Offensive Coordinator Hot Board: Candidates to Replace KC

I'm guessing they'll hire Matt Simon...

...but my homerun hire is Tom Polasek. Was OC at NDSU when they were winning nothing but 'ships, now coaches Iowa OL into the NFL, and has recruited a top 2021 Minnesota 4* to Iowa.

Hire Polasek, and flip Justice Sullivan back home!
Hey hey! Got another one! I suggested the same

A little unrelated to the discussion, but none of those were prized recruits. They were all 3-stars. Both Kittle and Hockenson were lower rated than Paulson and Spann-Ford. 247 rated Kittle at 78. Fant was only slightly higher. All three of them are studs.
Not to mention Kelce, Ertz, Ebron, etc. etc.

Why would you want an inferior receiver to take away targets/receptions from your WRs?? That's a horrible idea! They should be staying in to help block on every passing play!

I say Co-Offensive Coordinators in Simon and Patterson and hire a QB coach

Given it seems KC did very little recruiting, I wonder if PJ’s home run hire would be not only someone that can effectively run the offense he wants, but also open up new recruiting pipelines. This may cause him to look more closely at outside candidates.
A combo would be nice but man I'd hate to just put a crooter guy who maybe isn't as strong a coordinator in an OC position... would make me nervous.

Tom Herman took Tim Beck with him from Ohio State to Texas. Now Herman will go back to the Ohio State well and has hired their passing game coordinator and QB coach Mike Yurcich to take over as OC in Austin.

I guess the Tweet a few posts ago was hinting at the idea of Tim Beck being hired as the OC at Minnesota. What say you all? He was also previously the OC and QB coach at Nebraska under Pelini. And he was WR coach and passing game coordinator for Mangino at Kansas during their 2007 standout season.

Tom Herman took Tim Beck with him from Ohio State to Texas. Now Herman will go back to the Ohio State well and has hired their passing game coordinator and QB coach Mike Yurcich to take over as OC in Austin.

I guess the Tweet a few posts ago was hinting at the idea of Tim Beck being hired as the OC at Minnesota. What say you all? He was also previously the OC and QB coach at Nebraska under Pelini. And he was WR coach and passing game coordinator for Mangino at Kansas during their 2007 standout season.

I'm definitely a part of the anti-Tim Beck crowd. The replies to this Reddit post sum it up better than I can. Same issues he had at OSU manifested themselves at Texas and were evident in his prior stop at Nebraska. Apparently a great recruiter, but terrible at play-calling, offensive scheme development, and player development.

I'm definitely a part of the anti-Tim Beck crowd. The replies to this Reddit post sum it up better than I can. Same issues he had at OSU manifested themselves at Texas and were evident in his prior stop at Nebraska. Apparently a great recruiter, but terrible at play-calling, offensive scheme development, and player development.
Thanks for sharing! Interesting indeed.

Mind you, tough for me to have much sympathy for Ohio State's 2015 and 2016 seasons, though the loss to Clemson that year was brutal.

Texas definitely regressed this year.

When PJ took the WMU job, he hired Kirk despite his trainwreck stint at Rutgers.

When PJ took the job at Minnesota, he hired Robb Smith...also coming off a trainwreck stint.

What does that tell me? He values close relationships over everything else. He isn’t one to chase the hot names. This is why I think it will be an in-house hire, assuming he thinks one of the internal candidates is ready for the gig. If he goes outside, it will probably be someone he’s worked with before.

Or someone highly recommended by Schiano.

When we married Fleck, we got Schiano as an uncle-in-law.

When PJ took the WMU job, he hired Kirk despite his trainwreck stint at Rutgers.

When PJ took the job at Minnesota, he hired Robb Smith...also coming off a trainwreck stint.

What does that tell me? He values close relationships over everything else. He isn’t one to chase the hot names. This is why I think it will be an in-house hire, assuming he thinks one of the internal candidates is ready for the gig. If he goes outside, it will probably be someone he’s worked with before.

I don't know much about his time there, but 2008 - 2010 Rutgers was right in their golden era.

It certainly could have been a trainwreck there, but I doubt they've had that amount of success since.

I don't know much about his time there, but 2008 - 2010 Rutgers was right in their golden era.

It certainly could have been a trainwreck there, but I doubt they've had that amount of success since.

In 2010, they were 4-8 with the 114th ranked offense. Sciano fired Kirk at the end of the year.

Let me first say I doubt it will be an outsider, but if it were to be an outsider, what about Major Applewhite? Currently Offensive Analyst for Alabama, was OC for Rice, Alabama, Texas and Houston before being promoted to head coach at Houston.

In 2010, they were 4-8 with the 114th ranked offense. Sciano fired Kirk at the end of the year.

Yeah, and in 2008 they were 8-5 and in 2009 they were 9-4. In 2008, they were 39th in total offense. In 2009, they were 53rd in total offense.

I don't think you're going to look at that three year run at Rutgers and think it was a trainwreck. Granted, he got canned.

Kyle Flood (the co-OC) went on to become their Head Coach, so it's not like the putrid offense of 2010 was enough to sink his stock, even at Rutgers.

Yeah, and in 2008 they were 8-5 and in 2009 they were 9-4. In 2008, they were 39th in total offense. In 2009, they were 53rd in total offense.

I don't think you're going to look at that three year run at Rutgers and think it was a trainwreck. Granted, he got canned.

Kyle Flood (the co-OC) went on to become their Head Coach, so it's not like the putrid offense of 2010 was enough to sink his stock, even at Rutgers.

His play calling was blamed for their bad season. He was canned. Fleck hired him anyway. My point was that Fleck values personal relationships over looking for the hot coach. My point still stands.

Right, he didn’t even consider any outside DC candidates. Granted Rossi did a great job and deserved the promotion based on the end of last year. Another Rutgers guy.

Let me first say I doubt it will be an outsider, but if it were to be an outsider, what about Major Applewhite? Currently Offensive Analyst for Alabama, was OC for Rice, Alabama, Texas and Houston before being promoted to head coach at Houston.
Apple white is a me first guy, wouldn't fit this culture at all. Low moral character guy!

His play calling was blamed for their bad season. He was canned. Fleck hired him anyway. My point was that Fleck values personal relationships over looking for the hot coach. My point still stands.

I'm not sure if that is true. We hired Joe Harasymiak and Clay Patterson without much connection to the staff. He also hired Kenni Burns to WMU without much connection (he was only there a year before coming to the U).

I understand your point, I just disagree with it. I also am not surprised that an OC's play calling was blamed for a bad offense. But I don't think to the outside world, anyone would view KC's time at Rutgers as a "trainwreck". Your point was, despite the trainwreck at Rutgers, Fleck still hired him. If the "trainwreck" is in dispute, it goes to your entire point.

So I think Fleck hired KC because he was comfortable with him and because he was a guy who had success at a difficult place.

Here's an interesting take, although I think Rossi was promoted to full time DC before the bowl game.

Last edited:

I'm not sure if that is true. We hired Joe Harasymiak and Clay Patterson without much connection to the staff. He also hired Kenni Burns to WMU without much connection (he was only there a year before coming to the U).

I understand your point, I just disagree with it. I also am not surprised that an OC's play calling was blamed for a bad offense. But I don't think to the outside world, anyone would view KC's time at Rutgers as a "trainwreck". Your point was, despite the trainwreck at Rutgers, Fleck still hired him. If the "trainwreck" is in dispute, it goes to your entire point.

So I think Fleck hired KC because he was comfortable with him and because he was a guy who had success at a difficult place.

This is what he said:

"There's not a lot of guys that I hire that I don't know or haven't worked with or worked for.”

We’re not talking about a position coach here. Sure, anything is possible, but his history and his words point towards hiring someone he’s familiar with on a personal level for a position as important as OC.

Weren’t Rossi and Harasymiak both at Maine for some time?

Point being, while it may appear that a coach has no direct connection, you may be surprised by the level of indirect connections. Or merely even praise by the right person, that gets you hired. Like I said, if Schiano or Rossi suggested someone as a good fit for Fleck, I would bet that carries heavy weight with him.

Top Bottom