New Commit: Berkley Edwards

I like Berkely Edwards pedigree, Dad and brother were All Americans at Michigan and they don't even offer? That is weird.This Edwards will add another dimension to the Minnesota backfield, now we will have a back that can break one on a screen pass, or a jet sweep. We have decent backs in Kirkwood and Williams jr, now the Gophers are adding to the stable of ground and pound.
This is great news, and things are looking up for the Gophers. Welcome Berkely Edwards, glad you are a Gopher, SKI-U-MAH.

Don't know anything about this kid but that first line in your post is strange. I understand Michigan is going after the cream of the crop but typically guys that come from families with a strong tradition at the school will get an offer based on that if they show any ability at all.

Players like this cause you to want them to be able to immediately sign the LOIs.

Anyway, I still think Coach Kill's recruiting strategy is to 1st target players the helmet schools such as Mich, OS and other top BCS schools would consider as fall back options when they do not get the original targets.

All things being considered, I think it is a right approach at this time so he can build up the team. Though not all of them will make it, some will come through as truly diamonds in the rough.

Just my opinion. I guess no recruit should be judged before they play a down, or even sign, but this kid looks special to me. His brother was an elite college player too.

One of my brothers was Valedictorian in his High School Class. I'm lucky to have graduated in the Top 1/4 of the class. Genes are important, but proof for each individual's future is in what will be.

It's called potential, and Coaching.

Depend on his preseason, but I doubt it. Redshirting with some players is a luxury Coach Kill does not have yet. Not enough depth.
Barring a transfer, we're returning all of our runningbacks. Edwards will likely have the same role as KJ Maye does now, so I suspect that he'll have to be demonstrably superior to him to not be redshirted.

Speculation on if he'll red shirt or not?

I highly doubt he red shirts. This is the kind of guy that can contribute immediately. And RB's are a dime a dozen. There will be another one behind him in no time. Kirkwood & Williams are the same running back. One of them will lose snaps.

I highly doubt he red shirts. This is the kind of guy that can contribute immediately. And RB's are a dime a dozen. There will be another one behind him in no time. Kirkwood & Williams are the same running back. One of them will lose snaps.

i'm sure this is precisely what edwards would love to hear lol

i'm sure this is precisely what edwards would love to hear lol

Well, I hope Jerry doesn't tell him that or we could have another AJ Barker on our hands.

I still think though that the skill positions should never be redshirted unless the depth ahead of you is much greater or you are simply not ready.

Well, I hope Jerry doesn't tell him that or we could have another AJ Barker on our hands.

I still think though that the skill positions should never be redshirted unless the depth ahead of you is much greater or you are simply not ready.

Well of course I agree with your first sentiment. I disagree with the second part, but I guess it depends how you're defining skill positions. Typically its your QB, RB, WR, DB type guys and I generally disagree when it comes to your QB and WRs unless obviously they're the one of a kind type of players.

Since Edwards is a RB I won't get into the QB stuff but I'll agree RB probably is the easiest offensive transition from HS to college. WR you run into more problems especially if you came from an area you dominated by sheer skill or else there wasn't a real diverse set of defenses played. A lot can be said for having a WR who knows how to settle down in coverage. I'm not saying this to be mean to any of our receivers this year, but there were many times they just thought they could "run" themselves open when settling was a better option. I like giving your QB and WR a year to learn the intricacies of the game that are more difficult to learn while playing at a faster pace since your old instincts take over. Just MHO and I respect that you are entitled to disagree. Just giving my two cents.

Barring a transfer, we're returning all of our runningbacks. Edwards will likely have the same role as KJ Maye does now, so I suspect that he'll have to be demonstrably superior to him to not be redshirted.

Personally just don't think Kill has the luxury of redshirting top players at this time. When the talent and depth increase per position he will, but not right at this moment.

http://247sports.com/Article/Berkley-Edwards-Commits-To-Minnesota-104374

Chelsea (Mich.) High senior running back Berkley Edwards committed to Minnesota on Thursday, choosing the Gophers over Cal.

"They made Berkley feel like the No. 1 back in the United States of America and they never wavered from that," Stan Edwards, Berkley's father told 247Sports.

The 5-foot-9 1/2, 185-pound Edwards also held scholarships from the likes of Iowa, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Northern Illinois, Toledo and Western Michigan.

Edwards is the 10th commit for Minnesota in the class-of-2013, and the first running back. He is ranked by the 247Composite as the nation's No. 22 all-purpose back overall.

"It came down to this is the right place for him," the elder Edwards said. "As Berkley put it, 'I didn't choose Minnesota, Minnesota chose me.'"

This past fall, Edwards rushed for 1,329 yards and 21 touchdowns. As a junior he ran for 1,520 yards and 18 scores.

Edwards is the younger brother of NFL receiver Braylon Edwards who played at Michigan. Stan Edwards also played for the Wolverines.

I gotta be honest

I get the feeling the Gophers are in the middle of a public relations stunt. I think Dad and Brother are using this commit to put pressure on Michigan to get him an offer. And I wouldn't doubt that this has been happening for several months now, probably why little bro has waited so long. I wouldn't hold my breath on this commit, my gut tells me he is Michigan bound just like dad and big bro apparently want.

Personally just don't think Kill has the luxury of redshirting top players at this time. When the talent and depth increase per position he will, but not right at this moment.
The immediate assumption that he is a top player is off the mark. People need to take off the Gopher glasses and look at this objectively. He had two other BCS offers, and not for lack of trying (camped at a lot of different places). His brother plays in the NFL, and his father was an All-American. He hasn't gone under the radar. As a prospect, he's about what his offers and numbers say he is, which is an average BCS prospect with the same risk/reward that comes with every high school player.

I like the commit; it's arguably the best we've had so far this year. But the assumption that he's going to come in and take carries away from anyone is way premature.

I get the feeling the Gophers are in the middle of a public relations stunt. I think Dad and Brother are using this commit to put pressure on Michigan to get him an offer. And I wouldn't doubt that this has been happening for several months now, probably why little bro has waited so long. I wouldn't hold my breath on this commit, my gut tells me he is Michigan bound just like dad and big bro apparently want.
Michigan only has a handful of scholarships left, and better thought of prospects in mind.

Michigan could care less about this kid. They allready have 3 4star and 5 star rb's verbaled for this class.

The immediate assumption that he is a top player is off the mark. People need to take off the Gopher glasses and look at this objectively. He had two other BCS offers, and not for lack of trying (camped at a lot of different places). His brother plays in the NFL, and his father was an All-American. He hasn't gone under the radar. As a prospect, he's about what his offers and numbers say he is, which is an average BCS prospect with the same risk/reward that comes with every high school player.

I like the commit; it's arguably the best we've had so far this year. But the assumption that he's going to come in and take carries away from anyone is way premature.

Totally agree, if he had a different last name the fan reaction would not be the same. That being said he very well could be in a Marion Barber III situation in regards to Michigan. He is probably a solid plan B for them should some of their top rated guys back out or sign elsewhere it would not shock me to see him get a last minute Michigan offer, unless they truly believe he is not good enough to play in the Big Ten which very well may be the case. Not like a lot of other Big Ten schools are beating down his door.

Remember some of last years commits and the debate concerning RS. Same thing all over. Top players Nelson/Williams along with a few others playing...the way it is right now...Regardless of name discussion would be there.

Remember some of last years commits and the debate concerning RS. Same thing all over. Top players Nelson/Williams along with a few others playing...the way it is right now...Regardless of name discussion would be there.
This year is totally different from next year. Before this year we had lost our leading rusher and had nobody else established really coming back (remember James Gillium? I barely do.)

I think Edwards has a chance to play, because there's still a niche for a speed back, but that's only if he's ready, and we have no idea if that's the case.

By year 3 of the rebuilding project we shouldn't be starting freshman out of desperation anymore.

Unless Kirkwood or Williams drops weight and gets some speed I expect Edwards to get a good number of snaps.

This year is totally different from next year. Before this year we had lost our leading rusher and had nobody else established really coming back (remember James Gillium? I barely do.)

I think Edwards has a chance to play, because there's still a niche for a speed back, but that's only if he's ready, and we have no idea if that's the case.

By year 3 of the rebuilding project we shouldn't be starting freshman out of desperation anymore.

Never denied the ready part...if he needs to develop then he will probably be RS. All I am saying is that until the Gophers build talent and depth, RS players is more a luxury they do not get to enjoy. Nothing Maroon and Gold colored glasses about it.

Michigan could care less about this kid. They allready have 3 4star and 5 star rb's verbaled for this class.

Really? Would you care to name them? If you check Rivals they have one RB commit listed.

Unless Kirkwood or Williams drops weight and gets some speed I expect Edwards to get a good number of snaps.

I agree 1000% percent. Having two fat backs getting snaps is rather redundant. The effectiveness of a power back is greatly diminished when you don't have another that can actually outrun the defense.

For the record, Edwards was timed at 4.68, so he's not exactly a blazer.

If it's accurate, a 4.68 for a HS kid is pretty darn fast.

Doug Martin, Alfred Morris and Vick Ballard all ran around 4.6 at the combine.

Really? Would you care to name them? If you check Rivals they have one RB commit listed.

You're facts are the right ones. They have 1 rb and are in the hunt for two other 4-5 star types. That said, they will not be offering Berkeley a scholarship. They already have Dennis northfleet and have lots of other players that are of higher importance for the 3 remaining spots they have

Top Bottom