New OC ideas ?

I doubt that Tedford is a legitimate option, I think I'd prefer Vigen even if he were.

I doubt that Tedford is a legitimate option, I think I'd prefer Vigen even if he were.

FWIW, a poster on the Bison board said Vigen has/is interviewing for the Gopher job.

I don't think TC cares about who is older, he wants to win now. As far as who he hires, my take is that given the circumstances he must have thought he knew people he trusts who would take the job, or things were so bad with Matt L that he was sure he could do better even if he struggled finding someone. I still do not think the last is true, but we will see.

Agreed. I said this in the other thread, but Claeys was always harping on "getting the ball to our playmakers in space" after Kill left. We saw the exact opposite of that under Limegrover. I don't fault him
We have some play makers, but I also think Claeys wants guys fast enough to make big plays if they get open, and we don't have those guys unless Gentry gets healthy,Still gets stronger, and Jones stays at slot back..

Southern Miss Offensive Line Coach Impressive

Luke Meadows is the offensive line coach at Southern Mississippi. His profile is quite impressive and details an area background. He is from South Dakota and played for Jackrabbits. He stabilized the FAU offense while coaching there. Their offense has similarities to the Gophers the last 5 years. Claeys should look at him.
Southern Miss seems to have a similar offense to Gophers. Western Kentucky is more of a passing offense. Both coordinators, Helton and Lindsey, are impressive. QUOTE=Gopher028;1150820]Looking through the top offenses, here's a list of the guys we could pull...

2 Bowling Green-
:clap:Mike Lynch Co-Offensive Coordinator (Offensive Line/Running Backs)
Sean Lewis Co-Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks)

8 Southern Mississippi-
Chip Lindsey - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach

10 Western Kentucky-
Tyson Helton - Offensive Coordinator

13 Tulsa-
Matt Mattox Co-Offensive Coordinator & Offensive Line Coach
Sterlin Gilbert Co-Offensive Coordinator, Wide Receivers and Quarterbacks Coach[/QUOTE]

I think Vigen would be an excellent choice. Jensen and Wentz are recent evidence he can develop QB's, and his offenses were very good at NDSU and is a system that sounds like it would be a fit for what Claeys wants.

Looking through the top offenses, here's a list of the guys we could pull... 2 Bowling Green- Mike Lynch Co-Offensive Coordinator (Offensive Line/Running Backs) Sean Lewis Co-Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks) 8 Southern Mississippi- Chip Lindsey - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks Coach 10 Western Kentucky- Tyson Helton - Offensive Coordinator 13 Tulsa- Matt Mattox Co-Offensive Coordinator & Offensive Line Coach Sterlin Gilbert Co-Offensive Coordinator, Wide Receivers and Quarterbacks Coach

Tyson Helton is the brother of new USC head coach Clay Helton. I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up there.

I too, think that Vigen would be a very good choice for Coordinator. I would be extremely happy with him.
I think the offensive line coach at Southern Mississippi, would be possibly a really nice fit for Gophers offensive line coach.
I think Vigen would be an excellent choice. Jensen and Wentz are recent evidence he can develop QB's, and his offenses were very good at NDSU and is a system that sounds like it would be a fit for what Claeys wants.

Package Deal?

Anyone given thought that it would make sense to bring in 2 coaches that are currently working together? I really like the idea of Vigen coming in, he and his current OL- coach, Fuchs go back to NDSU and that run of success. TC has said he wants the OL to do OL and the OC to do QBs. Food for thought....

Anyone given thought that it would make sense to bring in 2 coaches that are currently working together? I really like the idea of Vigen coming in, he and his current OL- coach, Fuchs go back to NDSU and that run of success. TC has said he wants the OL to do OL and the OC to do QBs. Food for thought....

Yeah, I've thought about this and I'm not sure how important it is.

On one hand, it's really nice to have people on the same page.
On the other hand, debate and diversity of thought really do promote a more creative and efficient result.

So, I'm not sure, it's a good question though.

Yeah, I've thought about this and I'm not sure how important it is.

On one hand, it's really nice to have people on the same page.
On the other hand, debate and diversity of thought really do promote a more creative and efficient result.

So, I'm not sure, it's a good question though.

The other question in all this is how much flexibility are they going to give the new OC in assembling his offensive staff? Assumption would be that you hire the OC first and then let him be involved in the hiring of the OL coach along with Claeys. But you are also then banking on him meshing well with Reeves, Poore, and Anderson....that or they give the new OC the ability to make additional staff changes if he feels they are needed.

All that would argue he knows the OC can work with them, or more specifically he knows who it is.

Perhaps someone from straight south. It would be outside the box; I haven't heard even one mention. I have no inside knowledge... He would have some minor ties.

Too early to blow my own horn, BUUUUUUTTTTTTT.......I will. Burns tweeted this guy minutes ago!!!!

Ryan Burns ‏@RyanBurnsMN 5m5 minutes ago

As I mentioned on @UMNonScout tonight, the name to watch for the #Gophers OC job is Lakeville native and current ULL OC Jay Johnson.

I played against Johnson's Lakeville teams in high school. It didn't go well for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too early to blow my own horn, BUUUUUUTTTTTTT.......I will. Burns tweeted this guy minutes ago!!!!

Ryan Burns ‏@RyanBurnsMN 5m5 minutes ago

As I mentioned on @UMNonScout tonight, the name to watch for the #Gophers OC job is Lakeville native and current ULL OC Jay Johnson.

I think Johnson would be an excellent choice. His offenses at ULL have been very good. We could do much worse. If this is true I'm excited about the Johnson/Miller additions on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom