Next Gopher Head Coach

I don’t know if we have a PJ here though. Maybe smith/Gates? They’d have to go on a sweet 16 type run for me to buy more into that.
I believe those 2 are top targets based on intuition alone. Dutcher is the wild card.

Are there any candidates that we aren’t talking about that might end up with this job? That would be solid insider info.
Bryce Drew. Midwestern ties. Just brought GCU out from the dead to a trip to the dance in his first year. Was successful at Valpo, fell on hard luck at Vanderbilt, but had multiple 5 star and 4 star recruits commit to him. Unfortunately injuries and NBA departures took their toll. Comes from a strong coaching family, is young and this would be the type of program that would be a logical next step.

Downfall, might be too early too bolt GCU.

His wife is from Georgia and went to Florida State. I'd definitely agree there is something to her liking that region of the country.
But they live in Arkansas! Not quite the same thing...

One of the nine states I've never visited, so I can't say for certain, but I'm sure it's nice.
I’ve been there several times. It’s beautiful. Didn’t spend any time in Fayetteville though.

My gut just tells me it will be Gates. I’m not saying he is the absolute best candidate for the job but at this point, it feels like he will be the guy. Muss is my dream scenario candidate like many on the board but he is just not realistic. We will not fork up the money needed for him. I don’t think Dutcher fits Coyles mold for what he’s looking for. Again this is all speculation but like many others have pointed out, it’s odd that BC hired someone else when Gates seemed like the obvious choice there.

I don’t know, but being that Gates didn’t go to BC and is considered a hot candidate, makes you wonder if he’s the guy?
For all we know, the FSU coach is telling him to just wait a year or two at CSU and then the FSU job will be his.

I made that up. But, see how anything is possible on the internet? Free ink.

Any former big time Gophers with NBA playing and coaching, credentials?

Okay, this hiring process is over. I checked out Cleveland State's basketball department, and their Special Assistant Coach for Student-Athlete Development is Dickey Nutt.
View attachment 12081

As long as Dennis Gates can bring Dickey Nutt as a package deal to our Gophers, he's the hire.
There is a joke here about a “package deal”, but I will refrain.

My gut just tells me it will be Gates. I’m not saying he is the absolute best candidate for the job but at this point, it feels like he will be the guy. Muss is my dream scenario candidate like many on the board but he is just not realistic. We will not fork up the money needed for him. I don’t think Dutcher fits Coyles mold for what he’s looking for. Again this is all speculation but like many others have pointed out, it’s odd that BC hired someone else when Gates seemed like the obvious choice there.
All of this is correct, except Muss IS realistic....it just appears that Coyle is not going that direction for reasons unknown and I don't think it is money. I think it will be Gates too, even though I wish it was Muss.....who would be so much fun. Gates could be great!

Ouedraogo realized his skills are redundant and less than those he is competing with. Haven't been able to id the other 3.
Akol Arop, Elijah Wood, Teddy Allen, Yvan Ouedraogo and Bret Porter. Arop coming off a knee injury, but was highly touted out of high school. Agree on Quedraogo though at times early on he showed some potential.

I just think this gets to the changing game, and impact of transfer portal. For programs like Nebraska where they're fortunate to have a Hoiberg and Matt Abdelmassih for a coaching staff, Hoiberg is learning each year what he has for a roster and refining it while building from the ground up. I'm not making him or the program into Duke, I just happen to think he knows what he's doing, and if they can ever get to a decent level, he has as good a chance as anyone to get them there.

I think people tend to look at the transfer portal and assume it means the kids are leaving the program, when in fact it can be best for both the kid and the school they are leaving.

You've said 0%, so I'm going to hold you to that. Even Drexel beating Illinois is about 1.5%, so you're saying that's infinitely more likely than Muss being interested in this job.

You've said 0%, so I'm going to hold you to that. Even Drexel beating Illinois is about 1.5%, so you're saying that's infinitely more likely than Muss being interested in this job.
Agreed. Everything has a price.

He said is realistic, which is false. If he had said is possible, I would agree with your point. So, I updated my post in the Gates thread to reflect this.

Okay, this hiring process is over. I checked out Cleveland State's basketball department, and their Special Assistant Coach for Student-Athlete Development is Dickey Nutt.
View attachment 12081

As long as Dennis Gates can bring Dickey Nutt as a package deal to our Gophers, he's the hire.

I thought you needed to be out of middle school to post in this forum.

I wonder if he's the brother of Houston and Wal

All of this is correct, except Muss IS realistic....it just appears that Coyle is not going that direction for reasons unknown and I don't think it is money. I think it will be Gates too, even though I wish it was Muss.....who would be so much fun. Gates could be great!
I agree with you. You are right, if we really wanted to make it happen we could. I think Muss could legitimately elevate this program to a consistent top 5 or 6 finisher in the conference.

That being said, I really like Gates too and I think he is very unique and special. I think he could end up being a home run hire but is definitely more risky.

Top Bottom