Offensive Coordinator Hot Board: Candidates to Replace KC

BTW, I think it's important to hire this one outside to keep new blood coming in.

We should hire Matt Limegrover back just to show them up!!!!

/S
YUp. Limy would be great. He hates calling plays and is way over his ski tips and he didn’t like being Oc. Just wanted to be line coach. Thanks jerry kill. Hey jerrry what were you smoking ?

Reactions: sal

If Auburn beats us who will start the KC leaked our game plan thread?

YUp. Limy would be great. He hates calling plays and is way over his ski tips and he didn’t like being Oc. Just wanted to be line coach. Thanks jerry kill. Hey jerrry what were you smoking ?
Jerry's loyalty to that guy's offense was just... something else.

I think Beck would be a great hire as well.
Texas' problem was not their offense.

he has failed and sucked at virtually everystop he has been at and every school has been more than happy to get rid of him. He sucked at Texas, Ohio State, Nebraska, and was mediocre at Colorado. He is also a average recruiter at best.

he has failed and sucked at virtually everystop he has been at and every school has been more than happy to get rid of him. He sucked at Texas, Ohio State, Nebraska, and was mediocre at Colorado. He is also a average recruiter at best.

He’s probably going to be recruiter of the year in the Big 12 but agree with everything else you said. He’s not a strong Xs and Os guy. He’d be Robb Smith all over again.

Would be a big upset....I would hope that PJ already wanted to promote him if he made that call... would be nervous otherwise.

Simon I'm sure is a good coach but that resume is light for a P5 OC job.
Wasn't Gophs current HC resume P5 light as well?

He's a very good recruiter.

Texas had the #11 offense in the country this year per advanced stats. He also wasn't awful at tOSU or Nebraska.

He had a playoff appearance, etc.

The issue with Beck is that he doesn't really call a vertical passing game, but he's not a bad OC.

I know that people like to joke about him, but he has called plays for some very good football teams.

He's a very good recruiter.

Texas had the #11 offense in the country this year per advanced stats. He also wasn't awful at tOSU or Nebraska.

He had a playoff appearance, etc.

The issue with Beck is that he doesn't really call a vertical passing game, but he's not a bad OC.

I know that people like to joke about him, but he has called plays for some very good football teams.

and he has been fired or demoted by every coach with any offensive knowledge where he has been. Urban Meyer, tom Herman, etc.... . The guy has flat out failed at multiple jobs with built in advantages he would never have at Minnesota. he is also the guy that passed up offering Joe Burrow at Nebraska to recruit another kid at QB who ended up riding the bench at North Texas as a TE. Burrow was a Husker legacy of multiple generations who would have accepted on the spot. The guy is a flat out loser and would guarantee gopher fans would be wanting him fired in 3 years or less.

Last edited:

1 of the internal names to replace him is Kenni Burns. I'm not advocating for or against, just pointing out something I read on another site. He turned down the head coaching job at Eastern Illinois to stay with Gophs last year. I just thought that was interesting. He must have something good going for him if that was offered to him.

1 of the internal names to replace him is Kenni Burns. I'm not advocating for or against, just pointing out something I read on another site. He turned down the head coaching job at Eastern Illinois to stay with Gophs last year. I just thought that was interesting. He must have something good going for him if that was offered to him.
He did add a title of assistant HC.

While PJ seems like a guy/coach who would promote from within, it sure seems like he’s going outside the staff actively looking for a replacement. With the comments he’s made about knowing a lot of people and already scheduling some interviews by phone, along with saying he wants a hire that improves the position, it sure sounds like he’s going outside the staff to me. The good news is that it sounds like many coaches have contacted him about the job. I think we have a new OC by end of next week.

What are the rumors on a replacement for Panagos??

Whoever is hired must be elite.

FWIW (not very much, tbh)

Not that you're wrong (or right), but why would a "prominent Offensive player's dad" not have some possible insight into the OC opening? Why would his opinion not be worth very much? I find this wrinkle pretty intriguing considering most feel it will be a promotion from within.

Last edited:

I'm not so sure it will be a promotion from within, after all ....

"
Fleck already has started seeking Ciarrocca’s permanent replacement, with several phone interviews already lined up and interested candidates reaching out to him the past two days.
"

"
Fleck said his attention now turns to finding a way to be even “better and upgrade” in Ciarrocca’s wake. That process has started.

“We’re going to be pretty aggressive,” Fleck said of the coaching search. “I know a lot of people. There’s a lot of people who want the job, heard from a lot of people. … I don’t want it to last that long.

‘‘I have some interviews set up already. And so we’ll do a lot of things through the phone from here.”

"

I have absolutely no idea if this will happen, or if Fleck would be interested, but there are some rumblings that Miami (FL) OC Dan Enos could lose his job after one season. Enos has been a head coach as well as an OC at several P5 programs, including Alabama.

"
Miami entered the game with the nation's worst third-down conversion percentage, and going 5-for-14 on Thursday didn't help that much. The Hurricanes finished the year with three straight losses and averaged only 25.7 points per game. It raised more questions about the future of offensive coordinator Dan Enos, whose lone season with the Hurricanes saw the offense perform well below expectations
"

EDIT: I guess it is more certain than the ESPN article makes it sound. This says it's a done deal that they're parting ways: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0191226-fmh4pzs7nzgxzk55xzmmbywwgm-story.html

FWIW, Enos played QB at Michigan St and would be a QB coach in addition to coordinator.

I have absolutely no idea if this will happen, or if Fleck would be interested, but there are some rumblings that Miami (FL) OC Dan Enos could lose his job after one season. Enos has been a head coach as well as an OC at several P5 programs, including Alabama.

"
Miami entered the game with the nation's worst third-down conversion percentage, and going 5-for-14 on Thursday didn't help that much. The Hurricanes finished the year with three straight losses and averaged only 25.7 points per game. It raised more questions about the future of offensive coordinator Dan Enos, whose lone season with the Hurricanes saw the offense perform well below expectations
"

EDIT: I guess it is more certain than the ESPN article makes it sound. This says it's a done deal that they're parting ways: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0191226-fmh4pzs7nzgxzk55xzmmbywwgm-story.html

FWIW, Enos played QB at Michigan St and would be a QB coach in addition to coordinator.

No thanks. He couldn’t even figure out Miami’s QB room and that offense was atrocious.

Sure.

Although he is given some credit for Tua's development at Alabama in 2018.

^

I think considering both external and internal candidates is typical, and doesn’t necessarily indicate he’s more likely to hire an outsider.

No thanks on the Miami coordinator.

I think considering both external and internal candidates is typical, and doesn’t necessarily indicate he’s more likely to hire an outsider.
You're right, that's true. We won't really know for sure unless Fleck says something more.

Would be interesting to know Fleck's mind right now ... if he's just genuinely curious to talk to external candidates and see if they can sell him on themselves, but he's hoping to just promote Simon?

^

No thanks on the Miami coordinator.
I agree. It should be a hard NO on Enos.

You're right, that's true. We won't really know for sure unless Fleck says something more.

Would be interesting to know Fleck's mind right now ... if he's just genuinely curious to talk to external candidates and see if they can sell him on themselves, but he's hoping to just promote Simon?

what I think is most likely:

Simon as OC/WR, Patterson as QB/PGC, hire in a star recruiter type to fill the TE slot

wild card:

some sort of Co-OC scheme with Simon and Patterson

I don’t see any can’t-miss OCs on the market

Top Bottom