Next Gopher Head Coach

However, it is fun thinking about the complete meltdown by everyone here if we do in fact go the “proven recruiter” route and hire a current assistant at the P6 level
I have to admit, seeing the complete meltdown everyone is having is even more fun than thinking about it was. What a swirling poopstorm Gopherholers have worked themselves into. Wish Ben the best of luck. I will be cheering!

I have to admit, seeing the complete meltdown everyone is having is even more fun than thinking about it was. What a swirling poopstorm Gopherholers have worked themselves into. Wish Ben the best of luck. I will be cheering!
They thought Mark Few was coming.

The more I have time to digest this, the more I like it.

This has a real chance to be the "home run" hire we all wanted. The people who should actually know are all reacting with great enthusiasm.

Kudos to Coyle for having the courage to make what he thinks is the best choice, rather than the path of least resistance.

Looks like the stuff coming from Flugaur was all BS. He claimed we had our 4. He was all in on Gates. Repeated that our alleged top targets were very interested. Post the pic alluding to it being Gates at the top. Then today says that Gates declined an interview. All the while nothing on Dutcher. Here's an article on Dutcher from San Diego published after Johnson was hired (keep in mind the after timing is important for how some things are phrased/positioned) https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...-state-basketball-coach-minnesota-ben-johnson

Certainly seems like Dutcher was in the mix. Also we intereviewed Craig Smith and Travis Decuire who's done a nice job at Montana.

I followed him on Twitter for about 3 days. He seems like the kind of guy who loves to hear himself talk.
I followed him, then I stopped. I started up again during this search. Turns out that was completely unnecessary. He is way too much.

Can Ben Johnson get player to come to the program immediately? That is the issue. That is why we moved so quickly to try to shore up the upcoming recruiting classes.

So we got the 8th guy on the list?
Well, we got the 8th guy on OUR list, but he was clearly near the top of the AD's. So much so that Coyle didn't even bother to interview the guy on the top of my list. 😫

I can’t believe anyone believed the crap flugar posted. I saw his cryptic tweets, people actually believed it on a pay site? haha

The more I have time to digest this, the more I like it.

This has a real chance to be the "home run" hire we all wanted. The people who should actually know are all reacting with great enthusiasm.

Kudos to Coyle for having the courage to make what he thinks is the best choice, rather than the path of least resistance.
Hmm...resurrected thread, looking back over these responses. This didn't age well.

This is a huge fuck-up.
This one, on the other hand. Simple and accurate.

Last edited:

Iowa seems to be an annual NCAA Tournament participant...even with that resume Iowans are asking if it isn't time for a change.

Iowa seems to be an annual NCAA Tournament participant...even with that resume Iowans are asking if it isn't time for a change.
Now there's a guy (Fran) who needs to always perform well because his behavior is so abysmal. As soon as he has a bad year fans are going to be tired of him

Now there's a guy (Fran) who needs to always perform well because his behavior is so abysmal. As soon as he has a bad year fans are going to be tired of him
Yeah, that 14 year career at Iowa might not last.

Or until his sons run out of eligibility....

Hoping for a Fleck type hire with the potential next guy.

I know that's not an easy ask, but we need someone to come in and re-brand / rebuild the program from the ground up. Already have a developed / known philosophy, come in and implement it.

If Craig Smith has a decent year at Utah he's the obvious candidate imo. Seems like the ship is sailed on Dutcher. Musselman is probably not realistic anymore.

If Craig Smith has a decent year at Utah he's the obvious candidate imo. Seems like the ship is sailed on Dutcher. Musselman is probably not realistic anymore.
Agreed Muss and Dutch aren't gonna happen. We'll see on Smith. Curious how year 3 does go for him.

The U has unlimited $$$ to hire anyone they want. The athletic department is debt free and the revenue sports are on fire.

There won't be as many ripe pickings next time as there were last time. I feel like Craig has found a home out west. If I were Medved, I wouldn't even answer the phone. Last time, we snubbed him and poached his top assistant. And yes, I know he's an alumnus and former employee.

We
Don’t we pack Williams and Huntington. Haven’t we raised millions in NIL?

How about our awesome new sports facilities? What more could we ask for?
We def don’t pack Williams & what awesome new facilities are you talking about? I’m just going to assume you’re trolling

Top Bottom