Noooooooo!!

1. No, I'm not satisfied with 4th or 5th in the Big Ten as the best we can do. 2. Of course I'll give the guy a chance. I just think it's another example of Maturi & Bruininks reaching for mediocrity.
3. Everyone jumping to Edsall's defense makes me think he really is the guy....sigh.

What if those finishes were sandwiched between winning the Big 10, and going to BCS Bowl games?

What if those finishes were sandwiched between winning the Big 10, and going to BCS Bowl games?

Well duh! That would be fantastic! Win the Big Ten once, and then dont go to a bowl game for 4 yrs and I'd be happy. I'm saying that a CEILING of 4th or 5th would not make me very happy.

4-8
6-6
7-5
5-7
8-4
6-6

that's the kind of scenario I dont want to see.

I agree with your sentiment. Though I will renew my season tickets and put my heart and soul into it.....because I know nothing else!

if he is the best canidate available i hope maturi is fired...a losing conference record, barely over .500, and he is 52 years old. now if he was 50+ with an impressive record i would be on board. im sorry but as a big ten school we should be better than this and we should expect better than him. just my opinion, i will probably change my mind if he wins right away but right now i feel like maturi killed the football program!

obviously it could be a dozen other guys but im standing on the cliff looking down, waiting for the announcement!

Edsall is not a sexy hire, but I am not going to cut myself if he is the guy.

Winning the Big East isn't the most glamorous, but it is still winning a conference, and then being given an automatic bid to a BCS bowl.

For all intensive purposes we need a program builder, Edsall has coached a team that has only been D1 for 10 years, and only been in the Big East for 6 years, in to a BCS bowl.

if he is the best canidate available i hope maturi is fired...a losing conference record, barely over .500, and he is 52 years old. now if he was 50+ with an impressive record i would be on board. im sorry but as a big ten school we should be better than this and we should expect better than him. just my opinion, i will probably change my mind if he wins right away but right now i feel like maturi killed the football program!

OMFG!

oops, i have upset you, i should have said. edsall would/will be a great hire because all he did was dominate in the big east. thank the good lord for maturi for the contract extension to mason, the hiring of brewster, and maybe now bringing in such a great man in edsall. i apologize for my ignorance and giving my opinion on a message board!

I find it amazing that a coaches record is even considered by people when it comes to this hire. A guy comes into a program with nothing and spends three years turning the program around. Steady progress is made and the fourth year is 8-4, 9-3 etc. His record is not going to be great but does it mean he is not a good to great coach. He is obviously capable of turning around a program, which is exactly what we need.

For comparisons sake what is UConn winning the Big East comparable to? Indiana winning the Big Ten, Minnesota winning the Big Ten? Its too bad that Edsall would be seen as a disappointing hire by so many on this board.

oops, i have upset you, i should have said. edsall would/will be a great hire because all he did was dominate in the big east. thank the good lord for maturi for the contract extension to mason, the hiring of brewster, and maybe now bringing in such a great man in edsall. i apologize for my ignorance and giving my opinion on a message board!

no, but maybe something in the rational middle would've been a little more well received

I'm just suggesting the possibility that you may be overreacting a little bit.

Feel free to continue your Chicken Little-themed freakout now.

I find it amazing that a coaches record is even considered by people when it comes to this hire. A guy comes into a program with nothing and spends three years turning the program around. Steady progress is made and the fourth year is 8-4, 9-3 etc. His record is not going to be great but does it mean he is not a good to great coach. He is obviously capable of turning around a program, which is exactly what we need.

For comparisons sake what is UConn winning the Big East comparable to? Indiana winning the Big Ten, Minnesota winning the Big Ten? Its too bad that Edsall would be seen as a disappointing hire by so many on this board.

why? a coach with a losing record isnt considered a "good coach!" isnt their record a major factor for a "coaching resume?"

if record isnt a factor what is?

I'm just suggesting the possibility that you may be overreacting a little bit.

Feel free to continue your Chicken Little-themed freakout now.

im not actually on a cliff-that was a sad joke! i should have just said edsall is not a good hire and left it at that my apologies!

why? a coach with a losing record isnt considered a "good coach!" isnt their record a major factor for a "coaching resume?"

with his record he was seriously considered for the Notre Dame job. For you though he isn't good enough for the Minnesota job? Unbelievable.

A couple things here:

1. Why would Edsall even want to come to MN? It's not obvious to me AT ALL that this is a better job than UConn. The Big East is an easier conference to win and MN is not an obviously more prestigious school. If he's looking to move up, you'd think he'd win the conference another time or 2 and move to a top-20 program. Could he get more $$ here? I have no idea what he makes at UConn.

2. It simply amazes me that you guys wouldn't be very, very happy with a guy who is going to win a BCS conference. Please, please don't tell me it's the worst BCS conference.

I think there's a large segment on this board that simply won't be happy unless Urban Meyer or Nick Saban is hired. Even then, they'd say, "Well, Urban really tanked this year - they didn't even win their division, let alone the conference."

with his record he was seriously considered for the Notre Dame job. For you though he isn't good enough for the Minnesota job? Unbelievable.

does that mean he was top 2? or top 10? or top 20? what does strongly considered mean for a coaching job? does that mean they interviewed as many canidates as they could and said that edsall was a top canidate? but then they decided to go a different route? im confused why many think "being considered" means he was for sure going to get hired if they didnt interview someone else!

So a guy takes over a toilet program and goes 1-11 then 3-9, 7-5, 10-2. That's 21-27, would this be a bad coach? Seems to me its a guy who know how to turn around a program and his overall record would not be the most relevant item on his resume. Both Edsall and Hoke are like this and many think because of their sub .500 record they would be a mediocre hire. Yet each has taken poor programs and turned them into winners. Would seem to be better to look at what a coach has done in his last couple of years if you want to look at a record. Steady improvement > overall record.

Not to mention this is what we will be asking this coach to do. Take a poor program and turn it into a winner.

im not actually on a cliff-that was a sad joke! i should have just said edsall is not a good hire and left it at that my apologies!

Total: 73–69 with one First Place finish (pending tonight's game) and a 3-1 record in Bowl games. Not a great record but not a losing one.

does that mean he was top 2? or top 10? or top 20? what does strongly considered mean for a coaching job? does that mean they interviewed as many canidates as they could and said that edsall was a top canidate? but then they decided to go a different route? im confused why many think "being considered" means he was for sure going to get hired if they didnt interview someone else!

Wasn't Edsall the runner up to Kelly at ND?

Wasn't Edsall the runner up to Kelly at ND?

is there a "runner up' if you dont get the job? you dont get points for not getting the job. you either get it or you dont! its all speculation when people say things like he was the runner up! im sure they said that about everyone they interviewed

One thing given the poor recruiting results, perhaps due to the circumstances, he must be a heck of a coach.

Edsall teams are well coached, run the ball and play solid defense.

yea he would be a terrible hire.

is there a "runner up' if you dont get the job? you dont get points for not getting the job. you either get it or you dont! its all speculation when people say things like he was the runner up! im sure they said that about everyone they interviewed

Yeah there is. It means if the first choice is not offered the job then you would be called. I have been in that position myself. It seems being second choice at ND should be good enough for us? Anyone who doesn't think so is delusional.

Very constructive thread. Maybe they can delay the announcement so we have time to rip a couple of more candidates. At least everyone has gotten a lot of practice looking for the negatives of every single coach in the country.

Yeah there is. It means if the first choice is not offered the job then you would be called. I have been in that position myself. It seems being second choice at ND should be good enough for us? Anyone who doesn't think so is delusional.

i think youre high to think notre dame is going to go out and say, "we just wanted to let the public know that if kelly wasnt available we would have for sure hired randy! the guy was just so much better than the other canidates we interviewed just not as good as kelly!"

it is pure speculation that has lead you to believe an athletic department is going to say anything like that! it may be one guy in the office who liked edsall more so than others and said that.

Top Bottom