New info on WI going for 2

at the bar

Reaction score
On KFAN, PA just said that he talked to some Viking coaches with good connections with the WI coaching staff. PA said the WI off. cordinator was shocked when BB told him to call a 2 point play. The OC even asked BB twice if he really wanted to go for 2 points. This shoots down BB's answer that he had talked to the coaching staff at halftime saying WI would have to go for 2 later in the game. The Viking source was convinced that BB was trying to put 50 points up on Brewster.

There will come a time when we're doing well and Wisconsin is in the ditch.

On KFAN, PA just said that he talked to some Viking coaches with good connections with the WI coaching staff. PA said the WI off. cordinator was shocked when BB told him to call a 2 point play. The OC even asked BB twice if he really wanted to go for 2 points. This shoots down BB's answer that he had talked to the coaching staff at halftime saying WI would have to go for 2 later in the game. The Viking source was convinced that BB was trying to put 50 points up on Brewster.

A logical explanation indeed but if he wanted to get 50 why not just kick the PAT to get to 42 and IF you score again - then go for 2?

BB wanted 50

People, adding the two-point conversion would have given Wisconsin 43. I'm almost certain
he was thinking just one more TD and they could get to 50. I have complete confidence that
that was on his mind at the time.

If he had kicked the XP, and scored another TD to reach 48, going for two at that point would have seemed far more classless. Going for 2 at 41 points, there is some "plausible deniability" at play.

People, adding the two-point conversion would have given Wisconsin 43. I'm almost certain
he was thinking just one more TD and they could get to 50. I have complete confidence that
that was on his mind at the time.

Again, it really doesn't make sense to go for 2 until you have to. It's like being down 15 points late in the game and you need 2 TD's. you kick the PAT on the first TD and then go for 2 if you happen to score again. If Beilema really wanted 50 he should've waited for the next TD to go for 2 because by missing it when they did - he was then down 9 (instead of 8) and needed 2 scores to get to 50.

Conclusion: BB wanting to get to 50 doesn't add up (literally).

A logical explanation indeed but if he wanted to get 50 why not just kick the PAT to get to 42 and IF you score again - then go for 2?

Going for 2 when you have 41 midway throught the fourth quarter is a lot easier to explain than going for two when you are at 48 LATE in the fourth quarter. The child-like mind of Bielema was just clever enough to think that far into it (but not smart enough to realize anyone with a brain would know it had nothing to do with a coaching card).

If he had kicked the XP, and scored another TD to reach 48, going for two at that point would have seemed far more classless. Going for 2 at 41 points, there is some "plausible deniability" at play.

I don't think Bulimia cares about the level of "classlessness".

Going for 2 when you have 41 midway throught the fourth quarter is a lot easier to explain than going for two when you are at 48 LATE in the fourth quarter. The child-like mind of Bielema was just clever enough to think that far into it (but not smart enough to realize anyone with a brain would know it had nothing to do with a coaching card).

I love the coaching card excuse :clap:

What card goes up to 25 points anyways? If I'm a football coach and my team scores to go up 25, I've got bigger issues to worry about if I don't think my defenese can protect a lead like that. what's the difference between being up 26 or 27 points? Either way 4 TD's beats you.

I wonder what Mason's card read during the '03 Michigan game?

I'm not too worked up over it. He's a dick but what else is new. If it was the Gophers up by 25 and Brew pulled this we'd be laughing about it. We'd be saying, "yea, he's a dick, but he's OUR dick" (which is pretty much what all my Badger friends consistently say about BB). It's just lame that he doesn't have the balls to stand up for being a dick. If you're going to pull that crap at least have the guts to say what Harbaugh said after the USC game last year and own the decision.

BB was running up the score to intentionally embarrass Brew-Daddy. Here's his message - you're an idiot and you're making this whole league look bad. Nice coaching. Get the hell out of here before you sully the Big Ten any further.

"yea, he's a dick, but he's OUR dick"

Heck, we say that about Barry, let alone Bielema. (In fact, those were my exact words to Detroit Tiger fans when we were all at the same bar as Barry during the Frozen Four.)

And, of course, none of the above changes the fact that Brewster is in WAY over his head and should be focusing on that and not some other coach's actions.

And, of course, none of the above changes the fact that Brewster is in WAY over his head and should be focusing on that and not some other coach's actions.

A little late for this one. He is who he is. He'll be gone soon. Nothing else to be said other than prayers that the U manages not to royally F up another coaching hire.

And if folks were saying this about Barry...god only knows what Badger fans say in the privacy of their homes about BB.

:horse: The issue is not who Bielema is for me, or how Brewster reacted. The issue for me is that when Ohio State, Penn State, Illinois, Purdon't, Iowa, and Michigan State look at their schedules for the rest of the season they see a W next to Minnesota on their schedule. They don't even give it a second thought.

Bingo

There will come a time when we're doing well and Wisconsin is in the ditch.

No...no, I really don't think there will ever be such a time. Fans have been saying we were due to improve or have a great season for over 43 years and it ain't happened yet.

No...no, I really don't think there will ever be such a time. Fans have been saying we were due to improve or have a great season for over 43 years and it ain't happened yet.

BS, that's loser talk. wisky will end up under our boot sooner or later, it's not delusional, it's cyclical. We rolled them before alverez got there.
It's probably not going to happen next year, but there will be a time when we're up and they're down.

Nothing is forever. The Gophers have improved at times. We haven't won the Big Ten since 1967, yes. But it's not true that we have been horrible for the last 43 years. Time to man up, and stop rolling over for the smack talkers.

There is no reason to think that it will take another 43 years to win a Big Ten title. There is no reason think that Wisconsin will be up every year. New seasons bring new results. We're going to have a better coach next year.

BS, that's loser talk. wisky will end up under our boot sooner or later, it's not delusional, it's cyclical. We rolled them before alverez got there.
It's probably not going to happen next year, but there will be a time when we're up and they're down.

+1 Even the best teams have down years. It's a mistake to think that the future must be like the past. The Ivy League used to be a real power, but that's been gone for decades.

We have great facilities, the potential to do well is there. All we have to do is to make the right hire.

I think BB had money on the game and was trying to make sure they covered the spread. Oops.

I think BB had money on the game and was trying to make sure they covered the spread. Oops.

Thought along the same lines until I noted that this really didn't do anything to help with the spread overall.

ahh I think some one should check out how much money he had on the game wisc needed to cover 23...

Putting aside all the smart ass "we couldn't go for three" comments and the like, the fact remains that Brewster asked for this. He got beat in recruiting on some MN kids and got steamed. He said BB was cocky and he was going to be the first one to run across the field and grab the axe. Gopher fans ate it up. BB responded by sprinting across the field to shake Brewster's hand in the last dome game. In essence, BB showed him up. If you write a check with your mouth, make sure your butt can cash it.

More recruiting battles and more hard feelings by Brewster who seems to lose at least one good one a year to the Badgers.

At the Big Ten kickoff meetings in Chicago each coach gets an opportunity to talk about his team and answer media questions. Brewster, during his segment this August, makes a crack about BB being single. If I remember correctly, it was something to the effect of we're all married and have families except Bielema. That has no revelance to the Gopher team and I cannot recall a precedent for one coach commenting on another coach's personal life. Maybe a coach is going through a divorce, it just has no revelance and Brewster again was setting himself up. He got a response Saturday. This had nothing to do with any coaching card. Brewster made this personal and then got pissy when BB retaliated. All this is just tough guy fodder for Gopher fans to respond to. You have a coach who basically could not settle on an offensive scheme until year four. He has, with a few exceptions, failed to recruit players on defense who can play at a winning level in this league. Here's a game where Brewster is unable to sell "we're close". I think the female sports writer in the Cities sumed it up best by saying Brewster seemed previously connected to some other universe.

By mid-December MN will have a new coach and my bet is he and BB will have a mutually respectful relationship. This will all be forgotten, and my guess it the Gophers will begin improving as a program.

An interesting view of the 2 pt conversion from the Milwaukee paper, a few excerpts:

This 120-game series hasn't been competitive for a long, long time. In fact, these
border battlers haven't played for anything meaningful in almost a half-century.
Plus, Bucky routinely crosses state lines and culls the choice Minnesota players.
And as much as Minnesota claims it tries to emulate the Wisconsin way by hiring its
former assistants and administrators, the programs are nothing alike.

So as expected, the Badgers summarily dispatched the Gophers, 41-23. If you're
bothering to count anymore, that's seven in a row, the longest winning streak for
both sides since the Benjamin Harrison administration, and 14 of 16. You don't need
to parade around with a mythical lumberjack's business tool to show who rules this
portion of upper Midwest big-time college football, but it sure does make for a
pretty picture....

....I can sympathize with Brewster. There was no reason for Bielema to rub it in.
But there's also no excuse for the football team Minnesota continues to field,
either.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/104646344.html

Putting aside all the smart ass "we couldn't go for three" comments and the like, the fact remains that Brewster asked for this. He got beat in recruiting on some MN kids and got steamed. He said BB was cocky and he was going to be the first one to run across the field and grab the axe. Gopher fans ate it up. BB responded by sprinting across the field to shake Brewster's hand in the last dome game. In essence, BB showed him up. If you write a check with your mouth, make sure your butt can cash it.

More recruiting battles and more hard feelings by Brewster who seems to lose at least one good one a year to the Badgers.

At the Big Ten kickoff meetings in Chicago each coach gets an opportunity to talk about his team and answer media questions. Brewster, during his segment this August, makes a crack about BB being single. If I remember correctly, it was something to the effect of we're all married and have families except Bielema. That has no revelance to the Gopher team and I cannot recall a precedent for one coach commenting on another coach's personal life. Maybe a coach is going through a divorce, it just has no revelance and Brewster again was setting himself up. He got a response Saturday. This had nothing to do with any coaching card. Brewster made this personal and then got pissy when BB retaliated. All this is just tough guy fodder for Gopher fans to respond to. You have a coach who basically could not settle on an offensive scheme until year four. He has, with a few exceptions, failed to recruit players on defense who can play at a winning level in this league. Here's a game where Brewster is unable to sell "we're close". I think the female sports writer in the Cities sumed it up best by saying Brewster seemed previously connected to some other universe.

By mid-December MN will have a new coach and my bet is he and BB will have a mutually respectful relationship. This will all be forgotten, and my guess it the Gophers will begin improving as a program.

But the point here is if you are on the high ground--and there is no doubt that Wisconsin's program is on the high ground compared to Minnesota's--why stoop to the level of the opposition? All Bielema proved is that his skin is as thin as Brewster's. And why would he want to do that and make himself look like an ass in the process?

Instead of talking about WI and how superior they are, everyone is talking about what a jerk Bielema was for going for two.
If he kicks the extra point, all the conversation is about how much better Wi and Bielema are.

We are halfway through the season and this is the first public show of BB's dickshine personality trait. He is progressing every year.

Top Bottom