Next Gopher Head Coach

He was 60 when he signed that contract. Pretty obviously he was going to have one shot at the Minnesota job. This is it. Having that put in your contract and 18 months later saying "hard pass" to it makes no sense. There won't be another chance down the road.
There's always a chance he put it in there to have the option and is now having cold feet. That said, his dad is now 88. If you're ever going to relocate home, now would be the time.

He was 60 when he signed that contract. Pretty obviously he was going to have one shot at the Minnesota job. This is it. Having that put in your contract and 18 months later saying "hard pass" to it makes no sense. There won't be another chance down the road.
Agree with all of that and that this is likely his last chance at this job. I am not suggesting that he'd hang up if Coyle contacted him and, in fact, I have predicted on this site that it will either be Dutch or Smith who takes the job. I was responding to a post that implied that he'd take the job under any circumstances and was just pointing out that we don't know that he's still interested or as interested. A lot has changed in the last 18 months.

There's always a chance he put it in there to have the option and is now having cold feet. That said, his dad is now 88. If you're ever going to relocate home, now would be the time.
He could certainly decide to stay at SDSU. But "no thanks, the job sucks and so does the weather" doesn't jive at all with having the out in his contract. Why bother having it in there if that's what you think?

Yes, and he’s 2-0 vs Dutcher in conference championship games.
Dutcher and Smith are turning into my favorites for the next head coach. Upon further review of Medved I took him off any list I had because in all his 7 previous seasons as a head coach he has yet to even make a ncaa tournament.

This is with the knowledge that musselman is not coming here no matter what.

You have knowledge that Musselman is not coming here no matter what?

You have knowledge that Musselman is not coming here no matter what?
Bad choice of words on my end. I just don't see him coming here with what he has at Arkansas. Pure speculation. He gets paid $2.5 million a year with heavy incentives. He will most likely get a raise after this year also. Don't see the U shoveling over $3 million for him.

Dutcher and Smith are turning into my favorites for the next head coach. Upon further review of Medved I took him off any list I had because in all his 7 previous seasons as a head coach he has yet to even make a ncaa tournament.

This is with the knowledge that musselman is not coming here no matter what.
2016-17 he was 14-4 in the one bid SoCon (3-way tie for the regular season title), then choked in the first round of the conf tourny, so no NCAA. No idea if they suffered an injury to a star player, or what the deal was there.

Every other year, other than this current one, was a rebuilding year where they didn't have a shot.

So that still leaves ... this current year. If they beat Utah St tonight and then (likely) San Diego St in the MWC champ game, I think you have to update your opinion.

Yesterday someone threw in the name Tommy Amaker Jr any thoughts?

Very interesting name. Although he has done a great job at Harvard and likely is very comfortable there, he will be 56 this summer and is running out of time to get a big payoff before retirement. Maybe part of him would like a shot at the big time again.

I would say that there will be some adjustment in transitioning from coaching Harvard men to coaching Tre' Williams.

2016-17 he was 14-4 in the one bid SoCon (3-way tie for the regular season title), then choked in the first round of the conf tourny, so no NCAA. No idea if they suffered an injury to a star player, or what the deal was there.

Every other year, other than this current one, was a rebuilding year where they didn't have a shot.

So that still leaves ... this current year. If they beat Utah St tonight and then (likely) San Diego St in the MWC champ game, I think you have to update your opinion.
Yup, I get that. To me though 1 ncaa tournament in 8 seasons is not good. Especially when you have smith and dutcher having multiple appearances. Seems close to equal as pitino's ncaa appearances. But when/if he makes it this year my opinion of him will probably only change if he makes a little run in the tournament. I gotta be honest though. I just want a change so even if he is the one that is hired I am fired up.

Yup, I get that. To me though 1 ncaa tournament in 8 seasons is not good. Especially when you have smith and dutcher having multiple appearances. Seems close to equal as pitino's ncaa appearances. But when/if he makes it this year my opinion of him will probably only change if he makes a little run in the tournament. I gotta be honest though. I just want a change so even if he is the one that is hired I am fired up.
Believe it or not, Utah State was/is a pretty decent basketball program. Sure, they did a lot of their winning in the old Big West and WAC, I get that. And Smith has done a great job there, nothing can be taken away from him. He didn't take over directly from the longtime, winning coach. He took over for the first guy who did that, and had a fairly poor three year run.

And of course San Diego St is a very strong program, which Dutcher simply took over directly when it was already going pretty well.

Compare that to Niko: first three years building up Furman, a low-major program with I believe little historical success, then that fourth years I mentioned where they had a chance but choked in the SoCon tourny (no idea why, disappointing no doubt), then the next year he took over at Drake which was really bad the years before that and got them back to respectable, then took over for Colorado St, which had been meh since Tim Miles left for Nebraska. Spent two years rebuilding them, which brings us to this year.

I don't think it's quite fair to compare them as apples to apples. But you also can't take anything away from Smith. He had success right away at Utah St, and has continued to do so. He's due for a P5 job after this year, I think, no matter what.

Only question I think is: will it be Minnesota, or will it be somewhere else, like say U of Utah?

Believe it or not, Utah State was/is a pretty decent basketball program. Sure, they did a lot of their winning in the old Big West and WAC, I get that. And Smith has done a great job there, nothing can be taken away from him. He didn't take over directly from the longtime, winning coach. He took over for the first guy who did that, and had a fairly poor three year run.

And of course San Diego St is a very strong program, which Dutcher simply took over directly when it was already going pretty well.

Compare that to Niko: first three years building up Furman, a low-major program with I believe little historical success, then that fourth years I mentioned where they had a chance but choked in the SoCon tourny (no idea why, disappointing no doubt), then the next year he took over at Drake which was really bad the years before that and got them back to respectable, then took over for Colorado St, which had been meh since Tim Miles left for Nebraska. Spent two years rebuilding them, which brings us to this year.

I don't think it's quite fair to compare them as apples to apples. But you also can't take anything away from Smith. He had success right away at Utah St, and has continued to do so. He's due for a P5 job after this year, I think, no matter what.

Only question I think is: will it be Minnesota, or will it be somewhere else, like say U of Utah?
Utah State is a decent program, so is Colorado State. But building up USD is just as impressive as building up Furman. Maybe more so. They had never been decent at the D-1 level until then.

I put him in the same bucket as the Northern Iowa coach. If he was going for a better job, he should have done it several years ago. The moment has passed.

Utah State is a decent program, so is Colorado State. But building up USD is just as impressive as building up Furman. Maybe more so. They had never been decent at the D-1 level until then.
Thanks for bringing that up.

USD and SDSU were always bitter rivals on the basketball court, back in the DII North Central Conference days. Somewhat equivalent to UND and NDSU's hatred, and dominance, on the football field. Obviously not equivalent to DI success, in as much as "success" is attainable for Summit League teams (basically meaning, win the league, go to the NCAAT).

But USD hasn't been DI for very long. Significantly shorter than NDSU/SDSU have been.

Lastly, I'm certain his point was mostly just about considering Smith's success at USU. And like I said, can't take away from him that he won right off the bat in year one.

Smith at USU has been significantly better than Medved at Drake/CSU, over the last three seasons. There is no way to argue otherwise. This year could be an inflection point, but it's impossible to know at this moment.

What has Ben done to prove he’s a worthy heir apparent? He’s a great dude, does well on the recruiting trail, but what about his tenure here or anywhere else makes you think he’s a better up and comer than someone else?
First, that was in response to someone posting that they wanted Ryan Saunders hired as a "head coach in waiting," and that's definitely not something I'd want.

Second, you already stated why I'd suggest him as an assistant coach... he's been a successful recruiter... He's young... He's local, so maybe he would have a chance with the young in-state talent...

In light of the current environment here, and Coyle's record of hiring ALL white coaches, it's an absolute must that he find a black coach. I've run bio's on a few and there are a few that deserve a chance to coach in the BIG10 or other top D1 school. Why not now?

In light of the current environment here, and Coyle's record of hiring ALL white coaches, it's an absolute must that he find a black coach. I've run bio's on a few and there are a few that deserve a chance to coach in the BIG10 or other top D1 school. Why not now?
Puh-lease, Just hire the best coach and leave race out of it.

In light of the current environment here, and Coyle's record of hiring ALL white coaches, it's an absolute must that he find a black coach. I've run bio's on a few and there are a few that deserve a chance to coach in the BIG10 or other top D1 school. Why not now
This post just does not seem right to me..

It's not an absolute must. Stop it. Gates is a fine candidate. But he's likely going elsewhere. The idea that we should pass over Smith, Medved and Dutcher to reach for someone is silly. Hire the best candidate. The broader athletic department issue is separate.

Name them here.

First, that was in response to someone posting that they wanted Ryan Saunders hired as a "head coach in waiting," and that's definitely not something I'd want.

Second, you already stated why I'd suggest him as an assistant coach... he's been a successful recruiter... He's young... He's local, so maybe he would have a chance with the young in-state talent...
Fair enough. As an assistant sure. As a dedicated heir apparent? No.

Also if Ryan Saunders wants to come here and be an assistant? I’ll take him any day. The guy is a worker and relates to kids really well. I get he was overmatched with the wolves, but he’s not incompetent. There’s a reasons dude like Spoelstra and others like him. For Ryan to actually do that he’d really want it though. He has no reason to. He’s getting paid to sit at home and will have plenty of NBA assistant offers if he wants to stay there

Yup, I get that. To me though 1 ncaa tournament in 8 seasons is not good.

Every situation is unique.

Guys who come from one-bid leagues aren't going to have a lot of NCAA bids. Even with the best teams, it is hard to make it.

John Beilein was a D-I head coach for ten years before he got the West Virginia (Big East) job. He had made two NCAAs in ten years. He made the NCAA twice in five years at WVU. Michigan hired him.

Chris Holtman was a head coach at Gardner-Webb for a total of three years with no NCAAs. He was head coach at Butler (Big East) two years later.

Coach K was head coach at Army for five years with zero NCAAs. Duke hired him.

Bo Ryan was a D-I head coach for 2 years with zero NCAAs. Wisconsin hired him.

Mike White was head coach at LA Tech for four years with zero NCAAs. Florida hired him.

So, judging only by NCAAs without looking deeper is potentially a mistake. It certainly should be a factor, but not until looking hard at the how's and why's and where's to NCAA resume.

building up USD is just as impressive as building up Furman. Maybe more so. They had never been decent at the D-1 level until then.

USD actually had a decent start to D-I, making the CIT in 2010 (2nd yr as DI), then a slight falloff. Smith took over in 2014 and got them back to the NIT in 2017 and CBI in 2018. Furman was trash when Niko took over and had the worst budget in the Southern Conference and he had them in the CIT his last two years. I'm just adding some additional notes to the discussion, not suggesting you are wrong. To me, both jobs were quite impressive, as you said.

Last edited:

He could certainly decide to stay at SDSU. But "no thanks, the job sucks and so does the weather" doesn't jive at all with having the out in his contract. Why bother having it in there if that's what you think?

Are you saying you wouldn't pick an ugly girl as your "hall pass"?

It's not an absolute must. Stop it. Gates is a fine candidate. But he's likely going elsewhere. The idea that we should pass over Smith, Medved and Dutcher to reach for someone is silly. Hire the best candidate. The broader athletic department issue is separate.

Gates is a fantastic candidate. I hope his resume (wherever it is) isn't sullied by the "must hire black candidates" people.

Fair enough. As an assistant sure. As a dedicated heir apparent? No.

Also if Ryan Saunders wants to come here and be an assistant? I’ll take him any day. The guy is a worker and relates to kids really well. I get he was overmatched with the wolves, but he’s not incompetent. There’s a reasons dude like Spoelstra and others like him. For Ryan to actually do that he’d really want it though. He has no reason to. He’s getting paid to sit at home and will have plenty of NBA assistant offers if he wants to stay there
Agree, he'd be a great assistant. No need to do any type of heir-apparent or coach-in-waiting. That's stupid at this point.

Ryan Saunders is getting paid to sit at home and will have plenty of NBA assistant offers if he wants to stay there
If he wants to stay in Minnesota with his wife and kids (with a newborn this week), then a Gopher MBB assistant coaching job is likely the highest level that would be available to him. Assuming he wants to keep coaching, which I'm certain he does.

Every situation is unique.

Guys who come from one-bid leagues aren't going to have a lot of NCAA bids. Even with the best teams, it is hard to make it.

John Beilein was a D-I head coach for ten years before he got the West Virginia (Big East) job. He had made two NCAAs in ten years. He made the NCAA twice in five years at WVU. Michigan hired him.

Chris Holtman was a head coach at Gardner-Webb for a total of three years with no NCAAs. He was head coach at Butler (Big East) two years later.

Coach K was head coach at Army for five years with zero NCAAs. Duke hired him.

Bo Ryan was a D-I head coach for 2 years with zero NCAAs. Wisconsin hired him.

Mike White was head coach at LA Tech for four years with zero NCAAs. Florida hired him.

So, judging only by NCAAs without looking deeper is potentially a mistake. It certainly should be a factor, but not until looking hard at the how's and why's and where's to NCAA resume.

USD actually had a decent start to D-I, making the CIT in 2010 (2nd yr as DI), then a slight falloff. Smith took over in 2014 and got them back to the NIT in 2017 and CBI in 2018. Furman was trash when Niko took over and had the worst budget in the Southern Conference and he had them in the CIT his last two years. I'm just adding some additional notes to the discussion, not suggesting you are wrong. To me, both jobs were quite impressive, as you said.
I agree. I will give you white, holtman, and coach K. Ryan is not in that category he dominated NCAA III for many years. Beilein was about the same when WV hired him 2 appearances in 9 years. But definitely not the same when Michigan hired him. 2 NCAA tournaments in 5 years, with 1 being sweet 16 and the other elite 8. I agree you definitely shouldn't hire based on how many tournaments you made but it is a plus when you compare to smith and dutcher.

All this being said 100% agree with every situation is unique. Medved is still not in my top 5 though but my top 5 might not even want the job.

Top Bottom