Offensive Coordinator Hot Board: Candidates to Replace KC

I have to say @Mitu, you've really had some awesome responses. Including external reference links. (in other words, doing my homework for me, LOL)

Keep up the great work!

I would be, I think that would be dysfunctional.

The person hired must fit the offensive scheme and the RTB cutlure.

Dysfunctional is McBath who played for Leach at Texas Tech. He was poison and plays a big part in the undoing of Claeys. Leach probably wouldn't have lifted a finger in defense of Claeys. That was a toxic site. I don't blame Claeys for moving on.

Mike Sanford Jr....ok who is our resident WKU/Utah St guy to tell us if this is a flop or HR hire! I know they had Jordan Love who was a pro prospect and kind of fell flat this year

Fair questions. Here’s what I would say:
  • He’s been there for one year and had to deal with terrible WRs and an injured QB corps. Despite that, they finished 11th nationally in total offense. See this article for more.
  • His track record speaks for itself. He led record breaking offenses at a Utah State. He’s mentored Jordan Love, Chase Daniel, and Blaine Gabbert. See this article for more on his past and coaching DNA.
  • He has led recruiting for the top recruits that TT has committed. He’s also from Ohio and would help us make inroads in a talent rich market.
Simon did a marvelous job as playcaller. However, that was one game. Yes, he added his own wrinkles, but Ciarocca built the gameplan. It would suck to lose him, but that doesn’t mean he’s the best candidate for OC. Either way, I trust Fleck to make the right call.
Only further thing I would say about Yost is, for him to implement the system he most prefers, he needs a QB that is a legit threat to run. I don't see that being Tanner. Actually, Seth Green back when he was a prospect would've probably been an ideal Yost recruit.

The 10 personnel read-option thing to me is kinda played out. I don't like it personally, but like I've said a million times, any system can work with the right players and the right play caller.

Who??? Jeez, ok time to wikipedia this guy.

Think Simon is gone. Hope he doesn't go to a Big Ten school.

Mike Sanford??? He struggled to replace Brohm at WKU and then oversaw USU's offensive nosedive post-Yost.

I trust Fleck, but this makes me super leery.

I do agree with this sentiment. I think the idea that you automatically just shift everyone up a spot when you need a replacement is a terrible way to promote. It actually is the undoing of a lot of businesses.

That said, Matt Simon wasn't just another coach. He is one of our main recruiters and he has coached a position that produced two 1st team All Big 10 WRs. He is the kind of guy other programs will look to poach.

So, I don't think the push to hire Simon is merely because he is the next man up, I think it's because he has been exceptional at his job. Not promoting and retaining exceptional performers is also the undoing of a lot of businesses.

Agree on all points. Therein lies PJ Fleck's quandary. I think there are probably conversations going on between him, Patterson, Burns, Callahan, and Fleck. Do whatever it takes...

Mike Sanford??? He struggled to replace Brohm at WKU and then oversaw USU's offensive nosedive post-Yost.

I trust Fleck, but this makes me super leery.
Utah State has a generational player in Jordan Love. Yost got to benefit from that. That's a P5 star level talent guy, playing in the Mountain West.

Wonder if they lost some supporting (WR/RB?) talent and Love tried to do too much himself, this year?

I don’t get it. Why blow up a successful system...

Waiting on someone to explain this to me.

Check out the new thread. I don't think it's going to be that, at all.

I’m just wondering what he brings to the table in terms of a system that fits our personnel, other than being a former QB. Legitimate question and I’m curious.

Simon gets my vote. He was OC for Auburn, right? And that was one hell of a performance by our beloved violet and gold Gophers.

Top Bottom