Next Gopher Head Coach

Where did anyone say that "the U will get turned down by everybody"? Can you show me any of those posts? I didn't see them.

-- A number of different people have stated that they don't believe Musselman is coming here. Far and away, his name is mentioned the most as an unlikely hire.

-- Other than that, a couple of people have said they don't think Dutcher will leave SDSU at this point in his career for Minnesota, but other people said that they think Coyle has some hesitations about Dutcher.

By my count, that is one candidate who at least a solid number of people don't think is a viable candidate. Other than that, sounds like a lot of very good names who have been contacted and/or expressed some interest.
I have a post worrying about getting denied by Gates, Smith and Dutcher, and potentially not getting Medved if those 3 fall through. I just can't see that happening.

I think it just bothers me to see so many snippets about Dutcher and Musselman saying no we can't get them. Those are my top 2 guys so it makes sense I don't wanna hear that. I'm just not ready to say those guys aren't coming or feel like there's enough evidence to say that.

Maybe I'm overreacting I just didn't realize how many people had inside information..............

I am just curious how all these people that are so set on "taking a swing at the home run hire" think that they will ever know the innards of Coyle's process?
Pretty confident you don't know either, but we all know you have a hard on for Gates. Most of the other posters on here have a top 3, not a top 1 like you.

I'll be happy with anyone mentioned in our top 5, but obviously I have my #1 choice. Gates is my #3

This is my biggest issue with hiring him. If Gates wins here, this is likely to happen given Hamilton's age.

My other issue with Gates: His starters

Torrey Patton: JUCO transfer Position: G
Craig Beaudion: JUCO transfer Position: G
Tre Gomillion: JUCO transfer Position: G
D'Moi Hodge: JUCO transfer Position: G
Deante Johnson: Only non-JUCO starter Position: F

Pretty confident you don't know either, but we all know you have a hard on for Gates. Most of the other posters on here have a top 3, not a top 1 like you.

I'll be happy with anyone mentioned in our top 5, but obviously I have my #1 choice. Gates is my #3

You're right I don't know Coyle's process and won't know specifics of who he may reach out to privately. None of us will. That was my point all along.

I like Gates, but I'm not putting all my eggs in his basket. I'd also be excited about Smith, Boynton, Dutcher and maybe Grant or Medved (they would both be a tier down for me).

You're sharing info you have. You're also talking in absolutes. Some of us also know some people which may differ in what they are hearing, and we aren't yelling to the world about those. It's all fluid right now.

He also has no need to make it plural. He literally has a somewhat connection with someone that knew Gates. So only 1 candidate.

You're right I don't know Coyle's process and won't know specifics of who he may reach out to privately. None of us will. That was my point all along.

I like Gates, but I'm not putting all my eggs in his basket. I'd also be excited about Smith, Boynton, Dutcher and maybe Grant or Medved (they would both be a tier down for me).

Yup, good to agree.

Gates is my #3, Medved I would be least excited about

Gates' goal was not to build a developmental program at Cleveland State. He obviously wanted to turn it around quickly, so he went heavier on JUCOs. Plenty of coaches have done that, especially in their first year or two at a program. Coaches recruit to the school they are at. Meaning that Cleveland State is not the U of Minnesota. Meaning that it's a lot easier to get a good 4-year kid to come to a Big Ten school than it might be to Cleveland State. If Gates tried to recruit Big Ten caliber kids to Cleveland State, he would fail miserably in landing them.

In the end, Gates got Cleveland State to the NCAA Tournament. That's a big deal for that school and their ultimate goal. I'm pretty sure the school leadership nor the fans are too worried that they're dancing with JUCOs.

I hope this makes sense and you can admit that a coach would be recruiting different types - and caliber - of players based on the school and the conference.

Okay, your post shows he knows how to identify talented transfers, bring them in, and get them to play as a team. All sounds pretty good, especially in this new day of transfer-portal-gone-wild.

Last edited:

I could see Muss being satisfied with his gig and not wanting to make a lateral move. But all of the mountain west guys have to be interested. It would be a nice raise! Richard Pitino underperformed here for 8 years (NIT Champs!) and immediately got a Mountain West job after being fired. I could see Gates maybe waiting for the right fit and thats fine, hes not a seasoned winner yet and it would be a risky hire anyways. We will get a good coach, I trust Coyle.

There is a great deal of noise about Muss and his wife loving where they are but i think hope is a good thing. People change their minds all the time.

Just as I predicted that Pitino would get a soft landing at New Mexico, I am predicting that Musselman will be our next coach. It may take until April, unless they can negotiate a decrease in the buyout (it drops dramatically in April)

Just as I predicted that Pitino would get a soft landing at New Mexico, I am predicting that Musselman will be our next coach. It may take until April, unless they can negotiate a decrease in the buyout (it drops dramatically in April)
May 1. They would have to negotiate something. Imagine waiting until May and then he gets cold feet. Yikes.

"Coach X and his wife love it there" is on par with "the surgery was a success" and "he came to camp in the best shape of his life" for meaningless sports quotes.

No one ever said "He and his wife hate it here. The fans are hicks and the weather blows. He's totally looking around."

May 1. They would have to negotiate something. Imagine waiting until May and then he gets cold feet. Yikes.
I agree, but man... How does one even call the University of Arkansas and say, "About your coach..."

"Coach X and his wife love it there" is on par with "the surgery was a success" and "he came to camp in the best shape of his life" for meaningless sports quotes.

No one ever said "He and his wife hate it here. The fans are hicks and the weather blows. He's totally looking around."
What about his wife loving the south and always wanting to go back ? That can make a really big difference to some coaching families. I am not saying he will not leave but do you think there is a better chance he goes to Minnesota or stays ? There are a lot of basketball people saying he will stay put.

What about his wife loving the south and always wanting to go back ? That can make a really big difference to some coaching families. I am not saying he will not leave but do you think there is a better chance he goes to Minnesota or stays ? There are a lot of basketball people saying he will stay put.
The chances of Muss coming to MN are certainly less than 50/50. I'm not speaking to Musselman specifically. But every coach loves where they are until they're out the door. And we heard the "His wife prefers the South/warmer weather" every time Tubby's name got brought up in rumors too. I think the # of wives dictating where their husbands coach is vastly exaggerated.

Doesn't mean it's not ever the case though. I believe Terry Holland's wife did put the kibosh on him succeeding Clem, but that was probably a terrible idea for both parties.

His wife is from Georgia and went to Florida State. I'd definitely agree there is something to her liking that region of the country.

I'm inclined to believe our insider posts that Dutcher isn't interested at this time, clause notwithstanding. I also believe 247's report that Anthony Grant isn't interested. For my money, nothing else is certain right now.

I'm inclined to believe our insider posts that Dutcher isn't interested at this time, clause notwithstanding. I also believe 247's report that Anthony Grant isn't interested. For my money, nothing else is certain right now.
Somewhere Tim Miles chuckles evilly.

His wife is from Georgia and went to Florida State. I'd definitely agree there is something to her liking that region of the country.
Had a great deal to do with Tony Bennett going to UVA. Quite often it has a great deal to do with what is decided.

Because our major sport coaches have largely failed (to attract attention of bigger programs), and then got fired.

When was the last time a Minnesota football or basketball coach did well enough to move up?

It will be, of course, exactly what happens to Minnesota: finally get a good one, and he's gone after year three.
I just posted about this the other day, and there are exactly 7 of 65 Power 5 coaches who have left one P5 job for another, and two of the seven left under pressure. Two, Self and Williams, left for their dream jobs. It rarely happens that P5 coaches leave. Once you get your program going, why would you leave for another one that needs to start over. Except for the 5-8 blue bloods, the pay for the rest of the jobs are similar. Thus, the reason most think Musselman won't leave where he's at. It's not necessarily a better job, but he has it going in the right direction. Why start over here unless he really has a calling for it. Maybe he does, but it's rare.

So, not concerned about that at all. If one of the blue bloods came calling that means our coach has done really, really well and we'd be considered a pretty strong, attractive job.

Are there any candidates that we aren’t talking about that might end up with this job? That would be solid insider info.

1. We hear from a couple people early on Gates is a top candidate
2. Gates appears to be a hot name for multiple jobs
3. Gates’s wife works at BC, Gates is going to BC.
4. Penn St may want Gates
5. Penn St and BC hire coaches right away
6. Minnesota considered maybe the best job this cycle by basketball media

I don’t know, but being that Gates didn’t go to BC and is considered a hot candidate, makes you wonder if he’s the guy?

Why is there any talk on Muss other than personal desire by the fan base? He has a better job right now and is rolling. Guaranteed Coyle grabs coach from non p6 school who he feels is the best teacher. See PJ. Cheaper salary upfront with greater pay once results come and attendance increases. Will have much shorter leash than Pitino and will be gone much quicker if they struggle. Coyle has proven to be a good evaluator and seems to go with the obvious choice once all factors are weighed.

Last edited:

Why is there any talk on Muss other than personal desire by the fan base? He has a better job right now and is rolling. Guaranteed Coyle grabs coach from non p6 school who he feels is the best teacher. See PJ. Cheaper salary upfront with greater pay once results come and attendance increases. Will have much shorter leash than Pitino and will be gone much quicker if they struggle. Coyle has proven to be a good evaluator and seems to go with the obvious choice once all factors are weighed.
I don’t know if we have a PJ here though. Maybe smith/Gates? They’d have to go on a sweet 16 type run for me to buy more into that.

Top Bottom