Next Gopher Head Coach

With his current squad they have shown a big improvement from the beginning of the year
Blanten, Mayen amd the (current) McGowens....they have a bunch of slashing guards/small forwards. With a proper point guard and more size they will be good. Hoiberg knows how to build just like he did at Iowa State. Hopefully Gophers get someone similar.

I'd think Dutcher, Medved and Smith would all take the job. Money would not be an issue with Dutcher. He wants this job and we'd probably be about 1 mil more per year than what he's making at SDSU.

Gates to Boston College just makes too much sense but who knows. Great run by those guys to clinch the NCAAs tonight.

Moser and Devries seem like long shots and potentially lifers at that Mid-Major level or at least guys that will stick to their current region. Man I love the way Moser has those guys playing at Loyola. I'd be very intrigued if somehow he was the hire.

Musselman seems like the reach guy. Sounds a lot like the U doesn't wanna pull that off financially or if Musselman even really wants to come here but who knows.

I'm expecting one of those Mountain West guys. Mountain West tournament should be fun.

Last edited:

Dutcher, Medved and Smith would all take the job. Money would not be an issue with Dutcher. He wants this job and we'd probably be about 1 mil more per year than what he's making at SDSU.

Gates to Boston College just makes too much sense but who knows. Great run by those guys to clinch the NCAAs tonight.

Moser and Devries seem like long shots and potentially lifers at that Mid-Major level or at least guys that will stick to their current region. Man I love the way Moser has those guys playing at Loyola. I'd be very intrigued if somehow he was the hire.

Musselman seems like the reach guy. Sounds a lot like the U doesn't wanna pull that off financially or if Musselman even really wants to come here but who knows.

I'm expecting one of those Mountain West guys. Mountain West tournament should be fun.
If Musselman likes it where he's at and Reusse is either dead wrong or lying--none of those things would surprise me at all. But I'm not concluding anything either way without the benefit of facts or at least reliable info.

Another thing I don't know is whether to believe the rumor that Coyle wanted him. I get the feeling Coyle is a big culture guy, and I'm not sure Muss' brash style is the kind of culture Coyle has in mind. But who knows?

If Musselman likes it where he's at and Reusse is either dead wrong or lying--none of those things would surprise me at all. But I'm not concluding anything either way without the benefit of facts or at least reliable info.

Another thing I don't know is whether to believe the rumor that Coyle wanted him. I get the feeling Coyle is a big culture guy, and I'm not sure Muss' brash style is the kind of culture Coyle has in mind. But who knows?
Yeah I guess we'll find out soon (or maybe not so soon if Musselman is the guy). It'll be interesting to see all of these guys in the NCAA tournament. Gates, Musselman, Moser, Mountain West Trio (Hopefully all 3). Fun scouting.

#1 never trust Reusse #2 can't believe Mash is coming just because his dad coached here.

I think it’s Gates’s job if he wants it. My guess is he’s the #1 target. Guess we’ll get an idea if other teams finish their season before him and no one is announced.

Actually I wanted the U to hire him after his stint with the Bulls.
I am sure you did, many people talked about that. Hoiberg is not a big enough of an NBA name to attract the great HS players. He had some success at ISU with bringing in transfers that had trouble elsewhere. Not really a program builder. Nebraska was full of his players already and they had real bad this year...

When will Ptino be officially fired? Do we think that Coyle is securing a coach now before me makes the announcement so he can move fast?

Given the today's article in the Star-Tribune I believe the next coach will be of color.
"Athletic director Mark Coyle has hired 11 white head coaches in his tenure, and it is the only Big Ten school without a person of color in the role of president, athletic director or head coach."

So who are the leading of color coach candidates?

I am sure you did, many people talked about that. Hoiberg is not a big enough of an NBA name to attract the great HS players. He had some success at ISU with bringing in transfers that had trouble elsewhere. Not really a program builder. Nebraska was full of his players already and they had real bad this year...
The attached does a decent job of describing Hoiberg and Nebraska's recent history. It's been said many times, not an easy job. Doesn't mean Hoiberg can't have some success there. We will see.

Given the today's article in the Star-Tribune I believe the next coach will be of color.
"Athletic director Mark Coyle has hired 11 white head coaches in his tenure, and it is the only Big Ten school without a person of color in the role of president, athletic director or head coach."

Gates is the only one mentioned a lot.

The new coach was selected last March. Things have gotten more expensive but Coyle took the risk. The same guy who was notified in March is coming here.

I think it’s Gates’s job if he wants it. My guess is he’s the #1 target. Guess we’ll get an idea if other teams finish their season before him and no one is announced.
I fully agree with this POV. His players were motivated, selfless and frankly not as good of players as on the other team. These are the qualities that are needed at the U. He is the PJ of the hard wood and would be a great add for Coyle.

Just think how well he could recruit to a B1G school with strong facilities in a Metro area.

He is also one of a few without any "ties" to MN, which is probably best for the program.

The new coach was selected last March. Things have gotten more expensive but Coyle took the risk. The same guy who was notified in March is coming here.
So that would be Smith, then. Is this educated speculation, or do you have inside knowledge?

Does that new coach selected last March have a name?🤔

When will Ptino be officially fired? Do we think that Coyle is securing a coach now before me makes the announcement so he can move fast?
Within 24 hours of his next loss, I would think they announce the firing, which would be effective the day his buyout drops.

My only concern with Gates is his HC experience. Has had only 2 years. He has had only 1 good season as HC. It SEEMS like hiring pitino all over again. I stress the word seems because I know not the same styles but they both did not have the experience.

And that is? Smith? Dutcher? I doubt it was Gates a year ago?

Or you could say Smith and Dutcher could be the next Archie Miller and be a COMPLETE flop when moving up...

Glad that leaders don't react to an article the way you did. It is important to have a diverse, quality staff. The key is quality and getting the best person possible who you believe will be highly successful in the position. It is when you react impulsively with the only goal being to diversify staff that you make a mistake, for the organization and the individual. If you are able to do it, great! That can't be your only, driving goal.

For coaches that we realistically have a chance to hire, add Ritchie McKay to the list.

In looking for some in depth interviews with potential candidates, I came across The Basketball Podcast with Chris Oliver that went about 45 minutes to an hour long with Gates, Dutcher and Muss. This does a deep dive on their coaching philosophy and I think you get a feel for their personality as well.

Dennis Gates: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...10-ways-to-learn/id1398261897?i=1000496340691

Brian Dutcher: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...nsive-excellence/id1398261897?i=1000472227280

Eric Musselman: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...fe-long-learning/id1398261897?i=1000445204704

I'm very impressed with Gates and I think if you're going to go young, it's with someone that has a real passion for teaching and the difference they can make in a position like this. For what they may lack in experience, they can make up for it through being innovative in their approach much like I think Fleck is. His wife Jocelyn, also won Nike's Administrator of the Year award last year for the work she's done at Boston College. This is a family that's going places, I imagine the BC job is his if he wants it but he should have plenty suitors in the next few weeks. Glad we have an interview with him as some on here have suggested.

that BC job for Gates is an interesting one....seems to me like that would be some real conflict of interest with his wife working there already. Seems like there could be some awfully sour grapes if things dont work out as planned.....at least something to keep an eye on.

that BC job for Gates is an interesting one....seems to me like that would be some real conflict of interest with his wife working there already. Seems like there could be some awfully sour grapes if things dont work out as planned.....at least something to keep an eye on.

I was wondering about that conflict of interest aspect as well, especially since she works in the athletic department.

Nah, remember MN couldn't afford it last year. And now we can!!!!!!

Top Bottom