Noooooooo!!

carh1981

Reaction score
please not Edsall....please not Edsall...please not Edsall :(

His recruiting has been terrible (last in the Big East right now), and his teams have been very average. He is Glen Mason all over again.

please not Edsall....please not Edsall...please not Edsall :(

I didn't know Mason ever won the big east...

He can obviously coach his recruits which is a big plus unlike our former coach.

Yes, he can coach his bad recruits to be average. We need someone that can recruit AND coach those recruits. Otherwise we're looking at a ceiling of 4th or 5th in the Big Ten.

Uconn is loaded with recruiting disadvantages!

Are you saying you wouldn't be happy with 4th in the new big12?

No tradition, stadium 20+ minutes from campus, yet he wins. Would be a good hire. Not my top guy but I could get behind it.

Yes, he can coach his bad recruits to be average. We need someone that can recruit AND coach those recruits. Otherwise we're looking at a ceiling of 4th or 5th in the Big Ten.

How did he recruit the LB that took the INT. back 55 yds. for the TD away from Tuscaloosa AL? Can't be that bad of a recruiter.

Doomed. I'm sure Edsall will be some horrific Brewster/Mason chimera, absorbing the worst powers of both coaches.

I will have my hammer out tomorrow, to begin the process of ripping TCF down.

If he's our coach - give the guy a chance.

Big Ten = Minnesota is a hell of a lot different than U Conn/Big East for football.

Heck Rich Rod had a hell of a resume when Michigan hired him and he bombed out big time.

Any coach who isn't a tier 1 top of hire is going to be compared to Mason whether or not similarities exist.

Edsall is in a drastically different situation than Mason and he has had drastically different results. Mason didn't win conference championships anywhere he went. I know the Big East is the worst BCS conference, but UCONN is the hardest school to win at in the Big East. There are plenty of reasons but noticeably is that they have the worst facilities, the worst tradition, they exist in a recruiting no-man's land and they play 45 minutes away from campus. Yet, he looks like he is going to win his second conference championship in 4 years.

I know he isn't as exciting of a name is Chris Petersen or Dan Mullen, but I can't see how Brady Hoke and Troy Calhoun are much more appealing than this guy.

You never know with coaches, but here is what I can tell you about Edsall from personal experience and firsthand knowledge. Take it or leave it, but I believe that he would be a coach we would be proud of.

-EXCELLENT football coach. Makes his players better.
-Makes the most of terrible recruiting territory. The northeast is devoid of talent, but he finds some gems.
-Has a phenomenal staff working under him. The recent NFL draft picks are not surprising if you see how they are coached.
-Garners respect from his players. It isn't just about them liking him. They respect him.
-Runs a rock-solid program. People are proud to be associated with him.

Edsall is not flashy, but he is the type of guy folks here would absolutely love. I have seen it up close.

Think about UConn for a second. They're ten years into d1a football and made the jump to a AQ conference. They took their lumps and tonight they're on the cusp of a championship. Downplay it all you want, but that's a big deal. Plus he has a pretty good rep.

1. No, I'm not satisfied with 4th or 5th in the Big Ten as the best we can do.
2. Of course I'll give the guy a chance. I just think it's another example of Maturi & Bruininks reaching for mediocrity.
3. Everyone jumping to Edsall's defense makes me think he really is the guy....sigh.

2. Of course I'll give the guy a chance. I just think it's another example of Maturi & Bruininks reaching for mediocrity.
3. Everyone jumping to Edsall's defense makes me think he really is the guy....sigh.

Your #1 and #2 contradict each other.

How do you know he'll be mediocre?

As for me - if he comes here and gets us to 4th place in the Big Ten next year - I'll be thrilled.

No they don't at all.

I'm not satisfied with mediocrity.

U administration is satisfied with mediocrity.

A successful head coach from a major conference, I'd take that and cross my fingers. Then again, maybe he'd be the next Glen Mason but that's still not so bad after this last regime.

if its randy edsall im going to be disappointed but i will still follow the team. he is basically a .500 coach and not the proven winner i would have expected maturi to hire. i doubt i will renew my season tickets but will watch at home and hope the program turns around. i dont think i will put my wallet or my heart into it as much because i dont think a guy like edsall is a step forward from glen mason. which really upsets me if he happens to be the man!

go gophers

Honestly, you've had 50 days to prepare yourself for the fact Leach wasn't going to get the nod. Did you honestly think Petersen, Patterson, Harbaugh et al. were coming here?

We're might be getting a dude from a BCS conference, who is winning the conference, who has a winning record and develops his talent. If you're not at least satisfied with that, you've been lying to yourself for the last month.

if its randy edsall im going to be disappointed but i will still follow the team. he is basically a .500 coach and not the proven winner i would have expected maturi to hire. i doubt i will renew my season tickets but will watch at home and hope the program turns around. i dont think i will put my wallet or my heart into it as much because i dont think a guy like edsall is a step forward from glen mason. which really upsets me if he happens to be the man!

go gophers

Wow way to support the program before the guy even steps onto Minnesota soil.

All of you people saying he's basically a .500 coach need to realize that:

1. His team is about 13 minutes away from going to the Orange Bowl.
AND (this one is the most important)
2. The Gophers exceeded expectations this year by winning 3 games.

It's impossible to judge Edsall's ability to recruit by what he has accomplished at UConn. That is simply the most difficult place to get recruits in the Big East and probably out of the entire BCS conferences.

go gophers

I agree with your sentiment. Though I will renew my season tickets and put my heart and soul into it.....because I know nothing else!

We'll miss you.

Top Bottom