Next Gopher Head Coach

Older coaches for the most part. It comes down to does anyone have interest? Sidebar as this thread resurfaces. What happened to Rock Raven and Kayden Betts.?
Obviously Musselman and Dutcher are both reaches to some extent.

I'd say there's a very high chance that at least half the coaches on that list would take the job. Craig Smith. Medved (unless bigger fish come after him). Rice. Tim Miles. Tauer. I'm not as sure about guys like DeVries, Kyle Smith and Sprinkle as they have no particular ties to MN and might have other options that are more appealing.

Maybe we could get the guy we used to have back who has his team at 15-3 after two straight wins against ranked opponents...:)
I am just kidding but I guarantee you that if he hadn't been our last coach people would be talking about what a great up and coming coach he is at 15-3.

Maybe we could get the guy we used to have back who has his team at 15-3 after two straight wins against ranked opponents...:)
I am just kidding but I guarantee you that if he hadn't been our last coach people would be talking about what a great up and coming coach he is at 15-3.
He may still be an up-and-coming coach. Most of his career is still in front of him.

100 percent true.

He may still be an up-and-coming coach. Most of his career is still in front of him.
We should have never hired him and perhaps we shouldn't have fired him either. That was my fear with him, he would finally figure it out and we'd fire him. Opinions vary widely on him but I view him as a pretty decent coach who just could never round up enough healthy talent who would stay out of trouble here.

I've jumped ahead in this thread, so I apologize if this has already been kicked around.

I think Tauer is a really good coach - but being a head coach for a P5 program is an entirely different challenge than D3 or even lower-level D1.

at a P5 program you're going after a different level of player in recruiting - and you have to deal with NIL and the portal to a much greater degree than he does now. there are also a lot more demands in terms of media and being the face of a big-time program. Not to mention that you're facing a very different level of competition on a nightly basis and going into very unfriendly gyms on the road.

could Tauer adjust? maybe. but it's the kind of thing you don't know until you try. some coaches make the jump - others can't.

I've jumped ahead in this thread, so I apologize if this has already been kicked around.

I think Tauer is a really good coach - but being a head coach for a P5 program is an entirely different challenge than D3 or even lower-level D1.

at a P5 program you're going after a different level of player in recruiting - and you have to deal with NIL and the portal to a much greater degree than he does now. there are also a lot more demands in terms of media and being the face of a big-time program. Not to mention that you're facing a very different level of competition on a nightly basis and going into very unfriendly gyms on the road.

could Tauer adjust? maybe. but it's the kind of thing you don't know until you try. some coaches make the jump - others can't.
I am a huge fan of John Tauer but it's a legit question. I have absolutely no question about his Xs and Os and his ability to motivate people.

I do think there is a fair question about the reach of his recruiting. It's starting to expand outside of Minnesota and Wiscsonsin. His most recent class has a guy from Oregon and another guy from Washington - I have no idea if they'll turn out.

If Tauer is interested, which I'm not sure he would be, that would be the biggest question mark. Can he recruit outside of MN/WI?

On Tauer, he's definitely down the list for me because it's a big jump and we need more of a sure thing this time around. But as a fallback option, you could do worse.

We should have never hired him and perhaps we shouldn't have fired him either. That was my fear with him, he would finally figure it out and we'd fire him. Opinions vary widely on him but I view him as a pretty decent coach who just could never round up enough healthy talent who would stay out of trouble here.
Let's see if they can close the deal. Last year they looked like an NCAA team and then collapsed down the stretch just like his last Gopher team.

Don’t think I’ve seen this name mentioned yet.

Dusty May

Not a chance in hell McDermott leaves Creighton for the U
Dance Line daughter in play? Tho past coaches kids have routinely sought matriculation away from the U. Like it even matters. Damn, even blackie hartmans kid went to IU. We should have shut down the free wieners on that guy at that point.

Pitino's problems were two-fold:

1) Especially towards the end of his tenure.....his offensive game plan was basically to hope the star guard (Carr or Coffey) was able to make plays. I specifically remember the completely warranted discouragement with Carr playing hero ball basically every game.

2) He had a tough time developing players. His recruiting classes looked way better on paper than they ever turned out on the court. Even moreso with his last few (HS) classes. He had almost no young talent remaining on the roster beyond Mashburn his final year. (All rankings from 247).

2014 - Nate Mason (Natl. 134), Carlos Morris (Natl. ?), Bakary Konate (Natl. 184), Josh Martin (Natl. 203), Gaston Jayjoo (Natl. NA)
2015 - Kevin Dorsey (Natl. 129), Jarvis Johnson (Natl. 145), Jordan Murphy (Natl. 218), Dupree McBrayer (Natl. 233), Ahmad Gilbert (Natl. NA)
2016 - Amir Coffey (Natl. 81), Eric Curry (Natl. 145), Michael Hurt (Natl. 246)
2017 - Isaiah Washington (Natl. 65), Jamir Harris (Natl. NA)
2018 - Daniel Oturu (Natl. 37), Gabe Kalscheur (Natl. 132), Jarvis Omersa (Natl. 152)
2019 - Isaiah Ihnen (Natl. 106), Tre Williams (Natl. 115), Sam Freeman (Natl. NA), Bryan Greenlee (Natl. NA)
2020 - Jamal Mashburn Jr. (Natl. 122), Martice Mitchell (Natl. 154,) David Mutaf (Natl. NA)

Imo, Pitino recruited eight guys out of high school that played up to or exceeded expectations, twelve that were misses, and another six that were either okay, incomplete info, or derailed by injury. Gets increasingly grim when you look at what he brought in between 2017 and 2020. Carr certainly helped.....but he had a LOT of guys that were not panning out AT ALL.

Pitino's problems were two-fold:

1) Especially towards the end of his tenure.....his offensive game plan was basically to hope the star guard (Carr or Coffey) was able to make plays. I specifically remember the completely warranted discouragement with Carr playing hero ball basically every game.

2) He had a tough time developing players. His recruiting classes looked way better on paper than they ever turned out on the court. Even moreso with his last few (HS) classes. He had almost no young talent remaining on the roster beyond Mashburn his final year. (All rankings from 247).

2014 - Nate Mason (Natl. 134), Carlos Morris (Natl. ?), Bakary Konate (Natl. 184), Josh Martin (Natl. 203), Gaston Jayjoo (Natl. NA)
2015 - Kevin Dorsey (Natl. 129), Jarvis Johnson (Natl. 145), Jordan Murphy (Natl. 218), Dupree McBrayer (Natl. 233), Ahmad Gilbert (Natl. NA)
2016 - Amir Coffey (Natl. 81), Eric Curry (Natl. 145), Michael Hurt (Natl. 246)
2017 - Isaiah Washington (Natl. 65), Jamir Harris (Natl. NA)
2018 - Daniel Oturu (Natl. 37), Gabe Kalscheur (Natl. 132), Jarvis Omersa (Natl. 152)
2019 - Isaiah Ihnen (Natl. 106), Tre Williams (Natl. 115), Sam Freeman (Natl. NA), Bryan Greenlee (Natl. NA)
2020 - Jamal Mashburn Jr. (Natl. 122), Martice Mitchell (Natl. 154,) David Mutaf (Natl. NA)

Imo, Pitino recruited eight guys out of high school that played up to or exceeded expectations, twelve that were misses, and another six that were either okay, incomplete info, or derailed by injury. Gets increasingly grim when you look at what he brought in between 2017 and 2020. Carr certainly helped.....but he had a LOT of guys that were not panning out AT ALL.

And it’s still a hell of a lot better than BJ has done so far.

And it’s still a hell of a lot better than BJ has done so far.

How so? Unless something changes.....so far Ben Johnson's first full high school class is looking like a success with Payne, JOJ, and Carrington all looking competent. Henley is hard to judge because he transferred out. Betts is the only one looking like a miss.

If you are going to flail wildly in your hatred towards Johnson....at least try a bit harder than this.

How so? Unless something changes.....so far Ben Johnson's first full high school class is looking like a success with Payne, JOJ, and Carrington all looking competent. Henley is hard to judge because he transferred out. Betts is the only one looking like a miss.

If you are going to flail wildly in your hatred towards Johnson....at least try a bit harder than this.

Success? They are all average to below average B1G basketball players right now. If they were a success, the Gophers would be a lot better.

None of them are in the same stratosphere as Mason, Murphy, Coffey, Oturu, or even Mashburn Jr.

Top Bottom