Official 2012 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

Bob....You just like to type fodder don't you? Nobody can say the Gophers are in trouble at RB after watching just 90 minutes of fall practice - that's asinine!

I really don't know what you mean by I like to type "fodder". I've never heard the word used like that (I'm not correcting you, but I don't know how to respond to that accusation).

He said he only watched 90 minutes and he admitted that it might not be worth a whole lot, so what's the big deal about him coming on here and giving his opinion?

Why did it only bother you that he thought the running game would have troubles but it didn't bother you that he thought McDonald and Fruechte looked good? It was the same 90 minutes.

Tweet from Marcus:

"WRs impressive again for third straight practice, especially Isaac Fruechte. Gophers DBs can't handle him on deep balls. He's too fast."

Go Gophers!!

Tweet from Marcus:

"WRs impressive again for third straight practice, especially Isaac Fruechte. Gophers DBs can't handle him on deep balls. He's too fast."

Go Gophers!!

Not sure if really good news, or really bad news.

"@NSandell: Today was #Gophers Day 3 of camp. Plan is for first full padded practice Thurs afternoon of first two-a-day session. Scrimmage Friday."

also from Sandell: "Josh Campion continues to get a heavy number of reps at 1st team right tackle. Hasn't shown any lingering concussion symptoms #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

chipscoggins ‏@chipscoggins

MarQueis Gray looks more comfortable running offense but again, it's hard to guage things completely until they put on full pads.
Expand

3m chipscoggins chipscoggins ‏@chipscoggins

Freshman WR Andre McDonald has good size but heard lot of buzz from insiders on true freshman WR Jamel Harbison. Team really high on him.
Expand

6m chipscoggins chipscoggins ‏@chipscoggins

Gophers haven't put on full pads so can't read too much into anything but O-line is starting to at least look like legitimate Big Ten line .

"@GophersNow: #Gophers OC Matt Limegrover said the receivers have made more big plays down the field in three practices than all of fall camp last year."

Go Gophers!!

Not sure if really good news, or really bad news.

i was thinking the exact same thing. (i was going to make some smart ass comment like: "if only we could find some scientific evidence to refute dpodoll's rock solid logic that white kids from outstate mn can't run fast." but i decided to pass it over)

I noticed in this video that there are no pink and brown jerseys. Either they aren't using them this year, the problem children aren't practicing, or everyone is on their best behavior. Thoughts or insight from the people who went to practices?

I noticed in this video that there are no pink and brown jerseys. Either they aren't using them this year, the problem children aren't practicing, or everyone is on their best behavior. Thoughts or insight from the people who went to practices?

I've been to both Sunday's practice and also this afternoons, didn't see any Lopher shirts either time. I'm not sure if this is something they are still doing or not though.

I've been to both Sunday's practice and also this afternoons, didn't see any Lopher shirts either time. I'm not sure if this is something they are still doing or not though.

This could be the next phase of Jerry Kill's plan. Find out who's on the bus last year through discipline and public humiliation, and now this year build team continuity and solidarity though key phrases like Uncommon and Ski U Mah and that other Swedish phrase I can't remember. :)
This team is going to be exciting to see on August 30th.

FSN: Gophers' LBs ready for opportunity ahead

"It's my last go-around. You never know if this is my last season playing football or not. I'm just basically giving it my all," Cooper said. "This whole team has dedicated the season to GT. That's our mindset. We don't know what the future holds. All we're worrying about is the now, just working as hard as we can right now and everything will work itself out."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/08/06...nding_gophers.html?blockID=771939&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Chip Scoggins: U's Hageman knows it's time to tap potential

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/165212246.html

"It's on me now," he said. "I take full responsibility for what happens to me."

"His upside is tremendously high," Claeys said. "You don't find very many kids [with his size and athleticism]. They make a lot of money in the NFL because it's hard to find those guys. We're very fortunate to have him. He has a great attitude and as long as he continues to work hard, he's going to see the benefits."

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers football: Passing game has the speed to go vertical this season

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21251222/gophers-football-passing-game-has-speed-go-vertical

Isaac Fruechte and Devin Crawford-Tufts have proven through the University of Minnesota's first three fall practices that they're not just about speed. They could be the vertical threats to take the pressure off quarterback MarQueis Gray running the football.

"We've completed probably more deep balls in three days than we did during camp last year," Gophers offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover said Monday, Aug. 6, about his two sophomore receivers. "Last year we kind of threw (the ball) up and we kind of held our breath. I think as a group on our side of the ball now, everybody's thinking when that ball goes up, it's ours."

Go Gophers!!

Marcus Fuller: "One of my favorite players to watch Monday was freshman running back K.J. Maye. He was doing his best to mimic Barry Sanders out there practicing with the other freshmen. The defense had such a hard time getting in front of him and making contact to signal him down. There might not be a player on Minnesota’s roster with as many juke and spin moves as Maye. His quickness and ability to stop and change direction in a hurry makes me wonder what he could do for this offense if given the ball in the open field this year."

Great to hear about KJ.
Sometimes these High School QB's kind of fall through the cracks.

Tweets from today:

Marcus: "Freshman KJ Maye doesn't have a position yet. But he got lot more reps at RB, WR and kick return today. He is an explosive player. #Gophers"

Doogie: "After watching 2 days of #Gophers practice, there's just about no chance WRs Andre McDonald or Jamel Harbison redshirt. They'll play plenty."

jgkfan: "Talked to Kill after practice, told me freshman QB Mitch Leidner has really stood out on film through the first 3 days #gophers"

jgkfan: "Newcomer KJ Maye seems to be getting more looks, Kill also mentioned him as a guy that's standing out. #gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Great to hear about KJ.
Sometimes these High School QB's kind of fall through the cracks.

And sometimes small converted QBs look great running around with light pads for a few days before the hitting starts. Maye has to learn the RB position and while by all accounts he's quick and a little bigger than most thought, my guess is he still has a long way to go to see the field

And sometimes small converted QBs look great running around with light pads for a few days before the hitting starts. Maye has to learn the RB position and while by all accounts he's quick and a little bigger than most thought, my guess is he still has a long way to go to see the field

Does the sun ever come out in your world? LOL

I agree with your point about these smallish/shifty players excelling before it gets too physical, however, I don't know how much he has to learn the RB position any more than most players. With his offense in HS, he ran the ball all the time (like a RB). I don't know how much different getting the ball snapped to you and running out of a single wing (his HS offense) is to being stacked next to a QB and getting the ball handed to you out of the shotgun. I'm not saying he doesn't need to learn the position, but I don't think his learning curve for RB should be much different than a HS RB.

I think where his workload could be difficult is in learning multiple positions. It sounds like they like the idea of him becoming a part time RB, part time slot, and returner. That is quite a bit for a FR to learn. That said, I wouldn't expect to have to wait too long to see him play. It'll either be this year or next.

I think there is a decent chance we see him this year. Our best returners are returning from injuries (Jones and Stoud), we are not deep with playmakers, the RB position isn't exceptionally deep (Kirkwood and Cobb coming off injuries, Gillum is a bit of a question mark, Williams is a FR, Wright had 1 carry). He could provide some nice depth this season and be our kickreturner (I hope he RS, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion).

Nate Sandell:

"Kill on Carter: "I think he’s figured out that you’re going to have to do it (my) way... I’m proud of him to this point. " #Gophers"

"#Gophers still trying a slew of guys on kick & punt returns. No set rotation yet, though its likely Stoudermire will start the year on KR."

Go Gophers!!

ESPN Big Ten position rankings: LB (units)

10. Minnesota: The Gophers' defense wasn't very good last year, but the linebackers might have been the highlight. It's one of the few units with considerable experience this year, led by seniors Mike Rallis and Keanon Cooper. Former Florida transfer Brendan Beal will try to make an impact after being hurt last year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/54930/big-ten-position-rankings-lb-units

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom