Next Gopher Head Coach

Akol Arop, Elijah Wood, Teddy Allen, Yvan Ouedraogo and Bret Porter. Arop coming off a knee injury, but was highly touted out of high school. Agree on Quedraogo though at times early on he showed some potential.

I just think this gets to the changing game, and impact of transfer portal. For programs like Nebraska where they're fortunate to have a Hoiberg and Matt Abdelmassih for a coaching staff, Hoiberg is learning each year what he has for a roster and refining it while building from the ground up. I'm not making him or the program into Duke, I just happen to think he knows what he's doing, and if they can ever get to a decent level, he has as good a chance as anyone to get them there.

I think people tend to look at the transfer portal and assume it means the kids are leaving the program, when in fact it can be best for both the kid and the school they are leaving.

I've been a Hoiberg fan for years and felt the U should have gone after him after his stint with the Bulls.
That being said Im sure coaches meet with the players to discuss their future in the program after which the player decides to stay or enter the portal. Its a way the coaches can help marginal players to seek opportunities else where while opening up valuable scholarships.

I've been a Hoiberg fan for years and felt the U should have gone after him after his stint with the Bulls.
That being said Im sure coaches meet with the players to discuss their future in the program after which the player decides to stay or enter the portal. Its a way the coaches can help marginal players to seek opportunities else where while opening up valuable scholarships.
I think you are being a little naive about the roster changes under Freddy. He flips his roster a ridiculous amount EVERY YEAR.

It makes Creaning look like a loyalty program. Here is what an article says about the program:
"Five days after the Nebraska men’s basketball season ended, the annual roster reshuffle began."

This is what he said just after the B1G Tournament:

“We’re not going to have a whole new team next year where you’ve got to introduce a system and pretty much start from scratch, which is what we’ve done the first two years,” Hoiberg said after the Big Ten tournament.

The guy treats his players and the team like it is a new NBA franchise filed with rent-a-players.

Why would any high school player ever choose to go to Nebraska? You know your coach is going to turn over at lest half of the roster every year and he has no interest in developing any players.

His program is the perfect example of what is the worst in college basketball.

I think you are being a little naive about the roster changes under Freddy. He flips his roster a ridiculous amount EVERY YEAR.

It makes Creaning look like a loyalty program. Here is what an article says about the program:
"Five days after the Nebraska men’s basketball season ended, the annual roster reshuffle began."

“We’re not going to have a whole new team next year where you’ve got to introduce a system and pretty much start from scratch, which is what we’ve done the first two years,” Hoiberg said after the Big Ten tournament.

The guy treats his players and the team like it is a new NBA franchise filed with rent-a-players.

Why would any high school player ever choose to go to Nebraska? You know your coach is going to turn over at lest half of the roster every year and he has no interest in developing any players.

If you look at my post, I intimated that. Not saying it's great for the game, but given where Nebraska has been and what I'm sure his goals are for the program, this is his approach. I don't think it is just Hoiberg. I think the game is somewhat trending toward a case where we could see teams with a mix of maybe 50% of a 7 or 8 solid player roster being four year players, and the rest a mix of via transfer portal, JC (lesser now). It is also why guys like Gabe who are really solid guys and players, are great to have. A reliable four-year player. But I don't think a lot of teams will have the traditional four-year roster, with just a few xfers. It may not look right, but I think Nebraska fans will like it if there is a winner on the floor, and will overlook the roster changes.

He's losing less than 5 points a game. Players don't like their roles: End of the bench and or minimal playing time they are free to go.

Let's see how many gophers enter the portal.

Things are getting interesting with Craig Smith.

-- Iowa State (for which Smith's name was being mentioned) has hired the UNLV coach

-- Apparently Utah wants Smith, but he views Minnesota as his "dream job".

Have to wonder how long Utah is willing to wait to let things play out?

-- Iowa State (for which Smith's name was being mentioned) has hired the UNLV coach

Love all the juicy gossip you've been sharing with us.

I keep bouncing back and forth between Gates and Smith on who my preferred hire would be...I don't see Musselman as realistic, so I'm not going to pine for what I don't think we would ever get.

thanks for the tidbits!

If I were Utah, I'd want Smith, too. He could return them to Majerus-like past prominence.

And if I'm Minnesota (or any employer), I like the idea of hiring someone who considers you their dream job. That's an irreplaceable and un-duplicate-able intangible.

He's not taking any job before Monday/Tuesday at the earliest.

Love all the juicy gossip you've been sharing with us.

I keep bouncing back and forth between Gates and Smith on who my preferred hire would be...I don't see Musselman as realistic, so I'm not going to pine for what I don't think we would ever get.
If it's between Gates and Smith, give me Smith. He wants to be here and will be more likely stay if he has success. I also think he has a higher floor and similar ceiling to Gates.

If I were Utah, I'd want Smith, too. He could return them to Majerus-like past prominence.

And if I'm Minnesota (or any employer), I like the idea of hiring someone who considers you their dream job. That's an irreplaceable and un-duplicate-able intangible.

I agree with you on both. Obviously it would be great for Utah to have someone who has some familiarity and name recognition within the state; also as previously mentioned, it would be an easy move for him and his family.

As far as Coyle/Minnesota goes, it's great to be in a position to have quality options. It doesn't feel like so long ago, when we regularly heard about being turned down by candidates and these coaching searches stretched out for a month-plus. So much better under Coyle. All that said, a tricky spot for him to be in. If your #1 target also considers it their "dream job" (probably what happened with Juwan Howard and Michigan), it's an easy choice. But if the guy you think has a higher ceiling is not the same candidate, it's definitely a very calculated bet you have to make.

If it's between Gates and Smith, give me Smith. He wants to be here and will be more likely stay if he has success. I also think he has a higher floor and similar ceiling to Gates.
Easy, correct answer. Just that simple.

No offense to you Bad ... but this Tweet looks like it comes from a nobody. Doesn't even have enough followers to qualify for an "official" account symbol. I don't put much stock into this.

No offense to you Bad ... but this Tweet looks like it comes from a nobody. Doesn't even have enough followers to qualify for an "official" account symbol. I don't put much stock into this.
I really don't know if he's plugged in, but a few others on the board have relayed his messages, so he's got me curious. Passed along FWIW, buyer beware.

I'm a middle school teacher, so technically I am not out of middle school. I will be canceling this account posthaste.

Okay, LOL. My guess is you are an English teacher with the choice of posthaste, I would have went with forthwith, less Melvillian. Well at least you didn't proffer a circumlocutory type of fare thee well.

It's not like I stuffed you in a locker or asked Sally to the Sadie Hawkins Dance:)

Last edited:

I really don't know if he's plugged in, but a few others on the board have relayed his messages, so he's got me curious. Passed along FWIW, buyer beware.
I don't know exactly who Greg Flugaur is, but he is plugged into the U somehow. He is usually right when he has talked about things like this (coaching rumors, schedules, etc.) at the U and the Big Ten. He's got an inside source.

Top Bottom