Offensive Coordinator Hot Board: Candidates to Replace KC

Keep in mind, we had three coaches with offensive coordinating duties this year:

KC - OC
Simon - passing game coordinator
Callahan - running game coordinator

All three were also responsible for a position group.

And then Patterson was TE coach, but has also coached QBs and WRs in his past.

what I think is most likely:

Simon as OC/WR, Patterson as QB/PGC, hire in a star recruiter type to fill the TE slot

wild card:

some sort of Co-OC scheme with Simon and Patterson

I don’t see any can’t-miss OCs on the market
It's possible that we're pursuing someone that isn't "on the market", or that someone who "isn't on the market" has reached out to us because they are interested.

Any up and coming G5 OCs that run a balanced offense similar to what we run now?

I think Brewster would be fantastic, if, for no other reason than the symmetry of it.

How has no one suggested Marc Trestman? :cool:

FWIW - let's say for the sake of argument they do hire an "outside" candidate for OC. Does that person get to install his own/preferred system, or does Fleck require that the new OC adopt the current system - maybe make a few tweaks, but generally keep things mostly the same on offense?

That could greatly impact the hiring process. A lot of guys are really married to a particular system or approach. If - and I say if - an outside candidate has to use the current system/philosophy, then I could see a lot of people saying "no" under those circumstances.

On the other hand, if Fleck is reaching out to people with whom he shares a similar offensive philosophy, then maybe there are candidates who would be willing to take the job while knowing he has to conform to the head Coach's offensive philosophy.

Or- another thought - let's say the new OC gets a green light to put in his own system. How does that potentially impact things with the returning players?

Lot of variables here.

FWIW - let's say for the sake of argument they do hire an "outside" candidate for OC. Does that person get to install his own/preferred system, or does Fleck require that the new OC adopt the current system - maybe make a few tweaks, but generally keep things mostly the same on offense?

That could greatly impact the hiring process. A lot of guys are really married to a particular system or approach. If - and I say if - an outside candidate has to use the current system/philosophy, then I could see a lot of people saying "no" under those circumstances.

On the other hand, if Fleck is reaching out to people with whom he shares a similar offensive philosophy, then maybe there are candidates who would be willing to take the job while knowing he has to conform to the head Coach's offensive philosophy.

Or- another thought - let's say the new OC gets a green light to put in his own system. How does that potentially impact things with the returning players?

Lot of variables here.

I would be shocked to see Fleck hire someone who would want to drastically change the style of offense we run. Obviously there are going to be new wrinkles and changes but I would expect the overall philosophy to stay roughly the same no matter who we bring in.

Fleck stresses continuity and sustainability. You don't get that by changing systems every few years and changing up the kind of players you are recruiting to fit it. That was Brewster's main downfall, he never figured out the identity of the team and it kept on changing with each new coordinator.

Coaching changes are inevitable but you don't have to overhaul the way you do things each time a new guys comes in.

Lot of variables here.

There are no variables here. Fleck is going to choose a coordinator that runs the same RPO system that he has had a ton of success with in his 7 years as a head coach. That coordinator also will fit Fleck's culture.

There are a lot of schools that run a similar RPO, and a lot of coaches who would love to work for Fleck. Plus with what the Gopher's return on offense next season, there will be no shortage of candidates if he goes outside of Patterson/Simon/Burns.

Last edited:

There are no variables here. Fleck is going to choose a coordinator that runs the same RPO system that he has had a ton of success with in his 7 years as a head coach. That coordinator also will fit Fleck's culture.

There are a lot of schools that run a similar RPO, and a lot of coaches who would love to work for Fleck. Plus with what the Gopher return on offense next season, there will be no shortage of candidates if he goes outside of Patterson/Simon/Burns.

Our returning talent on offense will make this a very attractive job opening to anyone that runs a similar style offense to the one we did last year. Very good chance to come in and have immediate success with the players we have in place.

There are a lot of schools that run a similar RPO, and a lot of coaches who would love to work for Fleck. Plus with what the Gopher's return on offense next season, there will be no shortage of candidates if he goes outside of Patterson/Simon/Burns.
This is an interesting take. So are you suggesting Franklin is wanting to move to more of an RPO offense at Penn State?

I disagree that a lot of schools ran the offense the way that KC did.

A lot of schools have an RPO play (or two) in the playbook. Sure. A lot of schools have a 6 OL formation in their playbook too. Doesn't mean they call it 10 times a game. Or more if you consider a TE that almost never goes out on a pass-catching route to just be a less effective 6th OL.

I would guess that most OCs in the P5 ranks didn't rely almost exclusively on zone run blocking, to setup the RPO, to setup the big pass play. That would seem to be KC's philosophy and system.

Like I've said before, any system can work great and produce great results. A 1920's Wishbone system can. It's about having the right players and calling the right plays at the right time, having anticipated what your opposing DC has dialed up. Defense is a game of plugging three holes with two plugs.

I would have to believe Tony Dungy is a candidate.

He could game plan and coach during the week and still make it to Sunday night football after the game to do his NBC gig.

Tony almost won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, so you know he can get big results out of ok QB's.

/s

I disagree that a lot of schools ran the offense the way that KC did.

A lot of schools have an RPO play (or two) in the playbook. Sure. A lot of schools have a 6 OL formation in their playbook too. Doesn't mean they call it 10 times a game. Or more if you consider a TE that almost never goes out on a pass-catching route to just be a less effective 6th OL.

I would guess that most OCs in the P5 ranks didn't rely almost exclusively on zone run blocking, to setup the RPO, to setup the big pass play. That would seem to be KC's philosophy and system.

Like I've said before, any system can work great and produce great results. A 1920's Wishbone system can. It's about having the right players and calling the right plays at the right time, having anticipated what your opposing DC has dialed up. Defense is a game of plugging three holes with two plugs.

You should watch more college football, including a Gophers game.

I don’t know about you all, but I’m enjoying Iowa’s offense marching down the field against USC! :cool:

George Kittle, Hockenson, Fant. Yes, please!

Hmm, should I trust the NFL, or message board armchair warriors? Tough choice

George Kittle, Hockenson, Fant. Yes, please!

Hmm, should I trust the NFL, or message board armchair warriors? Tough choice

A little unrelated to the discussion, but none of those were prized recruits. They were all 3-stars. Both Kittle and Hockenson were lower rated than Paulson and Spann-Ford. 247 rated Kittle at 78. Fant was only slightly higher. All three of them are studs.

I wouldn't. He would recruit more players that clearly don't fit in. Been there, done it, don't want it here again.
Pretty sure he currently croots whomever his HC thinks he should recruit. Accordingly it wouldn't be quite the same.

I'm guessing they'll hire Matt Simon...

...but my homerun hire is Tom Polasek. Was OC at NDSU when they were winning nothing but 'ships, now coaches Iowa OL into the NFL, and has recruited a top 2021 Minnesota 4* to Iowa.

Hire Polasek, and flip Justice Sullivan back home!

Top Bottom