Offensive coordinator update

Simon deserves the chance he’s been loyal. By all indications a great guy and a future star in the coaching world.
I am curious what “indications” you are referring to that are indicating he is a future star in the coaching world?

I wonder if OP mixed up the roles?

Greg Harbaugh played WR in college. Here is his senior bio (and hilariously, the website has his roster photo upside down): https://averettcougars.com/sports/football/roster/greg-harbaugh/69

As mentioned by Bob, his gophersports bio does not show any coaching experience except for receivers and TEs:

Coaching Experience
2022-present: Minnesota - Tight Ends
2020-21: Western Michigan - Wide Receivers
2019: Minnesota - Quality Control
2018: Chattanooga - Wide Receivers
2017: Minnesota - Quality Control
2015-16: Western Michigan - Graduate Assistant
2013-14: Marietta College - Passing Game Coordinator / Recruiting Coordinator / Video Coordinator / Academic Coordinator
2011-12: Methodist University - Assistant Coach
2009-10: North Carolina Wesleyan College - Wide Receivers / Running Backs

So, I wonder if it's supposed to be that Simon will switch over to coaching QB's, and the defacto OC and primary play-caller (the former Kirk C role), and Harbaugh will take over coaching WR's (the former Simon role)?

In which case, I'm not sure why Harbaugh would warrent even being a co-OC? I would think Brian Callahan would warrant that moreso ...

Regardless, would need a new TE coach.

Says he played QB and WR in college.

This is absolutely 100% NOT how very successful organizations typically operate, and honestly a really, really stupid criteria to use during the hiring process for any critical position
Bingo.

You

You cut out the final sentence of my post to help make your point. What are you Fox News?

I personally don't know why smart people make fun of lefties that need to interject their politics into every conceivable conversation. I thought Gopherchase came off very impressive in his post. Not clumsy at all.

Has Greg Harbaugh had any experience with coaching/playing QB?
He has only been a WR and a TE coach...no QB coaching expierience.
Playing Experience: Averett University (quarterback and wide receiver), 2005-08

This is absolutely 100% NOT how very successful organizations typically operate, and honestly a really, really stupid criteria to use during the hiring process for any critical position
Hiring internally happens all the time in corporate America. Agree though that loyalty as a sole factor is not a good reason.

I've seen both internal and external candidates implode in spectacular fashion. From personal experience, external has a slightly higher tendency to flame out. Most of the time it is due to a poor cultural fit. Some just plain suck.

I am curious what “indications” you are referring to that are indicating he is a future star in the coaching world?

Sounds like my kinda guy I’d be happy to have him as our OC. I’ve met him a couple of times as well and he seems like one of those guys who has “it”.

I've seen both internal and external candidates implode in spectacular fashion. From personal experience, external has a slightly higher tendency to flame out. Most of the time it is due to a poor cultural fit. Some just plain suck.

Agree. Rewarding loyalty is a key piece to many, many, many successful businesses, including many sports teams.

Often times "loyal" workers are simply just the good workers who know their way around, understand the mechanisms of success for the given business they are working in, know how to produce, get raises, get promotions, and all of the sudden they are at a company for a decade and then two decades. They aren't really "loyal," they're just good at their jobs. Thus, the company keeps them around, often promoting them up the food chain.

Doesn't always work out to reward loyalty, but to suggest it is 100% NOT the way to go is a bit overdramatic.

Bringing in fresh, outside voices to help lead can also be very productive. But, certainly there are no guarantees an outside influence will have a positive impact, either. Mike Sanford is a prime example.

Burns is saying Simon and Greg Harbaugh as co-coordinators

Greg Harbaugh as the qb coach. .

Interesting.

I believe internal hires are best trained unless you need specialized external expertise you don't have or perhaps the top visionary leader.

-Simon already is co-coordinator.

Harbaugh played QB and receiver and

HARBAUGH AT A GLANCE

Coaching Experience

2013-14: Marietta College - Passing Game Coordinator / Recruiting Coordinator / Video Coordinator / Academic Coordinator

In PJ we trust!
Next big coaching tree....
Developmental program....
SKI U MAH
ROW THE BOAT
GO GOPHERS!

I personally want a guy with an air raid background but I know it won't happen
Defense: That series was a bit grueling, I could use an extended break so I can catch my breath!

Defense (Four minutes later after a three play 70 yd TD drive): What do you mean it's time to go back on the field?

Question: How many championship caliber teams have air raid offenses?

Well, #1, this ia rumor so far.
But, if it were true. Nobody has more experience hiring assistant coaches than PJ.
There probably is not one potential candidate PJ knows as well as he knows these two guys.
So, if PJ chooses them, I'm pretty sure he has thought it through.
Seamless transition is very important right now. We need AK8 to remain a Gopher...get some guy like Jedd Fisch changing his throwing motion in spring practice and AK8 is in the portal and we are running the wildcat with Kramer.
Not to mention...PJ is the OC and has been for his entire career. Sanford didn't know and wasn't good...bad combo. These two guys know very much what PJ is thinking...the players know, like and trust these co-OC guys.
Those are the important factors.

Wisconsin is taking a different approach. They are going full blown Air Raid with the caveat "of course we are running the ball, you think we're stupid?"

Sounds like my kinda guy I’d be happy to have him as our OC. I’ve met him a couple of times as well and he seems like one of those guys who has “it”.
I’d like to see him succeed as our WR coach first, but that is just me 🤷‍♂️

I believe internal hires are best trained unless you need specialized external expertise you don't have or perhaps the top visionary leader.

-Simon already is co-coordinator.

Harbaugh played QB and receiver and

HARBAUGH AT A GLANCE

Coaching Experience

Kirk C did not play QB in college. He starting coaching in college in 1990, and didn't get his first QB coaching job until 2002, at Delaware (also the OC). Prior to that, he coached receivers mainly. (He played DB himself)

So on one hand, that speaks fine, in my opinion, about Harbaugh transitioning to QB coach, if that is the case.

But on the other hand, it also speaks just as well about Simon transitioning to QB coach.

The "Kirk C role" is QB coach and main play-caller. So, I don't see why that bit shouldn't be Simon's. The "Simon role" is WR coach and co-OC/passing game coordinator (I imagine is a lot of analyzing the opposing team's coverage/DB personnel and figuring out which routes should work best). I don't see why that bit shouldn't be Harbaugh's.

But if the OP stays correct, then I have no doubt that Fleck will have jerry-rigged up some explanation for why this decision makes sense.

I did not know that we posters are making the choices for filling the vacancies.
I thought that was PJ's responsibility with the AD agreeing.
Chryst's downfall was hiring only people he was comfortable with not because they were very good at what they did.

"Matt Simon has never succeeded as the Gophers WR coach"

I mean, is this a bald faced lie in order to troll, or what? Would be interesting to see some explanation behind that.

I wonder what these guys would say about such a silly comment? :unsure:

qjkczbyh7wpk0bk09czz

9d0bced591d74a81be3c315c4020a9bc.jpg

All someone needs is a chance and to have someone believe in them. Now may be the time for Simon's chance. Will he succeed, that's anyone guess... But if coach fleck believes it's his time, then give him a shot... I'm not saying it's the move I would make as I'd rather have a proven o.c in charge..

"Matt Simon has never succeeded as the Gophers WR coach"

I mean, is this a bald faced lie in order to troll, or what? Would be interesting to see some explanation behind that.

I wonder what these guys would say about such a silly comment? :unsure:

qjkczbyh7wpk0bk09czz

9d0bced591d74a81be3c315c4020a9bc.jpg

One of these guys has played 18 NFL games in 2 years and the other has played 33 games in 3 years and couldn't stick with Houston, the worst team in the NFL.

This is what you're going to hang your hat on?

Look, if PJ wants to go with Simon, I'm going to 100% support it and assume PJ knows better than any of us that it's the right way to go. But for any of us fans to think this is some slam dunk and Simon has assembled some jaw-dropping resume that warrants promotion to the second most important position on the coaching staff, just stop it. Nobody knows how it would turn out.

But then again, sure, he's apparently a loyal guy and a good dude, so we ought to hand him the gig.

Matt Simon was also instrumental in developing Corey Davis at Western Michigan with PJ
into NFL's #5 overall pick in the 2017 draft. I think quite obviously he has some coaching skills. He didn't recruit Davis or Johnson and PJ was the reason Bateman was a Gopher.

So maybe he can't evaluate prospects or recruit but those three guys are pretty good evidence he can coach. Our receivers absolutely got better when the QB changed.

One of these guys has played 18 NFL games in 2 years and the other has played 33 games in 3 years and couldn't stick with Houston, the worst team in the NFL.

Two guys got drafted and then made active rosters in the League. That ain't easy to do.

So yes, I am going to hang my hat on that for Simon being a successful receiver coach.

Look, if PJ wants to go with Simon, I'm going to 100% support it and assume PJ knows better than any of us that it's the right way to go. But for any of us fans to think this is some slam dunk and Simon has assembled some jaw-dropping resume that warrants promotion to the second most important position on the coaching staff, just stop it. Nobody knows how it would turn out.

But then again, sure, he's apparently a loyal guy and a good dude, so we ought to hand him the gig.
Not a slam dunk, by any means.

Neither was promoting Rossi. But that turned out. I think Fleck's experience there, and his bad experience with Sanford, is going to guide him to promoting Simon, this time, correct or not.

Depending how you look at that is an endorsement for Simon. He took guys and made them high NFL draft choices. Somebody else in the NFL coaches them and they struggle.
Tyler did struggle catching the ball...that's very difficult to rectify....Simon made improvement in TJ.
Other coaches can't motivate or coach him up depending what stories you care to believe about Tyler. Simon did.

But recruiting isn't the discussion here, it's development.
Like somebody else said..what are you Fox News... you just leave out the last sentence?
"So maybe he can't evaluate prospects or recruit but those three guys are pretty good evidence he can coach. Our receivers absolutely got better when the QB changed." this past season.

Top Bottom