Offensive Coordinator Hot Board: Candidates to Replace KC

Mitu

Reaction score
Let’s hear em folks. Also, anyone that wants to throw out names like Joe Brady, please put down your crack pipe.

Internal

Matt Simon, WR Coach and Passing Game Coordinator

Pros
  • Exceptional WR coach, given what he’s done with existing talent (like Johnson) and new recruits (Bateman).
  • Already familiar with the offensive style while having the potential to add a couple of wrinkles of his own
  • Rising star, as evidenced by him adding the Passing Game Coordinator title last year
  • Local guy, grew up in Farmington
Cons
  • Has never been a OC at any level
  • Unknown how much play-calling experience he has
Clay Patterson, TE Coach

Pros
  • Coached a record-setting JUCO offense down in Oklahoma
  • Already familiar with the offensive style while having the potential to add a couple of wrinkles of his own
  • Strong HC experience, which will be a benefit in providing leadership to the group
Cons
  • Unknown how his JUCO experience will translate to the style and level of play in the B1G
  • Potential retention challenges for Simon if Patterson gets the nod
External

Charlie Frye, Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach, Central Michigan

Pros
  • Broyles Award semifinalist, developed a top offensive attack at CMU
  • Already familiar with the Midwest and can engage in recruiting as well
  • Good with QBs, as demonstrated by making a transfer like the chronically underperforming Dormady work well
Cons
  • Only a year of OC experience

I also hope we take a hard look at Rhett Lashlee (OC/QB at SMU) and Joey Lynch (OC/QB at Ball State). Not sure that Lashlee will want to leave the south, but we should kick tires.

Brian Callahan is the running game coordinator.

I suspect he and Simon will be given a chance at the job via the bowl game. Patterson could be promoted to passing or running game coordinator, if either of those do get the full time OC job.

How about a young, successful (FCS Coach of the 2018 yr) coach already on the Gophers staff and known to PJ and the players? I hereby enter Joe Harasymiak into the race.
Most of his position coaching experience is on the D side but he seemed to transition extremely well into an all around role when given the chance.

I'll hold my vote until enough candidates touting Tight End usage are included as options.

:)

Just to get the creative juices flowing; this guy has U of M history and has done an excellent job as OC:

He even has his phone number on this page and that "call me" look.

Just to get the creative juices flowing; this guy has U of M history and has done an excellent job as OC:

I've always liked him. Did well when the program was in shambles here in an attempt to keep it all together. Was hoping that we would keep him when the HC change came about.

He has won trophy games...

If it ends up being Simon, they can make Patterson the Passing Game Coordinator, and groom him to take over after another helmet school steals Simon away after next season, or he becomes a HC at a G5 school.

Fleck is starting to build his “Coaching tree.” That’s usually what happens with successful coaches in successful programs.

I would hope if Simon or Callahan get promoted, they stay with their position group and the new hire comes in as QB coach (or TE coach, if Patterson moves to QB coach).

Complete guess. Wouldn't be suprised, if we win the bowl game, to see Fleck get caught up in the emotion and give Matt Simon the job on the spot.

Complete guess. Wouldn't be suprised, if we win the bowl game, to see Fleck get caught up in the emotion and give Matt Simon the job on the spot.

If he beats Auburn then he deserves a shot.

If not, here are some other names to consider:
- Kevin Johns (Memphis)
- Rob Sale (Ragin' Cajuns)

As for some of the other names mentioned here:
- Frye's offense at CMU looked bad this year
- Lynch's offense at Ball State looked average this year
- Lashlee (SMU) would be a great hire

I know Rossi got the fulltime gig after the the wisconsin win (I think)....but that was after a body of work over a few games.

Not saying you're wrong but that would be a snap reaction. When Paganos left PJ said he'd interview multiple guys at the coaches conference. Would think OC would be a systematic approach.

Would be a big upset....I would hope that PJ already wanted to promote him if he made that call... would be nervous otherwise.

Simon I'm sure is a good coach but that resume is light for a P5 OC job.

Top Bottom