Official 2011 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

Thank you Halsey.

The star of the day in my mind was Edwards. He ran with great power, balance, desire, toughness and speed. He was really tough to tackle although Tinsley did level him once.

Tracy Claeys seems like a ghost. where is he?

From what I have seen he is much more laid back in his coaching. Limegrover seems to have the personality of a DC and Claeys of an OC. I think Claeys has the HC qualities for the future though.

“Any starting quarterback … nobody’s job is safe,” Gray said. “I can mess up one game and Coach Kill might feel a certain way and put (freshman) Max (Shortell) in. I have to train every day and come out and compete every day like it’s my last time playing. Competing makes everyone better.”

This along with other quotes from today's media makes it look like Shortell has taken control of the #2 spot at QB.

This along with other quotes from today's media makes it look like Shortell has taken control of the #2 spot at QB.

Based upon what I saw yesterday, he has definately taken over the #2 spot. Although it's very early into fall camp, he seems to be much more mature with his control of the offense than a normal freshman. Another true freshman who stood out to me was Tommy Olson. Truly a man among boys in the freshman class.

GopherSports looks at all the quarterbacks... Kill's right - numbers can be deceiving. We have like 5 QBs in camp, but is anyone really a good backup candidate? What about Dexter Foreman - he seems like a solid athlete at least. In practice I saw Parish get a lot of snaps as well.

GopherSports looks at all the quarterbacks... Kill's right - numbers can be deceiving. We have like 5 QBs in camp, but is anyone really a good backup candidate? What about Dexter Foreman - he seems like a solid athlete at least. In practice I saw Parish get a lot of snaps as well.

Yes, Shortell is a good backup candidate. He's also good to have in camp because his throwing motion is so sound technically & his arm so powerful that Gray will have to step up his passing to avoid being the second best arm in practice every day. Foreman is about 6'1" & (just my opinion) not in the plans as a full time QB, but should see immediate playing time as a Wildcat QB.

Unless they completely crash and burn, our kickers are Hawthorne and Orseske. Stoudermire is pegged at PR with M. Jones and Moulton is the mix:

see #10

Sports-Huddle-Coach-Kill-8-7-11

Agree on Orseske, not penciling in Hawthorne just yet though.

"Hawthorne impressive with first FG of camp

Posted by: Phil Miller

You don't often hear a crowd at football practice erupt into applause, but it happened Tuesday. The Gophers were winding up their second workout of the spring with a two-minute drill, and the offense stalled inside the 40, so the field-goal team came on.

What happened next hasn't occured in a Gophers game since 2007: Kicker Chris Hawthorne drilled a 54-yard field goal right down the middle, with another 5-10 yards of distance for good measure. Perhaps because the Gophers made only two kicks of longer than 40 yards last season, the 100-plus spectators couldn't contain themselves, cheering Hawthorne as the ball went through the uprights.

It's not game conditions, of course, and there was a breeze that may have added a yard or two to the kick. It's pretty meaningless, in other words. Still, even coach Jerry Kill noted that kick after practice as one of the good things his team had accomplished.

Hawthorne transferred to Minnesota from N.C. State in January.

By the way, Minnesota kickers have made six kicks from that distance or longer in school history, the last coming from Joel Monroe, a 54-yarder against Iowa in 2007. The school record is a 62-yard boot by Chip Lohmiller, also against Iowa, in 1986, the longest indoor college field goal in NCAA history."

I think we're going to be OK...

One thing that sounds good coming out of camp is that it appears that some of our key positions are getting good competition. I knew that WR and backup RB would be competitive positions, but I am glad that competition sounds like it's not just about who is the "least worst".

One day we hear about Kiese, the next day Moulton. It makes me less worried about our WR position (similarily to our RB position with Edwards, Kirkwood and Wright).

P.S. I love the Olson boys. They are just as tough as it gets. I sometimes forget that Tommy is a true freshman (probably because he has been signed for so long and it was kind of a given). They are just everything you'd want in offensive lineman. I wish their parents would have have a couple 13..14 more boys.

A few tid-bits in Phil Miller's most recent blog:

"The Gophers' fourth practice is today at 3:55 p.m., and is open to the public.
So far, the practices are mostly about fundamentals, which is to be expected given all the freshmen in uniform. Kill and defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys have been spending the majority of their time testing the newcomers, trying to determine which ones can play this year, and which ones will redshirt. I'm sure they appreciate all the attention, since they won't get much once it's time to install the gameplan for USC. But there's a flip side to it, too -- Kill was in freshman quarterback Dexter Foreman's face during one drill, after the QB repeated a mistake.
Kill also entertained the crowd of onlookers with his assessment of a couple of linemen who didn't impress him with their effort during a one-on-one drill: "That is soft! Both of you -- soft! Go get an ice cream cone!"
The intensity seemed ratcheted up yesterday, particularly on the part of the coaches. I'm guessing they saw lots they didn't like on Tuesday's film, and made sure the players knew it Wednesday. The intensity was so high, I had to laugh at the surprise on the part of the players when Kill gave them a momentary break. At the end of a special-teams drill, after working the players hard on one kickoff return after another, Kill told his players to go drink some water. Take off your helmets, walk to the sidelines, go get a drink, he said.
Kim Royston was shocked. "We can walk? Really?" he said.
Yep. Expectations are so high, it's a shock when they are let down, even for a moment."

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/52614027.html

Go Gophers!!

"Kim Royston was shocked. "We can walk? Really?" he said.
Yep. Expectations are so high, it's a shock when they are let down, even for a moment."

That speaks volumes to me.

From an earlier Marcus Blog I found this:
[Redshirt freshman Donnell Kirkwood appeared to get banged up early in practice. He mostly stood and watch during team drills the rest of the way. Kill won’t announce an injury list until Thursday, so there’ s no official word on his condition.

– Kirkwood’s injury meant more carries for redshirt freshman Lamonte Edwards. The former Woodbury High School star showed glimpses of why he could be a productive power runner once he adds more size. Problem is he always runs straight up and down the field without changing direction. Since he’s almost 6-foot-2, Edwards doesn’t get very low to the ground, so he’s a bigger target. That doesn’t matter much if you’re a truck like former Wisconsin running back John Clay, who weighs 250 pounds. But Edwards is only about 210. He won’t be able to steam roll over many linebackers yet.

– There’s a lot to like about freshman Devon Wright. He’s got a great body for a tailback at 6-foot, 195 pounds. Unlike Edwards, Wright tries to shake defenders with an array of jukes and spin moves. He also has some pretty good speed. Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover got on Wright’s case Tuesday for not finishing a couple plays. But he got the message pretty quickly.

/QUOTE]

First Lamonte was 210 in High School. He has been in the program for a year with Coach Klien. Second, with one side of his blog he discounts Lamonte's straight line running. In other schools it one cut and go. Its running down hill. It was what great backs do. Upright? See Eric Dickerson, Adrian Peterson, Eddie George.

While with the other side of his blog he praises Wright for his jukes, ability to make people miss. That is what drives coaches crazy. Dancing in the hole. He goes on to state at 6' 195 he is the perfect size as a tailback, while 6'2 and lets say 220 is not?

Come on Marcus, just tell like it is. If Halsey is correct, Lamonte is the answer in the third and fourth quarter with the lead.

From an earlier Marcus Blog I found this:
[Redshirt freshman Donnell Kirkwood appeared to get banged up early in practice. He mostly stood and watch during team drills the rest of the way. Kill won’t announce an injury list until Thursday, so there’ s no official word on his condition.

– Kirkwood’s injury meant more carries for redshirt freshman Lamonte Edwards. The former Woodbury High School star showed glimpses of why he could be a productive power runner once he adds more size. Problem is he always runs straight up and down the field without changing direction. Since he’s almost 6-foot-2, Edwards doesn’t get very low to the ground, so he’s a bigger target. That doesn’t matter much if you’re a truck like former Wisconsin running back John Clay, who weighs 250 pounds. But Edwards is only about 210. He won’t be able to steam roll over many linebackers yet.

– There’s a lot to like about freshman Devon Wright. He’s got a great body for a tailback at 6-foot, 195 pounds. Unlike Edwards, Wright tries to shake defenders with an array of jukes and spin moves. He also has some pretty good speed. Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover got on Wright’s case Tuesday for not finishing a couple plays. But he got the message pretty quickly.

/QUOTE]

First Lamonte was 210 in High School. He has been in the program for a year with Coach Klien. Second, with one side of his blog he discounts Lamonte's straight line running. In other schools it one cut and go. Its running down hill. It was what great backs do. Upright? See Eric Dickerson, Adrian Peterson, Eddie George.

While with the other side of his blog he praises Wright for his jukes, ability to make people miss. That is what drives coaches crazy. Dancing in the hole. He goes on to state at 6' 195 he is the perfect size as a tailback, while 6'2 and lets say 220 is not?

Come on Marcus, just tell like it is. If Halsey is correct, Lamonte is the answer in the third and fourth quarter with the lead.

Did Marcus wrong you when you were a kid?

I saw Lamonte in High School and was at a practice this week, I agree with many on this board that he can be a real sleeper. I seem him as the "grind out the clock" kind of back who can help pass protect late in a game. Lets just hope we have games when those types of traits are needed.

From Sid:

"Big victory

Senior wide receiver Da'Jon McKnight said the Gophers' victories against Illinois and Iowa to end last season were big, adding: "We're going to go in and make sure that we have that momentum against USC to get a win."

McKnight said he didn't care what the predictions are about the Gophers finishing last in the Big Ten. "I don't care what they think. I don't really care," McKnight said.

McKnight had 48 catches for 750 yards and 10 touchdowns last season, all Gophers highs. He had been bothered by a knee injury but said he should be ready for the season. That's good, because the Gophers need him to be healthy."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/127565273.html

Go Gophers!!

Background?

After watching practice a couple days I'm curious about a couple guys on the roster. Is Luke Trucilla a scholarship guy? Was he highly rated?

I know Drew Goodger is a scholarship guy. He is a 6'5" 250 pound TE but seemed very immobile and awkward if he's healthy? And as a tight end possession is a component...catching the ball was not a strength. Anybody familiar with him?

Sahr Ngekia another similar to Goodger big tight end from Holy Angels. Is he on scholarship?

Last year there was talk how hard JD Pride worked. I didn't see that at wide receiver. Unfortunately catching the ball again is a weakness in my observations.

I think Devin Crawford Tufts is going to be really good at some point. He catches the ball! He has such grace, acceleration and speed. Fun to watch him run and catch.

Lamonte Edwards runs hard. It's hard to tell when they are not tackling people but he looks to be the clear #2 before they start tackling. Is Kirkwood a guy who will just always be hurt? Wright certainly appears to be in the mix.

Foreman looked to be given third team reps when I was there. Alipate was a ghost to the coaches.

We have 14 to 16 big time contributors in the senior class of 20 guys. I wasn't aware that many seniors were such solid essential factors on the team.

I could be off but I think we have 30 new freshmen in the 105 plus 6 other new performers for a total of 36 new guys?

My impression was we look pretty good two deep on both sides of the ball.
But Gray, Bennett, McKnight and Lair are pretty significant to offensive success. Stoudermire for defense and returns is critical. I didn't watch defense as much but Rallis seems to run things and be in the right place all the time. He makes plays. Don't think we can replace any of those guys.

I agree with everbody Tommy Olson looks impressive. Somebody else who got raves was one of the McAvoys especially. Both were solid I think.

Quick observations from Thursday:

1. Lamonte and Wright saw a lot of carries. Both were smooth runners. Edwards will be the power back.
2. Moses never threw the ball once. Not in drills, not in scrimmages. Never took a snap.
3. Hageman looked slow and weak.
4. Tommy Olson and Campion showed the most desire on the line.
5. Hawthorne was kicking to return team. Kicked off from the 50 and with a one step, half swing approach dropped the ball on the 5. Every time.
6. Our punt block team will make some plays this year.
7. Crawford-Tufts has a second gear. And a third gear.
8. Rabe is big and has soft hands. Lair caught everything thrown his way.
9. McKnight is very smooth.
10. Shortell is the clear #2. Foreman is very good at rolling left the throwing right-handed. This will come in handy.
11. Amaefula kicked arse on the one-on-ones.

If they want me to kick the ball, I'm down with that. Come on Anthony, have a great season!

Anyone know why the O-linemen have white tape on the back of their helmets? Something to watch on tape where their heads are looking?

Several camp nuggets (I'm surprised no one has posted these, honestly):

Phil Miller: "But biggest impression: Gary Tinsley is everywhere. Seemed like the starting MLB was in on half the day's tackles."

Nate Sandell: "RB Donnell Kirkwood and WR A.J. Barker both out with hamstring tweaks. Barker said he aims to be back mid-next week"

Marcus Fuller: "Freshman Michael Amaefula got some first team reps at leftside DE after Garin left practice with an injury. He's got some potential."

I also saw somewhere earlier (can't remember where, sorry) that, along with Garin, Rabe was also injured in Thursday's practice. It's not known how serious either injury is at this time.

Thanks for the camp update. Solid.

After watching practice a couple days I'm curious about a couple guys on the roster. Is Luke Trucilla a scholarship guy? Was he highly rated?

I know Drew Goodger is a scholarship guy. He is a 6'5" 250 pound TE but seemed very immobile and awkward if he's healthy? And as a tight end possession is a component...catching the ball was not a strength. Anybody familiar with him?

Sahr Ngekia another similar to Goodger big tight end from Holy Angels. Is he on scholarship?

Last year there was talk how hard JD Pride worked. I didn't see that at wide receiver. Unfortunately catching the ball again is a weakness in my observations.

I think Devin Crawford Tufts is going to be really good at some point. He catches the ball! He has such grace, acceleration and speed. Fun to watch him run and catch.

Lamonte Edwards runs hard. It's hard to tell when they are not tackling people but he looks to be the clear #2 before they start tackling. Is Kirkwood a guy who will just always be hurt? Wright certainly appears to be in the mix.

Foreman looked to be given third team reps when I was there. Alipate was a ghost to the coaches.

We have 14 to 16 big time contributors in the senior class of 20 guys. I wasn't aware that many seniors were such solid essential factors on the team.

I could be off but I think we have 30 new freshmen in the 105 plus 6 other new performers for a total of 36 new guys?

My impression was we look pretty good two deep on both sides of the ball.
But Gray, Bennett, McKnight and Lair are pretty significant to offensive success. Stoudermire for defense and returns is critical. I didn't watch defense as much but Rallis seems to run things and be in the right place all the time. He makes plays. Don't think we can replace any of those guys.

I agree with everbody Tommy Olson looks impressive. Somebody else who got raves was one of the McAvoys especially. Both were solid I think.

http://www.twincities.com/gophersfootball/ci_18666078

Growing up and watching these guys play together, it's awesome that they have become so successful after great careers at Mahtomedi. Although I would love if Tommy and Ed played together this season, I really just do not want to waste his red-shirt year no matter what. He could be an absolute monster for four years while seemingly sitting out during this "transition" year for the team and coaches.

Top Bottom