Next Gopher Head Coach

We are so stuck on this local ties thing. What 17-18 year olds even know about Dutcher? He is 62 years old too. I like Medved and Smith a lot more than Dutcher. Musselman would be a fool to leave Arkansas for us. Leaving a top 20 school to go to a middling program for probably less money doesn't make sense. Also, Beilin is a great coach but he won't be able to stay around for more than 5 years max. I don't like the idea of bringing in a guy at the end of his career.
I bet it's probably 50% of all college basketball coaches had previous ties with their respective area they are coaching. So I would say it is not just us. Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan st., northwestern, and Purdue is to name a few in the big 10.

We'll either get Musselman or we won't. There won't be any proof of what our chances were.

No offense, but I'll take the multiple reports of his interest over the last 3 years from Reusse and others over your insistence.

I've posted the inside info I've had on this board multiple times in the last week or so. Reusse is trolling Gopher fans. Nothing has been mentioned about Musselman from either of the sources I have spoken with. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

What about these years?

199221–135–9
199320–118–6
199414–134–10
199523–116–8
199624–99–5
199722–910–6
199812–185–11
199915–156–10
200032–514–2

Iowa State was good in the 90's and early 2000's under Floyd and Eustacy like I said before. It then fell apart with McDermott and picked up again with Hoiberg. The job was good before Hoiberg was the coach. Go look at Nebraska's history and try to tell me that job is as good as ISU's. It's not
And after Hoiberg left ISU
What about these years?

199221–135–9
199320–118–6
199414–134–10
199523–116–8
199624–99–5
199722–910–6
199812–185–11
199915–156–10
200032–514–2

Iowa State was good in the 90's and early 2000's under Floyd and Eustacy like I said before. It then fell apart with McDermott and picked up again with Hoiberg. The job was good before Hoiberg was the coach. Go look at Nebraska's history and try to tell me that job is as good as ISU's. It's not
You may not think so today but when Hoiberg turns Nebraska around the players will find Lincoln a more desirable destination.

I've posted the inside info I've had on this board multiple times in the last week or so. Reusse is trolling Gopher fans. Nothing has been mentioned about Musselman from either of the sources I have spoken with. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
whats the latest you have heard in the last couple days?

His source could be wrong, but he wasn't trolling. He mentioned it once and seems mostly in favor of Dutcher. His troll jobs are far more obvious.

I agree with you that it's unlikely because I don't think we will pay what it would take.

My list would mirror yours.

Go Gophers!!
That roughly aligns with my thoughts as well.

Musselman--if he's interested and get-able, the process is over; that's who you hire. He could potentially elevate this program as hard and fast as his dad did 50 years ago.

Smith--the proof is in the pudding. Anyone who's seen them play has to be impressed with not only the schemes but the players' mastery of them. He can obviously teach. It's still almost unbelievable that they've rebounded all their opponents this year. Who does that?! They do that. The only question is whether he can recruit at a high level. But I'll put it this way: going from the experience of our neighbors to the east: if you get a good coach who establishes a reputation for winning and developing, players will sign.

Gates--the other night, while watching the CSU game, I said to my wife: "there's a question of whether you can make this kind of hire based on only two years of head coaching experience, but I think this guy is special." Time will tell, but this guy has achieved in every facet of life: athletic, academic, leadership, assistant coaching, head coaching. I mean, what's to doubt at this point?

Dutcher--of all these candidates, he's somehow the least known commodity to me. All I know is that he's been ridiculously successful so far, and I love the style and aesthetics of the way they play. Plus, he evidently wants this job enough to write it into his contract. Who does that?! He did that.

Medved--you can't argue with his results either. And by all accounts, he's a heck of a good guy.

I love the position we're in with this size and quality of candidates. We're sitting incredibly pretty, with an AD known for closing the deal with his targets.

Medved has gotten 3 star Minnesotans to go to Colorado State and Thorson is well known within MN Coaching circles. I think Smith has the right energy for the job. We need a high-energy guy. Our program is dead we need life
Musselmen (at both Nevada and Arkansas) and Dutcher have had great success at their institutions, despite the fact that they are apparently completely unknown by these 17-18 year old kids.

You don’t think Musselmen has energy?

Medved has gotten 3 star Minnesotans to go to Colorado State and Thorson is well known within MN Coaching circles. I think Smith has the right energy for the job. We need a high-energy guy. Our program is dead we need life
Interesting choice with Medved. Of course, he won't be successful here recruiting 3 star players. All of the coaches that we are discussing can X and O. They can all coach. The guy who will be successful here will be the one who can recruit. Talent wins in the long run and when you are competing with the Michigan schools, the Indiana schools, Ohio State, Maryland, we need to bring in better talent. One positive with Medved could be Thorson. Does he have the pull to be a top recruiter of the Minnesota kids? If he does, it might be worth a shot.

Musselman isn't even going to consider us unfortunately. Arkansas is a top 15-20 program with 6 or 7 final fours and a national championship. Plus their facilities are all elite. I've been to a couple of there games and that place is crazy loud. You can't even hear yourself think. The place seats over 20k fans. The state also produces 4 and 5 star recruits every year. Muss has everything that he needs in Arkansas to win a championship.
Muss talks on our local morning sports show in the mornings often here and he has mentioned growing up in San Diego always wearing a UCLA, UNLV, and Arkansas shirt while he was in high school. Arkansas also has Walton and Jerry Jones money. Nobody will outbid them.

Realistically my favorite candidates are Smith, Gates and Dutcher (he might be a long shot as well). Another good coach is North Texas HC Grant McCasland.

Interesting choice with Medved. Of course, he won't be successful here recruiting 3 star players. All of the coaches that we are discussing can X and O. They can all coach. The guy who will be successful here will be the one who can recruit. Talent wins in the long run and when you are competing with the Michigan schools, the Indiana schools, Ohio State, Maryland, we need to bring in better talent. One positive with Medved could be Thorson. Does he have the pull to be a top recruiter of the Minnesota kids? If he does, it might be worth a shot.
Wisconsin is evidence this isn't true...they recruit low 4 star guys at best. They have lower rated guys than us almost every year and yet they tied for the big ten regular season championship last year and are locks for the tourney this year

Musselman isn't even going to consider us unfortunately. Arkansas is a top 15-20 program with 6 or 7 final fours and a national championship. Plus their facilities are all elite. I've been to a couple of there games and that place is crazy loud. You can't even hear yourself think. The place seats over 20k fans. The state also produces 4 and 5 star recruits every year. Muss has everything that he needs in Arkansas to win a championship.
Muss talks on our local morning sports show in the mornings often here and he has mentioned growing up in San Diego always wearing a UCLA, UNLV, and Arkansas shirt while he was in high school. Arkansas also has Walton and Jerry Jones money. Nobody will outbid them.

Realistically my favorite candidates are Smith, Gates and Dutcher (he might be a long shot as well). Another good coach is North Texas HC Grant McCasland.
Arkansas had not been good since Richardson. Is there a 4 star or 5 star recruit for 2021 in Arkansas? This sounds like a Razorback diversion. I heard he is packing up his stuff and heading north because he likes 10,000 of something, I can't recall the details.d

I finally got approved to post, but a source close to Dutch family said he probably isn’t coming here. Said it’s just not a desirable job and the U just hasn’t gotten it right in a long time. Also stated he has a good gig with good weather. I was bummed by the news. Hoping he simply didn’t have good info (which I doubt) he’s very well connected with college and pro hoops. But I’m still hoping for Dutch.

I finally got approved to post, but a source close to Dutch family said he probably isn’t coming here. Said it’s just not a desirable job and the U just hasn’t gotten it right in a long time. Also stated he has a good gig with good weather. I was bummed by the news. Hoping he simply didn’t have good info (which I doubt) he’s very well connected with college and pro hoops. But I’m still hoping for Dutch.
Lot of steam that Dutcher wants the Minnesota job from various sources. Thing is I'm not sure how high he is on the Minnesota list. Sounds like Gates, Smith, and Medved are the top targets.

Lot of steam that Dutcher wants the Minnesota job from various sources. Thing is I'm not sure how high he is on the Minnesota list. Sounds like Gates, Smith, and Medved are the top targets.
With all the steams I was surprised to he he wasn’t interested according to source.

Wisconsin is evidence this isn't true...they recruit low 4 star guys at best. They have lower rated guys than us almost every year and yet they tied for the big ten regular season championship last year and are locks for the tourney this year
I have one thing to say about this...Coaching

I have one thing to say about this...Coaching
Exactly...i mean of course we need recruiting too but getting high end recruits isn't required. I'll be disappointed seeing rankings in the bottom of the big ten but if we're finishing top 6 in conference i won't care

In his 8 years of being a head coach, how many ncaa tournament games has medved coached in?

Top Bottom