Offensive coordinator update

as I said on another thread -

typically, when a team brings in a new OC from outside the system, that OC brings in his own offensive system.

look - this is NOT a Fleck-bashing post - but simply an observation.

I do not think Fleck would bring in an outside OC and let him install a whole new offense.

Fleck is the Head Coach, and he has a lot of control/say over the offensive system - maybe not calling specific plays, but it's clear he has a strong idea of how he wants the offense to function.

so if the choice is between an outside OC - or promoting coaches from within who know Fleck and are familiar with his philosophy and desires - then I think it shouldn't be a surprise that the Gophs promoted from within.

bottom line - if anyone was expected a radically different offense next year, you're going to be disappointed.

I honestly think the "what Fleck wants to run offensively" thing gets a LITTLE overblown, like he is somehow overly heavy-handed when it comes to how he allows the OC to run the offense.

Fleck wants to win, and like any coach, he and the OC are going to tailor the offense and the offensive game plan towards the team's strengths. For the most part of Fleck's tenure, the talent in the WR room and the performance and production of the WR group as a whole has been below average, if we're being honest.

The one outlier being when TJ and Bateman were operating at their prime, and shockingly enough, that year the Gophers passed the ball a lot more. For the most part, every other year Fleck has been here, the WR's have been underwhelming, to say the least (apparently good enough for the WR coach to be elevated, but that's another discussion altogether).

Bottom line, I just don't see what some others see in regards to Fleck being some dictator Overlord, demanding how the OC call plays and operate the offense. I just don't see it. Influence and opinion, sure, but the game plan changes every week and game plans change according to personnel and the strength of the personnel.

additional thought -

even with the increase to the assistant coaches' salary pool, the Gophers are still paying at or below average in the B1G.

Kirk C left for Rutgers and got what amounts to a $600,000 raise.

do ya think other coaches around the country don't notice that - or take that into consideration?

try and sell that to the wife: "Gee, MN is a great place to work. The salary isn't great, but......"
I just got an unexpected raise that is about 1.17% of Ciarocca's (sp), I thought that I'd hit the lotto. My wife was pleased too.

It is tough to find accurate assistant coach salary information but if Rutgers is paying KC 1.5 million then they made him one of the highest paid coordinators in all of college football.

1.5 million for an OC is not common although with the way coaching salaries are trending it probably will be eventually.

Pretty sure our assistant coach pay is in line with most other schools out there. We aren't going to pay at the top level but it also isn't like we are paying at a bottom of the barrel level either.

Ryan Burns went on an extended rant about this in a podcast during the regular season. He said that MN was well below average in the B1G for assistant coaches' salaries. I assume that he has better sources and knowledge of what those salaries are. Burns also said - or strongly hinted - that the salary level was a factor in some of the ass't coaches who have left MN in recent years.

now, after the new contracts, the ass't coaches at MN are getting more money. I don't know how much that moves them up the ladder in the B1G. I did read a story that said, before the new contracts, Kirk C was the 8th-highest paid OC in the B1G. 8th out of 14 is certainly below the median.

I honestly think the "what Fleck wants to run offensively" thing gets a LITTLE overblown, like he is somehow overly heavy-handed when it comes to how he allows the OC to run the offense.

Fleck wants to win, and like any coach, he and the OC are going to tailor the offense and the offensive game plan towards the team's strengths. For the most part of Fleck's tenure, the talent in the WR room and the performance and production of the WR group as a whole has been below average, if we're being honest.

The one outlier being when TJ and Bateman were operating at their prime, and shockingly enough, that year the Gophers passed the ball a lot more. For the most part, every other year Fleck has been here, the WR's have been underwhelming, to say the least (apparently good enough for the WR coach to be elevated, but that's another discussion altogether).

Bottom line, I just don't see what some others see in regards to Fleck being some dictator Overlord, demanding how the OC call plays and operate the offense. I just don't see it. Influence and opinion, sure, but the game plan changes every week and game plans change according to personnel and the strength of the personnel.
Well said. It's like the people who wanted us to air it out against Iowa when Mo was absolutely gashing them on the ground. Play to your strengths.

I like it. This should help Athan continue to grow without having to learn a new system. Gotta believe if it's not working out after the first few games, PJ will invite one or both to breakfast.

Ryan Burns went on an extended rant about this in a podcast during the regular season. He said that MN was well below average in the B1G for assistant coaches' salaries. I assume that he has better sources and knowledge of what those salaries are. Burns also said - or strongly hinted - that the salary level was a factor in some of the ass't coaches who have left MN in recent years.

now, after the new contracts, the ass't coaches at MN are getting more money. I don't know how much that moves them up the ladder in the B1G. I did read a story that said, before the new contracts, Kirk C was the 8th-highest paid OC in the B1G. 8th out of 14 is certainly below the median.
Burns would certainly be plugged in more than most of us and I'm not shocked that we are not near the top in terms of coaching salaries. I would hope we are in the ballpark with our competition but it is tough to find accurate info to easily compare.

The reality is that this is going to be a constantly moving target with the way coaching salaries are exploding. As soon as you start to catch up someone like Rutgers goes out and drops 1.5 million on an OC.

I addressed this before; i was saving the poster the embarrassment by omitting that ridiculous comment from the post. Trust me, it was doing them a favor, it only doubled down on the ignorance of the post
Chickenshit, miserable little man smartest guy in the room poster who devalues loyalty as a personality trait in the business world to the point he lost his mind about my post and creatively edited same.

who did you suggest we get?
Someone that would not want to change the offense and then be gone in a year or two anyways. I doubt a guys that's been a head coach in the NFL would stick around as the OC at Minnesota. I doubt he would take the job to begin with.

Top Bottom