Offensive coordinator update

Not all of the passing woes for 2022 can be landed squarely on the receivers, either.

Play-calling and QB play are two other big factors.

And yet, not a single person on GH would be questioning a decision to sign Kirk C to a long-term extension to keep being the OC here, had there never been any Rutgers news. I'm sure, in fact, they'd be welcoming that. (EDIT: clarified wording)

Last edited:

And yet, not a single person on GH would be questioning a decision to bring Kirk C back. I'm sure, in fact, they'd be welcoming that.
I would question that decision, and would most definitely not welcome him back.

I would question that decision, and would most definitely not welcome him back.
Sorry for confusing wording -- I meant if there had never been a Rutgers thing and he simply signed his extension after 2022 season and kept on being the OC here.

Matt Simon was also instrumental in developing Corey Davis at Western Michigan with PJ
into NFL's #5 overall pick in the 2017 draft. I think quite obviously he has some coaching skills. He didn't recruit Davis or Johnson and PJ was the reason Bateman was a Gopher.

So maybe he can't evaluate prospects or recruit but those three guys are pretty good evidence he can coach. Our receivers absolutely got better when the QB changed.

# Player GP Rating COMP ATT INT % YDS TD Long AVG/G
2 Morgan, Tanner 9 151.74 107 160 5 66.88 % 1382 9 66 153.56
8 Kaliakmanis, Athan 11 127.35 60 111 4 54.05 % 946 3 49 86.00

Simon has been the co-offensive coordinator since 2020. This wouldn't change his position, and it's possible he still wouldn't be the primary offensive play caller. That may go to Harbaugh, if this is true.
Bolded would make zero sense. He has never had any kind of coordinator position in his title, other than one year as PGC at D3 Marietta College. But he was also the video coordinator and academic coordinator, in that role.

All someone needs is a chance and to have someone believe in them. Now may be the time for Simon's chance. Will he succeed, that's anyone guess... But if coach fleck believes it's his time, then give him a shot... I'm not saying it's the move I would make as I'd rather have a proven o.c in charge..
This is a good point (people needing to be given a shot), but the difference in CFB is that "shot" typcially is at a lower level than a P5 conference.

Hiring internally happens all the time in corporate America. Agree though that loyalty as a sole factor is not a good reason.

I've seen both internal and external candidates implode in spectacular fashion. From personal experience, external has a slightly higher tendency to flame out. Most of the time it is due to a poor cultural fit. Some just plain suck.
If Fleck gives him the job it will not be due to loyalty. It will be because he has worked with him many years, knows him well, and believes he is ready.

as I said on another thread -

typically, when a team brings in a new OC from outside the system, that OC brings in his own offensive system.

look - this is NOT a Fleck-bashing post - but simply an observation.

I do not think Fleck would bring in an outside OC and let him install a whole new offense.

Fleck is the Head Coach, and he has a lot of control/say over the offensive system - maybe not calling specific plays, but it's clear he has a strong idea of how he wants the offense to function.

so if the choice is between an outside OC - or promoting coaches from within who know Fleck and are familiar with his philosophy and desires - then I think it shouldn't be a surprise that the Gophs promoted from within.

bottom line - if anyone was expected a radically different offense next year, you're going to be disappointed.

One of these guys has played 18 NFL games in 2 years and the other has played 33 games in 3 years and couldn't stick with Houston, the worst team in the NFL.

This is what you're going to hang your hat on?

Look, if PJ wants to go with Simon, I'm going to 100% support it and assume PJ knows better than any of us that it's the right way to go. But for any of us fans to think this is some slam dunk and Simon has assembled some jaw-dropping resume that warrants promotion to the second most important position on the coaching staff, just stop it. Nobody knows how it would turn out.

But then again, sure, he's apparently a loyal guy and a good dude, so we ought to hand him the gig.
If you are in the office today take a look around the vast majority of the folks there with you think you are a Jack-ass.
FWIW, Tanners numbers are still better.
I’m sorry but watching them play the eyeball test to me on the skill sets it’s like 8 is varsity talent and 2 is the JV. God bless 2, but bring on 8!!

The Gophers also announced that Brian Callahan will remain in his role as run game coordinator/offensive line coach.

Three coaches develop the plan and Simon will call plays. Sounds like the 3-coach system that was used in 2022 will be in place for 2023. With Simon replacing Ciarrocca with calling plays. Main difference is that the WR coach will be calling plays instead of the QB coach.

If you are in the office today take a look around the vast majority of the folks there with you think you are a Jack-ass.

Good Lord.... you really want to go there, Charlie Brown? You literally got on here and posted that the Gophers should hire a guy for the Offensive Coordinator because he's loyal and a nice guy. You are not a bright individual, that much is clear.

If this is the way they are going, I absolutely trust PJ and the powers that be and hope this is an absolute Home Run appointment. It could very well be and I know we are all hoping for that. Considering the momentum of the program and the continuity on the roster, I think there's a very good chance Simon and Harbaugh will be successful.

That doesn't change the fact that you are a bit of an immature clown who made a ridiculous comment and hasn't managed to reel back far enough to recover. Best to just move on, cheer for the Gophers. My money is on you continuing to double down on stupid, but we can all hope for the best.

One of these guys has played 18 NFL games in 2 years and the other has played 33 games in 3 years and couldn't stick with Houston, the worst team in the NFL.

This is what you're going to hang your hat on?

Look, if PJ wants to go with Simon, I'm going to 100% support it and assume PJ knows better than any of us that it's the right way to go. But for any of us fans to think this is some slam dunk and Simon has assembled some jaw-dropping resume that warrants promotion to the second most important position on the coaching staff, just stop it. Nobody knows how it would turn out.

But then again, sure, he's apparently a loyal guy and a good dude, so we ought to hand him the gig.
I'm not a big Simon guy, but using Bateman's injury problems in the NFL to downplay how great he was in college and/or how well he was developed is disingenuous at best.

I otherwise fully agree with your stance on this, but you don't need to reach that far to make your point. Don't stoop to the level of Chase.

I don't think anyone gets hired because they were loyal that said I do think the likelihood of retention is a factor.

If candidate 1 grades out as an A- but we think we have a 60% of retaining is he better than a candidate 2 who grades out as a B+ but we have a 90% chance of retaining?

additional thought -

even with the increase to the assistant coaches' salary pool, the Gophers are still paying at or below average in the B1G.

Kirk C left for Rutgers and got what amounts to a $600,000 raise.

do ya think other coaches around the country don't notice that - or take that into consideration?

try and sell that to the wife: "Gee, MN is a great place to work. The salary isn't great, but......"

The Gophers also announced that Brian Callahan will remain in his role as run game coordinator/offensive line coach.

Three coaches develop the plan and Simon will call plays. Sounds like the 3-coach system that was used in 2022 will be in place for 2023. With Simon replacing Ciarrocca with calling plays. Main difference is that the WR coach will be calling plays instead of the QB coach.
They've had this system for a long time.

Simon has been the "passing game coordinator" and Callahan the "running game coordinator" for a while now.

Has it actually been explicitly said, in any print medium (newspaper article, online article, official gophersports/facebook/whatever post) that "Simon will call plays", or is this your opinion or hearsay?

To some degree, each of the three coaches -- probably also Fleck, at times -- have opinions and say on what the actual play call is.

Simon could say something like "OK guys, 3rd and mid coming up ... I want a pass here. Greg, what have been the two best routes in the game so far?" or "Alright 2nd and short. I want a run to the field, Brian what do you think here?"

Lastly, there is still the absurd silliness with the titles.

Sanford and KC were hired as just plain old "OC". Simon was promoted to "co-OC" in 2020 after his successful bowl game play calling.

But now, when Simon (supposedly) is being promoted to the OC role .... he still won't get the bump up in title.

Some silly shenanigans going on there.

additional thought -

even with the increase to the assistant coaches' salary pool, the Gophers are still paying at or below average in the B1G.

Kirk C left for Rutgers and got what amounts to a $600,000 raise.

do ya think other coaches around the country don't notice that - or take that into consideration?

try and sell that to the wife: "Gee, MN is a great place to work. The salary isn't great, but......"
It is tough to find accurate assistant coach salary information but if Rutgers is paying KC 1.5 million then they made him one of the highest paid coordinators in all of college football.

1.5 million for an OC is not common although with the way coaching salaries are trending it probably will be eventually.

Pretty sure our assistant coach pay is in line with most other schools out there. We aren't going to pay at the top level but it also isn't like we are paying at a bottom of the barrel level either.

Simon has been the "passing game coordinator" and Callahan the "running game coordinator" for a while now.

Has it actually been explicitly said, in any print medium (newspaper article, online article, official gophersports/facebook/whatever post) that "Simon will call plays", or is this your opinion or hearsay?

To some degree, each of the three coaches -- probably also Fleck, at times -- have opinions and say on what the actual play call is.

Simon could say something like "OK guys, 3rd and mid coming up ... I want a pass here. Greg, what have been the two best routes in the game so far?" or "Alright 2nd and short. I want a run to the field, Brian what do you think here?"

Sanford and KC were hired as just plain old "OC". Simon was promoted to "co-OC" in 2020 after his successful bowl game play calling.

But now, when Simon (supposedly) is being promoted to the OC role .... he still won't get the bump up in title.

That must explain why our qb is always looking to the sideline before the snap. Waiting to see if the coaches have come to a decision on what play to run and it finally gets called a couple of seconds before the play clock expires.

I think it is recognizing that he has never been an OC outright (2 Games) and the next step is to be the play caller. Fleck isn't giving him the title until it is earned, and Ciarrocca and Sanford had been OC's before. Not saying it is right or wrong, just the way it is.

Sanford 4 years as OC and 2 as HC.
Ciarrocca 17 Years as OC

This is absolutely 100% NOT how very successful organizations typically operate, and honestly a really, really stupid criteria to use during the hiring process for any critical position
That's some interesting editing, Ogee. I like how you left out the end of the sentence: "and a future star in the coaching world."

Now I think that's a debatable statement, but it I know that Ogee Ogilthorpe is a selective editor.

That must explain why our qb is always looking to the sideline before the snap. Waiting to see if the coaches have come to a decision on what play to run and it finally gets called a couple of seconds before the play clock expires.
That's not the reason why the QB (and others are looking to the sidelines).....play is called-they go to the line-see the defensive alignment and decide if they want to switch protections and/or direction of the play. The theory being that they can tell a lot by how the defense lines up......Not sure it is affective, but that's the theory.

That's some interesting editing, Ogee. I like how you left out the end of the sentence: "and a future star in the coaching world."

Now I think that's a debatable statement, but it I know that Ogee Ogilthorpe is a selective editor.

I addressed this before; i was saving the poster the embarrassment by omitting that ridiculous comment from the post. Trust me, it was doing them a favor, it only doubled down on the ignorance of the post

That's not the reason why the QB (and others are looking to the sidelines).....play is called-they go to the line-see the defensive alignment and decide if they want to switch protections and/or direction of the play. The theory being that they can tell a lot by how the defense lines up......Not sure it is affective, but that's the theory.
Your sarcasm meter is broken dude

Top Bottom