Next Gopher Head Coach

Darian DeVries is in the mix as the next head coach. 'Nough said. Over and out....

In a sub par conference??

Belien....is my #1

Beilein spent the first 19 years of his career winning a total of THREE conference titles (only 2 D-I conference titles) in killer leagues like the Mideast Collegiate Conference, the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, the Colonial Athletic Association, and the Atlantic Ten.

West Virginia hired 49-year old John Beilein out of the "sub par" A-10 to give him his first shot at major college hoops in the old Big East. He was hired only after Dan Dakich quit after 8 days on the job.

In other words, everyone has to start somewhere.

Michigan then hired Beilein at 55-years old.

Minnesota should probably not hire a coach who will turn 69-years old during his first season at the helm.

Minnesota should go to a subpar league and find their own version of a 45-year old John Beilein and let him turn into our own John Beilein. Because, I love John Beilein, even though he came from a subpar conference.

Last edited:

Beilein spent the first 19 years of his career winning a total of THREE conference titles in killer leagues like the Mideast Collegiate Conference, the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference, the Colonial Athletic Association, and the Atlantic Ten.

West Virginia hired 49-year old John Beilein out of the "sub par" A-10 to give him his first shot at major college hoops in the old Big East. He was hired only after Dan Dakich quit after 8 days on the job.

In other words, everyone has to start somewhere.

Michigan then hired Beilein at 55-years old.

Minnesota should probably not hire a coach who will turn 69-years during his first season at the helm.

Minnesota should go to a subpar league and find their own version of a 45-year old John Beilein and let him turn into our own own John Beilein. Because, I love John Beilein.
Let's have the real John Beilein for 5 years, then do that....

Never heard of him, so looking at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Joerger

His college ties are to the Moorhead colleges, and his entire coaching experience is with professional teams.

Biggest thing: he's never had to recruit. That is a whole thing that you need to build up experience doing.

But also importantly: he's never had to deal with players who aren't professionals. Guys who you can just cut, if they don't do what you want. And so on.

Not trying to crap on your idea. Moreso saying, would he have any interest at all?

I'd argue that you have to deal with personalities more in the NBA than you do in college basketball largely due to guaranteed contracts.

Contrast that to what Pitino has done at Minnesota. You could say that Wally Ellenson, Zach Lofton, and Carlos Morris were all basically cut for run ins with Pitino and/or coaches on the staff. Then you have another set of guys that were likely encouraged to leave when they didn't pan out as prospects. This stuff happens at all schools, so I wouldn't expect it to be a huge issue.

I would be concerned with Joerger figuring out what he can coach college kids to do as opposed to pros. Concerns two ways there: first, the limited practice time and learning capabilities of college kids are going to be constraints that you don't have in the pros. The second is you can draw up some great stuff in the pros, where your worst guy on the floor is still very likely to make an open shot where in college you've got to account for the lesser ability level of your players to actually be able to make an open look.

A few thoughts, some I've probably repeated many times:

Smith/Medved: It remains interesting to me that both of these guys interviewed for the Colorado State job and the Rams went with Medved. Smith has the more impressive MWC record, but Medved was the more appealing candidate just 3 years ago. On Medved specifically, I think he needs to make the NCAA tournament this year to have a shot at the job. Maybe AD's shouldn't think this way, but it's just a tough sell to make a change and hire a guy who hasn't been to an NCAA tournament and the on paper stuff is only impressive if you know how tough it is to win at Furman or the state of Drake basketball before he got there.

Tim Miles: I can't think of a guy getting fired in the conference from a worse job and then getting a better job in that same conference...and to do it without coaching anywhere in between? I just cannot see that happening. He might be a very good coach, but I just don't see an AD making that hire.

Eric Musselman: I'd be very interested in Musselman to Minnesota, but it's very tough to see it happening right now. Guys just are not leaving high major jobs for other high major jobs unless they have an issue with the AD or something similar that has them looking to leave. UCLA had to pay huge money (I believe at/near top 5 in the country) to get Mick Cronin from Cincinnati who plays in the AAC. Depending on who you believe Ed Cooley turned down Michigan to stay at Providence. I am not saying it won't happen, just that it shouldn't be spun as some embarrassment if we try for Musselman and he says no.

A few thoughts, some I've probably repeated many times:

Smith/Medved: It remains interesting to me that both of these guys interviewed for the Colorado State job and the Rams went with Medved. Smith has the more impressive MWC record, but Medved was the more appealing candidate just 3 years ago. On Medved specifically, I think he needs to make the NCAA tournament this year to have a shot at the job. Maybe AD's shouldn't think this way, but it's just a tough sell to make a change and hire a guy who hasn't been to an NCAA tournament and the on paper stuff is only impressive if you know how tough it is to win at Furman or the state of Drake basketball before he got there.

Tim Miles: I can't think of a guy getting fired in the conference from a worse job and then getting a better job in that same conference...and to do it without coaching anywhere in between? I just cannot see that happening. He might be a very good coach, but I just don't see an AD making that hire.

Eric Musselman: I'd be very interested in Musselman to Minnesota, but it's very tough to see it happening right now. Guys just are not leaving high major jobs for other high major jobs unless they have an issue with the AD or something similar that has them looking to leave. UCLA had to pay huge money (I believe at/near top 5 in the country) to get Mick Cronin from Cincinnati who plays in the AAC. Depending on who you believe Ed Cooley turned down Michigan to stay at Providence. I am not saying it won't happen, just that it shouldn't be spun as some embarrassment if we try for Musselman and he says no.

Nikos work at Furman and Drake was impressive, but Smith did win at South Dakota which is easily as bad/tough of a job as those two.

I think either Smith or Medved would be solid, I do agree that it will be nice to see Niko make the tourney. In terms of the two I'd give the edge to Niko. There is no doubt in my mind that If Niko brought over Thorson that we would get MN kids.

Here’s another guy worth a look.

Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. Remarkable job turning Vikings around from garbage program to competing for conference title in 2nd year.
Seems almost incredible. You look at the five prior seasons to this year ... they won 9, 9, 12, 10, 11 total games. This year they're 15-6.

Doesn't seem possible, almost.

Good question. Maybe I'm overplaying the alumnus/local angle.
I think they're tied, for all intents and purposes.

But for however little (probably next to nothing) it's worth: Niko is from Roseville and went to the U, while Smith is from way up in Stephen, MN (close to Grand Forks) and went to UND.

So I know which one might, maybe feel more loyalty to/have more interest in the U.

Last edited:

On Medved specifically, I think he needs to make the NCAA tournament this year to have a shot at the job.
Seems like all of Boise, Colo St, Utah St, and San Diego St are "in", right now on paper?

A few more guys that I think would be worth a look.
Pat Kelsey Winthrop: 163-93 career mark, plays an up tempo pace and shoots a ton of three's which is exciting for fans. Always near the top of the conference.

Rick Stansbury WKU: ALWAYS recruits over his means, took Miss St to some of their best seasons ever. Western Kentucky has been good the last few years and likely will have a 1st round pick in Bassey, something the U has not had in....forever.

Casey Alexander Belmont: Career 183-128 record, got Stetson on the right path, then built Lipscomb into an A-Sun power and in 2 years at Belmont (his alma mater) he has a 32-3 confernce record. Staples of his teams are a great passing team that scores a lot of points.

Wes Miller UNC-G: 179-132 record 1 NCAA tourney appearance. After a few lean years he has UNCG as the perenial power in the SoCon. Concern with him is if he is waiting for an ACC job.

I think Alexander would be a great option. He has improved and built on every situation he got to, teams play a fun style. Fairly young, I feel like if he would leave his alma mater his next choice would be a life long thing, not like he is eyeing a school to go "home" to type thing.

68 years old. Tubby was 56 when we hired him in 2007.

Why?
Because he's the best coach on the list by a lot. As long as he's in for 5-7 years, I want him. No one is terribly likely to last longer than that anyway.

Because he's the best coach on the list by a lot.

What list? Depends on who is on the list and what we count as what they've done. Thad Matta has actually done more in the Big Ten. To me, he has more of a chance to take the Gopher job than Beilein.

Nearly every single name here has one thing in common: Dutcher, Smith, Medved, Miles, Alexander, Miller, Kelsey, Stansbury, DeVries, Musselman, Beilein, Matta, etc. They are all white.

Coyle's hires at the U: Motzko, Fleck, Whalen, and giving Pitino an extension (thus endorsing him as "his guy") - again, all white. And while I hope and expect we will hire the best coach no matter their skin color, Coyle absolutely will look at black candidates as well. And if all things are equal, he will hire a black candidate.

I'm not sure if that will be Damon Stoudamire, Kelvin Sampson (!!!), a top assistant, etc. but we need to broaden our perspective.

Go Gophers!!

Nearly every single name here has one thing in common: Dutcher, Smith, Medved, Miles, Alexander, Miller, Kelsey, Stansbury, DeVries, Musselman, Beilein, Matta, etc. They are all white.

Coyle's hires at the U: Motzko, Fleck, Whalen, and giving Pitino an extension (thus endorsing him as "his guy") - again, all white. And while I hope and expect we will hire the best coach no matter their skin color, Coyle absolutely will look at black candidates as well. And if all things are equal, he will hire a black candidate.

I'm not sure if that will be Damon Stoudamire, Kelvin Sampson (!!!), a top assistant, etc. but we need to broaden our perspective.

Go Gophers!!
Dennis Gates is AA, I believe.

Top Bottom