Official 2011 Gopher Fall Camp Thread: Updates, Analysis, Links, etc.

People were wondering who would be gone?

Among #Minnesota #Gopher players not part of the Fall Camp 105 are Ragoo, Singleton, Brandon, Klitzke and Glickstein.

I sure hope Shortell is redshirted... No way do I want a year of his eligibility used up just so he can be a backup.

People were wondering who would be gone?

Among #Minnesota #Gopher players not part of the Fall Camp 105 are Ragoo, Singleton, Brandon, Klitzke and Glickstein.

That only means they are not part of the allowed 105.

also...

Brooks is out because of problems with concussion per retweet from marcus.

If not signed up for his twitter feed...I recommend it.

GM

Per Marcus's twitter:
Not much news from first day of fall camp. But offensive lineman Brooks Michel is out for yr with a concussion. He will redshirt.

Agree on Orseske, not penciling in Hawthorne just yet though.

I had heard some stuff about Michel's concussion last spring. Seems to go back to last season. It's too bad, but it might be too much for him to overcome.

Hawthorne is our only scholarship placekicker, recruited by and scholarship awarded by Kill. Kickoff after kickoff inside the 5 or deeper, even into the wind. 50+ FG range. Wettstein and Schwerman have not shown range nor accuracy since they arrived. Platner is a true freshman. It's Hawthorne's job to lose. He's as close to a super kicker as we've had in a while...

not alot to say about first day, no pads and alot of new guys taking the field for there first practice, music playing during practice, some rap and rock, Gray looks so much more comfortable and in charge, Alipate the next most impressive qb, some really strong throws, shortell looked promising, foreman not so much, still don't see anything positive in Parrish, Edwards looked great at RB, WR #1 I thought was pretty impressive, believe that would be Green but i didn't have a roster, not alot of judgements to be made until they put pads on.

I sure hope Shortell is redshirted... No way do I want a year of his eligibility used up just so he can be a backup.
I believe that Kill played 2 QB's at Northern Illinois, I'm guessing the back up would get quite a few more snaps that MarQueis got last year under Brewster. I wouldn't be opposed to Shortell as back up if he proves he belongs. If Gray runs as much as I think he will he may also be susceptible to injury.

not alot to say about first day, no pads and alot of new guys taking the field for there first practice, music playing during practice, some rap and rock, Gray looks so much more comfortable and in charge, Alipate the next most impressive qb, some really strong throws, shortell looked promising, foreman not so much, still don't see anything positive in Parrish, Edwards looked great at RB, WR #1 I thought was pretty impressive, believe that would be Green but i didn't have a roster, not alot of judgements to be made until they put pads on.

Appreciate the observations, Johnny. I know you can't take a lot away from one practice, but it lets you see day by day who is doing well and see if any consistency is emerging in players. #1 is Brandon Green, btw. Did any defensive players stand out to you, or did you not watch them/not know their names?

Went to Day 1 Practice

Parked right next to Seibert - had no problem at all. Stayed for about 45 minutes. You don't really get a lot from those first couple of practices (both as players and fans), but I'll share some things of note.

-Pacing seemed to be a key point for Kill and staff. Get players from one drill to the next as quickly as possible and treat every drill with the same amount of enthusiasm. Seemed quite efficient. I think Kill has previous Head Coaching experience - so that's a plus.

-Quarterbacks - Gray is the biggest, strongest and has the best footwork. He's got a very quick release, but lacks some zip on his balls. But that hopefully won't matter, as long as he's delivering on time. Dexter Foreman was probably the second most consistent thrower. Looked older than a frosh - wouldn't be surprised if he's our no. 2. Didn't see a whole lot of Shortell, but it seems like the other players and coaching staff like him - tons of high fives going his way (get luckier). Alipate had some of the prettiest throws of all the QB's. He's got a big boy, up high release and that ball just snaps out of his hand. Big arm can throw the out-route and the deep ball. He also owned some of the worst throws of all the QB's (hmmm, I wonder if being overweight has anything to do with consistency?). Didn't think Parish looked all that great. Doesn't really have a fluid drop or throwing motion. Lueck will likely continue to help relay plays from the sideline to the field. The kid has a real knack for that.

-WR's: Who the hell are all these guys? True to what I've been hearing, there is something about this Marcus Jones kid. Before I knew which one he was, I took note of him during punt returning drills - QUICK, very quick. I bet they'll put him back there right away on punt returns, maybe at WR too. He's another kid who just looked like he knew where he was going, what he was doing etc..A bunch of the other freshman had the head on a swivel thing going. The coaches seemed to be getting on AJ Barker a ton. Not necessarily in a bad way, but just constant chirping towards him. I actually think he looks pretty good out there from time to time. Runs some really fluid routes and seems to have good body control. But how many butterflies will there be in his tummy on Saturdays? And my man Victor looks pretty good out there. It's tough to tell how fast a guy is when he's running routes all by himself, but if he's got any speed, he could be alright.

-Other predictions from my 45 minute sample size: James Manuel is on one of the post season all-big ten teams. Kid is huge and runs really well. Kirkwood leads the RB's in rushing yards. I wouldn't want to try and tackle him. And lastly, the team re-signs JewJew Party right before the first game and hilarity ensues. It's gonna be like one of those summer camp movies from the 80's. Except this time, the rich kid camp wins the final showdown.

Thanks for the recaps JohnnyGopher and KoolAid - very helpful and appreciated.

Go Gophers!!

McKnight on Injury:
Q on Leadership:
Coah Kill:
Thanks to @ZachJohnsonGI

I love being able to embed video!!!

Phil Miller blog: On Day 1, Shortell works with Gray, Parish

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/52614027.html

Go Gophers!!

"Too early to draw any conclusions, of course, but that delineation consigned freshman Dexter Foreman, junior Adam Lueck and sophomore Moses Alipate to a separate huddle. And after practice ended, Alipate, the strong-armed QB from Bloomington Jefferson, worked on catching passes from Parish, lining up wide and running 10-yard outs."

Interesting. Too early to tell is right, though.

Edit: Good move mods, changing the title. Way cleaner. Also can a brotha get a sticky?

I believe that Kill played 2 QB's at Northern Illinois, I'm guessing the back up would get quite a few more snaps that MarQueis got last year under Brewster. I wouldn't be opposed to Shortell as back up if he proves he belongs. If Gray runs as much as I think he will he may also be susceptible to injury.

Sure seems like it might end up 1) Gray then 2a) Shortell, with 2b) Foreman as the wildcat QB for 5-10 snaps a game.

Johnny, more on this
Edwards looked great at RB
. What did he show? Quickness, Speed, Size, Strength, abilty to speed cut, 5th gear?

I'm pretty sure it's just spelled "Duane." No need for the apostrophe, PiPress.

Someone Didn't read...

BS: On your Twitter account, your first name is spelled Du'ane. Everywhere else, it's Duane. So what is it - Du'ane or Duane?

DB: It's Du'ane.

BS: Has it always been that way and nobody knew?

DB: It's always been. I didn't use it initially when I was spelling my name. I always left out the apostrophe. But then I looked at my birth certificate and it had the apostrophe in there. I started incorporating it. I use it more now. It's something I'm getting more accustomed to, and I'm writing my name like that. When I was growing up, I didn't use the apostrophe.

BS: The apostrophe would explain why you pronounce your first name Do-Ahn, and not Dwayne. Are you going to make sure everyone gets it right this year?

DB: (Laughs.) Most definitely. It's the last year, so I have to let people know.

Someone Didn't read...

BS: On your Twitter account, your first name is spelled Du'ane. Everywhere else, it's Duane. So what is it - Du'ane or Duane?

DB: It's Du'ane.

BS: Has it always been that way and nobody knew?

DB: It's always been. I didn't use it initially when I was spelling my name. I always left out the apostrophe. But then I looked at my birth certificate and it had the apostrophe in there. I started incorporating it. I use it more now. It's something I'm getting more accustomed to, and I'm writing my name like that. When I was growing up, I didn't use the apostrophe.

BS: The apostrophe would explain why you pronounce your first name Do-Ahn, and not Dwayne. Are you going to make sure everyone gets it right this year?

DB: (Laughs.) Most definitely. It's the last year, so I have to let people know.

Comprehension fail. Thanks.

Need the apostrophe, Gophersports :)

Top Bottom