Next Gopher Head Coach

His buyout is $10m. And that is in addition to all the extra baggage he brings. I generally don’t trust anything coaches say to the media, but I truly believe him when he says this is his last coaching job. He’s 68 years old with all the money he’ll ever need, and has a low pressure job doing what he loves 10 minutes from his favorite golf course.
"He and his wife love it there!"

Mike Miller. Spent 2 years under Penny at Memphis as his top recruiter.

Just won a state championship as a high school head coach today. His son is a 4* recruit heading to Creighton next year, he could flip him to MN.
With a staff of Sam Mitchell, Saunders, Dave Joerger and Jim Pete.

With a staff of Sam Mitchell, Saunders, Dave Joerger and Jim Pete.

I'd think you'd have to make room for his brother Ryan, who has been a long time assistant under coaches named Calipari, Alford, and Jamie Dixon.

Respectfully, what would Muss come here????
from Arkansas?? Statistically they are a Top 15 All- Time program in my opinion and the numbers back it up. . 34 NCAA’s ...6 Final Fours (10th All-Time) ..Better win % than Indiana, 1994 National Champs, 2 Naismith Hall of Fame coaches. (Sutton and Richardson) Rabid fan base, ELITE facilities. WAL MART MONEY ...Consistently ranked Top 5 place in the U.S. to retire work or live by Forbes and others...I had to research some of this but it seems that Arkansas is an awakening Giant! The Gophers can get it going with the right coach no doubt. I just don’t see Muss as realistic. Go Gophers!
A moment of weakness?

LATEST UPDATE:

1. Moser is not interested
2. Little to very little steam on Dutcher
3. Gates is interviewing with MN and Marquette this week.
4. Smith interviewing this week.
5. Working on a Medved online interview.
Thanks . I’m trusting you and your sources.

Mike Miller. Spent 2 years under Penny at Memphis as his top recruiter.

Just won a state championship as a high school head coach today. His son is a 4* recruit heading to Creighton next year, he could flip him to MN.
Penny is having a hard time keeping a staff together. And it’s not like they are running off to advancement opportunities. Miller to high school and I think Sam Mitchell to the unemployment line.

Penny is having a hard time keeping a staff together. And it’s not like they are running off to advancement opportunities. Miller to high school and I think Sam Mitchell to the unemployment line.

From what I’ve heard, Penny is very difficult to work for.

LATEST UPDATE:

Is that our pool?

So gates, smith, and medved getting interviews.
I’m not sure how I would rank them in an order roght now.

Gates. He’s the highest ceiling guy but the lowest floor as well being so new to the HC world. If he’s the guy I really hope he would be able to find an established assistant to add to his staff. I also think Dru Joyce is an up and coming assistant for him to take along as well. Gates I think is also the best recruiter of the three and would be able to seal the deal woth a lot of guys.

Smith. Of the three has the best resume as a head coach. Seems like a high energy guy as well with a little bit of fleckism in him. Big question for him is can he recruit at the big ten level. His teams have a lot of foreign guys. Which is always a huge gamble. He’s got a close knit assistant coaches with a couple of them being with him forever. IMO he has the lowest ceiling but the highest floor.

Niko I’m sure is #3 on the list and would be considered a low key hire....but I for one think he would be a solid choice as well. Love that he would bring thorsen with him...one would assume anyway. Well respected in the MN high school circles. And he’s done a heck of a job at Colorado state. If he stays at Colorado state their team next year will be very very good and if it doesn’t happen this year, I would bet next year he will be a guy ADs will be looking at for job openings.

I would expect we should have our answer within the next 5-6 days.

So gates, smith, and medved getting interviews.
I’m not sure how I would rank them in an order roght now.

Gates. He’s the highest ceiling guy but the lowest floor as well being so new to the HC world. If he’s the guy I really hope he would be able to find an established assistant to add to his staff. I also think Dru Joyce is an up and coming assistant for him to take along as well. Gates I think is also the best recruiter of the three and would be able to seal the deal woth a lot of guys.

Smith. Of the three has the best resume as a head coach. Seems like a high energy guy as well with a little bit of fleckism in him. Big question for him is can he recruit at the big ten level. His teams have a lot of foreign guys. Which is always a huge gamble. He’s got a close knit assistant coaches with a couple of them being with him forever. IMO he has the lowest ceiling but the highest floor.

Niko I’m sure is #3 on the list and would be considered a low key hire....but I for one think he would be a solid choice as well. Love that he would bring thorsen with him...one would assume anyway. Well respected in the MN high school circles. And he’s done a heck of a job at Colorado state. If he stays at Colorado state their team next year will be very very good and if it doesn’t happen this year, I would bet next year he will be a guy ADs will be looking at for job openings.

I would expect we should have our answer within the next 5-6 days.
Really? How do you know they are getting interviews?

There are only three rumored candidates that fit this description:

1. Musselman - LSU, Nevada, Arkansas
2. Smith - ND State, Colorado St, Nebraska, Utah St.
3. Medved - Minnesota, Colorado St
This sounds to me that Coyle viewed Pitino as too laise faire with the program. There were at least two incidents (one that I think happened shortly before Coyle’s hiring) that put the program in a negative light.

I’m thinking Coyle goes big and gets Tony Bennet. Dark horse, Big Splash type of hire. Fits the criteria, leaks, etc.

If this happens, welcome aboard Tony!

We don’t want no stinkin Medved or Smith. Bunch of nobodies. Gates, while untested, is the far superior hire.

This sounds to me that Coyle viewed Pitino as too laise faire with the program. There were at least two incidents (one that I think happened shortly before Coyle’s hiring) that put the program in a negative light.
No.
I think it's a reference to new possible candidates who may not get an interview.
Pitino and Coyle seemed to get along great.
You're barking up the wrong tree on this one.

LATEST UPDATE:

Way to steal the info from GI and not give them any credit or attribution for it. That's a bold move.

Top Bottom