New Commit: Berkley Edwards

Awesome commit! Way to go, Jerry! #9 Running back in the country by Rivals!

backpain-1292835351.jpg

Exactly what we needed in this class a solid RB. Nice get!

Well... The number 9 running back in the state of Michigan, but it's like the same thing isn't it? :p

Rivals has him as #9 "all purpose back" which is a different category than "running back".

Well... The number 9 running back in the state of Michigan, but it's like the same thing isn't it? :p

No, #9 All-Purpose Back in the country. #12 player, regardless of position, in Michigan.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...s/rank-3131;_ylt=ApI0k__lHJPoHYVJBd9G1vtGPZB4
http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...ards-127400;_ylt=AlLz3eBeT3CqLzQIXHWIRNZGPZB4

Lucas Trickle ‏@LucasTrickleGI
Edwards is currently ranked the No. 9 all-purpose running back in the country by http://Rivals.com .

I guess this answers the Kill recruiting question.

Also, he will get the scholarship AJ was going to get. At least that's what his Mom's friend told me.

EDIT: Whoops. Tried to edit my old post but instead replied to my original post. Nice going, Royal.

So how does an all purpose back differ from running back?

Braylon Edwards ‏@OfficialBraylon
Congrats toy little brother @_YoungSuperstar verbally committing to the University of Minnesota. A very athletically and academically

Respected university. I still don't understand how my father and I were all-Americans at Michigan but they don't give Berk a shot.

Oh well Minnesota just got one hell of a talent and hard worker, don't be surprised if he tears the maze and blue a new a$$hole soon.

On top of running duties an all purpose back can receive well out of the backfield. But a true all around back is a solid blocker, pass protector as well.

So how does an all purpose back differ from running back?

I wondered the same thing. I googled it and found this:

a all-purpose is a back who can stay on the field in all offensive situations. Typically they are the most coveted among all skill sets since they usually can pass protect, be a passing threat and still amass good rushing yards.In most cases they have avg size and speed but have very high football IQ and are good fundamentally.

examples:
Landanian Tomlinson
Matt forte
Maurice-jones drew
Brian Westbrook

A running back is someone who is just great at running the football and isnt a threat to catch the football. they are usually big and strong, with good vision and speed.

Running backs:
Brandon Jacobs
Marion Barber
Adrian peterson
Michael Turner

Complimentary backs are usually smaller backs who have great speed. They can usually catch the passes out of the backfield,return kicks,and run to the outside. Since they are so small they can't run between the tackles effectively, so they are paired with a running back who can.

Complimentary backs
Felix jones
reggie bush

I wondered the same thing. I googled it and found this:

a all-purpose is a back who can stay on the field in all offensive situations. Typically they are the most coveted among all skill sets since they usually can pass protect, be a passing threat and still amass good rushing yards.In most cases they have avg size and speed but have very high football IQ and are good fundamentally.

examples:
Landanian Tomlinson
Matt forte
Maurice-jones drew
Brian Westbrook

A running back is someone who is just great at running the football and isnt a threat to catch the football. they are usually big and strong, with good vision and speed.

Running backs:
Brandon Jacobs
Marion Barber
Adrian peterson
Michael Turner

Complimentary backs are usually smaller backs who have great speed. They can usually catch the passes out of the backfield,return kicks,and run to the outside. Since they are so small they can't run between the tackles effectively, so they are paired with a running back who can.

Complimentary backs
Felix jones
reggie bush

Ah. That clears things up! Looks like we got a gem in the making!

if you go by their rating system, Berkley is the #30 overall runningback (the all encompassing category not the sub-category) according to Rivals.

Also, he will get the scholarship AJ was going to get. At least that's what his Mom's friend told me.

What do you mean it answers the Kill recruiting question?

Hope he stays true to his word, maybe Hoke offers him on Signing Day and he has a change of heart and wants to play for the school his brother and dad played for. I hope that's not the case, but you never know when you are dealing with 18 year olds. Great pick up though, hopefully this starts a trend of a couple of verbals in a row in the next couple of weeks. Andrews....Walton....Shortridge

You don't need to worry about this. Michigan has 3 spots for 10 4 and 5 star players they are going after and already have a water bug type back in Dennis norfleet. Even if they dont get derrick green (or maybe ty isaac if usc goes full tire fire) he is not getting a Michigan offer

Congrats toy little brother @_YoungSuperstar verbally committing to the University of Minnesota. A very athletically and academically

Respected university. I still don't understand how my father and I were all-Americans at Michigan but they don't give Berk a shot.

Oh well Minnesota just got one hell of a talent and hard worker, don't be surprised if he tears the maze and blue a new a$$hole soon.

This was already posted

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...ew-Commit-Berkley-Edwards&p=615292#post615292

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...ew-Commit-Berkley-Edwards&p=615295#post615295

Welcome aboard Berk!

I approve of this commitment. Hopefully it sticks, looks like his top options had kind of fell off so we might have won by default, but I don't really care haha

Amazing commit!

This kid is absolutely custom made for this O. Add in a chip on the shoulder against Michigan and this is a potential program changer caliber prospect IMO.
A true homerun scoring threat from the RB position, which is something we haven't had since Maroney.

Welcome aboard!

Amazing commit!

This kid is absolutely custom made for this O. Add in a chip on the shoulder against Michigan and this is a potential program changer caliber prospect IMO.
A true homerun scoring threat from the RB position, which is something we haven't had since Maroney.

Welcome aboard!

Looks like a solid pickup but let's not throw around things like program changer until the kid gets a chance to get on campus and take a few snaps. All of his offers on rivals outside of Cal are from MAC schools. Doesn't mean he won't be a great player for us just seems pre-mature to toss out things like "program changer".

Looks like a solid pickup but let's not throw around things like program changer until the kid gets a chance to get on campus and take a few snaps. All of his offers on rivals outside of Cal are from MAC schools. Doesn't mean he won't be a great player for us just seems pre-mature to toss out things like "program changer".

Just my opinion. I guess no recruit should be judged before they play a down, or even sign, but this kid looks special to me. His brother was an elite college player too.

excited to have him on board! appears to have the potential to be a real solid contributor. hopefully when braylon calls him a stud, he means something along the lines of he will be playing on sundays. though needless to say, he may be slightly biased haha

Might be a good get but probably does not answer the question whether or not Kill and his staff can recruit well enough in the B1G.

I approve of this commitment. Hopefully it sticks, looks like his top options had kind of fell off so we might have won by default, but I don't really care haha

I don't care how we get him as long as no NCAA rules are broke. Seems to me we got Maroney by default when Ill. got a commitment from another running back. Also got Barber when some other commitment went else where and we ended up with a scholarship to offer Barber. Those worked out pretty good for us.

In his conference you can never have enough Big10 quality running backs.

I like Berkely Edwards pedigree, Dad and brother were All Americans at Michigan and they don't even offer? That is weird.
This Edwards will add another dimension to the Minnesota backfield, now we will have a back that can break one on a screen pass, or a jet sweep. We have decent backs in Kirkwood and Williams jr, now the Gophers are adding to the stable of ground and pound.
This is great news, and things are looking up for the Gophers. Welcome Berkely Edwards, glad you are a Gopher, SKI-U-MAH.

Top Bottom