Next Gopher Head Coach

What is everyone's infatuation with Craig Smith?? I don't get it.
Same reason with Medved. Same reason there is clamoring for Thorson and Dame Johnson to be brought in as assistant coaches.

The one of us Minnesota angle.

It's the Minnesota angle. People get wrapped up in the notion that if someone who has some sort of emotional tie to the state or university, they will be more willing to stick around if they have great success. There's something to be said for knowing the area, the high schools and all that, but it's not the be-all, end-all.

Also, guys like that seem more "gettable" in the eyes of most.
The MN tie is a bonus to me, not the main reason. It MAY help in local recruiting. For me, it's his track record. Career conference record of 109-49 at three stops. Hasn't stayed at a place long enough to see if he can sustain it with "his own" players, but the only demerit I can think of. Agree with BTP above that he's "gettable". Sitting here and saying let's go after guys like Mussleman are silly. He's making $2.5MM in his second year at an SEC school, where they are currently ranked. He's not coming here.

Remember how we ended up with Pitino? Shot for the stars and whiffed.

What about the guy that replaced Niko at Drake. Darian Devries. Hes won 20+ games with Drake since taking over the past 3 seasons. Midwest guy. I dont know much about him just know he's winning alot of games.

I would love to bring in John Bellien. Though, I think Pitino will be gifted one more chance next year if Carr returns they could have a decent squad with the development of Mashburn and it looks like Tre Williams may be coming into his own. Pitino will never get this team to the upper level of the BIG, though. That's been proven. They'll always be a mid-tier NCCA team or a bubble team and in the bottom-middle of a loaded BIG under Pitino. The real question is can the Gophers do any better than Pitino? I don't see Dutcher leaving his ranked squad in Sunny San Diego for Minnesota. Musselman, maybe, but I know he just took over at Arkansas which is arguably a better program than MN and ranked in the top-25 and trending upwards.

There is literally zero chance of that happening. If Miles wanted to coach, he'd have a HC job at a lesser school in a heartbeat. Assuming he likes the low pressure of being a talking head and maybe waiting for a "good" job to come calling.

much like i said....he probably has no interest.....but doesnt hurt to ask....if the right job for him doesnt come around in the head coaching circle.

I don't really have a name to throw into the conversation, but I would get excited to have a coach that can clearly communicate the identity and culture of the team, plus show how they've accomplished it in their last job ... What is expected on defensive - What is expected on offense - What is the approach to recruiting and development - What type of people we want on the team.

Over the past 8 years, the defense was OK if we had a player that had their own desire to put in the effort. It was never seemed like anyone was accountable for it. The offense has been kind of the same. If someone is good at something, just go do that and still limited accountability. On both ends it never really looks like the pieces fit together and that gets exposed at crunch time during a game or when trying to close out a good season.

I would love to bring in John Bellien. Though, I think Pitino will be gifted one more chance next year if Carr returns they could have a decent squad with the development of Mashburn and it looks like Tre Williams may be coming into his own. Pitino will never get this team to the upper level of the BIG, though. That's been proven. They'll always be a mid-tier NCCA team or a bubble team and in the bottom-middle of a loaded BIG under Pitino. The real question is can the Gophers do any better than Pitino? I don't see Dutcher leaving his ranked squad in Sunny San Diego for Minnesota. Musselman, maybe, but I know he just took over at Arkansas which is arguably a better program than MN and ranked in the top-25 and trending upwards.
Belein is one of the best. However, I think we need a 15-20 year coach here. A builder.

Belein is one of the best. However, I think we need a 15-20 year coach here. A builder.

Couldn't agree more with you there. They thought they had that in Pitino, but it's just too up and down with him. Would you think Ryan Saunders might be good? He is not going to cut it with the Wolves, but maybe a better college coach?

Tom Crean would feel more like a "Tubby Hire" but I bet he wouldn't mind coaching in the B10 again.

Couldn't agree more with you there. They thought they had that in Pitino, but it's just too up and down with him. Would you think Ryan Saunders might be good? He is not going to cut it with the Wolves, but maybe a better college coach?
Risky. I have no idea if he would succeed or not, but he would be every bit the risk Pitino was. Never a college head coach.

In the end, Coyle's phone will blow up for this job.

I maintain.

1. Beilein. Maybe a long shot, but you have to take a swing at him.

2. Musselman Ditto.

3. Craig Smith

4. Medved

5. Dutcher

You should get one of those 5. If not, Grant/Miles etc.

I just don't see how Joerger or Saunders straight from the NBA is a good idea. Assuming they can recruit is too big of a gamble.

Maybe. But the Big Ten isn't a "learn on the job" kind of place. Go someplace else and prove you can win first.

In the end, Coyle's phone will blow up for this job.

I hope so! I am not sure how desirable frigid MN is. I live in AZ and it seems even ASU isn't that desirable for top level coaches and even in-state recruits. I think a lot of people think that because the Gophers are in the BIG it will attract top level talent and coaching. I think that narrative is false. I hope I am wrong though. We need to select the RIGHT coach this time and not take a huge gamble.

I hope so! I am not sure how desirable frigid MN is. I live in AZ and it seems even ASU isn't that desirable for top level coaches and even in-state recruits. I think a lot of people think that because the Gophers are in the BIG it will attract top level talent and coaching. I think that narrative is false. I hope I am wrong though. We need to select the RIGHT coach this time and not take a huge gamble.

Our five star recruits certainly don't select MN under Pitino at least.

What about the guy that replaced Niko at Drake. Darian Devries. Hes won 20+ games with Drake since taking over the past 3 seasons. Midwest guy. I dont know much about him just know he's winning alot of games.
All I know is that he developed and coached up Liam Robbins big time. He came to the Gophers a very finished product.

Risky. I have no idea if he would succeed or not, but he would be every bit the risk Pitino was. Never a college head coach.

Wouldn't be a good hire IMO.

Saunders is similar to Pitino. No backbone with his players. They flat out don't listen to him. Once he is fired here, my guess is he never gets another head coaching job in his career.

Juwan Howard was never a HC, just an assistant for one team in the NBA. Some guys have it and some don't.

We really need a PJ Fleck hire. Moves the needle and has the team basically make the sweet 16/elite 8 in year 3. Train is still progressing forward even with a little back step during the pandemic.

Wouldn't be a good hire IMO.

Saunders is similar to Pitino. No backbone with his players. They flat out don't listen to him. Once he is fired here, my guess is he never gets another head coaching job in his career.

I cannot believe Ryan Saunders is still the Timberwolves coach.
Least experienced, least qualified NBA basketball coach ever.

More puzzling is how much the NBA media is this town has never questioned his experience to gain the job, nor his ability to win games and why he is still coach.

I'm guessing he had a short list before the season started, I think he said a good AD always has short lists for all sports, at all times.

Also I guess the back channel stuff is done via the agent who has an idea if their client's seat is hot and/or they'd be open for greener pastures.
Right...plus Coyle came from Syracuse which is a basketball school. I'm honestly surprised he didn't make a coaching change already having his connections and what not from before coming here.

Right...plus Coyle came from Syracuse which is a basketball school. I'm honestly surprised he didn't make a coaching change already having his connections and what not from before coming here.
He arrived two months too late to do it in 2016. Then 2017 was a good year and 2018 had injuries. He was probably going to do it in 2019 but Pitino won just enough to save himself. Then COVID. And now here we are.

It's the Minnesota angle. People get wrapped up in the notion that if someone who has some sort of emotional tie to the state or university, they will be more willing to stick around if they have great success. There's something to be said for knowing the area, the high schools and all that, but it's not the be-all, end-all.

Also, guys like that seem more "gettable" in the eyes of most.
Local ties help, but he's a top candidate for almost any power 5 job. He turned USD around and is doing very well at Utah State.

Carr's not coming back next year. I'd say Carr, Gach, Johnson and Freeman are likely to leave if Pitino stays. He will be scrambling to fill at least 4 scholarships, 3 of them key players. It's very likely we will be worse next year, not better.

Dutcher has an out in his contract JUST for the MN job. That seems to indicate he'd be interested.

He arrived two months too late to do it in 2016. Then 2017 was a good year and 2018 had injuries. He was probably going to do it in 2019 but Pitino won just enough to save himself. Then COVID. And now here we are.
This is the baseball analogy of letting the ball play you instead of playing the ball. It's Coyle's job to evaluate his staff, which needs to go deeper than looking at the standings.

I cannot believe Ryan Saunders is still the Timberwolves coach.
Least experienced, least qualified NBA basketball coach ever.

More puzzling is how much the NBA media is this town has never questioned his experience to gain the job, nor his ability to win games and why he is still coach.
I know, really? Is it just me, but Saunders comes across as not very intelligent, (maybe even slow) in his interviews. As noted in another post, I doubt he ever lands another head coaching job again.

This is the baseball analogy of letting the ball play you instead of playing the ball. It's Coyle's job to evaluate his staff, which needs to go deeper than looking at the standings.
Not sure I agree. Sometimes it's the hand your dealt. He couldn't help when he arrived in 2016. Firing Pitino in June would have put us in a tough spot finding a replacement. It's pretty hard to fire the B1G coach of the year so 2017 was out. And nothing could be done about COVID shutting everything down.

I guess you can argue he should have pulled the trigger in 18 or 19, but I understand why didn't.

I am on the Medved train but also like Smith. I realize there is a bit of a risk with those two mainly with the recruiting angle. I like the local angle because it probably means this is their destination job . I think they teach the game really well with an emphasis on defense and would really bring an identity

But one guy that could no doubt turn the ship around and who I believe should be considered but probably won't, I believe in 2nd chances, who is more of a known commodity, and who brings the coaching and the recruiting is University of Houston Kelvin Sampson. (He may have been mentioned in earlier posts.) He is a proven winner where ever he has been, but the red flag is a history of NCAA violations and the U probably would not over look that past. In this day and age with the way some people react or overreact the U would be scared off.

I'm all for firing Pitino and throwing offers at Dutcher and Musselman.

I'd be happy with either of them.

The only way I want Pitino coaching the Gophers next year is if his name is Rick.

Top Bottom