th player in the state to pick up a BCS offer and 12th player to pick up a D1 offer.

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Article/Minnesota-recruits-update-131258

Kudos to Austin Noble from my hometown of Cannon Falls, MN! Austin's grandfather was my high school algebra and geometry teacher a long, long, looooooooooooong time ago.

I'll throw in my annual track and field update on several of these guys,
Honestly it's been a really tough spring for the track athletes, and as far as judging these guys' football ability I have no clue other than highlights, videos etc. but here's a few thoughts on some of the kids I've seen around this year.

Perra from Roseville is a nice looking athlete. I've seen him throw the shotput several times, but you can tell he's just an overall good athlete. Never seen him play football, but obviously the attention he's getting says he can throw it around a bit. Probably could play another position in football if he had to. TE/LB/DE?

Kai Barber is a really strong and thick kid. Intriguing for a FB, very powerful throwing the Shot and Disc.

I've seen Stelter throw several times, he should be the state champ in the Shot if he can get his technique to click a bit more. Seems like a really nice kid too, good teammate type.

Joe Stephens(2013) from Champlin has been the most impressive thrower I've seen this season, very strong and explosive. As a thrower, reminds me of current gopher Joe Bjorkland from Rosemount.

More to come if anyone stands out.

@badgernation1: Lafollette (WI.) safety Marcus Collins (@MCtheDream10) was visited by Minnesota today #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@badgernation1: Dawsonville (GA.) Atlanta Sports Academy junior wide receiver Jaron Locke (@Jaron_Quapo4) has been offered by #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

New Rivals250 for 2014 out today. Midwest just lacks top end talent. MN has 1 in Jeff Jones and IA has 1 too in Lazerd who is going to ISU and not the bathroom bangers, and the Dakotas and WI both have 0. Tough to compete for big time bowls when the players who will get ya there have to mostly come from outside the state and region.

Rose Bowl No Excuses.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...50/2014/map;_ylt=AkDd5eu8jE59AhRY_GsDku9GPZB4

STrib Q&A: From anxiety to fun for coveted Chanhassen lineman Frank Rognow

Q: When you thought of playing college football, what team did you picture yourself with?

A: I’ve always been more of an NFL fan, but I always like the Gophers, the Florida Gators, USC. I liked Texas when they had Vince Young.

Q: Recruiting websites have written a lot about you. You have a gift for making every team feel as if you’re leaning toward them. Is that by design or does it come naturally?

A: I just want to keep all of the coaches happy. Any school could be the one. I might love it after I visit. You never know.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/208400651.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Connor was just offered from Oklahoma, Im not feeling as confident in his commitment anymore.

Did I miss something? When did Connor commit here? I know Alex has signed for the upcoming freshman class, but didn't hear anything about Connor....or did you just mean you are not as confident that he will eventually sign here>

Did I miss something? When did Connor commit here? I know Alex has signed for the upcoming freshman class, but didn't hear anything about Connor....or did you just mean you are not as confident that he will eventually sign here>

No he never committed but I felt it was almost a guarantee. I still think MN has an edge over other teams since they've recruited him for so long and his brother goes here, but as the offers stack up Im losing confidence.

No he never committed but I felt it was almost a guarantee.
It wasn't. Even Alex, after trumping up the Gophers constantly over a matter of months, almost switched his commitment last minute to Baylor. Only the helmet schools can really lay claim to ever being close to a guarantee this early, and I'm not sure that's even true.

This conversation seems to come up constantly regarding recruits and nothing ever seems to change in terms of fan expectations.

per Shama:

U RB Target Likes Iowa State

Washburn High School four-star running back Jeff Jones is still verbally committed to the Gophers but there is no guarantee yet he will play for Minnesota, and Iowa State is a school of interest, too, according to Millers’ coach Giovan Jenkins.

“I would consider it a soft verbal,” Jenkins said about the Gophers. “He (Jones) went to coach Kill and told him he committed too early.”

The Washburn junior first verbally committed to Minnesota coach Jerry Kill last year but since then realized he wants more time to decide on the college he will enroll at next year. Jenkins told Sports Headliners on Saturday that Jeff’s father is “getting out of jail” and wants to be part of the recruiting process, so that is also a factor.

Jenkins believes Iowa State is a “soft” No. 2 behind the Gophers on the list of possible choices. “He likes the staff and proximity (of Ames) to Minneapolis,” Jenkins said.

In addition to Minnesota and Iowa State, Jones has offers from Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan State, Syracuse and Wisconsin. Although Wisconsin has a great tradition of running backs, Jenkins believes Jones is likely to choose Minnesota if he decides on a Big Ten school.

Rivals.com labels Jones a four-star prospect and ranks him No. 17 among running backs in the class of 2014. Jenkins said Jones is a “once-in-a lifetime talent.”

The 6-foot, 190 pound prep is the first four-star running back to commit to Kill since he started coaching at Minnesota in 2011.

Jenkins described Jones as “big, strong, (with) excellent vision, great burst, very explosive — kind of a one-stop shop.” But the coach said Jones has to determine how close he will come to fulfilling his potential. If the desire and hard work are present, Jenkins projects Jones as a 220 pound runner in college. “If he works hard, he could be the best at that level, too,” Jenkins said.

Jones has been a starter for Washburn since ninth grade and a major contributor to the Millers’ success. In today’s world of transfers, Jones has been a target of other high schools. “He gets approached every year,” Jenkins said.

Jones lives in the Washburn district and likes playing for the Millers. He heard from former Miller David Gilreath that he regretted leaving Washburn for Robbinsdale Armstrong, according to Jenkins. Gilreath is now in the NFL with the Steelers after a college career at Wisconsin.

“Everything he’s got (Jones), he’s got from Washburn,” Jenkins said. “He is a loyal kid.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

U RB Target Likes Iowa State

Washburn High School four-star running back Jeff Jones is still verbally committed to the Gophers but there is no guarantee yet he will play for Minnesota, and Iowa State is a school of interest, too, according to Millers’ coach Giovan Jenkins.

“I would consider it a soft verbal,” Jenkins said about the Gophers. “He (Jones) went to coach Kill and told him he committed too early.”

The Washburn junior first verbally committed to Minnesota coach Jerry Kill last year but since then realized he wants more time to decide on the college he will enroll at next year. Jenkins told Sports Headliners on Saturday that Jeff’s father is “getting out of jail” and wants to be part of the recruiting process, so that is also a factor.

Jenkins believes Iowa State is a “soft” No. 2 behind the Gophers on the list of possible choices. “He likes the staff and proximity (of Ames) to Minneapolis,” Jenkins said.

In addition to Minnesota and Iowa State, Jones has offers from Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan State, Syracuse and Wisconsin. Although Wisconsin has a great tradition of running backs, Jenkins believes Jones is likely to choose Minnesota if he decides on a Big Ten school.

Rivals.com labels Jones a four-star prospect and ranks him No. 17 among running backs in the class of 2014. Jenkins said Jones is a “once-in-a lifetime talent.”

The 6-foot, 190 pound prep is the first four-star running back to commit to Kill since he started coaching at Minnesota in 2011.

Jenkins described Jones as “big, strong, (with) excellent vision, great burst, very explosive — kind of a one-stop shop.” But the coach said Jones has to determine how close he will come to fulfilling his potential. If the desire and hard work are present, Jenkins projects Jones as a 220 pound runner in college. “If he works hard, he could be the best at that level, too,” Jenkins said.

Jones has been a starter for Washburn since ninth grade and a major contributor to the Millers’ success. In today’s world of transfers, Jones has been a target of other high schools. “He gets approached every year,” Jenkins said.

Jones lives in the Washburn district and likes playing for the Millers. He heard from former Miller David Gilreath that he regretted leaving Washburn for Robbinsdale Armstrong, according to Jenkins. Gilreath is now in the NFL with the Steelers after a college career at Wisconsin.

“Everything he’s got (Jones), he’s got from Washburn,” Jenkins said. “He is a loyal kid.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Oh no, another father that wants to be part of the process. I don't know anything on Jeff's past but this reminds me of another high profile, local recruit.

@ms7__era: Minnesota coming by tomorrow #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@K_Gant7: 16TH offer from minnesota #GOPHERS

Go Gophers!!

Oh no, another father that wants to be part of the process. I don't know anything on Jeff's past but this reminds me of another high profile, local recruit.

Things have gone well for him, haven't they?:rolleyes:

Top Bottom